Maggie Q Teases a 'Big Twist' For Nikita and Michael (But Does It Involve 'Sauna Sex'?)

When The CW presented its “Kick-Ass Women” panel at this month’s Television Critics Association press tour, you had to feel that Maggie Q dominated the dais, seeing as she so fiercely plays Nikita’s titular lethal weapon. With the action-drama resuming its freshman run this Thursday at 9/8c, TVLine invited Maggie to assess how Alex’s good news is actually bad news for Nikita’s agenda, clear the air on a certain “steamy” scene, and preview a critical convo between Nik and Michael.

TVLINE | Beyond the physical, in what ways do you feel Nikita “kicks ass”?
I love that you ask that because, as damaged as she is as a woman and considering the things she’s been through, she’s pretty kick-ass. It’s really hard to separate yourself from the world and make this massive commitment, to bring [Division] down. I don’t know many people who would do that.

TVLINE | What has surprised you about the Nikita experience? What has come of it that you did not expect going in?
A lot, really. The workload is extraordinary. I’m no stranger to working hard, and I’m not afraid of it, but… I’m on every day, I go from one episode to the next without one day in between, and the amount of material that mounts…! Also, I’ve been very involved with the writers on a level that I didn’t expect, which is great. I’ll recall something from 10 episodes ago and say, “Well, I’m not saying [that again] because I said it before.” You want to have your “thing” as a character, but you want each situation to evoke a different type of emotion where you’re not relaying the same dialogue.

Nikita Exclusive: Get Ready to Meet ‘Future Alex’!

TVLINE | With Alex (played by Lyndsy Fonseca) living on the outside now, how does that help Nikita? Or does it? I’d think she’s more valuable on the inside at Division.
I don’t think it does help Nikita very much. In fact, it’s going to make her life more difficult. She got promoted too early, which created a complication for them. Nikita trained her well, but too well. Nikita worried about this, that if she didn’t understand the role she was playing she would prematurely move to a level that she wasn’t ready for. Now that Alex is on the outside, it doesn’t mean they can work together, since she’s being monitored.

TVLINE | If I were to pick one nit with the show, it’s that every other episode seems to find Nikita and Michael (Shane West) pulling guns on each other, with both loathe to actually pull the trigger. What variations on that can we do moving forward?
Oh, a lot. There is some great stuff coming up for Michael and Nikita. Since Episode 9, where they teamed up [against] the man that killed his family, he’s been angry with her on a level he never expected to be, and they haven’t really come into huge contact since. In the episode we’re shooting now, they finally get into it and have a no-nonsense conversation about what happened – “This is what you took from me, how dare you?!” Soon after that, we’re going to see a very big twist in their relationship. Because you’re right, they can’t point guns at each other forever. There’s something deeper at stake for both of them, and there’s something about their past we still don’t know about.

Watch this CW video of Maggie talking Nikita:

Loading video...

TVLINE | What’s this sauna scene I’m hearing about…?
I fight a bunch of dudes in a Turkish bath. [Laughs] The gangsters Nikita’s after are in there, drinking vodka and being Russian and such, and she goes in to have a conversation with them. Those guys in the towels just watch, thank god, while she has a big fight with their bodyguards.

TVLINE | OK, because there was one rumor making rounds that Nikita and Michael have sex in the sauna.
Oh, Nikita and Michael are both there in the sauna during the fight, but no sex. [Laughs] No sex for Nikita, man — she’s high and dry!

TVLINE | But is that because she simply doesn’t have time, obsessed as she is with taking down Division, or is there no desire because of past emotional scars?
I think it’s both. But to add to that, look at Alex – she’s someone who can still be saved; she’s not damaged the way Nikita is. She’s been through what she’s been through, but there’s still a chance. So the writers said to me, “Are you going to get upset if Alex had sex before Nikita?” I started laughing – “Of course she’s going to have sex before Nikita!” Because there are a lot of scars. For it to happen with [Nikita and] anybody, it’s got to be somebody really dear to her.

Scoop! Lie To Me Spies Nikita Hunk

TVLINE | There recently was talk of tweaks being made to make Nikita more friendly to the young female viewers The CW covets. Are you seeing or feeling any of that?
I haven’t overtly seen that. Here’s my goal: I want to make a seriously dark show, and not on a network that has ever done that. And I have to say that ‘til now, we’ve been pretty lucky to make the show we’ve wanted to. The CW has been very generous, and not too nervous about that. I know the young female demo is what’s important to them, but the reality is we can’t make a show that 40-year-old men like that 13-year-old girls like too. If we do get both, we’re lucky. But the young poppier stuff, I personally have no interest in that. They can do that with other characters, but I’m not going to play to that.

Do you appreciate Maggie’s resolve to keep Nikita — or at least Nikita — “seriously dark”? What’s your favorite part of the series?

1. Kelly says:

Michael and Nikita need to have sex right now!!!! They need to kiss and make up.

2. Summer says:

I love that she wants to keep this a strong, dark, smart show, but at the end of the day, how much say does Maggie Q have in how they reformat the series?

• Miranda says:

As much say as she’s the main character and they can’t make her play a character she’s not.

• Jen says:

‘A seriously dark show’??? I call BS on that. The original La Femme Nikita on USA Network was dark and edgy, beautifully crafted and acted, phenomenal writing….this drek is just pretty window dressing, sparkly but with no substance.

• Kris says:

Then you clearly don’t watch it. Lets not call it the “USA show” though. USA has as much input in La Femme Nikita as SOAPnet has with Being Erica.

3. Michelle says:

Good for you, Maggie! I love the show just the way it is. This has me even more excited for it to return, which I’m sure was the point! LOL

4. Jen says:

OMFG!!!!!! GREAT scoop Matt. I freaking can’t wait for Nikita to return this Thursday. Loved every single Q and answer in this interview. Maggie Q is so amazing & gets the show/characters so much IMO. Also <3333333 MIKITA!!!!!!!! :D THANKS again.

5. Rach says:

JFC!!!! MATT!!! you kill me.. this is like one of the two best TCA interviews from Nikita to date!!!! Loved every single one of your Q’s~~~ and omgogmogmogmomg thank YOU for the MIKITA scoop!!! <3333
    Maggie Q is simply amazeballs, i want to marry her.
    Thank you so much again!!!!

6. Jen Jen says:

If I had one thing to nitpick about this show – it is where is the sex? Why be the hottest rogue spy and be absolutely Laura Ingalls about it. Regular people have more sex then these super spies. And for a hot tv show . . . that doesn’t work for me. Get on it.

7. Brock says:

They’ve GOTTA stay dark and NOT go light and frothy. I love my 90210, Gossip Girl, OTH… but Nikita is different and that’s awesome!

Fantastic interview and I’m loving her so much more right now!

8. Danielle says:

What is wrong with you people? This show is not about SEX. I don’t need sex in a show just to make it watchable. If you want sex in a show watch Gossip Girl or Grey’s Anatomy (where they do it anywhere). Even though I love watching both of those shows, the sex has nothing to do with it.

Good for you Maggie Q for staying true to your character.

9. Jen says:

Danielle, all I got to say is WORD. That’s what I love so much about Nikita. It’s different and not like most typical CW shows! I love Maggie Q even more for staying true to the show and her character, she gets it. Also she’s amazing. :)

10. Toni says:

Gotta say, I love that Maggie Q. She’s right about the show. If it’s anything but dark, it’s not Nikita. I do want to see where this thing between Nikita and Michael is going. Also, who will Alex end up with? Can’t wait until tomorrow night.

11. Sky says:

Thank you for this awesome interview, Matt! I love that Maggie has a certain vision for the show and her character, and she sticks to it. Girl works hard — she deserves to get what she busts her a** off for. The questions you asked were exactly what I wanted to know. Maggie answered them brilliantly without giving too much away. Such a tease!

12. Maria says:

I’ve just started watching all of the episodes from Nikita and I’m hooked! Am I the only one that would like to see Alex with Michael?? It is obvious that Nikita doesn’t feel ‘that way’ for Michael.

13. Sheda says:

Maria – Uh…well, I’m sure you’re not the only Malex shipper out there, but I’m just stating fact when I say that you guys are definitely the minority.

On to opinion:
    – You’ve got to be BLIND if you don’t see the obvious chemistry between Nikita and Michael. EVERYONE in-universe sees it; that includes Alex. Have you seen the episode “Echoes” yet?
    – I QUOTE FROM NIKITA’S OWN WORDS WHILE SPEAKING TO MICHAEL: “What I did, I did out of- …not wanting to see you get hurt.”
    – Also, Michael is way too old for Alex.
    – Also, if this happened Nikita would be *seriously* weirded out. Not to mention upset. And despite what you may believe, Alex and Nikita do care about each other.
    – Finally… Mikita has had it going on since WAY before Nikita found Alex. So really, Malex doesn’t have much of a chance of really happening.

14. i think that nikita keeping it dark is okay
    i mean i sometimes do wish that michael and nikita used there feeling for good
    but in the end i believe that they have dbeen to much just to forgive eachother out of the blue…so i believe that them taking there time is great :D

15. i love the show is amazing
    michael and nikita such a cute couple…
    but they got a lot to sort out first :D