NFL Game Helps Five-0 Tackle Ratings Highs

Get More: News, Ratings

When it comes to this Sunday night’s ratings, there was CBS… and everyone else.

The Eye’s coverage of the AFC Championship game between the Pittsburgh Steelers and New York Jets averaged 48.4 million total viewers from 7 to 10 pm, and a mighty 17.3 rating in the 18-to-49 demo.

Also, the sometimes nailbiting match-up’s overnight household rating (31.3) represented a 24-year high for an AFC Championship game.

Leading out of the pigskin playoff, a special Sunday showing of Hawaii Five-0 netted the freshman drama all-time highs in total viewers (17.7 million) and the demo.

What else is there to say? Well, NBC’s airing of the first Sex and the City movie averaged 3.22 million viewers, experiencing a small surge at 10 ‘clock, once footballphobes seized control of the remote.

What were you watching on Sunday night?

Comments (17)

• Unfortunately since the post game went a little long my dvr didn’t record all of it, so I missed the ending:(

Comment by Judy – January 24, 2011 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • When I saw the game was going to run late I extended the recording for H5O by a half hour to make sure I got all of it.

Comment by Michelle – January 24, 2011 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I set my dvr to record H5-0 and the news after so I would get it all.

Comment by Amanda – January 24, 2011 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A DVR playback of Top Chef. Was recording 5-0 at the time; I’ll watch it later. Don’t watch much real-time TV anymore, unless I have to.

Comment by skyfan – January 24, 2011 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CBS was brilliant here. Hawaii 5-0 is one of the most DVR’d shows on TV. CBS wanted to know if people would watch it in real time on any night to see if the show had built a real audience or if people just DVR’d it to DVR it. In this situation they chose to put it after a sporting event because you would have to watch it because the DVR would be jacked because all sporting events screw them up.

Comment by Kevin – January 24, 2011 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s exactly why I chose to watch it in real time.

Comment by Sue – January 24, 2011 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I set my DVR for 2 hours just to be sure

Comment by Beans – January 24, 2011 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was watching the fabulous Downton Abbey. Hawaii 5-0 is on my DVR for tonight.

Comment by Sharon – January 24, 2011 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MY DVR didn’t record the ending either. Anyone care to update? Please!!!!

Comment by Elizabeth – January 24, 2011 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy ending… but big mystery remains. Tune in next week, Elizabeth. ;)
    We watched 5-0 live for the first time ever last night. Which must make us big fans, because we don’t do commercials in this house.

Comment by Woody – January 24, 2011 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you (vague) Woody! ;)

Comment by Elizabeth – January 24, 2011 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For some reason my DVR didn’t recognize it as a new episode. It said repeat and then I read the synopsis and knew it was a new episode. ARGH! Luckily it’s on On Demand

Comment by Mike – January 24, 2011 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched Hawaii Five-0. I never miss a new episode of the show.
    I love Alex O!

Comment by Ellied – January 24, 2011 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • well we could give a spoiler alert hint if you missed the ending H5-0 it’s about the ten mil they well borrowed but could not return. And as said just keep on watching ;-)

Comment by onno – January 24, 2011 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sure it didn’t hurt the ratings of H-50 to open the show with Grace Park on the beach.. plus it was a good episode though the plot line was similar to an original H-50 episode about a fake storm covering up a plot by WO-FAT…. What I do like about the new show is the upscale action and some continuing storyline.. a good mix of procedure and back story..

Comment by Doug-H – January 25, 2011 07:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • dude she is ordinary. I’d rather someone else for the female of the show I’m loving mcgarrets gf though more of her please

Comment by cb – January 25, 2011 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • More importantly than Grace Park on the beach, we got to see Scott Caan without his shirt on.

Comment by Lori – January 27, 2011 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post