Oprah Winfrey's Family Secret Comes Out!

If you can’t wait until today’s telecast of The Oprah Winfrey Show to get the dish on the TV icon’s much-buzzed-about family secret — which she hinted at in promos that began airing last Thursday — then click through past the jump!

Turns out Oprah has a long-lost, younger half-sister named Patricia, who was given up as an infant by Oprah’s mother, according to a plethora of internet reports. Patricia, who grew up in foster care until she was adopted at age 7 and now lives in Milwaukee, WI, discovered she was related to Oprah after years spent trying to track down her biological family tree. The influential talk-show host was reportedly nine years old and living with her father when her mother gave birth to Patricia in 1963, and was never even aware of the pregnancy; the siblings reunited around Thanksgiving of last year.

In the promo for today’s telecast, Oprah refers to her secret as “the miracle of all miracles.”

Are you surprised by Oprah’s news, or is this pretty close to what you expected she’d reveal? Will you tune in to her show to get all the details? Sound off below!

1. Rush says:

This was rumored for quite awhile.

2. Oprah the Dope-rah says:

I don’t think I could care any less than I already do about this bullcrap… If I had a long lost half sister, nobody would care as much as they do this current Oprah situation. It’s only because she’s famous that there is such a deep focus on all this BS. Give me a break people… there are more important things in the world to be caring about other than a family member that’s only half related to a celebrity… What a joke.

• kt says:

And yet you comment. I’m sure for somebody who realizes they have a long-lost family member,it is very important. Maybe even life-changing. And while yes, there may be more focus on this situation because it is Oprah, it’s her show. Let her do what she wants, and let her share what she wants to share with her viewers. And if you don’t like it, don’t watch. Simple enough I’d say…

• Abe Froman says:

Do you think people find a long-lost half sister every day? Especially someone as famous as Oprah? Of course it’s going to make news.

• Aiden says:

Can you be a little sensitive and go over the reasons first as to why Oprah decided to share it? She’s a famous personality, as you said. And that entails a lot of intrusion into a person’s private life. Now, she might be Oprah, but she’s also a human being who didn’t want a miracle in her family be butchered by bad and manipulative press. Their family wants this blessing to be shared because it’s inevitable that word gets out, but they wanted it handled on their own terms because it’s something that means a lot. That’s very understandable. It’s obviously not to get attention, you cynic. It’s the nature of fame and celebrity.

3. Shari says:

I think this is wonderful! My son and his girlfriend gave up my grandchild for adoption before any of our family could offer to take her. I hope someday she comes looking for us. She is not forgotten and most certainly not unloved. They just felt that they couldn’t take care of her and didn’t want his girlfriend’s family to know about the pregnancy. She is a part of me. Good luck to Oprah and her sister. I am glad they found each other.

• shay says:

you should go to troy dunn’s website for finding fmaily (the Locater) and post any information you know about her. He reunites people who have been looking for each other sometimes for 25 years or more. good luck!

4. Alex says:

Is she pregnant with Gayle’s baby?

5. Rush says:

I wonder if it’s coincidence that Slezak uses the words “Comes Out!” in the article title. If you were scanning the headlines at tvline.com you might get a different idea of what this article is about.

6. Rush says:

Or if you Google the words “Oprah comes out” you might hit on this article. Nice Google bomb!

7. Amanda says:

Pretty much exactly what I figured. I think if it has been a bigger secret, someone from the taping would have leaked it before.

8. Marvin says:

For such an influential person like Oprah to have something like this kept from her is indeed a big news.

9. Kim R says:

I’m confused. I thought she moved in with her father when she was 14 and secretly pregnant. I didn’ think she lived with him when she was nine. I thought that was around the time of her abuse. ??

10. Larc says:

Meh! Just as I thought, turns out the hoopla about the secret has been a bigger deal than the secret.

11. nielej says:

And you get a half-sister! And you get a half-sister! Also, will Patricia get her own OWN show?

12. lunaburning says:

Really? “The miracle of all miracles”? Guess that sounds better than:”A mildly interresting fact about some random celebrity”.

13. Susan says:

I bet this turns out to be false. Her Majesty, Queen Oprah, will do anything for ratings. She is so full of herself. When will people finally realize she’s a nobody with nothing genuine to say? She is in love with herself and her phony image.