Fall TV Preview

Renewal Scorecard: What's Coming Back? What's Getting Axed? What's on the Bubble?

TV’s queasy season has arrived. From now until late May, ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and The CW will determine which shows will be back next fall and which will be join Tru Calling, Heroes and Veronica Mars over at the MIA Network. (MIA is fictional people; stop scouring your on-screen channel guide now.)

To help you monitor what’s staying, what’s going and what’s anxiously riding the bubble, I present you with the following easy-to-browse cheat sheet. I’ll be updating this list regularly with the latest industry intel, so I strongly suggest you bookmark this puppy and check back for updates. And for the record, the five eight levels are as follows:
♦ Officially renewed
♦ A sure thing
♦ A safe bet
♦ Could go either way
♦ Too early to tell
♦ A long-shot
♦ Essentially canceled
♦ Officially canceled

ABC
The Bachelor: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
The Bachelorette Officially renewed.
Better With You: Could go either way. Officially canceled.
Body of Proof: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Brothers & Sisters: Could go either way. A safe bet. Officially canceled.
Castle: Officially renewed.
Cougar Town: Officially renewed.
Dancing With the Stars: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Desperate Housewives: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Detroit 1-8-7: A long-shot. Officially canceled.
Grey’s Anatomy: Officially renewed.
Happy Endings: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
The Middle: Officially renewed
Modern Family: Officially renewed
Mr. Sunshine: Could go either way. Officially canceled.
No Ordinary Family: Could go either way. A long-shot. Officially canceled.
Off the Map: Too early to tell. A long-shot. Officially canceled.
Private Practice: Officially renewed.
V: Could go either way. Officially canceled.

CBS
The Amazing Race: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
The Big Bang Theory: Officially renewed.
Blue Bloods: A safe bet.Officially renewed.
Criminal Minds: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior: Could go either way. Officially canceled.
CSI: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
CSI: Miami: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
CSI: NY: Could go either way. A safe bet. Could go either way. Officially renewed.
The Defenders: A long-shot. Officially canceled.
The Good Wife: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Hawaii Five-0: A safe bet. A sure thing. Officially renewed.
How I Met Your Mother: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Mad Love: Too early to tell. Could go either way. Officially canceled.
Medium: Already canceled; final episode aired 1/21/11.
The Mentalist: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Mike & Molly: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
NCIS: Officially renewed.
NCIS: Los Angeles: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Rules of Engagement: Could go either way. Officially renewed.
$#*! My Dad Says: A safe bet. Could go either way. Officially canceled.
Survivor: A sure thing. Officially renewed through next season.
Two and a Half Men: Officially renewed. Could go either way. Officially renewed.
Undercover Boss: A safe bet. Officially renewed.

FOX
American Dad: Officially renewed.
American Idol: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Bob’s Burgers: Could go either way. Officially renewed.
Bones: A sure thing. Officially Renewed.
Breaking In: Could go either way. Officially canceled.
The Chicago Code: Too early to tell. A safe bet. Officially canceled.
The Cleveland Show: Officially renewed.
Family Guy: Officially renewed.
Fringe: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Glee: Officially renewed.
The Good Guys: Officially canceled.
House: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Human Target: Could go either way. Officially canceled.
Lie to Me: Could go either way. Officially canceled.
Raising Hope: Officially renewed.
Running Wilde: Officially canceled.
The Simpsons: Officially renewed.
Traffic Light: Too early to tell. A long-shot. Officially canceled.

NBC
30 Rock: Officially renewed.
The Biggest Loser: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
The Cape: A long-shot. Essentially canceled. Officially canceled.
Celebrity Apprentice: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Chase: A long-shot. Essentially canceled. Officially canceled.
Chuck: Could go either way. Officially Renewed for 13 episode final season.
Community: A safe bet. Officially renewed!
The Event: Could go either way. A long-shot. Officially canceled.
Friday Night Lights: The fifth and final season will premiere on NBC on April 15.
Harry’s Law: Could go either way. A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Law & Order: Los Angeles: A safe bet. Could go either way. Officially canceled.
Law & Order: SVU: Could go either way. A safe bet. A sure thing. Officially renewed.
The Office: A sure thing. Officially renewed!
Outsourced: Could go either way. Officially canceled.
Parenthood: A safe bet. A sure thing. Officially Renewed.
Parks and Recreation: A safe bet. Officially renewed!
Perfect Couples: Too early to tell. A long-shot. Officially canceled.
The Voice: A sure thing. Officially renewed.

THE CW
90210: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
America’s Next Top Model: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Gossip Girl: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Hellcats: A safe bet. Could go either way. A long-shot. Officially canceled.
Life Unexpected: Series finale aired 1/18/11.
Nikita: Could go either way. Officially renewed.
One Tree Hill: Could go either way. A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Smallville: The 10th and final season is currently underway.
Supernatural: A sure thing Officially renewed.
The Vampire Diaries: A sure thing. Officially renewed.

When is your favorite show ending its season? Click here for TVLine’s printable season finale calendar!

Tags: , , , ,

Comments (925)

• Can you provide the addresses for ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, & CW to prevent our favorite shows from being canceled?

Comment by Carly – January 27, 2011 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TV Guide published comments from CBS’ Nina Tassler and she indicated that as long as CSI:NY is doing well in its time slot, which it is, and staying competetive, which it is, it will stay on the air. Unless it plummets in the ratings all of a sudden I don’t see how it could “go either way.” It sounds like a safe bet to me.

Comment by Tracy – January 27, 2011 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would think “Rules of Engagement” and “Bleep My Dad Says” would be switched. While BLEEP has more viewers, “Rules” has a better 18-49 and holds it’s lead in better. When “ROE” slides behind “The Big Bang Theory” I think you’ll see it hold up better than BLEEP did

Comment by Jared – January 27, 2011 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Bones was renewed for 2 seasons last year? Why do we have to campaign for Chuck every year? Come on NBC just renew it!

Comment by kellyo – January 27, 2011 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SVU is the highest rated drama on NBC and is not a safe bet???? WTF!!!!

Comment by Ruth – January 27, 2011 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Law and Order is in no way on the bubble. That’s pretty much the only show prediction I disagree on.

Comment by Monique – January 27, 2011 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I meant Law and Order SVU

Comment by Monique – January 27, 2011 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry I meant Law and Order SVU

Comment by Monique – January 27, 2011 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope CSI:NY’s chances improve, that show is way better than CSI:Miami.

Comment by caz – January 27, 2011 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Detroit 1-8-7 very good show also-sad

Comment by dlferriola – January 27, 2011 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d really love to hear about some USA shows – In Plain Sight, White Collar, Psych, Covert Affairs. I know some are on a different schedule from the networks, but they are great shows! Thanks.

Comment by Jenny – January 27, 2011 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • All of those shows were picked up for another season. In Plain Sight has already been picked up for a fifth season as well (even though the fourth hasn’t yet started). It’s a safe bet that the others will indeed be renewed again as well.

Comment by Brandon – January 27, 2011 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • makes me very HAPPY like em all..

Comment by Becky – February 3, 2011 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wouldn’t worry. They’ve all been pretty much locked in already.

Comment by Jamie Ann – January 27, 2011 11:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait …. SVU could go either way and L&O Los Anteles is a safe bet after they shelved the return???? Something doesn’t seem right with that.

Comment by Tom – January 27, 2011 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There’s no way One Tree Hill is getting renewed. It’s the final season! All the actors have already said this is the last since the season began!

Comment by Sally – January 27, 2011 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • IKR? I think it’s because of the fact that shady CW reports of Dawn saying there’s ‘still a possibility for a season 9′ that everyone’s getting confused. LOL

Comment by Jamie Ann – January 27, 2011 11:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah Supernatural, Fringe,Bones

Comment by Jessica – January 27, 2011 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m actually one of the few people who like The Cape, but I won’t be surprised if it doesn’t make it. I’m just hoping that if it doesn’t, James Frain finds something good to do. Because he was my main reason for watching it. I adore him.
    And come on! I love Chase! Don’t cancel, NBC! That would seriously upset me. D:
    I’m very hopeful for Brothers & Sisters. And if they do choose to end it this year, it better be an ENDING, not a CANCELLATION. I’m also hopeful for No Ordinary Family and Hawaii Five-0, two of my favorites this season.
    And I feel like Fringe is more than just a “safe bet”. I think it’s probably a sure thing because they got some of their highest ratings moving to Friday night (which is surprising cause Friday on that channel usually means it’s doomed).
    The rest of the shows I watch on this list seem to be safe, so that makes me very happy! :D
    Okay, I’m done, haha.

Comment by Casey – January 27, 2011 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love No Ordinary Family.

Comment by Jamie Ann – January 27, 2011 11:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • DOnt worry I love the cape too but it seems like when i like a show on nbc (yes i actually watched the new knight rider) they cancel it :-(

Comment by Reena – January 28, 2011 05:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The most shameful thing about this list: Half of these shows are in double digit seasons and the best show on TV, Friday Night Lights is over.

Comment by Lindz – January 27, 2011 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • shouldn’t it be 6 categories?
    +Already Cancelled (or just Cancelled)

Comment by alex – January 27, 2011 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No; there are five (5) categories of limbo.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – January 27, 2011 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope One Tree Hill comes back.. It’s my favorite show!! Please don’t cancel it!!

Comment by Marie – January 27, 2011 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Crossing my fingers for Fringe and Detroit 1-8-7.

Comment by linstro – January 27, 2011 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with all of them except “Nikita” seems like it’ll get renewed considering it’s on Thursday night (tough night for TV Shows) and that it has higher ratings then 90210 and Gossip Girl . . .

Comment by Mike – January 27, 2011 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree…hope it gets renewed.

Comment by Sparky – January 27, 2011 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. Nikita is the second highest rated show on the CW (second only to TVD), so I don’t see how 90210 and Gossip Girl can be ‘a sure thing’ and Nikita gets a ‘could go either way.’ I feel pretty good about Nikita’s chances of renewal.

Comment by Jamie Ann – January 27, 2011 11:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad 2 c that u think community could return but bummed that chuck is a could either way… I haven’t loved this season but its still entertaining & seems 2 me that NBC would hedge their bets considering….

Comment by Tanya – January 27, 2011 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How is Chase a long-shot?!! That show is amazing and I got everyone in my office watching it!! Great great great show!

Comment by Julio – January 27, 2011 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Unless your office has 3 million people in it, that show is toast.

Comment by thenightstalker – January 27, 2011 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOLA is a safe bet and SVU is on the bubble???? Are you sure you didn’t reverse those?

Comment by Heather – January 27, 2011 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SVU? wow!, how the mighty have fallen.

Comment by dee123 – January 27, 2011 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CHUCK! seriously again every single year this happens give us chuck fans a break NBC. Its gotta be one of the best shows on the TV and has huge fan base y y y?????.

Comment by GalaxyUK – January 27, 2011 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hasnt Gossip Girl had its run already. geez

Comment by Hilary – January 27, 2011 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ugh, Gossip Girl should have been cancelled like 2 seasons ago IMO.

Comment by Jamie Ann – January 27, 2011 11:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously. That show should have been cancelled like 2 seasons ago IMO (same goes for 90210).

Comment by Jamie Ann – January 27, 2011 11:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Outsourced…I’m glad there’s a chance for it, no matter how small.

Comment by Lana – January 27, 2011 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am happy to see Lie to Me has a shot. I love that show so much. I wish people would see how awesome that show is.

Comment by Nichole – January 27, 2011 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to see The Good Wife listed as a sure thing. Would be good to see Nikita listed as a safe bet as well. Thats all I watch…

Comment by Sparky – January 27, 2011 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • L and O:svu could go either way and Los angeles a safe bet? Was that a mistake? We’re not sur LA is coming back? They already have cast changes.

Comment by kim – January 27, 2011 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad about The Good Wife, Fringe & a few comedies, but what about LIE TO ME?!

Comment by Michelle – January 27, 2011 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really hoping Human Target will get renewed it has so much potential. I’m with the rest of you on Supernatural…..it’s time to move on. It’s been going downhill since season 4.

Comment by Hayley – January 27, 2011 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Off the Map? You listed other new shows, but not this one . . .

Comment by Taylor – January 27, 2011 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Prognosis…negative.

Comment by thenightstalker – January 27, 2011 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What a shame. I actually like that show and I don’t usually like medical type shows.

Comment by Jamie Ann – January 27, 2011 11:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CW really blew it giving up on Life Unexpected.

Comment by Tracey – January 27, 2011 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s really irresponsible to put Fringe on as a “safe bet” when it has only one week of ratings to judge by. Don’t get me wrong, I love Fringe to death, but it is NOT out of the woods yet and you are giving its fans a false sense of security. It needs several more weeks of stable ratings to make that call.

Comment by samara – January 27, 2011 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i thought law and order la was already cancelled?

Comment by Erika – January 27, 2011 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s about time NBC is considering not bringing back SVU. The past 6 seasons have been terrible. They’re more focused on guest starts instead of writing. It’s so bad.

Comment by Nicole – January 27, 2011 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cable networks? USA AMC etc?

Comment by Christina – January 27, 2011 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know I may be late to the news on this one but was “Running Wilde” already canceled? I kind of forgot about it but then remembered when I did catch an episode it was very funny. Had the potential to become a cult fave like “Arrested Development” maybe.

Comment by Allison – January 27, 2011 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was canceled for weak ratings.

Comment by Brandon – January 27, 2011 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How is L&O: LA a safe bet and L&O: SVU could go either way! UGH!

Comment by Dionne – January 27, 2011 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let’s go Parenthood!

Comment by Amy – January 27, 2011 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here we go again. I wish Chuck would get an early renewal this season…

Comment by Melanie – January 27, 2011 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • how could you not renew Chuck after the awesomeness that Timothy Dalton has brought as one of the funniest bad guys. He’s like comic book crazy. I love Chuck. Please can’t we have another year.

Comment by Kathryn – January 27, 2011 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one who likes The Cape? And what about Off the Map? I know it’s new, but I really like it!

Comment by Rachel – January 27, 2011 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really like Off The Map as well.

Comment by Jamie Ann – January 27, 2011 11:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CSI:NY is on the toughest night and it’s staying competitive.I hope it stays.

Comment by Juliab. – January 27, 2011 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d totally watch the MIA Network. Somebody get on that, pronto!

And CBS? Enough with the chain-yanking about HIMYM. Just renew it, and don’t keep us hanging ’til May again!

Comment by Kevin M. – January 27, 2011 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hoping V can hold on and score another season. So far i have been loving Season 2 so much better than Season 1. This is the only show on the bubble i want renewed. Oh and No Ordinary Family but i can’t see it being renewed. V though i can.

Comment by Guy – January 27, 2011 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope so too! I LOVE the show this season and really hope they give it another shot so they can end it and not leave us hanging.

Comment by GS – January 28, 2011 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You have LA & SVU switched right? SVU is getting much better ratings than LA

Comment by Joe Jackson – January 27, 2011 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Better with you is on the bubble?! I happen to love sitcoms but there are a lot of horrible ones on and this is definitely not one of them. The cast is amazing together and the writing makes it so genuine that situations can easily be seen in real life.

Please keep this show ABC!!!

Comment by Kristine – January 27, 2011 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not CHASE!!!!! I LOVE that show!

Comment by Kjcarlton – January 27, 2011 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’m really disappointed to hear that about chase. i think it has real potential, and has been getting better each episode. and there definately isn’t enough strong female characters like annie frost, who can hold their own against the guys, in a male dominated field on tv.

Comment by dylan – January 27, 2011 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post