Breaking: The Office Hires Will Ferrell

The Office is pulling out all the stops as Steve Carell’s final day at Dunder Mifflin approaches. To wit, the NBC comedy has tapped Will Ferrell to join the cast for multiple episodes.

You read that correctly: Will Ferrell is doing a multi-episode arc on The Office.

According to TVLine’s sister site, Ferrell — Carell’s castmate in the films Anchorman: The Legend Of Ron Burgundy and Bewitched — will play a branch manager from the home office who is just as inappropriate as Michael.

“We are proud to continue The Office’s tradition of discovering famous talent,” showrunner Paul Lieberstein told Deadline’s Mike Fleming, tongue planted firmly in cheek, “and we hope that once America gets a good look at Will, they’ll see what we see — tremendous raw sexuality.”

At least one of Ferrell’s episodes will likely air after Carrell’s swan song in early May to help “create a bridge” between the old and new management, per Deadline.

As previously reported, Ricky Gervais is set to reprise his role as UK Office manager David Brent at beginning of this week’s episode.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Katie says:

Do. not. like.

• Baker says:

You have no idea what he will do and you don’t like it?

• cristah says:

I dislike this as well. Regardless of what his role will be, I can’t stand Will Ferrel.

• Katie says:

Exactly! I can’t stand him at. all.

• Erinn says:

I am with you! I cannot stand Will Ferrel either. If he is the replacement, the Office and I are done. I have stuck with the Office, even this past season, but I will without a doubt stop watching if that is the case.

• OfficeProducer says:

Wait, Erinn – you’re not bluffing are you? You’re really going to stop watching us?! Even after sticking it out this past season??? (thanks so much btw, you are such a trooper!)
          But the contracts are signed, what can we do to retain your viewership Erinn. Whiney, I-keep-watching-even-though-they-suck viewers who threaten to stop watching are the core viewership of NBC. We NEED viewers like you Erinn…please, don’t go!! /Erinn’s dream

2. Paul says:

Not only do I like it. I. Love. It.

3. ck says:

I take this as an indication of how far Will Ferrell’s career has fallen than any spectacular casting coup.

• Paul says:

Will Farrell offered to be on the show to help Steve Carell’s exit. He is a big fan of the show and good friends with Steve. I think his career is doing just fine. His movies continue to rake in the dough.

4. tjj50 says:

I think Paul Lieberstein needs to join the show!

5. SD says:

I’m just relieved to see it’s only for a few episodes.

6. Furious D says:

Judging by their recent box office performances I think Ferrell & Gervais are trying to sneak in as Carrell’s permanent replacement. They could use the job security.

• Roger says:

Will Ferrel’s last two movie’s have both grossed comfortably over a hundred million each and three of his last four have gone for more than a hundred million. So I don’t think Ferrel needs an NBC sitcom for job security at all.

7. MissHappy says:

I have not been able to truly enjoy the show since the announcement of Carell’s departure. This helps. A lot. :)

8. Dan says:

Whatever happened to their insistence that they wouldn’t rely on stunt casting? Ugh.

9. Gary says:

EPIC FAIL. Office continues to disappoint especially this season. And now with Steve leaving, they need to pack their bags and end the show with some dignity.

10. Nancy says:

This is gold.

11. Adam says:

And it only took the show seven seasons to jump the shark. And that comes from a fan of Will Ferrell and The Office.

12. Nerdista says:

It’s genius! I can’t wait. I love people who are like “How the mighty have fallen!” oh my, how many hit tv shows/movies have YOU been in? Imma guess none.

13. Jon says:

… and there’s the nail in the coffin.

14. Laura says:

His humor will fit right in. I’m very excited!!

15. sTim says:

Wow… I was on the fence if I’d keep watching the show with as far as it’s fallen in the past season or two, but this seals it. I’ll stick around for Ricky Gervais, but this pretty much confirms that they have no idea what to do now that SC is leaving. I’m scared to see who the new boss will be for next season. Jack Black? Robin Williams? Someone else who used to be funny but is just painful now?

16. cecelia halpert says:

I can’t believe im admitting this, but I am so ready for Michael Scott to leave. 40 something year old guys ‘just don’t act like that and keep their jobs’. I know its only tv, but I only suspend belief for The Young& the Restless’ :) That said, I love Will and cannot wait!!

17. Brent says:

Terrible terrible news. The only character that Will Ferrell seems to play anymore is that of ‘boy man’. Of course Michael Scott is a ‘boy man’ too, but the characters that Will Ferrell plays seem to be Michael to the 10th power. Why do we need an over the top Michael when we are trying to move on from him leaving? DO NOT LIKE.

18. Clarkey09 says:

I personally think this is great news
    He’s not going onto the show to replace Steve he’s going for a short amount of time to try and help the changeover a bit and because he’s a friend of Steve’s
    And as for those thinking he’s only ever played silly man child parts, you clearly only watch the big hitters of his oeuvre. The Office, certainly in its beginnings (and in UK), was all about the understatements and the things not said and a frustration at your position in life. These were very ably portrayed with great skill by Will in Melinda And Melinda and in the vastly underrated “Stranger Than Fiction” so why don’t those blow hards are all jumping off the boat wait until the boats actually set sail before you take such a hasty route and wait to see what Will and the writers come up with on the show

19. Jenna says:

Will is awesome and so is the office. I will miss Steve, but the show couldn’t have found a better person to take his place. Hopefully they keep him. I could see him having a lot of fun with this show.

20. chris says:

you people are acting stupid will ferrell is perfect for this!!

21. mike says:

I am still crossing my fingers for a new management under Veronica Palmer. Bring in Portia de Rossi!

22. Josh says:

I quit watching the show because of Carrell. His comedic style is bizarre and uncomfortable at best. I find this to be true almost everywhere I go, if you like Ferrell you don’t like Carrell. The same is true for Carrell fans. Ferrell is far funnier and a star. Don’t watch the show, I stopped years ago.

23. Brittbot says:

I love the Office, Will Ferrell, Mindy Kaling, and you guys are being boneheads. (That’s what she said)

24. katie says:

Really can’t stand him

25. Sarah says:

I can’t wait for this to happen. So I can leave the series at the same time Steve Carell does the same.

26. Midori says:

Popular just means people have no taste.

27. Mouldypants says:

David Brent is a legend here in the uk, it will be amazing to see him back in the office

28. Rob J. says:

The Office should still end at the end of this season.

29. Rachael says:

This is THE BEST show on tv! It just keeps getting better and better! Will Ferrell is amazing and I can’t wait to see his character in action. I read that they’re going to focus on more on the other over the next few episodes, which I am also excited for. Yay Office!!!

30. ac says:

so excited! I know some may not enjoy will ferrell, but i think he’s hilarious and will be a very good fit and a funny interaction with SC. I think it’d be interesting if they incorporated another daily show cast member for a future character like they did with ed helms. steven colbert would be great! I’m glad that it seems they’ve been trying to build out the other characters on the show the past couple of season, so it should be interesting.

31. Liam Rooney says:

I just found this site because I wanted to find a place to post my extreme disappointment in this season’s The Office. This has been such a clever show for so many years. What the hell happened? I could barely stand to watch the last two episodes. I’ll give it one more shot because I have laughed out loud at just about every episode in previous seasons. This season, particularly with the thoroughly tiresome Holly and Michael interactions, has been dismal.

I’m no expert, but if it was up to me I would let Michael Scott go ASAP, disappear Holly, bring Toby back, don’t bring on Will Ferrell for God’s sake!! And get rid of the Gabe character. He was good for a few episodes but that sniveling voice grates on the nerves. Keep the core cast and give Meredith more stuff, she’s a riot. The real humor is in the understated characters and situations that reflect 21st century social situations in the American workplace. Good writing, not star power, is what keeps me engaged.

• Andy T says:

I have to agree with Liam 100%. This has become exceptionally boring and has very little humour. The scripts, and to some extent, the production has degraded over the past three seasons. For that reason, the background staff have to be held accountable for incredibly poor story lines and lack of comedy. Shame!

• Upset in NJ says:

There are many of us who couldn’t agree with you more!

32. mitch says:

I dont like this. Will Ferrell has his own brand of jokes that he uses in all his films. those jokes dont fit the show. hes a good actor but his style will ruin the show

33. Pepper says:

This is GENIUS! In fact I feel this (in a parallel universe) was written FOR Will, and Steve just happened to be available to fill in until the REAL guy was ready. I CANNOT wait. Giddy aGain.

34. Upset in NJ says:

If NBC has Will Ferrell in the Office we are done. We all (a lot of us) have found a good sitcom (the only) since Seinfeld that is worthy of watching and now it will go down the drain. Please NBC don’t do it. Will Ferrell STINKS! & IS NOT FUNNY.