Vampire Diaries Exclusive: Meet Klaus!

Vampire Diaries‘ exhaustive search for an actor to play legendary bloodsucker Klaus has narrowed to one.

Sources confirm to me exclusively that English thesp Joseph Morgan is nearing a deal to join the cast as the oft-referred-to-but-never-seen member of the Originals.

Joseph who?! I’ll get to that in a second, but first you should know that Morgan’s near-casting caps a months-long manhunt for Klaus. In a recent interview with EW.com, exec producer Julie Plec estimated that more than 100 actors across multiple continents had read for the part. Plec also hinted that despite fans pitching some big-name actors for the role — Jason Dohring, Henry Cavill, and Gale Harold to name a few — they would likely hand the plum part to a relative unknown.

“This idea that there might be somebody out there that no one’s really familiar with yet that can be a new fresh face that we can exploit…in all the good ways… [is exciting],” Plec told EW. “I think our show works so well because we don’t really stunt cast.”

Which brings us back to Morgan. Although the 30-year-old actor’s resume consists primarily of British films and TV series, he appeared stateside in Oliver Stone’s Alexander and the Russell Crowe blockbuster Master and Commander. He also starred opposite Smallville‘s Kristin Kreuk in ABC’s Ben-Hur miniseries.

I don’t know about you, but I’m going to trust Plec and fellow EP Kevin Williamson’s instincts here. They have a pretty good track record when it comes to casting Diaries’ biggest roles so they’ve earned the benefit of our doubt. You with me? Against me? Somewhere in the middle? Hit the comments and tell me all about it.

Comments (54)

• I’m with you, Michael. There hasn’t been a miscast on that show yet. I’m excited to see why they chose him!

Comment by tjj50 – January 27, 2011 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, they have an amazing track record for hitting it out of the ball park on every single person they have cast. It’s almost uncanny what a great job they do in casting. I really look forward to seeing the latest addition.

Comment by Sara – February 9, 2011 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • he better be AWESOME!!!

Comment by Veronica – January 27, 2011 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • he is bound to be awesome ,he’s welsh,and we are all awesome!,lol

Comment by mark tandy – March 4, 2011 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hmmm… it’s not how I’ve imagined Klauss to be, but I definitely trust Julie and Kevin! can’t wait to see his best ^^

Comment by mims – January 27, 2011 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s funny cause that’s almost exactly how I pictured Klaus to look. In the books he was a young guy in his late 20s/30s with pale blonde…almost white hair. I thought maybe they’d cast against type for the show, but maybe this guy was just the best for the job. I’m glad they’re going with an unknown though.

Comment by Susan – January 27, 2011 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yeah, for the book it’s perfect… but since the characters from the show are quite different, I expected something else with Klaus :))
        either way, the guy is hot. and the one to play Klaus will be there for a reason… I nothing to worry about :D
        and honestly, I’m glad as well for the part with the unknown… you have a lot more fun discovering and exploiting a new talent!

Comment by mims – January 27, 2011 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I haven’t even read the books but this is EXACTLY what i imagined Klaus to look like. It’s like they read my mind. Scary

Comment by Sara – January 28, 2011 12:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • i dont belives on this .thet is one tipe of fun only nothik als
          if somebody show me the some prof . then i can belive thet and never
          i wont see one time
          byyyyyyyyyyy

Comment by jeetu – March 7, 2011 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Okay maybe not exactly; I imagined him to look very stern. But still, very impressed!

Comment by Sara – January 28, 2011 12:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I didn’t like who they cast as Mason when I read the post, but as soon as he appeared onscreen, i WAS IN LOVE.

Comment by lorna – February 8, 2011 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Morgan would be a great pick! I liked his work in Alexander and Master and Commander. The EP’s have made great picks so far, I trust them.

Comment by psl11 – January 27, 2011 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • he looks like a younger version of Dexter’s dad

Comment by Andrew – January 27, 2011 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE this guy, he worked wonders with the Cincinnati Reds.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich, Editor-at-Large TVLine.com – January 27, 2011 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think the “Big Red Machine” shout-out is a lofty reference for this crowd, Matt. I enjoyed it though. :)

Comment by Bruce_F – January 27, 2011 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thank you, I was rather proud of that piece of work.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – January 27, 2011 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s British that’s a plus and has a Jane Austen movie on his resume. I’m down. Plec and Williamson know what they are doing.

Comment by Celena – January 27, 2011 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you summed up my thoughts completely. he is exactly how i pictured him and has some Austin cred

Comment by ragu – January 27, 2011 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He is not unknown to me, Troy from Hex! Okay, so I did not know him by name, I saw it on IMBD, but I loved that BBC show :)

I like that it is not a name person. Sometimes that is just a distraction. Looking forward to this story line.

Comment by MDEP – January 27, 2011 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes he’s from Hex, loved that show! I knew I had seen him before! Looking forward to seeing him on VD.

Comment by laura – January 27, 2011 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He looks like the Klaus from the books! This is so cool! I can’t wait! He’s so adorable! Ha ha! An adorable Klaus!

Comment by Brit – January 27, 2011 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope that’s just an unflattering picture, because…ew. Isn’t Klaus supposed to be on par with Damon in regard to hotness? That guy is…not. Just saying.

Comment by Michelle – January 27, 2011 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree – definately NOT hot.

Comment by Jennifer – February 10, 2011 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • God, I miss Dohring, somebody better bring him in big time, soon!

Comment by Olga – January 27, 2011 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree Olga, he needs to be on my TV again

Comment by Larissa – January 27, 2011 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dohring could have pulled it off, but maybe not buff and rough-around-the-edges enough…

Comment by Jennifer – February 10, 2011 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think James Marsters would be perfect! Plus, I totally miss Spike!

Comment by Cathy – January 27, 2011 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think looks wise, that guys is PERFECT. Klaus is supposed to have a cold, calculating, untouchable attractiveness. I like this choice a lot! And I’m generally all for unknowns over big names. It’s so fun to watch an actor grow!

Comment by Alex – January 27, 2011 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s got the right look at least. Good job Kevin and Julie, can’t wait to see him on screen.

Comment by irg19 – January 27, 2011 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He is a SPOT ON Klaus for me. The moment I see his picture, it really is how I imagined Klaus in my head. I really think he’ll be brilliant. From his profile it’s pretty clear that he has amazing acting skills… and that’s all on top of the fact that Kevin and Julie are masters at their craft – casting being one of many. I believe they’ve made the right choice! Looking forward to seeing him in the show already.

Comment by Sarah L – January 27, 2011 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree completely. Just looking at his picture he has that look that says, come here so we can have some fun, but in the end I’ll suck you dry. It’s awesome.

Comment by Laura – January 28, 2011 05:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn, I was hoping that James Van Der Beek would’ve been cast so he could reunite with Ian onscreen.

Comment by James – January 27, 2011 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hello girls I’m Italian and I do not know English well so I apologize if the concepts are not clear or if I misspelled it anyway I wanted to ask if you could reveal some curiosity in the 2×12 because it leaves Italy on Saturday night.
    thanks in advance greetings from italy

Comment by ross98 – January 27, 2011 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think he seems like a great choice! I can’t wait to see how he plays the role, that is if the deal is finalized.

Comment by AT – January 27, 2011 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But…Jason Dohring…would be so.. AWESOME!

Comment by Vivian – January 27, 2011 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved him on Moonlight pity that show got cancelled. :(

Comment by Elizabeth – February 4, 2011 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First, the picture doesn’t do him justice. Look up some film clips of him, you’ll get a better feel for him. I think it’ll be a good choice, though I was hoping for a German or Austrian. Hoping he is accentless, like Elijah, given that’s he’s “been around” awhile.

Re: Jason Dohring… I love Jason, but could never see him in this role. He will forever be the wounded yet spoiled little rich boy in Veronica Mars to me. I don’t think he couldn’t carry off the cool, powerful Klaus. Although I enjoyed seeing him again in Moonlight, I never fully bought into his character.

Comment by Phyllis – January 27, 2011 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What an exclusive! It’s been a manhunt for the last couple of months and I’m also going to trust the producers in casting this guy. Great job, Michael.

Comment by Junior G. – January 27, 2011 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m trusting Julie and Kevin with this one, but I LOVE Jason Dohring. I so wanted him for the part.

Comment by Brandi – January 27, 2011 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • he will definetly suit the role of klaus,he has that look and i trust julie plec,no doubt only………u rock

Comment by Snehal – January 27, 2011 11:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope this kid is truly an evil Klaus. I mean someone who can truly make Damon shake in his boots and make him cry like a baby. I also hope Klaus is truly the most powerful vamp, Damon has super strength, Klaus has telekinetic strength, Damon has super speed, Klaus has teleportation speed, Damon cant go in the sun without the ring, Klaus can go in the sun without the ring. I also hope Klaus doesnt have a romantic relationship with a character like so many others and the only things he ends up loving is blood, breaking the curse, getting revenge on Elijah and Katherine, blood, killing Elena and yes more blood, I mean he is a vampire for goodness sake!

Comment by Tom – January 28, 2011 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would have really enjoyed Jason Dohring as Klaus.

Comment by J – January 29, 2011 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another pic of him here , looks good for klaus! http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/3625/takeeachotherhigherbyli.jpg

Comment by Sara k – January 29, 2011 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He has certainly got the looks! Add the fangs and your got the best Klaus there is! :-)

Comment by Aj – January 30, 2011 07:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think James Marsters would have been a good choice but he might not want to play another vampire because of his most famous role. It would have been interesting because Damon is basically following in Spike’s foot steps.

Idris Elba would have been amazing. If he wasn’t already Eric Northman Alexander Skarsgard would have been perfect for this.

Comment by CeCe – January 30, 2011 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I dunno about him. We’ll see I guess. And to the people who think James Marsters would have been good – have you seen him lately? He’s getting pretty old.

Comment by Chloe – January 31, 2011 10:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL. Sadly, I’m with you on that one. The last seven years haven’t been very kind to him in terms of the aging process.

Comment by Lily – February 3, 2011 05:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aren’t we supposed to be terrified of this guy? He’s going to have to be a steller performer to compete with Ian Somerhalder, who cracks me up on a weekly basis.

Comment by Lily – February 3, 2011 05:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This guy was awesome I loved him in Ben-Hur.

Comment by Elizabeth – February 4, 2011 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GALE for Klaus!!! *purrrrrrs*

Comment by Kitty – February 12, 2011 06:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He looks exactly like what I would think Klaus would look like. I’m excited, but on the other hand his appearence means that it’s season finale time and I hate going without my weekly dose of VD!

Comment by Megan – February 15, 2011 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If only David Bowie was still young…

Comment by Tammy – February 27, 2011 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He will be great, he was good in hex and i know him well so can’t wait to see him as klaus great job

Comment by lalani – March 5, 2011 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post