Exclusive

Exclusive: Bones Spin-off Finds Its 'Locator,' Casts Geoff Stults As Lead

Fox’s high-profile Bones spinoff has found its star, by way of October Road.

TVLine has learned exclusively that Geoff Stults, whose credits include the aforementioned ABC drama (as well as 7th Heaven and Happy Town), will front the planted pilot, which will air as the 19th episode of Bones‘ current season.

Exclusive: Bones Spinoff Lands Michael Clarke Duncan

Based on The Locator series of two books written by Richard Greener, the prospective new series centers on Walter Sherman aka “the Locator,” a former military policeman who can find anything.

Michael Clarke Duncan (The Green Mile) previously was cast as Walter’s partner Leo, a tough, raw-hide cowboy philosopher.

1. timotey says:

Now I hope that the spin-off does happen. These two actors together would be A-awesome, IMHO!

2. Ryan says:

Good for him! Always enjoyed him on 7th Heaven and I’m glad he’s finding success. I wish him nothing but the best!

3. Mikaylah says:

I think this is a good choice, although I thought they might go with someone who seems less physically imposing and more intellectual. But very excited about the casting choices so far!

4. Stefanie says:

no! bad choice! i will never get his 7th heaven-ness out of my head.

5. Ryan says:

At least it isn’t his brother George. that guy can’t act is way out of a paper bag

• Erin says:

Yes, Geoff seems to have the better acting skills. But, it does feel/seem like George fits more into the 7th Heaven type genre (which I was a fan of) where as Geoff has the ability to do more/branch out.

6. Benjamin says:

I kinda don’t get the whole “back door spin-off” idea. If it’s already based on a book series, why feel the need to bounce it off a popular show? It just seems stupid to take up space in the Bones universe for something that may not last.

• Myra says:

I think spin-offs debuting on established shows serve a dual purpose.. They have a built in audience for the “pilot” episode since a lot of people would potentially miss the pilot if aired on it’s own. Second, if the show is successful there would be the possibility of an occasional cross-over episode with the characters of both shows, since they will have already “met” in the pilot. I like the idea and the cast looks good Can’t wait to see Michael Clarke Duncan on a regular show. I hope the writing is first class because it’s an interesting premise.

• Jayme says:

Meh, it’s only one episode , it may be interesting. I’m willing to give it a chance anyway.

• b says:

I agree – at the very least, it shouldn’t be called a spin-off if the ONLY reason a character is included in Show 1 is in order for them to move over to Show 2. A spin-off is when you take a character that already exists and build a new show around them, not when you use a successful show as a giant commercial for your new show.

7. Tiffany says:

This is great news! Loved him in October Road. Can’t wait for the spin off!

8. Erin says:

I’m glad to see him back on TV again. I’m still not sure about a spin-off, but I’ve always liked him as an actor.

9. Alex says:

Well he’s rather easy on the eyes…

10. Katy says:

Nice for him. Still think Joe Flanigan would be better.

11. aby says:

I just don’t think the guy can act. I couldn’t stand him on 7th Heaven, October Road or Happy Town. Three strikes and that means I won’t even bother checking out this show. Horrid casting decision.

12. sam says:

Nothing will ever beat Bones. Spin-off shows are never the same, and in my opinion the spin-off’s usually lack the same chemistry the original has.

13. diana says:

i’m sure Bones’ spin-off will be billions of times better than the Criminal Minds’ spin-off.

14. Colleen S says:

Does nothing for me. I wanted Joe Flanigan.

15. Francesca says:

Yay!!! Love him!

16. Midori says:

I hope we have 6 years of the pair flirting with each other but never actually going anywhere…. Just like bones!

17. Tommy Boy says:

lol we haven’t even seen the pilot episode and people are walking away just from a bold casting move maybe they saw exactly what they wanted in Stults’ Audition. I’ll give it a chance just as long he makes the part his own to the point where it would be impossible to imagine anyone else playing the part,like Hugh Laurie on House.

• John says:

Except this comes off as the opposite of a bold casting move…the role description seems to call for someone more quirky, off-beat, maybe a degree or two away from a Patrick Fischler type, and instead they go with cookie-cutter leading man.

Yes, I’m aware Patrick Fischler has already appeared in the Bones-verse.

18. AO'11 says:

Well, Hart Hanson certainly has a type when it comes to man-crushes. This guy looks like Booth’s brother- all-American sporty, square jaw, can carry off a stubble, squinty eyes a la Clint Eastwood.

One can only hope HH transfers his love and energy to this new show and lets Bones recover under someone else’s auspices.

19. Robin says:

Not super excited about this choice. I was interested…..now I am not.

20. Kat says:

anyone else see the resemblence between him nd booth

21. Darryl says:

Very much looking forward to see this show…love the actors and actress and characters

22. Grannanatlanta says:

Watched the spinoff episode OMG it was awesome loved it can’t wait untill the show actually starts up!!

23. ace says:

Awesome can’t wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. carol says:

Does anyone know when The Finder will start?

25. Wieda says:

Can’t wait for the spin of….i’m gonna love the show…especially with Geoff there…he is indeed good looking….