Exclusive

Exclusive: Will Wonder Woman Lasso McG?

Charlie Angels helmer McG is being called upon to help revive another female superhero franchise.

Sources confirm to me exclusively that McG has emerged as the odds-on favorite to direct the pilot for NBC’s much-hyped Wonder Woman remake.

The news comes four days after the Peacock gave the David E. Kelley-produced reboot an 11th hour green light.

On the surface, McG is an obvious choice to shepherd Wonder Woman. In addition to his ties to the Charlie’s Angels movies and ABC’s in-the-works remake, the multi-hyphenate has deep roots in the TV biz. He currently serves as an executive producer on Nikita, Human Target, Supernatural and Chuck. (He also directed the Chuck pilot back in 2007.) It also helps that McG’s production company is based at Warner Bros.

Thoughts? Is McG the right man for the job? And if not him, who? Hit the comments!

1. James says:

I smell EPIC FAIL.

2. irg19 says:

I loved the first Charlie’s Angels movie and the Chuck pilot so I hope it will be good.

3. Random_Tangent says:

A sexist marginally-talented hack EPing Wonder Woman? At least the damage of the two episodes that make it to air won’t be lasting.

4. Christy says:

Executive producer and Director are two very different things. One lends his name to get the show going/promotion, and the other makes the magic happen on screen. In McG’s case: card tricks from a cracker jack box.
    EPIC fail.

It’s bad enough she’s going to be a “corporate executive” from David E. Kelly’s quirky mind, and that it’s at NBC.
    I give you seasons 2-4 of Heroes, Bionic Woman, The Cape, and most everything outside a comedy on NBC has failed miserably.

5. Mr.Bates says:

OK. That’s seriously weird. I have no idea why it says that comment above was from “Christy” and has a weird email addy attached to it.
    Whoever you are, Christy, I didn’t mean to sign in as you.

6. Summer says:

I loved what he did with Charlie’s Angels, but, much like David E. Kelley, I don’t think that McG has what it takes to properly do a Wonder Woman project.

This is going to fail miserably, and Wonder Woman fans are going to end up without ever getting an awesome movie or animated series starring her.

7. Steven says:

McG has a long and distinguished record for involving himself in television series that on the surface seem destined to fail, yet somehow seem to find an audience despite the odds. If “Wonder Woman” is to have any sort of a shot at surviving next season, it could do worse than to have someone with the energy, vision, and track record McG brings to the table. Let’s face it: “Wonder Woman” will never be a breakout hit (think ratings in the low 2’s at best) but if McG is willing to take on the job, then we should cheer him on, and remember, the alternative is to have no show at all. Good luck McG!

8. Kelly says:

Female protagonist + action? Sure, give the man a shot. It’s a pilot and execs will know quickly if it’ll work or not. The key here isn’t the director – it’s the writer + the casting. If either fails, no matter who directs it, it’ll end up in the crapper with the rest of NBC’s “lineup”. NBC needs to move on from the super hero genre + the gimmick fluff and get back to some good, solid drama. Anyone else remember those days???

9. Diana Earle says:

They may want to focus on casting Wonder Woman and getting rid of David E. Kelly before they go any further.

• Doug says:

Unfortunately I agree with you. I like Kelly, but he just seems wrong for this and all the comments he has made so far make him seem like a really bad choice.
      McG could do a good job, I know the man has his detractors, but he does godd fun action. He has a hand in Supernatural, Chuck, Human Target, and the Charlie’s Angels reboot; those may not be high art, but they are a lot of fun.

10. Jack says:

Remember, NBC’s new primetime chief is Bob Greenblatt, who’s responsible for the X Files, All McBeal at Fox, and Dexter, Weeds and Californication at Showtime. He responds to smart material

11. Ben Phelps says:

Interesting… if nothing else, this would make me watch the pilot.

12. Liz says:

there could be worse directors than mcg for the pilot. i just really want the smallville producers to have some creative input. they’ve done such a good job with clark kent on smallville.

• Snowman says:

Really? You think the did a good job with Smallville? Clark as a brainless dupe, Lana as a two-faced bitch, Lex as a better person than ANY of the Kents, Lois thinking journalism is for losers, not just 1 but 2 Senator Kents…and that’s just the start of the character problems. I could go on about weak scripts/storylines, particularly bad acting and a theme song that akes the ears bleed, but remembering Smallville has made me too depressed.

13. Mike M says:

I still hope Christina Hendricks gets the gig..if you want an amazon, might as well get it right….

14. Rick Brawley says:

I don’t want this to be a campy show!!! It needes to be real!!!! Remeber that McG

15. skyfan says:

What the frak? I hope DEK has final pick on director! McG has ruined more movies than he’s made hits. Oh, well, I guess I have to wait for the inevitable reboot.

16. Grant says:

NO NO NO NO NO.
    F**cking McG. I wish he’d find another profession.

17. pbr says:

It is a pleasure to read Michael Ausiello again, I lost track since the change over from the old site, ew.

18. godzilla_foil says:

Let’s be very honest here, people: Wonder Woman would HARDLY render good stories. Especially on a low (TV) budget. Considering that McG is the King of Shallow, I’ll go ahead and say he’s just the worst possible director/producer for the job.

This comes from a comics fan who actually likes DC a lot, and also Wonder Woman (when it comes to comics).

What this show needs is focus on something else — and, by the way, there’s Wonder Woman and her powers there. Make it semi-long arcs, or espionage involving old Greek stuff, I don’t know. Just don’t count on the “Wonder Woman saving the day”-like stories, or this will flop just like many other superpowers-related shows did (and The Cape and No Ordinary Family will soon).

19. godzilla_foil says:

BTW, I saw people pointing at I girl I didn’t know for the job, Bridget Regan. Nice choice, I guess.

Christina Hendricks would be something like… every man’s dream and sure-fire high ratings at the same time. Unfortunately, she’s 35 and (forgive me for that) “too old” (and too white) for it.

Even so, isn’t she ALREADY WW in this? http://www.celebrity-pictures.ca/Celebrities/Christina-Hendricks/Christina-Hendricks-1109557.jpg

20. Dan says:

Wasn’t McG also involved in destroying Terminator for me with that ridiculous Salvation movie? Terminators on two wheels? Really? lol

21. jj says:

I almost threw up when I heard NBC got the go ahead for Wonder Women and shelfed Odd Jobs. I think the excuse of the script for Odd Jobs not being ready for next season is bogus. Just because WW has David Kelley’s name on it? Kelley still has clout?

22. John Berggren says:

MC-G isn’t a favorite – but David E Kelly is. He’s certainly earned my faith, and I’ll be on board if this project goes to schedule. It’s been too long since Wonder Woman appeared in any fashion. I just hope this doesn’t prohibit a film.

23. John Trauscht says:

We’ll never forget the mess he made out of the Terminator franchise.

24. mooshki says:

Give us the real scoop – is the role still going to Nadia Bjorlin? She’s got the look, and I want ChloMe off of Days of Our Lives.

25. eviltwit says:

Coudln’t this get a female director? I just despair that WW is going to be turned into some anorexic, scantily-clad imbecile who looks good, but is obviously brainless. Frankly, I’d like to see Kathryn Bigelow direct, but i guess we’ll have to settle for David Kelly now. Please don’t turn it into Wonder Ally. I don’t think I could stand that.

p.s. Also, for the casting of WW, I like this UK actress, Sophie Winkleman – perfect stature, can act, great voice, and stunning.

26. Stephen S. says:

McG is a much better than people give him credit for. Supernatural is hands down one of the best shows on television. And I love Human Target as well. Plus, as far as his movies, I personally loved Terminator Salvation and We Are Marshall and both Charlie’s Angels flicks. So yeah, he is underrated.

27. John Bryans Fontaine says:

The Only thing that matters is whether Bridget Regan will get the title role.