Grey's Anatomy Exclusive: Kate Walsh Returns for March 31 Musical Episode!

In what can only be viewed as an ominous sign for that little bun in Callie’s oven, Private Practice heroine Kate Walsh is bringing her baby doc back to Grey’s Anatomy later this season, sources confirm to me exclusively.

Details are sketchy, but I’m told that Addison will be summoned to Seattle Grace in the March 31 musical-themed episode for the purpose of helping out with a medical crisis. You don’t need a PhD in Common Sense to figure out that the Code Red in question will likely involve Callie and Mark’s unborn tyke. And considering this is the much-talked-about musical episode, it’s also safe to assume that Callie’s calamity serves as the impetus for all the singing.

The good news? As I reported in Ask Ausiello, it’s my understanding that Callie will carry this baby to term. So consider your miscarriage fears all but squashed.

Thoughts? Looking forward to Addison’s reaction upon learning that her ex hooked up (and then some!) with a lesbian? Worried about what toll this fresh batch of drama will have on Calzona? Hit the comments!

Comments (296)

• I love Addison, and i welcome her return to the program, I think someone who didn’t experience the shooting will have a different take on things

Comment by Dawn – January 26, 2011 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No I’m not worried about what this will all do to Calzona, I’m worried about SLEXIE!! Remember, the other couple majorly affected by this news? Geez, I really wish people would remember that Lexie’s getting screwed once again.

Comment by Dominique – January 26, 2011 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally AGREE!

Comment by Garvey – January 26, 2011 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AMEN..STOP screwing poor sweet Lexie!! She loves Sloan SOOO much, and you know he is beside himself with his love for her…so let them be happy…for a while anyway!! Sick of Callie screwin’ everyone and it’s just ‘ok’ cuz she’s ‘BI’…pick a team already!! Let MERDER have a baby and live happily ever after…they’ve earned it!! And as for Addie coming back….she has a show…doesn’t she?? Why does Shonda feel these cross over shows are needed…doesn’t make it more interesting to me…and I don’t watch PP except for the last couple of weeks while the story was all about Charolette!! No HER I love!!! Bring her on Grey’s…now that would spice things up!!!

Comment by Phyllis – January 26, 2011 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Pretty sure Bisexuals can’t just “pick a team.” We love who we love.

Comment by katie – January 29, 2011 03:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so sick of these incestuous dramas. No where have I ever worked that everyone slept with everyone and everyone had, thought they had, or aborted everyone else’s babies, even the gay one.

Comment by Leah – January 26, 2011 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why is everyone trying to label Callie as a lesbian? She obviously isn’t. She is obviously attracted to both men and women, making her bisexual. Callie, carry the hot, curvy torch for hot, curvy bi-women everywhere! I’d be happy to have Sara Ramirez holding our bi-standard high.

Comment by Bi in MPLS – January 26, 2011 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really? Ahh, she’s a maladapted woman who sleeps with her BFF instead of actually dealing with being dumped, is supposed to be a brainy doctor and all but doesn’t bother to wear a condom with a known skank and this is the torch bearer for bisexuals?

Bisexuals need a better torch bearer.

Comment by atlashrugg – January 26, 2011 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously, I couldn’t love you more right now.

Comment by katie – January 29, 2011 03:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First off, I was upset when Derrick chose Grey over Addie. Second I was glad that she got her own show and is trying to deal with her drama there. Third, I am not a big fan of Callie having a baby by Sloan because I like Sloan and little Grey’s mix. So, what would make me happy is that Addie brought the baby back to Private practice with her, so that Callie can deal with her lesbian issue and Sloan and little Grey can finally get there stuff together.

Comment by Yvonne – January 26, 2011 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love having kate bak on greys. I miss seeing her on it. I think it will make the show more interesting.

Comment by bernadette – January 26, 2011 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I saw this coming a million miles away but I’m very exicited! This is the only good thing to come out of theis baby mess.

Comment by Richyl – January 26, 2011 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am ok withAddison being on the show.

I DON’T want Callie and Mark to have a kid!!!! I want Mark & Lexie together!!!! Without any added BS

Comment by Garvey – January 26, 2011 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why a Musical?~that’s one thing i cant stand~lol~is the whole show going to be a choir Class gone Bad?

Comment by Harry – January 26, 2011 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Forget Addison retuning to Grey’s, whats this mess about Grey’s being a musical?

Comment by lady – January 26, 2011 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • and this kate episode JUST going to be a one time again thing RIGHT? I do not want her on the show all the time

Comment by Harry – January 26, 2011 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • as long as she brings no friction with Derrick and Gray

Comment by Carrie – January 26, 2011 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m excited!!!!!! For those who haven’t seen Private Practice, Addison HAS moved on!!! She has been happily dating that other doctor! So there’s no reason as to why she will be bringing any “drama.” I love Kate Walsh <3 Addison! Yay!!!

Comment by SariB – January 26, 2011 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Miscarriage fears? Hell, it was my wish. What a crock this storyline is.

Comment by atlashrugg – January 26, 2011 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOW! I can’t believe how many of you wish for Callie to lose the baby! Seems as though many of you forgot that after the hospital crisis, Arizona said she is open to having kids (makes sense though that Callie would be the one to carry it since she is the one that wanted a child so bad). It is physically IMPOSSIBLE for Callie and Arizona to procreate between the two of them so it really is quite fitting that Mark is the daddy since he and Callie are such good “friends”…AND…he really wants a baby too. Having a child together doesn’t mean they will have to be together romantically too…just means they will co-parent. He already lives across the hall.

As for Addie coming to SGH, I LOVE IT!! Thankfully it is just for one episode though cause I love her on PP! The canvas at Grey’s is way to crowded to be able to utilize Kate Walsh on a more permanent basis. I love Grey’s so it’ll be a nice treat to have Addison back to help.

Comment by Lori – January 26, 2011 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m speechless in a way. Based on what you said I guess all F/F couples should just find a BFF with benefits to knock one of them up since they are physically incapable of having children. Why bother with IVF when you’ve got a spare penis?

As for Addie, as messed up as she can be, I still miss her on Grey’s. I hate that storyline this is the reason she has to come back though.

Comment by Trew – January 31, 2011 05:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow….Mark is really fertile.

Comment by Angela – January 26, 2011 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i dont watch private practice but i love greys… and as long as she is just coming back for callie and noone else then i guess im ok with it..

Comment by Samantha – January 26, 2011 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So I’m a huge fan of grey’s anatomy but honestly the plot is getting a little ridiculous!

Comment by Isa – January 26, 2011 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Addison can’t stay away from Seattle Grace! Every season since she has left she comes back! :) I can’t wait!!

Comment by Eleanor Cashman – January 26, 2011 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i agree that addison had her time on greys and then moved on, and is on pp, but i stilll love the crossovers ! i dont care if its predictable or not, as previously mentioned i love these episodes !
    stirs up old memories and feelings, and i loved callie & addison’s friendship!

Comment by carly – January 26, 2011 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A musical? Really? -_-

Comment by Bl – January 26, 2011 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The is the LEAST suprp9rsing, most predictable news since..well, since the announcement of Callie’s baby. And OF COURSE Callie wasn’t going to miscarry, don’t you know Ausiello? The blood running down your thigh miscarriage, along with fertility issues, Alzheimer’s possibility’s and now apparently blindness is for Meredith Grey. She’s the character who bends over and grabs her ankles every week, no any of the other characters. So if there’s another baby to be lost in the future, a humongous tragedy, or just downright pain, always look for Meredith Grey because she’s Shonda Rhimes and the GA writers favorite punching bag. In terms of yet ANOTHER crossover (yawn) We predicted this (by “we” I mean almost ALL GA fans) Now that it’s confirmed it’s another LAME predictable crossover, (since apparently no good baby doctors exist in Washington State..LoL) And now with yet another GA spoiler most already predicted, you’ve just given me the green light NOT to be interested in this crossover in the slightest.

Comment by Carrie – January 26, 2011 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep something unpredictable would be to just kill off Meredith. They should try that so us Mer fans will stop watching once and for all, right?

Comment by Abby – January 26, 2011 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yup. I couldn’t agree more. Before this story line though I wouldn’t mind the crossover. This story line sapped all the enthusiasm out of me.

Comment by Trew – January 26, 2011 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Isn’t it possible that Addison is there because Callie’s pregnancy is carrying more than one baby? Perhaps Callie will have a hard pregnancy because of multiples, not because the baby(ies) are sick. That would be an interesting plot.

Comment by Dina – January 26, 2011 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG what if addison is coming back for MEREDITH’S baby??? wouldnt that be interesting!!! wouldnt be surprised though, grey’s loves to add juicy drama like that.

Comment by alexB – January 26, 2011 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Kate Walsh. Love Addison. A Grey’s/PrP cross over may be predictable but it is no less endearing. I always look forward to those crossovers.
    And people hoping for the fetus/baby to die in Callie’s womb are just disturbing in a very gross kind of way. If you care about the character at all, you’d know how devastated Callie would be if she lost the baby. And you care about life at all, why would you even wish for that? To lay the life of an innocent baby at the altar of your own gratification for the sake of a storyline is, well, just gross…

Comment by JustHere – January 26, 2011 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You do realize you’re defending a fake made up baby.

Comment by katieo – January 26, 2011 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think ANY OF US would wish it on REAL people!!! DO you get that??? REAL PEOPLE!!! As for a story line on a FICTIONAL show….I could stand for her to NOT have a baby!! Does that REALLY make me sick…really?? See, cause I am disturbed by the fact that you think we are disturbed for trying to ‘re-write’ a fake show!! FAKE….The only one’s who should be having a baby RIGHT NOW is Derrick and Meredith…THEY have earned it!!!

Comment by Phyllis – January 26, 2011 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • seriously, a MUSICAL episode? of Grey’s anatomy? this is a medical drama folks, not Glee!

Comment by k – January 26, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you @K. I watch Grey’s to avoid the musical programming. Let’s keep it a medical drama.

Comment by Dina – January 26, 2011 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You know what a musical episode means…the show is getting old and running out of ideas. I hate that Callie is having marks baby. Him and Lexie are good together and this complicates everything…again.

Comment by katieo – January 26, 2011 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love hearing about the upcoming episodes but stop with the reruns already!

Comment by Marlaina – January 26, 2011 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this

Comment by Timiojocoker – January 26, 2011 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ohhh please no, she bugs me and greys really dont need her :(

Comment by Sam harding – January 26, 2011 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh I love Addie and she’s going to be great on Grey’s!!!

Comment by SD – January 26, 2011 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yes i need some drame on this show but i hope she dose not get Mark confused

Comment by ana – January 26, 2011 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they arent using kate walsh to try to amp up ongoing suspense with hopes of increase ratings, because she cant bring it. I never notice when she is on or not, she just blends in.
    Whatever happens callie and arizona just need to be back together, they are the funny cute couple that mesh together and it works.

Comment by alias – January 26, 2011 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well Addison DOES bring the ratings, which is why there are crossovers and why Addison got her own spinoff. She certainly never blended in!!

Comment by Lucy – January 26, 2011 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey, can’t please everyone. Just sit back and enjoy the show. Of course you won’t like every character. It is a good show. A lot of brain washing for youth to watch as far as all the sex goes, in my opinion.

Comment by hiway280z – January 26, 2011 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kate/Addison really help put the spice into the show. Once she left, it slowly seem to loose ground. As more stars left or booted, I think it lost a lot of viewers. My opinion, there using Addison to bring viewer back to the show. It won’t work.

Comment by wendy – January 26, 2011 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t have a prblem with Kate but they need to bring in a man for her and stop with the Meridith and dereck drama

Comment by Jam Jam – January 26, 2011 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • :::Sigh::: does EVERY pregnancy on this show have to be dramatic and involve Addison? So unrealistic. Most pregnancies go about without any complications whatsoever. It gets old, is all.

Comment by Heather – January 26, 2011 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a total rip-off from “Scrubs,” but I still look forward to it.

Comment by Lynsey – January 26, 2011 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe Callie will give the baby to MerDer to adopt?! Could happen, you never know.

Comment by Lexi P. – January 26, 2011 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Question.. I’m in love with the idea of Callie having a baby. Even marks. But aren’t him and lexi getting back together?? They confuse me. I’ll assume after baby news breaks they won’t me (considering she left him last time a love child was created).

Comment by Jamie – January 26, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so not for a musical episode, maybe if the show was a comedy but seriously a musical? Soo lame. I’m glad Addison will be back and I hope Callies baby will be ok.

Comment by Tiffany L. – January 26, 2011 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so damn happy for Addison’s return. Honestly she’s the best character in Grey’s and I do hope she’ll be back for good one day.

Comment by Rinat – January 26, 2011 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree totally. Addison was the best character Shonda created but the spinoff is a poor show. Addison deserves better.

Comment by Em – January 26, 2011 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s not only Callie who might be Addison’s patient….Meredith is trying to get pregnant so there might be something wrong with her if she gets pregnant in the next few episodes.

Comment by Leonie – January 26, 2011 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Addison’s jumping in out of bed with everyone that she meets is really getting silly now. Still love Grey’s but PP is getting boring. Everytime Addison looks at someone, you know she’s going to hop into bed…enough already!!!

Comment by Diane – January 26, 2011 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everyone is so concerned about Addison returning….my big question is what will this do to Mark & Lexi’s relationship. They JUST got back together! Come on Shonda Rhimes, I love them together. Don’t take them away from me!

Comment by amanda – January 26, 2011 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And by “this” I mean the baby.

Comment by Amanda – January 26, 2011 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hooray! I was hoping Addy would be brought back with the baby storyline. Also, just because the baby is brought to term doesn’t mean long term baby story line. Knowing the Grey’s writers, they’ll bring in some other baby complication- miscarriage and abortion have been done, but I can’t remember any post-birth complications for parents on the show. We can’t trust them! Lol. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Comment by Jess – January 26, 2011 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are they really struggling that much for story lines that they need to yo-yo her between shows? She’s good and all, but pick one and stick to it already!

Comment by Elena – January 26, 2011 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Callie IS NOT a lesbian. She’s bisexual. Sheesh… This pregnancy storyline is awesome. Its gonna be exciting. If Callie has a medical crisis with the baby it will hopefully bring her, Mark and Arizona closer together and realize what’s important in all their lives.

Comment by Snickleboom – January 26, 2011 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it so interesting that everyone seems to zone in on how the baby will affect Calzona’s relationship….Mark is a part of this too…what about Lexie? Mark wanting a child was the reason they broke up in the first place, and now they are back together…..how is Lexie going to handle all this?

Comment by kim – January 26, 2011 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No one is zoning in on C/A. This is all about Callie and Mark. Lexie and Arizona are just background figures, and Arizona never has a POV anyway, why would they start giving her one now?.

Comment by Trew – January 26, 2011 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post