Exclusive: Greg Grunberg To Headline A&E Pilot

Heroes alum Greg Grunberg is heading to cable as the lead of A&E’s hourlong pilot Big Mike.

In the project, co-produced by Happy Madison and Sony Pictures TV, Grunberg will play the title character, a plus-sized detective and a force of nature in the San Diego PD. One of the best in his field, Mike’s greatest challenge in his romantic life.

I hear Grunberg’s casting lifts the contingency on the pilot despite the fact that Grunberg is formally in second position to NBC’s Love Bites. He was upped to a regular on the NBC anthology dramedy after a memorable guest stint in the pilot. But the series — initially scheduled for a fall launch in the Thursday 10 PM slot — has yet to get a premiere date. Even more ominous, its order was recently trimmed from 13 to 9.

There’s Something About Mary co-writers Ed Decter and John Strauss wrote Big Mike and are exec producing with Doug Robinson.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: News, Pilots

1. Michael says:

Well so much for thinking this was some crazy Chuck spinoff :P

(Comedy online is not my strong suit).

2. Ben Phelps says:

Can someone from TVLine clarify how exclusives (and, really, all content) work between TVLine and Deadline? I know they’re sister sites, but does Andreva work for both directly, and if not, how can both sites claim the news as exclusive?

3. Emmit West says:

All hail King Greg. I’d watch him sleep, so this is good news.

4. ggny says:

TBS killed Love Bites lololol

5. Sam says:

I know, I know, it’s just me, but I really hate his acting. I watched the first season of Heroes and several guest spots he’s done, and I don’t get it. He comes off as the nicest guy in the world in interviews and online, but I just can’t watch anything where he’s the lead character. To me, it seems as if he’s always “soap opera acting” with over-the-top body language and facial expressions. Again, I know I’m the minority on this.

6. DenverDave says:

Sam – Did you see him in Alias? To me, his character was one of my favorites and didn’t seem soap opera-y at all. I do get what you’re saying with Heroes; however, but I would chalk that up to poor script writing (hopeful thinking?). I am a fan and will definitely check this out.

7. John says:

Just like Christine Woods booking Perfect Couples before FlashForward wrapped, this does not bode well for Love Bites. Not often a show is doomed before the audience has seen a single episode.

8. amy says:

Yeah, you can’t judge Grunberg by “Heroes” (or, for that matter, virtually any of the other fine actors that got stranded in the wasteland of that show after season one). He was marvelous in “Alias” and especially in “Felicity.” I’ll check this out no matter what. I mean, I was even going to watch “Love Bites” for him and Becki Newton. That’s devotion.

9. zaza says:

Um…how is Greg Grunberg plus-sized? Has he put on a lot of weight since the above photo? I know it is a custom now to call any woman over a size two plus-sized, but please tell me men aren’t also buying into this lunacy!

10. chattypatra says:

Why does the title of the show have to be ‘Big Mike’? It’s so rude! And his greatest challenge in life is his love life? I would think that the risk of getting shot in the line of duty would be more challenging, and I highly doubt he’d ever have problems finding a date.

11. Brock says:

He is of the “chunky” size. Not obese, but sticky to say the least.

I have been yearning for LOVE BITES since it was announced ten months ago. Love Becki and hope it makes it to a proper timeslot. Not like NBC has a whole lot going on aside from Chuck, Tuesdays and Thursdays.

12. RL says:

Can you please clear up when exactly Love Bites will be airing? Is it now tentatively set for summer, or could it be even longer? I’ve been excited about this show since it was announced last spring, and I’ve loved Greg Grunberg ever since Felicity.

13. Meg says:

Really? Greg Grunberg is nowhere near heavy enough to be in a role where being plus-sized in in the character description and the title, imo. Adored him in Alias though, so good that we’ll be seeing more of him.

14. Mykelogan says:

Wouldn’t Greg’s brother, Brad, be better suited for the roll of a plus sized detective? He’s a great actor and a much larger man too.

15. jobless says:

Big Mike is the BIGGEST mistake A&E has made,the show would have been a HIT! Greg has many followers from TV top his YOWSA application the show would have done huge rating,,,A&E u blew it! Go ahead and pick up that western that nobody cares about!