Exclusive: Family Lays Down the Law(less)

I see a healthy ratings spike in No Ordinary Family‘s future.

Sources confirm to me exclusively that ABC’s freshman sci-fi comedy has tapped the fierce and fraktabulous Lucy Lawless to join the cast for at least five episodes.

According a Family friend, Lawless will play a powerful woman and potential adversary for the Powell clan whose agenda could put the family in danger.

Lawless’ arc will carry the show (which airs Tuesdays at 8 pm) through the end of the season, and hopefully create enough momentum to earn the underrated Family a renewal.

After completing her Family duties Lawless will head to New Zealand to start shooting the second season of Starz’ Spartacus: Blood and Sand.

Thoughts? Are you more likely to pay Family a visit with Lawless on board? Sound off in the comments!

1. Pat Howard says:

This is great news, but it’s really up to the writers room whether this mediocre show gains any more traction. The story development has been pitiful so far. As soon as anything interesting happens, they hit the reset button at the beginning of the next episode.

Maybe Lucy Lawless can kick their asses into getting the story going now that even Joshua (or whatever his name is this week) has been revealed to Stephanie and Katie.

• Leslie says:

“As soon as anything interesting happens, they hit the reset button at the beginning of the next episode.”

I’ve been watching, but I couldn’t put my finger on what has been bothering me. This is totally a problem. The only storyline that hasn’t seemed to have interrupted continuity is the one with Josh Stewart and Autumn Reeser’s characters.

• rachels says:

As much as I enjoy this show, you make an extremely valid point. Like when Daphne lost her memory? I thought that was going to be big. I was disappointed when it really, really wasn’t.

• Elphie says:

I think this was a bad move on the writers part…by solving Daphne’s memory too quickly people felt cheated including me…
        But Kay Panabaker (Daphne) wrote on twitter that this mind-wipe will be readdressed and there will be a pay off… :)

2. del says:

wooohooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. chattypatra says:

That is ten kinds of awesome! I watch the show because of Michael Chiklis, but this is going to raise everyone’s game.

4. Awsome says:

this is awsome, by the way i love the show. :)

5. Will says:

I stopped watching this show after a few episodes, but I might tune in for these 5.

6. Jones19 says:

This show is sooo vanilla

7. stephaniw says:

Come on guys! This is a good show! With all the violence and sexuality on TV this is a nice, good show to that makes you happy when you watch it. I wish we had more No Ordinary Family-like shows that are fun, adventurous, and happy!

• Chelhitch says:

Couldn’t agree more! Great show, how could ANYTHING Chiklis is in be bad?? Nice to have good action and comedy in a family friendly format! We have too little of that these days!

• cheryl stiffler says:

We also watch the show as a family. We started with the first episode, and haven’t missed one. We love that it’s a family oriented show. Like it has been said, can’t find much of that anymore.

• BarbaraaK says:

We watch this show as a family. It’s a welcome change from the rest of current programming, with or without Lucy Lawless. Now how about one like this with NO “SPECIAL ABILITIES”??? lol I know, I’ll go pick up a DVD set of the Brady Bunch… sigh…

8. Rusty says:

Too bad she’s going to play a bad girl. Would have preferred her to be an Allie of the family. I agree it will be a good ratings bump for them. I will be awaiting these episodes breathlessly. Like the show already this is just a little desert.

• rachels says:

“Too bad she’s going to play a bad girl. Would have preferred her to be an Allie of the family.”

I agree completely! I think Lucy Lawless is the type of character I’d want to be on the good side. Or perhaps have a similar storyline to “Joshua”, where she eventually crosses over. Though I really wish Joshua would clue the Powell’s in already. It’s started to annoy me that they’re so clueless to everything that’s going on.

9. Ghost says:

I stopped watching the show after the first couple episodes…it seemed kind of bland. But Lucy Lawless is one of my favorite tv actresses so I will be watching every episode she is in!

10. Bob says:

This is one of my favorite new shows of the season. I hope it gets renewed. Looking forward to the episodes with LL in it.

To stephaniw, do you really think this is a happy show? The kids are plagued by teen angst. The entire family is burdened by their secret and fear someone will discover it. And their safety always seems to be at risk. You call that happy?

• Kenya says:

Compared to how the family was when the show first started, they are happy. the husband and wife are happily in love and faithful. The kids are well rounded and get along with each other and their parents.

• rachels says:

Plagued by teen angst? I think that’s a little dramatic. The kids moral dilemmas are no different than what the Brady Bunch faced. When the moral of every episode seems to be about family or togetherness, I’d call that happy.

11. darclyte says:

Great news as I’m a HUUUGE LL fan, but to really improve the show (a) HAVE JIM WEAR A MASK ALREADY! I mean, seriously, it’s annoying. They talk about how he keeps almost getting caught. Wear a mask. Problem solved. I think a Luchre Libre mask would work because it isn’t “scary” or “evil” as say a black ski mask or rubber clown mask could be. (b) Stop rehashing the same arguments over and over. (c) Do a little more “super heroing” and a little less “family crisis.”

• Casey says:

Jim wearing a mask would be so corny. And LOL “a little less family crisis”. It’s called No Ordinary FAMILY. It’s a show about FAMILY.

12. Brooke says:

Well now I have to watch this just for Lucy! <3

13. Hetsreia says:

Xena rocks!

14. govita rubio says:

I was slightly interested in this show but now, I’m seriously going to be tuning in, recording and generally, just salivating over it.
    Smart move ABC.
    Now – recruit Renee O’Connor and you will have made it perfect!
    g

15. Vince says:

Great this show needs a boast

16. Zturk says:

Does this mean that she didnt die at the end of spartacus season 1?It sure looked lke it…Maybe flashbacks?

17. tony says:

This show is boring and should be canceled/ why hire Lucy when she can even act,the blonde on xena is the real actress who had chops.Lawless sucks.

18. Casey says:

This is a more unpopular opinion than I thought, but I LOVE THIS SHOW. Sue me. I don’t find it boring at all. I’ve tuned in weekly. I love the cast and the plot, and I never get sick of it.

• Kenya says:

I have to agree. I’ve loved Michael Chiklis since the Commiss so there was no way I was not going to give his show a chance and I actually enjoyed it. I’m a faithful viewer and can’t wait to see what else happens. Especially since the actress who plays Katie is pregnant in real life and the execs are going to have to find a way to either write around it or write it in! Could u imagine Katie having Joshua’s child. She’s really going to be forced to grown up and mature then.

19. Donna Martenson says:

My husband and I LOVE this show! We look forward to watching it every week. Didn’t realize it might be on the “hit” list. What a shame – seems like the good, old fashioned type shows are the ones “hacked!” Sure hope they keep this one – Great Family Series!! :)

20. AJ says:

Great news. I’ll be watching the episodes with Lucy Lawless in them and IF those episodes are any good, then I’ll continue watching the series.

Re: “blonde on Xena”

Is that Renee O’Connor? Or Hudson Leik? Or someone else? Most of the other actors involved with the show have had pretty quiet post-Xena careers. I think Renee O’Connor’s latest film was a modern take on “Moby Dick” which should be available on DVD now.

Re: Lucretia’s “death” in season 1

Apparently it was just a little poke in the tummy that Crixus gave his baby’s mama! Lucretia will be returning in season 2, although they’d originally planned to kill her off at the end of season 1. “Flashbacks” of Lucretia can be seen in the currently screening 6 episode “prequel” series Spartacus: Gods of the Arena.

21. Jen says:

I agree with the comments about this being a great family show. There are not a lot of those on these days and it’s nice b/c our 14 & 8 year olds can watch it with us!! We dvr it and watch it later since bed times are around then. We LOVE this show! Not everything has to be blood, guys, swearing and sex to be good.

22. YoliB says:

I like the show and look forward to it every week! I like that there are the “good guys” and “bad guys” but no real blood n gore, nor sex n real violence! I love Lucy n think this will definitely make things interesting! I hope this gets renewed!

23. David Carlson says:

My wife and I watch No Ordinary Family anyway, usually saved on DVR to watch later. What I don’t like are the 1950’s sci-fi cliches that the super heroes can’t handle their emotions, try to hide their talents, and various government authorities are determined to destroy them for national security reasons. Pilot episode maybe, but get on with defeating the bad guys.

24. HoplophileX says:

Lucy Lawless will likely be a nice bit of spice to the show, but I continue to watch it every week regardless. I think the show is a lot of fun and Julie Benz makes it pretty easy to keep me riveted….

25. Richard Smith says:

I totally agree with the positive comments on here. My son and I record this every week and watch it more than once. With so much garbage(I call it garbage because most of it is in no way positive or encouraging)on TV nowadays this is a more refreshing and clean show. Probably because of this it won’t make it and that’s sad to see.

26. AJ says:

My family loves the show regardless! It’s a great show to watch with the kids. Of course any change that would help keep it on the air is more than welcome.

27. Frank Williams says:

Love the show please keep on air there aren’t too many shows out there that gas an entire family involved . Like a real life version of the incredibles!!!

28. Buddy says:

I LOVE THIS SHOW! It’s fresh and has great action. Could use a little MORE action but hey, I’m an action Junky. To cancel it now would be foolish. America needs heros.

29. Baron says:

I love this show, but it could be better. I hope the writing gets better and it’s on next season.

30. Mary says:

I love this show, I admit it did have some really boring and predictable moments, but it’s getting a little better. To answer the question, yes I more than likely will watch. The Powell’s badly need an ally on their side, not an adversary. I want more answers as to how this family got these powers to begin with. Plus Jim Powell needs to IMO stop being the hero and start being a father and a husband. All he** is going to break loose if someone at the Precinct find out about his abilities, then it will be leaked to the Press/Media then it will be a bigger circus. :-( Not good.

31. godzilla_foil says:

I’m sorry, Mr. Ausiello, but “underrated” they are not. If this show is currently an underdog in terms of audience and renewal, it’s because it deserved to be treated as such.

This is because the scripts are flawed beyond repair. The characters often face problems whose solutions are obvious — but if they do what’s expected, then there’s no episode. So, the writers tend to center whole episodes, or whole character arcs, around incredibly weak premises.

Also, the predictability of many, MANY problems, developments and (again) solutions renders the series as boring as a Teletubbies show.

TV people just have to stop treating superpowers-related shows as “family fantasy” or “teen fantasy” and just make them more like what they would represent in real life. I mean “Heroes” without the gigantic plot-holes and maniqueism (and, of course, the same issues involving problem-solving and predictability it also had). Make a show about people who will try to change their surroundings for real, because they feel they need to do it. While at that, they try their best to keep their identities hidden, to keep their day jobs, to deal with uniforms, maybe, they can’t ever design good enough so as not to come out as too ridiculous. Real people, you know?

I’d sure have a world of ideas for something like that…

• jameslash2 says:

Let me get this strait. In your long winded and boreing critic you are basicly saying “them not show boobies”. With age comes matureity hang in there you’ll make.

32. nolasa1972 says:

Great show! Has the feel of the fun early 80’s shows. I don’t feel like the whole world is a mess after I watch this.

33. Elphie says:

The show is underrated and yes at times the writing is sloppy but the past few episodes have been fantastic! The show is really starting to pick up now…but yes it is in danger of being cancelled.

So for those who actually want the show renewed please VOTE DAILY here:

34. Rob says:

i really like this show and lucy just about anything she is in turns out to be good i hope it gets renewed

35. Lu says:

This show is awesome! It’s just like a real life ‘Incredibles!’

36. Mr.SouthMetroAtl says:

I’m keeping my fingers crossed this show will stay around but the writers need to step up their game on making it Prime Time! Many of us viewers are pretty finicky about how we use our time. No Ordinary Family has great potential most of the dynamic stuff is repeat which gets boring fast. I don’t see another season coming if it’s all based on ratings. Lucy Lawless is either a savior or last stand.

37. Loz says:

I love this show. It seems to be one that has been flying under the radar since it started but has been a steady, entertaining delight to watch. I’m glad that lucy Lawless will bring some new viewers, and I hope this show gets renewed.

38. Mary Ann says:

Anything Lucy is on will be a it! She will definitelly make this show great. All her fans will be watching so watch the ratings sky rocket!

39. tracy says:

Haven’t missed an episode yet…don’t see her scaring me away!

40. Jeff says:

Would be funny if Jessical Alba comes on as an invisible girl.

41. Igloo says:

Lawless being on this show doesn’t influence me one way or another. I like the show and the regular cast. No need for Xena to step in.
    For me Lawless is an ok actress, nothing special.

42. Matt says:

Love this show. Have liked Julie Benz since Dexter. Hated Michael Chiklis in the Commish but he made the Shield and the best show I have ever seen from beginning to end. this a good show but does need to move faster. Oh just an idea how about giving Michael’s character a mask. Might hide his identity better than a hoodie.

43. ScarletPanda says:

This show is required viewing in our home. I think this is the superhero show to watch. By the way, the Cape is awful and ridiculous!

44. ram says:

With all Non-reality reality garbage and Criminal investigation shows there are very few decent shows to watch on T.V. anymore. This show I like. It may seem bland and dull if you like non-reality garbage and super scientific cop shows but it is good family television. I agree that there has been some upsets in their episode to episode writing. Seems like they start to write an interesting story line then next episode drop it. Please writers pick it up a notch. I hope with lucy on the show they will do just that. Love this show don’t let it get cancelled.

45. lisa says:

LOVE THIS SHOW NO MATTER WHO IS ON IT.

46. knobbykneedlemming says:

Anything with Lucy Lawless brings up the ratings because she has such a great fan base…they’re like lemmings, they’ll follow her anywhere. Lucy’s as dedicated to her fans as they are to her. I’ll watch her 5-arc, even though, I’ve tuned out this show after 2eps. The darker her character the better. In a word, for me, NOF feels ‘dorky’. Last night because Lucy’s coming soon, I thought I’d re-look NOF. I watched the train being stopped and then the knocking out of the bad-guys.. dorky… many parts of it feels like Saturday afternoon tv. Then the sinister fake/suicide.. it goes from dorky to extremely dark. Jump on my back and off we go! Dork to Dark. Are there 2 directors per show? But there is a show for everyone.. this one is not for me. I respect those who like it. Choice is a great thing.

47. partymarty says:

Lucy Lawless is a talented actress. From Xena to Battlestar Galatica to the Spartacus epic on Starz and many guest spots on shows in between she shows her versatility. Her fans are devoted to her & she gives her devotion back to them. I have only watched a few episodes of NOF but will be watching when Lucy appears on it. Who knows, maybe it’ll become a show I don’t want to miss.

48. angelnmaking says:

I watch the show but I think what bothers me most is how dumb they seem about their powers. When I watch reruns of the bionic woman and other like shows they are always using their powers and aren’t shy about it. Steff is cautious times a thousand when she is suppose to be a scientist. Why aren’t they working together already? So I think the addition will be great if it will put them against some really bad dudes to fight. Also, I loved the assistant engagement and was really angry they sent him off to la la land. I hope they bring that back.

49. jackie C says:

I will watch for sure if Lucy Lawless is on. I juggle Family and Glee tapng one or the other. But, if Lawless is on, well that’s gonna be good. See ya, Glee.

50. NO ORDINARY STEVO says:

I LOVE THIS SHOW…..PLEASE TELL ME HOW WE CAN MAKE SURE THEY RETURN FOR A SECOND SEASON?? I’VE SEEN TOO MANY GOOD SHOWS JUST FALL OFF THE MAP AFTER A SEASON OR TWO!!! I WANT TO KNOW EXACTLY HOW TO PROMOTE FOR THE SHOW TO COME BACK STRONG WITH A SECOND SEASON!