Fall TV Preview

Renewal Scorecard: What's Coming Back? What's Getting Axed? What's on the Bubble?

TV’s queasy season has arrived. From now until late May, ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and The CW will determine which shows will be back next fall and which will be join Tru Calling, Heroes and Veronica Mars over at the MIA Network. (MIA is fictional people; stop scouring your on-screen channel guide now.)

To help you monitor what’s staying, what’s going and what’s anxiously riding the bubble, I present you with the following easy-to-browse cheat sheet. I’ll be updating this list regularly with the latest industry intel, so I strongly suggest you bookmark this puppy and check back for updates. And for the record, the five eight levels are as follows:
♦ Officially renewed
♦ A sure thing
♦ A safe bet
♦ Could go either way
♦ Too early to tell
♦ A long-shot
♦ Essentially canceled
♦ Officially canceled

ABC
The Bachelor: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
The Bachelorette Officially renewed.
Better With You: Could go either way. Officially canceled.
Body of Proof: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Brothers & Sisters: Could go either way. A safe bet. Officially canceled.
Castle: Officially renewed.
Cougar Town: Officially renewed.
Dancing With the Stars: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Desperate Housewives: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Detroit 1-8-7: A long-shot. Officially canceled.
Grey’s Anatomy: Officially renewed.
Happy Endings: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
The Middle: Officially renewed
Modern Family: Officially renewed
Mr. Sunshine: Could go either way. Officially canceled.
No Ordinary Family: Could go either way. A long-shot. Officially canceled.
Off the Map: Too early to tell. A long-shot. Officially canceled.
Private Practice: Officially renewed.
V: Could go either way. Officially canceled.

CBS
The Amazing Race: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
The Big Bang Theory: Officially renewed.
Blue Bloods: A safe bet.Officially renewed.
Criminal Minds: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior: Could go either way. Officially canceled.
CSI: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
CSI: Miami: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
CSI: NY: Could go either way. A safe bet. Could go either way. Officially renewed.
The Defenders: A long-shot. Officially canceled.
The Good Wife: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Hawaii Five-0: A safe bet. A sure thing. Officially renewed.
How I Met Your Mother: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Mad Love: Too early to tell. Could go either way. Officially canceled.
Medium: Already canceled; final episode aired 1/21/11.
The Mentalist: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Mike & Molly: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
NCIS: Officially renewed.
NCIS: Los Angeles: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Rules of Engagement: Could go either way. Officially renewed.
$#*! My Dad Says: A safe bet. Could go either way. Officially canceled.
Survivor: A sure thing. Officially renewed through next season.
Two and a Half Men: Officially renewed. Could go either way. Officially renewed.
Undercover Boss: A safe bet. Officially renewed.

FOX
American Dad: Officially renewed.
American Idol: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Bob’s Burgers: Could go either way. Officially renewed.
Bones: A sure thing. Officially Renewed.
Breaking In: Could go either way. Officially canceled.
The Chicago Code: Too early to tell. A safe bet. Officially canceled.
The Cleveland Show: Officially renewed.
Family Guy: Officially renewed.
Fringe: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Glee: Officially renewed.
The Good Guys: Officially canceled.
House: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Human Target: Could go either way. Officially canceled.
Lie to Me: Could go either way. Officially canceled.
Raising Hope: Officially renewed.
Running Wilde: Officially canceled.
The Simpsons: Officially renewed.
Traffic Light: Too early to tell. A long-shot. Officially canceled.

NBC
30 Rock: Officially renewed.
The Biggest Loser: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
The Cape: A long-shot. Essentially canceled. Officially canceled.
Celebrity Apprentice: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Chase: A long-shot. Essentially canceled. Officially canceled.
Chuck: Could go either way. Officially Renewed for 13 episode final season.
Community: A safe bet. Officially renewed!
The Event: Could go either way. A long-shot. Officially canceled.
Friday Night Lights: The fifth and final season will premiere on NBC on April 15.
Harry’s Law: Could go either way. A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Law & Order: Los Angeles: A safe bet. Could go either way. Officially canceled.
Law & Order: SVU: Could go either way. A safe bet. A sure thing. Officially renewed.
The Office: A sure thing. Officially renewed!
Outsourced: Could go either way. Officially canceled.
Parenthood: A safe bet. A sure thing. Officially Renewed.
Parks and Recreation: A safe bet. Officially renewed!
Perfect Couples: Too early to tell. A long-shot. Officially canceled.
The Voice: A sure thing. Officially renewed.

THE CW
90210: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
America’s Next Top Model: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Gossip Girl: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Hellcats: A safe bet. Could go either way. A long-shot. Officially canceled.
Life Unexpected: Series finale aired 1/18/11.
Nikita: Could go either way. Officially renewed.
One Tree Hill: Could go either way. A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Smallville: The 10th and final season is currently underway.
Supernatural: A sure thing Officially renewed.
The Vampire Diaries: A sure thing. Officially renewed.

When is your favorite show ending its season? Click here for TVLine’s printable season finale calendar!

Tags: , , , ,

Comments (925)

• This makes me frustrated every year! I’m hesitant to invest any of my time in new shows because what’s to keep the networks from flushing them down the toilet just a few months (and in some cases weeks and days) later? So irritating…

Comment by Cheri – January 27, 2011 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe that ABC would consider a reboot of Charlie’s Angels and dump Detroit 1-8-7. Not on topic but when did networks and advertisers decide teens and twentysomethings were the only important viewers?

Comment by PJL – January 27, 2011 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m gonna focus on CHUCK and COMMUNITY. Those are the only shows I know I’d be devastated about if either gets canceled.

Comment by Aiden – January 27, 2011 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would say Nikita is more of a “Safe Bet.” Yes, its not doing great in Female viewers. But its overall viewers are more than most CW shows get and they seem pretty pleased with the show. I think Nikita will get renewed.

Comment by Kris – January 27, 2011 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly. It’s the second highest rated show on the CW (TVD being the highest), so I think it’s definitely more of a safe bet. Its ratings have gone down a little, but I think overall it’ll be fine. God, when are 90210 and Gossip Girl going to be canceled already?

Comment by Jamie Ann – January 27, 2011 11:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ima female and i love nikita and so do all my friends

Comment by jaz;yn – May 12, 2011 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You listen here, Michael Ausiello. You take that phrase next to “Chuck” and you change it to “A sure thing” pronto! Nothing else is acceptable, unless you want to make it “Already renewed”!
    :-)

Comment by Jessica – January 27, 2011 09:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck and Community please, they are the reasons why I kept watching NBC after they got rid of Conan. I am also starting to fall hard for Human Target. I mean Ames and Guerrero are just two awesome characters.

Comment by Becca – January 27, 2011 10:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If SVU is in trouble you can bet USA will pick it up in a heartbeat.

Comment by dee123 – January 27, 2011 10:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, that’s what they did with Law and Order: Criminal Intent.

Comment by Jamie Ann – January 27, 2011 11:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FRINGE a safe bet? Yes please.
    Truly original and addictive story, i hope they get another season to tell it properly.

Comment by Touski – January 27, 2011 10:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m bummed to see “the cape” is a long-shot i’m enjoying the show i think it has great potential, but maybe they will do what they did with southland, NBC didn’t want Southland so TNT picked it up maybe the same will happen with the cape

Comment by Phil M – January 27, 2011 10:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really don’t see how CSI Miami is safe and CSI NY isn’t. I’m not even such a big CSI fan, but NY is many times better than Miami. Caruso has become a caricature of himself. :D

Comment by Wrongwayup – January 27, 2011 10:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita should be more of a sure thing than 90210 or Gossip Girl. Those shows suck and I’m almost positive this is OTH’s last season.

Comment by Jamie Ann – January 27, 2011 11:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • how is
    law and order los angeles a safe bet????

Comment by Mike – January 27, 2011 11:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Have to disagree about Chuck’s chances against few other shows. Either put Chuck as a safe bet or drop Community, Parenthood and Fringe to could go either way. I think with so general categories, these show have pretty even chances. I would also drop Event, NOF and V to long shot category.

Comment by vm8x – January 28, 2011 12:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Off the Map?? I really like it so far!

Comment by Amy – January 28, 2011 12:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree Amy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fingers crossed (it’s viewer numbers are sadly not looking too good at the moment!)

Comment by Nick – January 28, 2011 02:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Off the Map!?!? – Loving the new season, great to finally see some good new drama shows!! – Way prefer to private practice – hope they keep it around, and hope that Brothers and Sisters stays too!

Comment by Nick – January 28, 2011 02:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was glad to see Fringe listed as a safe bet, gives me more hope seeing as there was so much talk about it being canned and other negative stuff like that.

I wish they cancelled House to save some embarrassment but sadly…

Wow, those NBC shows are almost all going from bad to worse, it’s sad

Comment by Ada – January 28, 2011 02:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YESSS…I LOVE parenthood and I love Lauren Graham, it’s such a great series…

Comment by C. – January 28, 2011 04:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please explain some of these, because I don’t understand how The Defenders could be a long shot, and CSI: NY go could either way.

Comment by Cathy – January 28, 2011 05:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Detroit 187 is one of the great shows on. Give it a try.

Comment by Karen – January 28, 2011 05:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck’s on the bubble again? *Sigh*…I guess it does keep cast, crew, and fans on their toes, but it’s getting exhausting. Not that I won’t fight for it, of course.

…and I’ve got a feeling Nikita is not as safe as GG or 90210 despite the ratings because of the insane amounts of product placement they cram into the latter two. Seriously, they’re like infomercials for everything teenage girls buy, with a soap plot chucked in.

Comment by Edward – January 28, 2011 05:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CHUCK is our favorite.

Comment by Susie – January 28, 2011 06:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I heart your scorecards! Thanks for keeping us all well-informed.

Comment by LG – January 28, 2011 06:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as Parks & Rec and Community get picked up, I’ll be happy. Glad to see they’re considered a safe bet, along with H5-0, which I really enjoy. I’d also like to see Parenthood keep going.
    I know it’s not a popular opinion, but I wouldn’t be heartbroken if Chuck ended. I still watch it, but I’m definitely losing interest. For the sake of all the fans who really love it though, I’ll hope it gets renewed!

Comment by lucy2 – January 28, 2011 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did I miss “The Good Guys” officially getting cancelled? Last I heard it was a long shot, but not official.

Comment by Amanda – January 28, 2011 06:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what about off the map on abc? why is it not on this list?

Comment by clarissa – January 28, 2011 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Off the Map on ABC?

Comment by StephW – January 28, 2011 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chase: A long-shot. – Noooooo !!! Love this show, even if it seems I’m the only one :(

Comment by Eve – January 28, 2011 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would be PISSED if Better With You (which is SOOO underappreciated) and Chuck were canceled. Two really good shows.

Comment by Kevin – January 28, 2011 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • COMMUNITY!! If it doesnt get renewed, I am going on a strike. Seriously.

Comment by Raksha – January 28, 2011 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Community NEEDS to get renewed. Its the best comedy. Ever.

Comment by Suprita – January 28, 2011 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so happy to see Fringe as a safe bet….:)

Comment by tamara – January 28, 2011 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope to God and every other higher power that Fox renews Fringe for another season.

Comment by Wayne – January 28, 2011 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I also forgot to add that Nikita NEEDS to also be renewed.

Comment by Wayne – January 28, 2011 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m still really holding out hope for V. Although slim hope. More needs to happen and soon.

Comment by Marcel – January 28, 2011 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I bookmark and follow the Renewal Scorecard every year. I really hope Supernatural, Lie to Me and Community come back (along with NCIS and Castle, but I don’t have to worry about these two).

Law & Order: Los Angeles: A safe bet.
    Law & Order: SVU: Could go either way.

That surprised me, L&O:SVU was always a safe bet, while LOLA is going through too many changes. Will they really give the all-star cast another try?

Comment by Ve – January 28, 2011 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I personally really hope Outsourced gets renewed for another season- I’m really enjoying it.

Comment by AC Wells – January 28, 2011 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m really glad I’m not the only one, lol!

Comment by Lana – January 28, 2011 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My not renewed series that I hope make the cut are Community, V, and Fringe. To a lesser extent, I’d be very happy if Better with You and Human Target get renewed.

Comment by John Berggren – January 28, 2011 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck fighting for survival again??? This is truly frustrating. I need my season 5 of Chuck!!

Comment by jay – January 28, 2011 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You’re a crock Ausiello. There’s no way in hell $#*! My Dad Says is coming back after last night’s 2.3, certainly not when Rules of Engagement is on the verge of syndication and Shatner’s already getting paid as much as Spade.

Comment by War Chief Raining Stereotype – January 28, 2011 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Human Target has been really good this season so far. I love the addition of Ames, but not so excited about Pucchi. Two words….more Guerrero!!!

I wouldn’t be surprised if No Ordinary Family got canceled. The shows’ story development takes an eternity.

But dammit!! Chuck better come back!!

Comment by jay – January 28, 2011 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah it has. And they just came off an 8.3 million viewers. How can that not be picked up? People love this show.

Comment by Mike B – February 11, 2011 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay Michael, I have to say I am really surprised and disappointed in you rating of ‘Chuck’, you should really consider you ‘status’ of chances on “Chuck” getting renewed. The “Could go either way” surprises me. The ratings are not only steady but they are actually going up and they got a full pick up to a full 24 episodes which really shows NBC’s confidence in ‘Chuck’. Plus the guest stars they bring in are tremendous. And most importantly the FANS would probably tear down NBC unless they renew ‘Chuck’ for a 5th season.

Comment by Glen – January 28, 2011 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • After the offing of Heroes last time round I wouldn’t trust NBC’s ‘confidence’ in anything, sadly. Still at least Chuck has a better chance than that did!

Comment by James Scollen – January 28, 2011 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope that they wise up and keep Chuck. I also may be the only person on the face of the earth, but I love Defender too….

Comment by Mandy – January 28, 2011 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How is Lie to Me an either way bet??? Its such a fantastic show! And to see that something on the same network as shockingly poor as Bones is a sure thing as well…sad times

Comment by James Scollen – January 28, 2011 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fingers crossed for Human Target and Fringe.

I can’t believe that people all still rooting for Chuck. That show stopped being fun after the end of season two.

Comment by Martijn – January 28, 2011 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh and Supernatural too of course!!

Comment by Martijn – January 28, 2011 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am one of the few I think who enjoys Detroit 1-8-7. I am hoping that ABC does indeed give it the full season and than we shall see.

Comment by Rita – January 28, 2011 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree with you!

Comment by Erin C – February 21, 2011 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m wondering where Off the Map is on the card? Shonda’s yet again roped me into another show and I’m wondering if it’s a go for next year as well. Or is it too early to tell?

Comment by Nora – January 28, 2011 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very surprised that L&O SVU is on the bubble versus L&O LA. Thought SVU was the best out of the franchise at this point. L&O LA can’t even get its cast together and the storylines about the characters are being revamped. NBC is having a hard time getting ratings as is and should at least keep SVU because it has been a proven winner. Get it together NBC!!

Comment by Monie – January 28, 2011 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • IIRC L&O LA has already been shelved. SVU is on the bubble because it is contract negotiation time for stars Mariska and Chris. Last nego. was a real buster for NBC with both stars standing together against NBC for what they wanted. With ratings being as poor as they have been for the veteran show, I can see NBC pulling its plug if negotiations go south and the stars get too demanding again. Chris has made it clear that he really isnt interested in continuing for antoher season. I personally dont understanbd why as he has a mediocre, at best, film career. After 11 + years in the same role, most actors are hopelessly pigeonholed. Just ask David James Elliot of JAG.

Comment by Trish – January 28, 2011 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fingers crossed, yet again, for Chuck. I don’t know what I would do if it got cancelled. I do however think that the 11 extra episodes will be enough to keep me afloat in the chance that it does get cancelled. But I really don’t want to think about that. Renew it, NBC! Get it to syndication and I will be eternally grateful.

Comment by Katie – January 28, 2011 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post