Exclusive

Exclusive Lie To Me Finale Preview: 'Fans Will Be Only More Hungry For a Season 4!"

This Monday at 9/8c, when Lie To Me‘s Season 3 finale targets the creator of a Facebook-like website, the way the hour ends will have fans not merely “Like”-ing the Fox drama, but downright loving it. Hopefully, the episode will amass enough Friends to earn a pickup for the fall.

“What you see in this episode is a different window into who Lightman is,” showrunner Alex Cary tells TVLine. “You see a very changed man at the end of the episode.”

Check out this exclusive clip from the episode, in which Nikita alum Ashton Holmes makes like (a perhaps murderous) Mark Zuckerberg, then read on for our full Q&A with Cary and fellow executive producer David Graziano. They reflect on the season gone by, assess the recent ratings bump, and come clean on the bloody scary promo that’s been airing.

Loading video...

TVLINE | When I spoke to Tim Roth at the start of this season, he said Lie To Me was finally the show it always wanted to be. Do you feel you fulfilled that promise?
CARY:
Yeah, Tim feels we really kicked up a notch. He’s a happy camper, I think. He’s very keen that it comes back [in the fall].

TVLINE | In your minds, what distinguishes Lie To Me from other procedurals?
CARY:
Character.
GRAZIANO: To me, it’s the only show on television where the audience can learn the ability of the crime solver. The audience feels like on some level they might absorb the skill that Lightman has and be able to use it in their daily life, on their boss or wife or whomever.
CARY: What also makes this different is there’s a very strong father-daughter relationship, and that has only grown. It has become a signature of the show, and that gives it a heart without being sappy or sentimental.

TVLINE | What are your favorite episodes from Season 3? I imagine “Veronica” (guest-starring Annette O’Toole) has to be up there.
CARY:
I’m glad you said “Veronica,” because that could have gone either way. We took a risk with that, and I agree – it was one of the best.
GRAZIANO: When Alex and I watched it, we were touched by it. There’s something special about [O'Toole's character] and Lightman’s interactions with her.
CARY: My favorite episodes were “Dirty Loyal” and “Funhouse” – though I’m pretty sure David’s answer will be different.
GRAZIANO: I would say “Dirty Loyal,” too, but I also like the [season premiere] a great deal. And the Tricia Helfer episode was cool and sexy, and she was so good in it.
CARY: But the story you were really proud of, David, is the Annabeth Gish one.
GRAZIANO: The concept of the hero complex in “Saved,” that whole relationship with her and her damaged brother, exemplifies to me what is good about this show. With fair regularity I can predict where other procedurals are going, but when I [caught up on the first seasons of] Lie To Me, I remember not having a clue.
CARY: The same goes for this last episode, “Killer App.” It feels very familiar, but then goes in a different direction.

TVLINE | Like, for example, Jason Dohring (Veronica Mars) before him, Ashton Holmes plays a great, super-savvy adversary of Lightman’s.
CARY:
Yeah. I don’t think it’s any secret that David and I have been looking quite closely at how some Columbo episodes are structured, and the English version of Cracker.
GRAZIANO: What they all have in common is they have working class protagonist who like to subvert powerful people who have done wrong — whether its an intellectual or a captain of industry.

TVLINE | You got a nice ratings bump this past week – best numbers in well over a year. If you match or improve on that with the finale, do you think it’ll give Fox a lot to think about come renewal time?
GRAZIANO:
It’s like oxygen to us.
CARY: Fox has been very clear with us – they know what the show is, they know what it can do. [The ratings bump] shows that people will come watch the show.

TVLINE | Does it nag at a producer to hear, “It’s either Lie To Me or Fringe” that Fox will renew. Or, “It’s Lie To Me or Human Target“?
GRAZIANO:
You can’t look over your shoulder like that. You can only keep your head down and do the work.
CARY: We work on a great show, and we’ve learned how to run a show. If this one doesn’t go [on], we’ll do something else which will be as good if not better. We are living the dream here.

TVLINE | The promo for the finale shows Gillian walking around covered in blood. Anything you’d like to say about that?
GRAZIANO:
Yes – it’s the blood of someone she cares about very deeply.
CARY: Here’s the thing: This episode goes right to the heart and Lightman and Foster. We make it absolutely clear the emotional involvement between these two and how strong that bond is. That’s what the episode is about.
GRAZIANO: It’s a love story, basically… that involves blood.

TVLINE | Well, let’s just hope viewers won’t be left waiting too long to see what happens from there.
CARY:
No, we’re very happy with it. We think it will make the fans only more hungry for a Season 4.

1. Radhika says:

I have rewatched Seasons 1 & 2 along with 3 this Winter, and Lie To Me just Improves with age, like a fine wine !

Loved the interview with Cary/Graziano. I can see why they have studied British Cracker and Columbo, carefully and it has distilled well !

I agree with Mr. Cary that *Veronica* was my Fave episode this year.
    Having a Mum with Alzheimer’s gave me a lot to relate too. How Lightman dealt with her, and what Emily saw and learned about her Dad was exquisite. The topper was the Piano, brought a tear to my eye.

I sure hope Fox brings Lie To Me back. I will be watching. I just hope it isn’t the last ever episode. And if Fox doesn’t want it,
    well why can’t it be shopped to Cable Networks ?

It is just damned good TV.

Looking forward to the Cal/Gillian story line also ! Who’s blood ?
    hmm. Marco’s ? Na. Can’t be…

• Yahoo says:

Bring Lie to Me back. It was a very interesting show. Depicts real life body & facial movements of criminals and liars.

• bamkeys says:

Lie to Me IS the ‘best’ 1hr TV of any genre. I work 2nd shift but never knew when it was on. I finally caught up and watched all S1:E1-13 & S2:E1-22. Now my ‘visiting’ family are hooked. Still need to find S3. The cast works & just gets better, but Cal is outstanding! Pls don’t cancel-the show is bloody amazing.

• Mrs B at 43 says:

I have just watched the last 2 Episodes of Series 3 of Lie to Me, and am lead to believe that they are the last we shall ever see. (apart from possible re-runs) Please, please don’t let these be the last of this fantastic, fabulously fresh slant on catching the fibbers, bad guys and deceiver’s. This program has a real classy cast which complement each other and Mr Tim Roth is the cement that keeps them all together; so come on Mr Roth as a producer can you throw a bit of weight about and get more series going.

• Andrei Marinescu says:

I really enjoy watching Lie to me, and I`d do anything for another 2-3 seasons. I can`t understand why it stopped. Here, in Romania, it has reached top audience. FOX, if you`re reading this, let them make another 2 seasons, it is one of the best series. I really want them to see this and announce the producers. Aye aye mate !

2. Kristen says:

Is it Monday yet?

3. Janah says:

Abso-bloody-lutely!!! I cant wait to see the season finale! I’m so looking forward to the Foster/Lightman interaction and I’m already freaking out about that “Gillian covered in blood” thing!!! Epi sounds great, thanks for the interview!

4. EL says:

Bring it on! I love this show and I think Tim Roth is fascinating to watch.

5. Emily says:

UMMM THIS HAS ME SO EXCITED. SO SO EXCITED.
    Godddd if LTM doesn’t get a S4 it will be the biggest tv tragedy since Veronica Mars.
    PS thanks Matt for being such a Lie to Me fan a lot of other TV bloggers/reporters don’t pay enough attention to it but I know you appreciate it for its awesomeness!! :)

6. Bob says:

If Fox has to make a choice between Fringe, Lie to Me and Human Target as to which one goes, I say Human Target. Watched a couple of episodes and just couldn’t get into it. The other two shows are so far above and beyond that they should not be canned.

7. Radhika says:

oh I missed this:

“How does it all sound, Lie To Me fans? Are you hungry for Monday’s season finale? (I know precisely how it ends, and it’s gonna have many of you talking….)”

Kidnap this man and get him to tell !

It Will be a long weekend !

8. gordana says:

Lie to Me is my absolute favorite show on TV, network or cable or otherwise. The acting is on a level not often seen on network TV, and it all starts with the amazing Tim Roth. Cancelling this show will be a huge blow to the dedicated fan base that is out there. Lie to Me was the recipient of 2 Peoples Choice Awards, and with the right promotion from Fox, its ratings can only go up.

9. Emma says:

I’d be very sad if Lie To Me* would not get it’s fourth season. I consider this even better show than House, Fringe, and Human Target all together. It is exactly as D. Craziano said I can predict where other procedurals are going, but when I [caught up on the first seasons of] Lie To Me, I remember not having a clue.
    And the stories of the episodes have really been compelling all the way. The cast of the show is simply amazing too.

• Andy says:

Hey yes that is so true… however Human Target just got cancelled and im pretty mad about that i would hate it if they cancelled Lie To Me*

10. Manu says:

I hate to think that the season might end on a Callian cliffhanger and not come back next season.

11. majamababe says:

I like all the shows – Fringe, House, Bones, Lie to Me, and Human Target. Hopefully, now that FOX has some good programs, they won’t do somthing stupid like cancel one. There is no reason they can’t keep them all. Each one is good in its own way.

12. Allison N says:

I sooo excited for the finale!

13. Eve says:

OMG, I can’t wait for Monday !!!
    Fox better not keep us hanging.. give us Season 4 !!!

14. ITalkFast says:

Lie To Me is a phenomenal show. While it’s been through some growing pains, it has really hit its stride this season. Fox has already made the error of not ordering the back 9; I sure hope they don’t compound it be failing to renew.

Ratings are up and momentum to demand a new season is growing among fans. If only one can return, this show far surpasses Human Target, which is just another fluff action series. Fox should bring it back in the fall with a regular time slot and some good promotion. And they should run it all summer in repeats to build the core audience.

#SaveLieToMe!

15. dan avila says:

Love the show,best ever on fox.

16. Cheery says:

Caught “Lie to Me” last Monday for the first time and will be back!
    Hope ratings spike again :D

17. Tara says:

This show is my addiction i cant leave the house or turn on my phones in the house when this show is on. I am really into my soap opera but this show has topped anything else that i watch and the smart ass attitude of time roth just puts this show right up there i love it.

18. Barbara says:

Here in South Africa its one of the most popular shows, and we are far behind with the series. So hopefully there will be many more.

19. Barbara says:

Lie to me is without doubt the best show on tv…Tim Roth is superb as Lightman…it would be a tragedy if a 4th series was cut

20. EOCGHCFAN says:

I can’t wait to see the show….but I am so sad that its the finale. I would be surprised if the show got the back nine picked up in the summer (like they did with season 2) expessially if this episode is “a love story”. I love this show in fact its my favorite show and I want it to go on for many year..they just need to give it a new time slot. If they did that the rating would be sky high all the time. Just sayin. ;)

21. EOCGHCFAN says:

I meant to put ‘I wouldn’t be suprised.

22. John says:

There has to be a season 4 then 5 and 6. I am alway reading my wife’s face to her.

23. MorningStar says:

Lie to Me was our family’s absolute favorite show for the first 2 seasons. This year, ALL the main characters have trashed their moral values and personal integrity. How can you trust someone to be a truth sleuth when they themselves sleeze in and out of bed??? Our family lost all interest in the show many weeks ago.

24. Jill Whittaker says:

How can we start a “Save “Lie To Me Campaign?”” I haven’t seen one and believe the show deserves to be renewed

• 941mammac says:

YES! Great idea! A “Save Lie To Me” campaign!!! I would work full time on that one! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this show! Have a major character crush on Dr. Lightman!! I don’t watch any show religously, honest, but I do this one!!! Fox should get their heads out their butts and recognize what a great thing they’ve got in the show, it’s actors and the characters they play!!!

25. Robert F Drury says:

I had no idea that Lie to Me might be cancelled next season; it is one of the best dramas on TV. I enjoy Human Target, but would readily give it up to prevent this, and Fringe doesn’t even make the roster. JMO

26. Michele says:

I can’t wait until Monday!! :)

27. Karen says:

keep lie to me going. I Like that Show!

28. Pat says:

“Let there be Lightman” wake of Fox this is a great show bring it back for season 4

29. Melissa says:

I ADORE this show. Tim Roth is brilliant, Kelli Williams is amazing, and it’s such an original idea. It would be a shame if this show was cut. If it’s not back for a 4th season, I will probably be more disappointed than I’ve been about anything in a really, really long time.

MorningStar – I understand what you’re saying. I personally have very strict morals when it comes to the issues you’re talking about, but the behavior in the show speaks to the character and his flaws. It’s all about digging further into the character and finding what makes him tick…

30. Ruth says:

I look forward to Lie To Me each week. I have 3 favorite shows I watch, and this is one of them. Hope this keeps being renewed for years to come. One of the best to be seen on tv.

31. Brian says:

Add the two of us to the BIG fans list for Lie to Me. We very much enjoy a lot of British drama, especially of the mystery genre. Our favourite currently is MI-5, but Lie to Me has enough of that pointed British style of enquiry that appeals to us, it is interesting to learn about interpreting the human face, some of which confirms hunches long held.

Better be another Season, you bet!

32. Susan says:

Lie To Me has the unique capacity to expand in almost endless directions…it is such a new and fresh idea on the same old thing. Fox, you would be making a huge mistake to end this show… I haven’t had TV in my house since 1996…but heard of your show through my kids and friends…went online to check it out and could not stop watching..went through all seasons…I had given up on TV because of the same boring thing from every channel there is..THIS show is an exception to all the rules…Go ahead and drop it…and I guarrentee you it will be scooped up in as long as it takes you to open your mouth to speak…and you will regret it. I love the show, the acting, the actors, and the new concepts…great kudos to the writers!!!

33. Nicole says:

This interview made me even more excited for the finale than I was before!!!! (if that’s even possible)
    I’m SO EXCITED!!!! Callian <3

34. Loulou says:

I love Lie to Me!!!
    I can’t wait to Monday:)
    Hope for a Season 4!!!!

35. 3rdrocker says:

Hungry for it? I’m starving!!! Let’s cancel the weekend and go directly to Monday!!!

36. celeste says:

Argh! I’ve yet to see S3 of Lie To Me! I want more and more. I want season 4! Gotta have please. It just gets better and better (Aussie fan). MORE!

37. Callian85 says:

From Italy! We want season 4! XD
    Love Roth, love Lie To Me!

38. Irene says:

from Ukraine! waiting for season 4!!
    go on with your wild plans, Mr. Roth and crew!! :)

39. cobby says:

Tim Roth is brilliant and it would be a damn shame if the show gets cancelled!

40. Iris says:

So excited about this episode! Here’s to many, many, many more!

41. Raina says:

Great show. It would be a shame to cancell it.
    Roth gives his role such a unique portrayal and his daughter just gets more interesting with each show. No cookie cutter characters in this one.

42. Ryan says:

Great show! bring it back!

43. Doug says:

Please cancel this show it is the 21st century equal of manimal.

44. marynotpmoc says:

I already miss Lie to me so much! We definitely need a 4th season!

45. matheus says:

lie to me*

46. George says:

Please… we NEED a SEASON 4… and 5, and 6, and 7, and 8, and…

47. Camilla says:

We definitely need more than just the 3 seasons… it HAS to continue, love this series!

48. angel says:

(from the netherlands) Brilliant acting by Tim Roth and Kelli Williams.. I can watch it 24 hours a day.. I REALLY need season 4, 5 , 6 and on!!

49. Griselda says:

The show is the best!!! It’s the only show I would watch from FOX. Am anxiously waiting for season 4, hopefully with more episodes than season 3 had. Fox, please do what you can ASAP to bring us Lie to Me back this fall!

50. mulder says:

This show,was too CLOSE to the TRUTH always,is why taken off 2 1/2 seasons,ratings had ZERO to do,with WHY is gone FOREVER now.FOX was FORCED to shut it down,by the REAL powers that be.For US to SEE and KNOW the real TRUTH on people faces,is a danger to national SECURITY as they VIEW it.When I saw all the political faces together with criminals,used in the series,and the 1 UFO sighting episode,,,I knew right away,this GREAT series,will be GONE,for sure,,,FAST