TVLine Items: Grey's Alum Is New Starz Star, and Other TV News to Know

He’ll always be Denny Duquette to us, but Grey’s Anatomy‘s Jeffrey Dean Morgan is thisclose to landing a deal with Starz that will send the stud back in time…

Per Deadline, Morgan is in final negotiations to star in the network’s upcoming 1960s drama series, Magic City. If all goes as planned, the onetime-Supernatural patriarch will play a suave Miami hotel owner who opens up his new digs just as Fidel Castro takes over Cuba.

Love it? Here’s some more news to get you through the day:

• DirecTV has passed on The Kennedys as well, reports the L.A. Times, making that a big fat no from the satellite lifesaver, FX, Showtime, Starz and The History Channel.

• Fitness guru Jack LaLanne died Sunday afternoon in his California home. He was 96. The Jack LaLanne Show, LaLanne’s claim to fame which ran for nearly three decades, made the nutrition nut a beloved household name.

• As she waits for word on the long-term fate of NBC’s Harry’s Law, Brittany Snow will stop by CBS’ upcoming rom-com Mad Love to play Sarah Chalke’s younger sister, says TV Guide. Perfect casting, no?

• Nathan Lane is returning to Modern Family as Cam and Mitch’s flamboyant pal, per TV Guide Magazine. Only this time, Jay will get to interact with Lane’s Pepper Saltzman and hilarity will ensue.

EW.com reports that following his abrupt MSNBC departure, Keith Olbermann may soon team up with The Social Network scribe (and recent Golden Globe winner) Aaron Sorkin to help write an already-in-the-works cable news show pilot.

• As MTV’s Skins keeps baring its, um, skin, the network continues to lose advertisers. Per TMZ, tax group H&R Block has joined Taco Bell, General Motors and Wrigley in pulling its ads during the racy teen series.

Excited for (potentially) more Jeffrey Dean Morgan? Sound off in the comments!

1. Heather says:

I love me some Jeffrey Dean, but does this mean he definitely won’t be returning to Supernatural?? Hopefully he has room in his schedule for both. Glad he is headlining a show though!

2. Jen says:

I love JDM, but I’m amazingly glad that we won’t be seeing him on Grey’s again. Preemptive congrats on your new show, Jeffrey!

3. sw1022 says:

More like, he’ll always be John Winchester, to me LOL Yes, I loved Denny, but I can’t see him without thinking of Papa Winchester on Supernatural.

I guess this means he definitely won’t ever be back for a guest spot :(

Disappointing.

• Vanny says:

I agree, I know him more as John Winchester. That was when I first noticed him. Glad that he is doing so well, but wouldn’t mind a few eps of him back on Supernatural. Hey, if they can bring everyone else back from the dead, why can’t they bring him..

4. Lisa says:

I love, love, love Jeffrey Dean Morgan! Unfortunately, I had to cut Starz to save money :(

5. Tricia says:

LOVE him, REALLY excited for him, but, like all Supernatural fans, I will be really disappointed if he doesn’t appear on my favorite show again sometime.

6. Kali says:

YAY!! as much as I’d like to have JDM back in SPN having him in a weekly basis on my TV is even better!!

I even watch something about Cuba!

7. John Ray says:

Great Post and nice article.

– John

8. PV says:

I don’t watch Supernatural, but JDM seduced me in P.S. I Love You. And Revolutionary Cuba is one of my favourite periods in history. Add into the fact that its Starz, a network who with Spartacus, and soon to come Camelot has proven they can do gritty historical drama. That network has earned my viewership.

The only way this idea could get any better is if Javier Bardem would be playing his lover. Oh my – I’d never stop watching that show.

9. Patty says:

I just LOVE Jeffrey Dean Morgan and am very happy to know that I’ll get to see him every week :D
    Gotta subscribe to Starz now, lol

10. Sara says:

Starz shows stream on Netflix play it now, so you should be able to watch it there.