Scoop! Queer As Folk Heartthrob Stirs Up Trouble for Mike & Molly

This is a casting scoop about a baker, so prepare for heaping servings of delicious wordplay.

Robert Gant has landed a role on CBS’s hit freshman comedy, Mike & Molly, TVLine has learned. An alum of such shows as Queer As Folk (where he played Professor Ben Bruckner) and Popular, he will guest-star as Kyle, a bakery boss who is very sweet on Molly.

Mike gets wind of Molly’s never-divulged relationship with Kyle when he happens into a conversation with the handsome gent during a visit to Molly’s (hmmmm) “favorite bakery.”

But there’s more to Molly’s past with Kyle then I’m letting on. That reveal, which triggers all kinds of anxiety in Mike, is just icing on the cake — as is another bombshell about why the onetime lovebirds ultimately put a fork in their romance.

Gant appears in this season’s 16th episode. Mike & Molly airs Mondays at 9:30/8:30c.

Comments (17)

• What a bunch of fatties. This show sucks, I hope it gets canceled.

Comment by Troy – January 24, 2011 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There just is no reason to be like this. Next time you want to be insensitve, whatever the subject matter, just remember, ______________ are people too.

Comment by John Berggren – January 24, 2011 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope you get canceled.

Comment by Joe B. – January 24, 2011 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously? You take the time to read this article, AND comment on it, because it “sucks” and stars “a bunch of fatties”?! Wow, sorry your life is so empty…

Comment by Randy – January 24, 2011 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope things get better at this show, cause it’s nice, but not really good. Maybe this can spice things a little bit, maybe…

Comment by Amanda – January 24, 2011 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you, I like the show but it’s not awesome. Maybe this will help get it a little bit more interesting?

Comment by Agnès – January 24, 2011 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • best new show of the year sounds like it’s getting even better!

Comment by xwiseguyx – January 24, 2011 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • looooool
      to each his own I guess

Comment by t.t – January 24, 2011 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not my favorite show by far, but certainly good. I love to see Robert Gant in anything, so I’ll be very excited by his presence. Someone needs to get him a new Showtime series STAT.

Comment by John Berggren – January 24, 2011 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I do watch this, but it’s really not as funny as I hoped. I wonder if they broke up because the baker is a “feeder.” HA!

Comment by Amanda – January 24, 2011 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is consistently funny. I love the leads but even all of the supporting cast are very funny in their roles. I look forward to Robert Gant’s role on this show. I sincerely hope it is renewed for a second season as I will be mighty ticked if it is not…

Comment by Sal F – January 24, 2011 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually I don’t like the supporting characters on the show, and find them annoying and unfunny!!! If they got rid of the supporting players, then the show would be watchable for me!

Comment by Chris – January 24, 2011 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Robert Gant is gay in real life…could that be the reason the characters broke up on the show???

Comment by Randy – January 24, 2011 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • really?! you had to write the news for this show with a bunch of food words?! Seriously? A show with fatties, must use badly placed food terms instead of actual descriptive words.

Fat people are more than a joke and not all fat people are fat because they have eating disorders. Mike & Molly has definitely made some advances since its pilot, attempting to paint these people as actual human beings. And in a cultural environment where fat people are told DAILY that they are not worthy humans, its a bit of a big deal.

But then you have to go an essentialize a whole group of people with food words. Ug. You wouldn’t write a news article about The Game and use a bunch of colour terms in place of actual words.

A little sensitivity would be nice in the future.

Comment by maz – January 25, 2011 03:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The wordplay was with regard to the casting of a BAKER, as declared in the very first sentence. Perhaps you missed it.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – January 25, 2011 06:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gant a “heartthrob?” Surely you gest, Michael. Have you gone blind?

Comment by Jason – January 25, 2011 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show! Thank You for the info.

Comment by EveDallas – January 25, 2011 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post