Exclusive

Exclusive: The Closer to Live On?

Someone check the temperature in hell because I think it’s about to freeze over. Why? I’m answering one of my blind items!

The hit drama series whose final season was recently announced — but which may not be ending after all — is… The Closer!

Nearly two months after TNT announced that the show’s upcoming seventh season would be its last, sources confirm that the network is now looking at ways to keep the lucrative franchise going — perhaps without leading lady Kyra Sedgwick (whose desire to leave at the end of Season 7 prompted TNT to pull the plug in the first place).

One option being bandied about has TNT merely extending the final season from 15 to 21 episodes. Another scenario involves the net continuing the series with a new lead (Mary McDonnell’s Capt. Sharon Raydor, perhaps?) or launching a spinoff.

It’s not hard to understand why TNT would want to keep its signature series going. The Closer remains the most-watched basic cable series of all time, and this summer it helped TNT launch the promising rookie procedural Rizzoli & Isles.

A TNT spokesperson had no comment.

Thoughts? Is The Closer worth saving? Which blind item should I reveal next? Sound off below!

1. Jenny says:

Not surprising, really. I just don’t know if I see this show without Kyra Sedgwick, though. A spinoff, I could probably get behind. But…

• Keeply agree. Kyra is the anchor for this show. Brenda Lee Johnson’s skill and character are what make us tune in each week. I don’t think surveys are going to rate Mary McDonnell high on this show and frankly none of the other characters are that interesting. It’s Brenda Lee’s approach to each case. Now, some of the cases are interesting along with the weekly twists, but if Kyra isn’t persuaded to stay another year, TNT will likely find itself funding a soon to be canceled program.

• Bronique Carter says:

The Closer is the best show ever. I watch it over and over. I don’t think it would be the same success without Kyra. I love the way the whole team came together as aunit. All the characters fit so well together. I love”””””””” the Closer,and would hate to see it go.

• Grace Springthorpe says:

I love this show, I love the characters and it has such smart serious stories aligned with a great cast that are so well positioned in their characters that you can’t help but bond with them as a viewer. I hope that a spin off will be successful but I have to say I’m heartbroken that the show is ending.

• paulette says:

I think Capt Raydor will bring a different afpect to the show and would watch.

• Anita says:

Love to see a spin off. Kyra is a wonderful actress, and beautiful too, defying her years (or just looking great for her age!) and I think the show could continue if it had a replacement burning hot film/tv crossover actress such as Jennifer Aniston. Brigit Fonda? Surely one of these ladies would love a prime gig like this one? Hey TNT – where’s the dynamite? I’m a fan from downunder – come to think of it… Naomi Watts?

• mk alexander says:

I agree that another actress of similar build could slip into Brenda Leigh’s role. This was successfully accomplished years ago on Bewitched. Byra is not “the show.” The relationships are the show and I hate to see it end. I think Natalie Wood’s daughter could play the role or one of the actresses who earlier played villains. What about “the good Catholic girl” murderess from the pilot? With blonde hair and a southern accent, she could do it. She certainly was believable in that episode. She was able to show me that she was clueless about “good Catholic girls” not murdering someone. That took talent.

2. AB says:

Worst. Reveal. Ever.

3. Brynna says:

well that was disappointing. Why couldn’t it have been Smallville!

4. Kaiulani says:

Spin-off with Flynn and Provenza!!!

5. Gary says:

Booo I was hoping it was 24. This is lame. You guys waited this long for this garbage SCREW YOU!

6. xav says:

The show without Kyra isn’t worth it. Certainly not with Raydor and whatever is happening with Mary McDonnell’s face lately.

• Brittany says:

“…whatever is happening with Mary McDonnell’s face lately.”

She’s 58 – that’s what happening to her face. Good lord.

• xav says:

Uh, no if that were true I would probably find her terribly attractive. I’m talking about the surgery she’s had that makes her lips stick out farther then they used to, whatever she’s done that makes her eyes stick out and the horrible, horrible make-up they have on her.

• Agnes says:

Odd comments. It is fine to think an actor is attractive etc but to blame an actor for her face? How about the quality of her acting. Do you ever comment on men’s faces? Pock marked, wrinkled etc etc? Just stop it. She is a person with feelings.

7. Shane says:

Love this news! Perhaps a few TV movies from time to time wouldn’t be a bad thing. Or… y’know, an actual movie at the theaters. :)

8. amanduhwood says:

well that was anticlimactic…

9. Alex says:

Pretty bummed it’s not Smallville or Life Unexpected.

10. sydney says:

darn, really wanted more lux, good news for closer fans though…wish i was one:)

11. Ashley says:

Not interested without Kyra. As Brenda, she’s the glue for the entire unit and series, as far as I’m concerned. If they want to continue on with Raydor, launch a spin-off attempt instead of possibly tainting one of the best series with something that fans might not like.

12. Vana says:

YESSS ! This excites me , but i can’t really imagine it without Kyra .

13. English says:

I love The Closer. I wait very impatiently for it EVERY TIME!

14. Denise C says:

I’d love to see the series continue. I can see Raydor as the new boss as long as the guys stay!!!

15. RJ says:

Awwwwww. I was seriously hoping the show the blind item was referring to would be Smallville spinning off into a proper Superman show. I don’t care a whit for The Closer. :(

16. Jon says:

I would totally watch a new Closer with Mary McDonnell. Love her.

17. Jennifer says:

Hmm…Kyra Sedgwick is the only reason I watch the show. So I am thrilled that they are trying to extend it (yay!) But re-casting the lead sounds pretty iffy. It would have to be someone with oodles of personality, like Sedgwick.
    Glad they are trying to keep it alive though!

18. FH14 says:

Cue the piercing cries of all the fans of other doomed shows.

19. Yasin says:

This really shouldn’t have been a blind item…

20. JP says:

I personally liked Michael Ausiello more when he was with EW. Between the misfired Justin Bieber Glee post and this very MEHFUL blind item reveal, I miss the old days :(

21. jenny says:

The answer is disappointing. Had hopes for other shows.

22. Liza180 says:

Bummer. Was hoping it was Terriers.

23. Liz says:

YES to extending it to 21 episodes instead of 15! YES to saving it but NOT without series star Kyra Sedgwick. I just can’t imagine that series without Brenda Leigh. I like Mary McDonnell but she’s NO Kyra! I was so EXCITED for like a hot second until I read replacing Kyra and spinoff.

24. mdb says:

this is good news the show really is well done with lots of great characters – if done right i think it could survive the loss of Brenda Lee Johnson and the move of Mary McDonnell to lead

25. Gabriela says:

boohooo I thought it was Smallville

26. Rob says:

I’m still waiting for you you to reveal the “Hot Couple Make Love AND War” blind item.

27. steve says:

The show without Kyra isn’t worth it. AS the closer is brenda/kyra i could definalty get behind them extending the season to 21 episodes. Spin off perharps get behind it.

28. Justin says:

WOW What a let down. I was looking forward to the closer going off the air. Kyras lisp is the second worst lisp on television behind only Turtle from Enterage.

29. Vann says:

YES! Perhaps not keep Mary as the lead of the closer, but I would die for a spin off of Sharon Raydor! To get into her story would be pure awesomeness!

30. Darkangel66 says:

Well that was the most uninteresting and disappointing news ever sigh not worth it -_-

31. sanie says:

That might work, but they will have to flesh out the other characters FAST before Brenda leaves. I’d give it a shot, though. Like the ensemble. Just as long as they don’t kill her off. Let her move to DC!

32. SLS says:

I absolutely LOVE The Closer, but I can’t imagine it without Sedgwick either. I can see a spinoff with the other detectives, but I am not a fan of the Raydor character as the main lead at all.

33. Casey says:

I’m pretty sure a lot of people, including myself, were hoping this reveal was related to Smallville. So I’m a little sad. I’ve never seen The Closer, so I’m not hating. I was just wishing for Smallville. Oh well. Even though I’ll be crying the night of the finale, it’s been ten years, and I understand that they all want to move on.

34. Leah Hodder-Romano says:

Let The Closer end while so many people still love it. So many shows make the mistake of lasting longer than they should.

I love Mary McDonnell (far more than Kyra), and I think she can do far better than the Closer-verse. I’m surprised it is so popular. I find the writing awkward and even dumbed down as if we can’t keep up with the story so they explain everything.

35. MockingbirdGirl says:

Much as I like the secondary characters, it’s a bad idea to try to keep it going without Kyra. “After M*A*S*H,” anyone?

36. Michelle says:

The Closer without Kyra is like an Alias without Jennifer Garner (initially, they were gonna attempt to keep it going without her when she wanted to bow out in Season 5) –She IS the show and no one will care after. I love The Closer and hadn’t even realized it’d been announced that it was ending. I think I was shooting a little high for that reveal. Bit of a let down, Aus.

37. R.H. Golem says:

Without Kyra, it’s really not the same show – is it?

38. Entertainment2u-Twitter says:

stick a fork in it — it’s done

why do these shows even think we want to watch the shows without the lead?

end THE CLOSER
    end THE OFFICE!

39. Will says:

Ugh, get rid of it. (I’ve never seen an episode)

40. roxy says:

So excited – this show is great every episode

41. Ray says:

Blind item that needs to be revealed: popular soap abruptly fires actor, rewrites mystery arc…please answer!!!

42. Jeanne says:

YES!! That’s great news! I love Brenda Lee, but not much of a fan of Capt. Rador. Maybe they can add a new character to fill her shoes.

43. MDEP says:

Brenda is “The Closer.” The whole show is based on her ability to close cases… getting a confession out of everyone to close the case… how could they possibly have The Closer without her?

While I love this show, IMO, if there is no Kyra, there should be no show.

44. Blah says:

Was hoping it was SGU. :(

I like Raydor so that would be fine by me. I do think it’s time for Kyra to move on. If she doesn’t want to be on the show anymore, I don’t want her there.

45. Clarice Fernandes says:

Thank God it is no Smallville, and The Closer without Kyra not work!!!

46. Kelly says:

Boo I wanted it to be Friday Night Lights

47. V says:

Please please do “Tensions Mounting on Hit Show”!! I want to see if I’m right or not!

48. Rebecca says:

This is great news. But I think that Provenza and/or Flynn should be given their own spin-off series. I love those guys together!

49. Nerwen Aldarion says:

Crap…I was kind of hoping for Smallville

50. Rosalie says:

The Closer? I don’t even know what that IS. Should’ve been Smallville.