Exclusive: Bones Spin-off Finds Its 'Locator,' Casts Geoff Stults As Lead

Fox’s high-profile Bones spinoff has found its star, by way of October Road.

TVLine has learned exclusively that Geoff Stults, whose credits include the aforementioned ABC drama (as well as 7th Heaven and Happy Town), will front the planted pilot, which will air as the 19th episode of Bones‘ current season.

Exclusive: Bones Spinoff Lands Michael Clarke Duncan

Based on The Locator series of two books written by Richard Greener, the prospective new series centers on Walter Sherman aka “the Locator,” a former military policeman who can find anything.

Michael Clarke Duncan (The Green Mile) previously was cast as Walter’s partner Leo, a tough, raw-hide cowboy philosopher.

Comments (39)

• Now I hope that the spin-off does happen. These two actors together would be A-awesome, IMHO!

Comment by timotey – January 28, 2011 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good for him! Always enjoyed him on 7th Heaven and I’m glad he’s finding success. I wish him nothing but the best!

Comment by Ryan – January 28, 2011 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think this is a good choice, although I thought they might go with someone who seems less physically imposing and more intellectual. But very excited about the casting choices so far!

Comment by Mikaylah – January 28, 2011 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Let’s face it: After they cast Michael Clarke Duncan, NOBODY was going to look physically imposing next to him.

Comment by amy – January 28, 2011 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • no! bad choice! i will never get his 7th heaven-ness out of my head.

Comment by Stefanie – January 28, 2011 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At least it isn’t his brother George. that guy can’t act is way out of a paper bag

Comment by Ryan – January 28, 2011 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, Geoff seems to have the better acting skills. But, it does feel/seem like George fits more into the 7th Heaven type genre (which I was a fan of) where as Geoff has the ability to do more/branch out.

Comment by Erin – January 28, 2011 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I kinda don’t get the whole “back door spin-off” idea. If it’s already based on a book series, why feel the need to bounce it off a popular show? It just seems stupid to take up space in the Bones universe for something that may not last.

Comment by Benjamin – January 28, 2011 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think spin-offs debuting on established shows serve a dual purpose.. They have a built in audience for the “pilot” episode since a lot of people would potentially miss the pilot if aired on it’s own. Second, if the show is successful there would be the possibility of an occasional cross-over episode with the characters of both shows, since they will have already “met” in the pilot. I like the idea and the cast looks good Can’t wait to see Michael Clarke Duncan on a regular show. I hope the writing is first class because it’s an interesting premise.

Comment by Myra – January 28, 2011 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Meh, it’s only one episode , it may be interesting. I’m willing to give it a chance anyway.

Comment by Jayme – January 28, 2011 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree – at the very least, it shouldn’t be called a spin-off if the ONLY reason a character is included in Show 1 is in order for them to move over to Show 2. A spin-off is when you take a character that already exists and build a new show around them, not when you use a successful show as a giant commercial for your new show.

Comment by b – January 28, 2011 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is great news! Loved him in October Road. Can’t wait for the spin off!

Comment by Tiffany – January 28, 2011 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad to see him back on TV again. I’m still not sure about a spin-off, but I’ve always liked him as an actor.

Comment by Erin – January 28, 2011 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well he’s rather easy on the eyes…

Comment by Alex – January 28, 2011 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thought exactly.

Comment by zaza – January 28, 2011 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nice for him. Still think Joe Flanigan would be better.

Comment by Katy – January 28, 2011 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just don’t think the guy can act. I couldn’t stand him on 7th Heaven, October Road or Happy Town. Three strikes and that means I won’t even bother checking out this show. Horrid casting decision.

Comment by aby – January 28, 2011 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nothing will ever beat Bones. Spin-off shows are never the same, and in my opinion the spin-off’s usually lack the same chemistry the original has.

Comment by sam – January 28, 2011 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Frasier was a spin off from Cheers, both excellent shows.

Comment by Scott – January 29, 2011 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’m sure Bones’ spin-off will be billions of times better than the Criminal Minds’ spin-off.

Comment by diana – January 28, 2011 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does nothing for me. I wanted Joe Flanigan.

Comment by Colleen S – January 28, 2011 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lol love it and him, although I did watch the episode and have to say it was pretty good.

Comment by grannanatlanta – April 21, 2011 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yum!!!

Comment by Anna – January 28, 2011 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!!! Love him!

Comment by Francesca – January 28, 2011 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • bleh.

Comment by Meagan – January 28, 2011 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope we have 6 years of the pair flirting with each other but never actually going anywhere…. Just like bones!

Comment by Midori – January 28, 2011 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • lol we haven’t even seen the pilot episode and people are walking away just from a bold casting move maybe they saw exactly what they wanted in Stults’ Audition. I’ll give it a chance just as long he makes the part his own to the point where it would be impossible to imagine anyone else playing the part,like Hugh Laurie on House.

Comment by Tommy Boy – January 28, 2011 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Except this comes off as the opposite of a bold casting move…the role description seems to call for someone more quirky, off-beat, maybe a degree or two away from a Patrick Fischler type, and instead they go with cookie-cutter leading man.

Yes, I’m aware Patrick Fischler has already appeared in the Bones-verse.

Comment by John – January 28, 2011 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, Hart Hanson certainly has a type when it comes to man-crushes. This guy looks like Booth’s brother- all-American sporty, square jaw, can carry off a stubble, squinty eyes a la Clint Eastwood.

One can only hope HH transfers his love and energy to this new show and lets Bones recover under someone else’s auspices.

Comment by AO'11 – January 28, 2011 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not super excited about this choice. I was interested…..now I am not.

Comment by Robin – January 29, 2011 06:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • anyone else see the resemblence between him nd booth

Comment by Kat – January 30, 2011 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very much looking forward to see this show…love the actors and actress and characters

Comment by Darryl – April 21, 2011 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watched the spinoff episode OMG it was awesome loved it can’t wait untill the show actually starts up!!

Comment by Grannanatlanta – April 21, 2011 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome can’t wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by ace – April 21, 2011 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone know when The Finder will start?

Comment by carol – April 27, 2011 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for the spin of….i’m gonna love the show…especially with Geoff there…he is indeed good looking….

Comment by Wieda – July 2, 2011 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post