Exclusive: Minka Kelly and Rachael Taylor Round Out TV's New Charlie's Angels

Minka Kelly and Rachael Taylor are close to putting on angel wings.

The Friday Night Lights alumna and the Transformers babe are nearing deals to play the remaining two titular private eyes in ABC’s Charlie’s Angels pilot. They join the previously cast Annie Ilonzeh (General Hospital) to form a new trio of sexy sleuths – Kelly’s character, which is being renamed, Ilonzeh’s Kate and Taylor’s Abby.

New Charlie’s Angels Casts First Angel

Producing studio Sony Pictures TV and Drew Barrymore’s Flower Films went through an exhaustive search for the three leads in this Angels series reboot. Kelly was a name the producers kept coming back to, and they are now reworking the role to tailor it to her. In the current breakdown, the character, named Marisa, is described as a former U.S. Marine, a weapons expert trained in all forms of hand-to-hand combat, and a neat freak.

Taylor’s Abby is the youngest and sassiest of the Angels. The beautiful and privileged daughter of a notorious Wall Street crook, she is an expert con artist herself, as well as a Krav Maga expert.

Kelly has kept busy since leaving FNL two years ago. Most recently, she has recurred on NBC’s Parenthood, which is produced by the same company as FNL, Imagine TV. She can next be seen on the big screen opposite Gossip girl Leighton Meester in the thriller The Roommate, opening February 4.

Taylor, meanwhile, starts a recurring role on ABC’s Grey’s Anatomy next week, playing Callie’s obstetrician — and a possible love interest for Karev.

Smallville alums Alfred Gough and Miles Millar penned the script for the Charlie’s Angels pilot and are executive-producing with Leonard Goldberg (an EP of the original series), Barrymore and Nancy Juvonen.

Comments (54)

• this show will fail.

Comment by Samantha – January 27, 2011 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh. Complete casting failure. I’m out.

Comment by Bruce_F – January 27, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • omg minka and rachael? didn’t care before, but now officially excited. hope it’s good.

Comment by Bee – January 27, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is going to be so bad.

Comment by Emily – January 27, 2011 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Taylor was gonna be a love interest for Avery. AT least that’s what every other site has said so far when they announced she’d be joining the cast of GA.

Anyways, the show looks good, I might check it out.

Comment by Dominique – January 27, 2011 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Charlie’s Angels, so I’m definitely going to give this a shot. I just hope it doesn’t crash, burn, and fail. I still think they’re making a mistake by not reaching out to Kristin Kreuk, though.

Comment by Summer – January 27, 2011 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of course they’d cast a black chick. Gotta be PC!

Comment by trace – January 27, 2011 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The character Minka Kelly is playing is latina, so it’s a diverse team.In this day in age, I don’t thing anyone’s eager to sign up for an action series about three white chicks.

Comment by renner – January 27, 2011 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. When a cast is “Too White” they are “alienating all other races” however when they try to get a diverse group of actors they’re “being too PC” guess you really can’t make everyone happy.

Comment by Kris – January 27, 2011 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Such BS!! I don’t remember there being a black chic in the original! Would have been SOOO much better with another brunette… like Kristin Kreuk!

Comment by Paul Gonzalez – March 6, 2011 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not a one looks like a former Marine trained in hand to hand combat. Bad idea to rehash this show. If ABC puts Angels on and drops the excellent Detroit 187,there is no justice in tv land.

Comment by PJL – January 27, 2011 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Did you not read the article? It says Minka Kelly (the gorgeous dark haired goddess on the left) was cast as Marisa cause the casting directors really wanted her to be apart of the show but are now tailoring the character to suit her because she didn’t fit any of the pre-written characters. They are changing her name and persona to suit her.

Comment by Kris – January 27, 2011 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “they are now reworking the role to tailor it to her. In the current breakdown, the character, named Marisa, is described as a former U.S. Marine, a weapons expert trained in all forms of hand-to-hand combat, and a neat freak.”
        Kris, I supposed this could be read two ways, but it does say in the current breakdown, not “originally”. Writer’s ambiguity, hence our different interpretations.

Comment by PJL – January 27, 2011 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • On the other hand, we live in a world where Friday Night Lights, despite ratings working against it, managed five seasons, so there IS justice in TV land.

Except for that bit where Friday Night Lights didn’t get very good ratings.

Comment by LoopyChew – January 28, 2011 06:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a sad bunch of angels.

Bring on the demons, hopefully they’re hotter…and naughtier!

Not even Anthony DiNozzo, Sr. can save this POS.

Comment by jason – January 27, 2011 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Minka Keeeeeeeellyyy! I’m so gonna watch it! I was already going to, but… you know… Minka Kelly!
    I love her work.
    And miss Lyla Garrity a looot!

Comment by Mayra – January 27, 2011 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kate Jackson as Bosley. Let’s make it happen.

Comment by cody – January 27, 2011 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And T-Pain as Charlie…

Comment by BJ – January 27, 2011 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hello, Angels! I’m on a boat.

Comment by sarah – January 27, 2011 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Got my flippy floppies, I’m on a boat!!!!!

Comment by Kimby – January 27, 2011 10:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yawn… does anyone care about this?

Comment by Alex – January 27, 2011 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I do.

Comment by Michelle – January 27, 2011 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No & I don’t think it’s going to be worth watching.

Comment by Joanna – January 31, 2011 05:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So does this mean that Annie Ilonzeh will be leaving General Hospital? Anyone know?

Comment by Lisa – January 27, 2011 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • According to Soap Opera Weekly, GH has no plans ofd getting rid of her character just yet. However, that is because she has only shot a pilot and the show hasn’t been picked up for a series yet. If it is picked up for a series, I would assume she would leave the General Hospital.

Comment by Kris – January 27, 2011 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not a fan of Minka Kelly but I do like Rachael. Hope this will be good.

Comment by Jones19 – January 27, 2011 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hollywood, with all the money you’re making on your over-priced movies, can’t you at least come up with something NEW???
    And if you have to remake yet another tv show, why don’t you use a good one? Charlie’s Angels was crap from day one to the last steaming pile/movie. Leave it alone!

Comment by Robin – January 27, 2011 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am definitely gonna check this out. Only saw a handful of the original Angels series (sadly) and I loved the movie. These girls look like they can pull it off, and I’m sure it’ll be great.

Even if it isn’t, you could at least give it a chance. Ya pessimistic b**t**ds.

Comment by Dave – January 27, 2011 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you for the update. I can hardly wait for the new “Charlie’s Angels” series! I don’t expect it to follow closely in the original’s footsteps; this just can’t be done. All I ask is that the new series be as much fun as the original. Or close enough.

Keep up the good work!

Comment by Mary Anne Landers – January 27, 2011 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • James Earl Jones for Charlie!!

Comment by Brad – January 27, 2011 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If James Earl Jones is not available then Geoffrey Holder.

Comment by Brad – January 27, 2011 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This could have been something great with some well known good actresses. With out a familiar face, I don’t see this show sticking around even if it’s a reboot.

Comment by Joshua – January 27, 2011 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d say Minka Kelly is pretty recognizable. She may not be a household name but she is gorgeous and has an audience. Plenty of shows have been hugely successful without big names. Did anyone know who Katherine Heigl was before Grey’s Anatomy? Did anyone know who Lea Michele was before Glee? Even as far as re-boots go, Hawaii 5-0 is pretty successful and no one on that show is a “big name”

Comment by Kris – January 27, 2011 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well this is going to fail rather quickly, very bad casting. I guess they’re really going for the dumb T&A look. Being set in Miami, I can see it now, opening shot all the girls in bikinis and running in slow motion, bouncing all the way. Combined IQ of a can of tuna fish and I’ll bet it will stink just as bad.

Comment by Rusty – January 27, 2011 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haha, I totally agree with Dave above. I love Annie on GH. Not too familiar with the others, though I have heard of Minka, but I’ll give a try. Why not? If I don’t like it, I’ll turn it off. I’ve always thought it was a better use of my time to give something a chance and then complain about how much it sucked than to not even give it a chance and complain about how much it will suck.

Comment by Ella – January 27, 2011 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know about the other actresses, but as for Minka Kelly… the poor girl can’t act, from all of her scenes on FNL, the only ones that you could save were the ones with Tim (Taylor Kitsch) and that’s only because he’s awesome at it. Her character went through major changes in 3 seasons and her face looked the same all the way. She’s kinda boring to watch on tv. But I guess that dating Derek Jeter has its benefits, riiiight??

Comment by Kiki – January 27, 2011 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will watch for Minka. The other two? Eh. But Minka is enough to get me to watch.

Comment by XK – January 27, 2011 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Should have got Katie Cassidy.

Comment by Hammer – January 27, 2011 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. Katie, Minka, and Annie would have been a great casting coup. However, atleast they got Minka.

Comment by Kris – January 27, 2011 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anybody else think the blonde looks like Blair from the Facts of Life?

Comment by Melokesm – January 27, 2011 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She doesn’t usually, but in that picture, I totally see it.

Comment by Summer – January 27, 2011 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was my first thought even before reading the names of the actresses. I was like why is Lisa Welchel back?

Comment by Snsetblaze – January 27, 2011 11:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This could work if they went with a more serious drama and not campy..the girls need guns like the original…to bad they didn’t get Katie Cassidy or Gugu Mbatha-Raw.

Comment by Jake – January 27, 2011 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m definitely a fan of Annie Ilonzeh’s as I watch General Hospital, but to the other girls, a big “eh.” I wish they’d try something original instead of another remake.

Comment by Kira J – January 27, 2011 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s not a remake, as everyone keeps saying. Drew Barrymore is producing it, and it’s a continuation of both the original series and the two movies.

Comment by Summer – January 27, 2011 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MINKA KELLY! I was interested in this before but now I am sold. Minka is a goddess. Beautiful and incredibly talented. Great casting.

Comment by Kris – January 27, 2011 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Total casting *FAIL* — show is already on my must-miss list, to not only be ignored, but actively avoided.

Comment by Joe Kidd – January 27, 2011 11:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Angels are fine. What they need is a script each ep that rises above TV level eye candy & drivel.

Comment by Juke Early – January 28, 2011 04:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “a former U.S. Marine, a weapons expert trained in all forms of hand-to-hand combat, and a neat freak” is what they *changed* the role to be for Minka Kelly?! I’m a fan of hers from FNL, but really?

Comment by Ben Phelps – January 28, 2011 05:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • fat,ugly, Media whore isn’t dating Derek Jeter. there is no romantic connection. she needs publicity.

Comment by Sharon Leslie Jeter – February 19, 2011 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Annie HOT, Rachael SUPER HOT and Minka SUPER SUPER HOT. Always excited about the reboot of Charlie’s Angels and I’m definitely in. Hope ABC gives this new version a place on Thursday night at 8 p.m. following in the lineup with Grey’s Anatomy and Private Practice and giving young viewers a chance to watch it and it will go face to face with The Big Bang Theory and Community and Vampire Diaries. ABC needs a huge hit in the 8 p.m. Thursday night slot. Hope it gets pickup for a full season and perhaps renewed for Season Two.

Comment by Kevin – April 24, 2011 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is gonna crash and burn!

EPIC FAIL!

Comment by Gazsta – June 9, 2011 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, honey, she might not have gotten the part because of her boyfriend, but to say that she’s a wonderful actress??? Now you give me a break. And thank you sooo much for being so polite. That alone made your comment as wonderful as Minka’s acting skills.

Comment by Kiki – January 28, 2011 02:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Minka is this you? Truth hurts! You can’t act and it does benefit you being the girlfriend of Derek Jeter since it’s the first thing listed on your Bio on IMDB. You hardly got anything before Jeter. I guess it’s the selling point for Derek Jeter and Yankee fans.

I think Charlies Angels will end up being as bad as the Knight Rider remake. Back in the 80s it was popular because of Spelling. No one should even try to redo his shows. Melroes place exited quickly and had a pretty cast and 90210 another show that’s not doing well.

Comment by Lowell – January 28, 2011 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post