Exclusive

90210 Exclusive: Lori Loughlin, Ryan Eggold Exit

90210‘s dwindling grown-up population is about to take another major hit: TVLine has learned exclusively that Lori Loughlin and Ryan Eggold will not be returning to the show next season.

A 90210 spokesperson confirms that Loughlin and Eggold’s contract options have not been picked up and their romantically-linked characters — matriarch Deb and teacher Ryan — will exit at season’s end. The rep adds that 90210‘s fourth season will find the West Bev crew transitioning to college, which means there will be less emphasis on teachers and parents.

The departures of Loughlin and Eggold, combined with last season’s exit of Rob Estes (and to a lesser extent Jennie Garth), leaves 90210 without a single full-time adult character. Translation: Party time!!!

Thoughts? Will you miss Deb and Ryan? Does it make sense for the show to put all of the emphasis on the kids? Sound off below!

1. Drea says:

I think this is a huge mistake, it was already awkward that the parents suddenly got divorced and the father is suddenly and absent jerk, now the Mom is just going to dissapear? Bad call in my opinion!

• Spence425 says:

really, it’s just like the original…once the kids head off to college, there really isn’t much interaction from the adults…jim and cindy were out, little interaction from the silvers (for a time at least).

I think i just dated myself.

• Kris says:

It doesn’t say that Debbie is going to leave town. Lori Loughlin just wont play her anymore. I’m guessing her exit will be closer to Jennie Garth’s than Rob Estes’s. Debbie will still be around off-camera and referenced to often but she wont be involved in storylines. Ryan being let go makes sense as well. He’s the high school teacher so once they all go to college there really isn’t much of a palce for him there. If I remember correctly, the original 90210 did the same thing when the gang went to college.

• alib1121 says:

Agreed. Now dad is just gone…even though he was once so involved? And “Kelly” is just no longer ever there for “Silver”? I hate when they conveniently write out all adult characters in a show…so ridiculous.

2. yiorgosk says:

makes sense,since the kids are going to college but,i’m going to miss them!

3. Alex says:

Well, they won’t be missed. When I saw the tweet about two regulars leaving I thought, “wow they fired two of the kids?” I was relieved when I saw this. It won’t really affect the show at all.

4. Tamara says:

This is sad! I’m 30 and LOVE this show. I love the kids story lines, but the adults make a wonderful addition to the plot.

5. Patrick says:

I doubt they’ll be missed. They’ve always been the first to be cut out of an episode, let’s face it 90210 is all about the kids already! If only they were taking Annie and Dixon with them!

6. John Berggren says:

I bailed on the show in Season 2 when they de-emphasized the adult characters. I’m vaguely aware of the show now by way of the Teddy storyline, but I am unfortunately now on the other side of that 18-34 divide and can’t be bothered.

7. Brandan says:

Same thing happened with Dawson’s Creek in season 5, that didn’t stop it from being Dawson’s Creek. I’m sure both will cameo if need be.

8. Stacy says:

Wow, this show is still on?

9. M says:

As long as someone takes a class from Professor Andrea Zuckerman next year, I really don’t care about the other adults.

• kimbers says:

What a brilliant idea!

• Mark says:

They actually mentioned Andrea’s kid as being at WBHH in the very first episode, I think doing the announcements or something. She was never heard from again. I was north of 34 from the start of this series (never watched the original), I liked Jennie Garth but after she and the grandmother left and Annie’s sentence for killing someone in an hit-and-run underage DWI accident was a summer of house arrest (did she even lose her license?), I just couldn’t take the stupid anymore.

10. Dominique says:

Big mistake. BIG mistake. Without a single adult on the show, this is all gonna get worse.

11. AW says:

I stopped watching not long after Jennie left. I really wanted to keep liking the show, but without any connection to the original I just found myself fast forwarding through most of it and didn’t care anymore. Their big mistake was to cut all those ties, because people like me who were fans of the old show would have kept watching even if they just kept 1 or 2 old cast members around. With 0, and now 0 adults, I really have no reason to try to pick it up again. Sad.

12. Stacie says:

This happened on the original 90210 and it makes sense it happens here. The show tried for a couple years to keep the parents on the show once the kids went to college but it was almost instantaneous that once they went to college the parents roles were diminished. Rob Estes knew this was coming and jumped shipped before he was forced out. Loughlin hung on for a little while, but couldn’t really be relavent any longer.

I never thought that Eggold should have been a regular. Until he hooked up with Naomi’s sister he had no real relevancy, the move to hook up with Lori Louglin, but it’s kind of a desperate move at that point to hook them up. BH 90210 had teachers on the show but didn’t have them as regulars, so it was only time that they got rid of Eggold’s character, especially since they aren’t going to be at high school anymore.

13. Jon says:

There are too many characters as it is. Getting rid of the adults is no biggie. Can they get rid of a few “kids” too.

14. Jenny says:

hahaha! who didn’t see this one coming?? after Rob Estes and Jenny Garth it was just a matter of time for them to leave as well…

15. George says:

The thing I find most surprising about this story is they’re already planning season 4. I like this show and hope it gets picked up for another season, but I hadn’t heard anything official yet.

16. Summer says:

I’ve been waiting for this to happen for awhile. Ryan’s role has greatly been diminished since season one, and Debbie as a single parent is just…ehn. 90210 isn’t as well-written as the OC, where they were able to seamlessly add adult characters into the ensemble, and even there, by the end of the last season, the adults’ roles were diminished a little bit.

Frankly, I was really pulling (at the end of the first season) for Brenda, Kelly, and Donna to get their own Melrose Place/Sex and the City type spin-off, but it never happened. Would have been a great show, though.

On that note, does Annie’s cousin Emily remind anyone of Jennie Garth?

• Julie W says:

Yes, I totally think Emily looks like Jennie Garth! I even looked up the name of the actress to see if there could be some connection.

17. mizzi says:

I don’t care, they can’t take Navid and Teddy with them?

18. Christy says:

It happened in the original show too, so I figured it was going to happen here too. Sad to see them go though. One of the things I loved about The OC, One Tree Hill, etc is that the older characters had as much character development as the teens.

• Trista says:

Totally with you on this one!!!!

• kristine80 says:

Yes, the OC did a great job of creating interesting adult characters that mixed well with the kids. I have really enjoyed the adults in gossip girl as well and considering that show is also from Josh Schwartz I am not suprised that the writers have been able to seamlessly integrate the adult and “kid” storylines even though the “kids” are in college.

As for 90210, in the 2nd season it was clear that the adults were having a diminished role so I in this scenario, the adults probably won’t be missed.

• lorna says:

agreed. oth sucks without the adults.

19. Sarah says:

I have no issue with this. This show has finally found it’s footing by focusing on the kids and not all the ex-90210 people. I’ve given this show each fall and this is the only year that I’m still watching after 2 episodes.

And, I’ll be honest, I’ve always hated Kelly so that was alot of the reason I couldn’t stand watching it when she was on there.

20. Trista says:

I watched the first season and enjoyed the subplots with both Brenda, Donna and Kelly. I am not surprised that the adult characters are gone. Shows like this are constantly making the parents out to be useless to their children. What really worked in the first show was the steady and loving parents that helped keep the kids from Minnesota grounded while living in Beverly Hills and even with all the excess going on around them. Oh well though – it’s not like this show is going to win any emmys for its spot on portrayal of teenage life.

21. m says:

The hotness that is ryan eggold was the reason I watched the show. Goodbye 90210

22. Jamie says:

I hope Lori will still recur.

No reason for Ryan to be on the show.

Can we take from this, 90210 is renewed?

23. dan says:

Ryan Eggold wasn’t even given decent storylines throughout the entire show. the second he got an interesting storyline, it was either forgotten or approached in a bad way.
    a) him being drunk and hitting the high school sign
    b) him helping naomi with the cannon stuff
    c) him and deb
    d) jen leaving him

the whole jen leaving him with jack was an amazing storyline to use on him, but it was completely forgotten in order to make ryan hookup with deb and then leave them forgotten YET AGAIN.

between this whole thing, and adrianna’s changing personality and now the gossip girl syndrome (everyone’s hooking up with everyone) i’m really dissapointed in this show. :(

• Summer says:

To be fair, the everyone hooking up with everyone thing is more a Melrose Place syndrome than a Gossip Girl syndrome. The original show is where all of that started happening first.

• Courtnay says:

So glad someone other than me is being driven crazy by Ade’s changing personality this season. Yes, she’s always had addiction issues and the personality traits that go with this… but Ade we’re currently seeing is NOT the Ade that had become my favourite character by the end of the first season. Throw in the fact that Sil getting with Navid while he’s still with Ade and insisting things aren’t working and that he wants to break up has way too many shades of Brenda/Dylan/Kelly for my liking (made worse by the fact that Silver is Kelly’s sister). Do we really have to go there again? Just when I thought the show had really hit it’s stride and had come into it’s own as a separate show from the original.

Ironically I was just thinking the other day that most of the kids didn’t have parents around anymore… Naomi’s are gone and so is Jen (good riddance, really…), Kelly’s gone which begs the question of where Silver’s living… and well, Ivy has Laurel but I wouldn’t count Laurel as a parent in any meaningful way.

• Summer says:

Kelly’s still around – she’s been mentioned as being off-camera – so Silver’s still living with her. We just don’t see her on screen anymore.

24. Allison P says:

If the kids are going off to college, then it makes sense. But I’ve always liked Lori and Ryan and hope they get a better sendoff than Rob did.

25. Mike says:

Thank God I stopped watching this show before the end of last season. What a disaster.

26. JC says:

To be honest I think it makes little difference at this point. The adults have been irrelavant since the end of last season and we hardly see them anyway and as pointed out, the guys are off to college, so I suspect the “kids” won’t be living at home anyway. Personally I’m really enjoying this season with the exception of Adriana’s silly storyline, which thankfully looks like its about ended.

27. Macy says:

Who cares i just want annie and liam!!

28. Brock says:

It’s a fair decision. They barely use either anyway.

The Walshes departed the original during the College Years… and, really, there will be no need for Ryan’s character once the kids leave school than to follow Lori’s around.

I enjoy Rob & Lori’s work, but it’s a teen show. I do, however, miss Jennie terribly, since she’s also Silver’s sister it worked.

Oh well. Long as we get strong storylines I don’t mind!

29. PGP says:

I don’t watch the show anymore, but honestly I wouldn’t now anyway…the loss of Jenie Garth is the loss of connection to the original series. They should find a way to bring back Jenie Garth as Kelly Taylor. Perhaps she is a college counselor now or professor?

30. Jp says:

Fair enough, but I’m really missing the connection to the original show. I enjoy it now as is, but I would be in heaven if Brenda Walsh came back on a reoccurring basis. Can’t she be a college acting teacher for Annie and Adrianna???

31. antonakis christodoulou says:

That means there is going to be a fourth season?

32. Topher says:

It is sad because I was REALLY hoping they would pull a 5 years later One Tree Hill. High School to college shows just don’t work that well. 90210 the original being a rare exception. It is just so expected that the adults would be gone. I was hoping to that they could be more like sister show Gossip Girl and give me a reason for them to be in. Especially since Daddy Dearest split and probably won’t even make it to graduation.

33. To Topher says:

One Tree Hill was able to do it because the first 4 seasons took place over a two year period meaning that they could jump ahead four years and be more towards our present time. Then they could do another year for the same reason which also helped justify Jamie aging so fast. Did you really believe that there was a realistic hope of 90210 pretending that it was 2016 and they were out of college? Shows like DH can cut ahead because they never emphasised certain things like high school shows do.

34. Moonwalker says:

What a huge mistake! Parental figures don´t suddenly dissappear in college! Why do all shows make the same mistake? It happened with the original 90210 when the Walshes left Beverly Hills, and it happened in One Tree Hill too. When are producers and writers going to learn that the audience is as invested in the adult storylines as they are with the younger kids?

35. lorna says:

this show is stupid. the new melrose was sooo much better.

36. Mj says:

If u didn’t see that coming u didn’t watch the show have them on for all of two seconds every few eps. But really how weird was it that Ryan was a teacher but in real life as old as a bunch of the “kids” on the show

37. Aimee says:

I’m gutted these two will be leaving, I love the chemistry between them!

38. Emma says:

Meh, don’t care. The only reason I still watch, and that is intermittently, is because of the epic friendship between Naomi and Silver. They’re my favourites and the only good thing about the show, given that the total FAIL that is Annie/Liam has been shoved down our throats. I can’t stand them (Annie makes me want to scratch out my eyeballs) and I can’t stand that Teddy/Silver split either, though Navid/Silver is actually really cute.

39. mimi says:

this show honestly gets better and better. people who were tuning in out of nostalgia and to watch the old characters (brenda, kelly, donna etc) kinda miss the point.

there is really no reason to keep aunt becky once the kids are in college. i think they should keep ryan around to hook up with jenn (they MUST bring her back!) and laurel is also pretty awesome character.

40. mooshki says:

Why couldn’t it have been Shenae? WHY?!!!

41. AlistairCrane says:

I stopped watching this garbage when they phased out Brenda and Kelly. I don’t like the new characters–I was only in it for the nostalgia factor and to see familiar faces. They should do a “20 year high school reunion” tv movie or special with the original cast in 2014 (or speed up the timeline and do it sooner!).

42. Julie W says:

I was so sad when Jim & Cindy left the original show, but that’s because we were so invsted in their characters by that point. The adults on the new show haven’t been featured as much, and therefore, won’t be missed.

43. Stephanie says:

This is a mistake. These kids live in a world that if far from the average 18 years old…homeless, extra rich, living in hotels – like all this is normal. At least adults on the show were keeping things a little bit more real. oh well, ill find something else to watch.

44. jasmine says:

i think even at college you could still involve adults as the teachers we would just have to get used to the new characters and its all about the kids anyway just because 30 year olds dont like the change it dose not mean you have to quite the show because of it !!!

45. AD says:

What happened to Annie selling eggs….to that couple….that plot suddenly vanished or did I miss something…any clue????

46. Julia says:

wow the show is gunna be bad now 90210 was the thing I looked up too its bad enough Harry isnt it in but now Deb is gone :( Geesh!

47. cristina says:

i think it is really dumb that they are getting rid of all the adults. i think that the adults also made the show. i liked the first season how there would be scenes with annie, dixon and there parents, and i think it was weird how they just had there mom in season 3 and not the dad. i also think that mr. matthews and ms. taylor where good on the show. they are making all these big changes, that we will just have to see how season 4 turns out

48. Kelly says:

At least we are spared watching parents act dumb and the kids making the more mature decisions. No wonder parents have lost respect of their children, on television PARENTS are portrayed as silly, clueless, and whiny —WHEN YOU GET DOWN TO IT, It’s embarrassing to watch television with your child when respect between child and adult is virtually non-existent on the tube AND on Youtube…..