American Idol Nashville Auditions: Reaction?

The American Idol season 10 train pulled into Nashville tonight, and found a dental assistant imitating a grating child’s toy fueled by dying batteries, a beauty pageant blinding two out of three judges with her glistening smile, and a 15-year-old girl attempting to show us why producer Nigel Lythgoe has been pimping her before she even got a second of airtime. Will any of them be this year’s answer to Lee DeWyze, or even Paige Miles? Only time will tell, although for my money, best of the night was the small scruffy dude who auditioned alongside his ex-girlfriend. “What’s goin’ on?” he asked. Dude, you’ve got it goin’ on, that’s who!

Anyhow, that’s enough yapping from me for the moment. I’ve got an entire episode recap to write, so I’m gonna get typing (and you can look for it in the morning right here at TVLine.com). Did you enjoy the Nashville auditions? Who was your favorite hopeful? And who didn’t deserve a Golden Ticket but got one anyway? Head down to the comments section and sound off.

What’s more, if you have some strong thoughts or opinions on anything you saw this week on Idol — pertaining to judges, contestants, trends or conspiracy theories — and you’d like to share them on the next episode of TVLine’s new Idol-related Web series, Idoloonies, email a paragraph or two to idoloonies@tvline.com (and be sure to include a contact phone number). We’ll be selecting a handful of readers each week to join me in cohosting the Webcast via Skype or video chat (to tape on Friday afternoons). We’ll also be choosing a Twitter Question of the Week, so don’t hesitate to fire your best shots to me @MichaelSlezakTV. Be sure to tag it #Idoloonies!

1. Andrew says:

I really loved the first of the three guys they showed in a row that was singing Maggie – Paul McDonald. Now I know, white male rocker who looks like he probably plays guitar. But the tone of his voice really gripped me.

I also agree that the couple who weren’t a couple each had great tone and I wouldn’t mind seeing either of them in the final round of cuts, at the very least.

The very last girl, the 15 year old, def has potential. I don’t know if she’ll be my personal favourite, but I wouldn’t count her out. I can see her following in Katie Stevens footsteps.

• Lauren(the last girl) has definite potential, but are they making her more than she is because she really is all that, or because they want to justify the reason they lowered the age limit to 15? If they lower the limit and get zero talent then it shows they made a mistake, but if they try to take all these 15 year olds and say “hey, look, it was good we did this”, then it would prove it wasn’t a mistake. I definetly think she is good, but I feel they are making it a bit more than it really is just to prove a point. It wouldn’t be the first time that producers and judges tried to sway or manipulate the audience a bit.

• cody says:

I beleive that she will be the best and she got what it takes. If anyone dont agree you hatin, i know who im voting for this season.

• Amanda says:

Agree. Paul McDonald is definite fave for me at this point. The rasp in his voice and his cover of that song really got to me. I’m hoping he brings something a little bit different to Idol, instead of the majority of white, teen girls we’ve seen so far.

• Snsetblaze says:

I was trying to figure out who Paul McDonald reminded me of – it wasn’t quite Rod Stewart. He reminded me of Ray Lamontagne. I liked him a lot from the brief snippet we got. Also liked the guy out of the “couple” (the girl was ok – not great). The 15 year old that was pimped was just ok. We’ve heard better 15 year olds.

2. Eolra says:

Argh- I’m totally getting 15-year-old fatigue. Also, I thought tonight really demonstrated the difference between the old and new judging panel. It seems Randy is stuck in the past, laughing openly at contestants, accusing them of being “a joke” when they are singing in earnest, and acting like they are a waste of space and wasting his precious time – basically he is still on the Simon bandwagon (because we all know he can’t think for himself, dawg). I think J-Lo said it best tonight when she said “You’re an idiot!” I like the new vibe that S-Ty and J-Lo have brought to the panel. They really pay attention, and you really feel that it’s not about THEM, it’s about the contestants. I hope Randy falls in line (actually based on his spineless nature I’m sure he will eventually, but it’s hard to teach an old dawg new tricks, for me, for you).

• Jill says:

I’ve always thought that the laughing was rude…however after 10 years, he probably doesn’t have the tolerance that the others do after sooo many bad auditions. In the first few seasons, I don’t remember the judges laughing(well maybe Simon). But even Paula started to laugh as the years went on.
      The one thing I’ve noticed with Randy though, is that he isn’t competitive with the other judges by giving “A MILLION PERCENT YES” after another judge has said 100%, 1000%. It is a little easier watching him this season

• Eolra says:

I kinda feel sorry for him. He’s like that nerd in school who’s still telling the same joke that he heard the “cool kids” telling in grade 4, and now when he tells it in Grade 6 everyone is like, “Dude, that’s not funny anymore.”

• Snsetblaze says:

I don’t mind if he tells them they are a joke and just looking for their 15 minutes when they really are one (like the guy in a blue costume) but some of the others weren’t, unfortunately, a joke – they were just disillusioned.

3. Tek says:

Pageant girl so did not need to go thru…she’s this year’s bikini girl w/o the kini. I liked the scruffy ex too…had a great tone to his voice. Didn’t like the 15 yr old as much as everyone else…the higher the pedestal the farther they fall (Josiah Leming anyone??).

Nigel should have chosen better words on his tweet this morning… “nigelblythgoe Check out Nashville tonight. I haven’t been excited about a 15 year old until now. I can’t wait to hear what Kelly Clarkson fans think!”

Just sayin!

• Eolra says:

Blech. I’m bracing myself for much pimpage. Will they ever let us make up our own minds without shoving them down our throats? Wait, let me answer that – NO.

• Snsetblaze says:

Yes I agree. Those words are a bit creepy.

By the way, Josiah Leming has a great album out now.

4. Dani C says:

Liked the first guy, part of the ex-couple, and i liked the girl w/the older boyfriend (jackie?)…not sure what to make about the last 15 yr old though. As someone else said, i’m already tired of the 15yr old pimpage, and i really don’t appreciate the voice over about not missing out on her idol journey. Hello, maybe she’s out the first day of hollywood; i don’t like anything being force fed to me. Here’s hoping some singers w/talent get through and it’s not a prepubescent free for all.

5. Amanda says:

I have to admit that the Nashville ep was the first I’ve watched all the way through. I’ve been kind of scared to tune in. After watching Idolloonies last night, I had to give it a shot. Definitely wasn’t dissappointed. I think JLo and Steven Tyler are the best judges Idol has had in a long while and legitimately care about who they are sending through and encouraging those who have potential (for the most part). Miss Teen USA was alright. She didn’t deserve a golden ticket, though. Her voice is going to get lost in Hollywood week and she definitely needed to work on her pipes for another year or two. I will be shocked if she gets through Hollywood week. I really did like the 15 yr old girl (who’s name I already forgot… I never remember names until Hollywood) but I fear that she and many of the other young contestants will get eaten alive in Hollywood. My favorite was ex-boyfriend guy (holy awkward though with the current boyfriend?).

6. Jessica says:

Tonight was not a great night. I didn’t like any of them. The ex couple wasn’t bad as a duet but not separately. I also did not like all of the weird auditions/drama. Bad night all around for AI unfortunately.

7. melissa says:

This episode disappointed me a lot, probably because the Milwaukee auditions were so amazing.

8. Davie says:

Kind of a meh audition group shown. Best one for me was Adrienne the farm girl. Good voice and good look.

9. Sips says:

Teen Idol to the rescue. Or so AI seems to think. I think the opposite, but who am I?

10. Mel31602 says:

I was surprised to hear the last girl was the one Nigel was pimping because I had assumed it was thia from last night. The last girl was the best of the night but I fear the pimping may cause her to lose public support- which I can already tell from the other comments.
    The girl ex sounded better in the duet and the guy was better solo but the girl was more my taste. I also liked Jackie the other country blonde.
    Also did anyone else think tattoo guy should have gotten through? If u just ignore the odd movements he has a good voice.

11. Mel31602 says:

Oh and one more thing- anyone know if that was Kris allen’s version of Falling Slowly that they played during the audition of that guy w all the foster siblings? It sounded just like Kris.

• It was him, and I actually loved that they did that. Kris Allen’s “Falling Slowly” is one of my favorite songs by an Idol contestant. I wasn’t even the biggest Kris Allen fan, but the way he did that song was so beautiful and still gives me chills.

• Aiden says:

I noticed that too! And I definitely think it’s Kris Allen’s version. I turned away a bit when I felt the sob story coming, but hearing Falling Slowly whipped my attention back quickly on the screen.

It’s really enjoyable when they plan former winner/contestant’s original or cover songs. Reminds me of the talent they find and why Idol’s relevant.

• kristie says:

it was indeed, & i’m so happy that they played his version of that song. i still get chills every time i hear it.

12. sara says:

Idol took a major step backwards for me tonight, the over pimping of Lauren at the end was laughable. She has a pretty good voice, but could they have laid it on any harder? The Faux!Tears! The Tyler!Duet! The She’stheOne! The BringtheWholeAnnoyingFamilyin! Ugggggh! Gee, anyone getting the feeling Nygel really really really really wants a 15 year old to win?? This season is going to be painful……

An hey, JLo and Steven?? You have shown plenty of evidence that you have functioning ears and braincells, so please feel free to tell Nygel to frek off when he orders you to play along with this nonsense.

• JayK says:

Exactly. I really didn’t get what was going on with Lauren. Sure, she sounded great but how about we don’t award her the title just yet? And can someone please tell Randy that telling auditioners that they’re terrible does not make him Simon.

13. Amanda says:

Idol is pimping their favourites again already with 15 year old Lauren at the end of the show tonight, but as usual, I’ve got my eyes on someone else. Paul McDonald who sang a raspy, laid back version of “Maggie May” blew me away. It’s a shame they had to throw him in a montage. Instead of watching a back story about one of the ridiculous contestants that can’t sing, I’d have liked to see more of him. I can already imagine him covering some Ray Lamontagne. He’s a front runner for me.

Another fave in this episode for me was Matt Dillard but time will tell if he becomes a novelty on the show. Yeah, he seemed a bit ridiculous up there in his overalls and cowboy hat, singing a song by Josh Groban but he delivered. What I didn’t get were the comments from Randy. I feel like he’s trying too hard this year. And the criticism about his outfit choice with his song choice. I thought it was refreshing, he wasn’t trying to impress. I didn’t understand why they were so hesitant to put him through when last week they put through that girl who got down on her knees, crying and begging. Really?

No use trying to figure out this show, it’ll drive me crazy. I’m just hoping and praying that Paul McDonald gets put through because I can see him becoming a big contender. There needs to not be so many teens and Kelly Clarkson wannabe’s. Crystal Bowersox was soooo refreshing last year. Crossing my fingers I can get behind an artist like that again this year!

14. MichelleR says:

I’m left cold at people trying to force people together or tell exes to work out their differences, particularly if the advice givers are strangers. My vivid imagination can think of a dozen things per person they could have done to warrant a break-up, and even if none of those are the case, some people don’t belong together.

15. AM says:

Adrienne was the best tonight.

J.Lo started to go diva several times tonight. She seemed really impatient. Still love Steven.

16. Wendeeloo says:

Adrienne the girl from the farm was such an interesting story, wasn’t it? Hope she sticks around. I’m tweeting Nigel about the shameless pimping – I know he’ll delete immediately but it’ll feel good to get it out. For anyone else who wants to – I think his Twitter handle is dizzy feet.

17. Emma says:

And this was supposed to be the “high talent episode”? None of them really hit me, not with their talent and not wit their personalities. NONE. The small scruffy guy was the only one that I would like to see in Hollywood. Also in this episode the annoying “character” contestants were just that – annoying, in a forgettable way.

Still waving flag for Brett and molly DeWolfe, though.

18. betty says:

I love love love steven tyler but he says too many yeses even to mediocre people. u would think that a singer in his position would be able to distinguish btw the mediocre and the great. wts going on?

19. CMJ says:

Steven Tyler is a good judge, but he’s best seen with your eyes closed.

I am predisposed to dislike 15 year olds and pageant winners. That said, I liked the farm girl and the scruffy ex.

20. John May says:

Overalls guy, looking like he looked, singing Josh Groban? I’m almost inclined to call setup troll. Aside from the fake teary breakdown by Lauren–which made me kinda LOL–her audition was good. I liked her. Paul Mcdonald’s was inconsistent to me; parts of it were great, other parts were way too quiet. I almost couldn’t hear him. The ex-couple were really good, separately and as a duet. Actually, they should get a tv sitcom deal. Their chemistry had just the right amount of hot and cold to make it potentially a riot. The African American woman with her American Gothic parents was way too compelling for her not to make it to this year’s version of whatever the top 24 is gonna be.

21. santos_l_halpor says:

If it really is a girl’s year, they shouldn’t put Paul McDonald or Rob Bolin through to the live rounds. McDonald’s rendtion of “Maggie May” gave off a Paolo Nutini meets Sting feel. Bolin’s tone is heartbreakingly gritty.

Not drinking to Kool-Aid on Lauren Alaina yet. She very good, but outside of Jordin Sparks, every single 16 year old has crumbled in the later rounds. If she gets there, I expect numerous weeks of 15!!!!!11111one!2 from Randy Jackson in the future.