Exclusive: The Closer to Live On?

Someone check the temperature in hell because I think it’s about to freeze over. Why? I’m answering one of my blind items!

The hit drama series whose final season was recently announced — but which may not be ending after all — is… The Closer!

Nearly two months after TNT announced that the show’s upcoming seventh season would be its last, sources confirm that the network is now looking at ways to keep the lucrative franchise going — perhaps without leading lady Kyra Sedgwick (whose desire to leave at the end of Season 7 prompted TNT to pull the plug in the first place).

One option being bandied about has TNT merely extending the final season from 15 to 21 episodes. Another scenario involves the net continuing the series with a new lead (Mary McDonnell’s Capt. Sharon Raydor, perhaps?) or launching a spinoff.

It’s not hard to understand why TNT would want to keep its signature series going. The Closer remains the most-watched basic cable series of all time, and this summer it helped TNT launch the promising rookie procedural Rizzoli & Isles.

A TNT spokesperson had no comment.

Thoughts? Is The Closer worth saving? Which blind item should I reveal next? Sound off below!

Comments (127)

• Not surprising, really. I just don’t know if I see this show without Kyra Sedgwick, though. A spinoff, I could probably get behind. But…

Comment by Jenny – January 23, 2011 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Keeply agree. Kyra is the anchor for this show. Brenda Lee Johnson’s skill and character are what make us tune in each week. I don’t think surveys are going to rate Mary McDonnell high on this show and frankly none of the other characters are that interesting. It’s Brenda Lee’s approach to each case. Now, some of the cases are interesting along with the weekly twists, but if Kyra isn’t persuaded to stay another year, TNT will likely find itself funding a soon to be canceled program.

Comment by Patrick Callahan – January 23, 2011 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The Closer is the best show ever. I watch it over and over. I don’t think it would be the same success without Kyra. I love the way the whole team came together as aunit. All the characters fit so well together. I love”””””””” the Closer,and would hate to see it go.

Comment by Bronique Carter – May 13, 2011 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I love this show, I love the characters and it has such smart serious stories aligned with a great cast that are so well positioned in their characters that you can’t help but bond with them as a viewer. I hope that a spin off will be successful but I have to say I’m heartbroken that the show is ending.

Comment by Grace Springthorpe – June 12, 2011 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think Capt Raydor will bring a different afpect to the show and would watch.

Comment by paulette – September 5, 2011 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Love to see a spin off. Kyra is a wonderful actress, and beautiful too, defying her years (or just looking great for her age!) and I think the show could continue if it had a replacement burning hot film/tv crossover actress such as Jennifer Aniston. Brigit Fonda? Surely one of these ladies would love a prime gig like this one? Hey TNT – where’s the dynamite? I’m a fan from downunder – come to think of it… Naomi Watts?

Comment by Anita – April 18, 2011 01:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree that another actress of similar build could slip into Brenda Leigh’s role. This was successfully accomplished years ago on Bewitched. Byra is not “the show.” The relationships are the show and I hate to see it end. I think Natalie Wood’s daughter could play the role or one of the actresses who earlier played villains. What about “the good Catholic girl” murderess from the pilot? With blonde hair and a southern accent, she could do it. She certainly was believable in that episode. She was able to show me that she was clueless about “good Catholic girls” not murdering someone. That took talent.

Comment by mk alexander – May 3, 2011 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Worst. Reveal. Ever.

Comment by AB – January 23, 2011 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • well that was disappointing. Why couldn’t it have been Smallville!

Comment by Brynna – January 23, 2011 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ….. was hoping for Smallville :(

Comment by Sheindie – January 23, 2011 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Spin-off with Flynn and Provenza!!!

Comment by Kaiulani – January 23, 2011 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Booo I was hoping it was 24. This is lame. You guys waited this long for this garbage SCREW YOU!

Comment by Gary – January 23, 2011 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show without Kyra isn’t worth it. Certainly not with Raydor and whatever is happening with Mary McDonnell’s face lately.

Comment by xav – January 23, 2011 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “…whatever is happening with Mary McDonnell’s face lately.”

She’s 58 – that’s what happening to her face. Good lord.

Comment by Brittany – January 23, 2011 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Uh, no if that were true I would probably find her terribly attractive. I’m talking about the surgery she’s had that makes her lips stick out farther then they used to, whatever she’s done that makes her eyes stick out and the horrible, horrible make-up they have on her.

Comment by xav – January 23, 2011 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Odd comments. It is fine to think an actor is attractive etc but to blame an actor for her face? How about the quality of her acting. Do you ever comment on men’s faces? Pock marked, wrinkled etc etc? Just stop it. She is a person with feelings.

Comment by Agnes – January 27, 2011 04:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this news! Perhaps a few TV movies from time to time wouldn’t be a bad thing. Or… y’know, an actual movie at the theaters. :)

Comment by Shane – January 23, 2011 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • well that was anticlimactic…

Comment by amanduhwood – January 23, 2011 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pretty bummed it’s not Smallville or Life Unexpected.

Comment by Alex – January 23, 2011 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • darn, really wanted more lux, good news for closer fans though…wish i was one:)

Comment by sydney – January 23, 2011 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not interested without Kyra. As Brenda, she’s the glue for the entire unit and series, as far as I’m concerned. If they want to continue on with Raydor, launch a spin-off attempt instead of possibly tainting one of the best series with something that fans might not like.

Comment by Ashley – January 23, 2011 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YESSS ! This excites me , but i can’t really imagine it without Kyra .

Comment by Vana – January 23, 2011 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love The Closer. I wait very impatiently for it EVERY TIME!

Comment by English – January 23, 2011 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d love to see the series continue. I can see Raydor as the new boss as long as the guys stay!!!

Comment by Denise C – January 23, 2011 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awwwwww. I was seriously hoping the show the blind item was referring to would be Smallville spinning off into a proper Superman show. I don’t care a whit for The Closer. :(

Comment by RJ – January 23, 2011 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would totally watch a new Closer with Mary McDonnell. Love her.

Comment by Jon – January 23, 2011 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmm…Kyra Sedgwick is the only reason I watch the show. So I am thrilled that they are trying to extend it (yay!) But re-casting the lead sounds pretty iffy. It would have to be someone with oodles of personality, like Sedgwick.
    Glad they are trying to keep it alive though!

Comment by Jennifer – January 23, 2011 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cue the piercing cries of all the fans of other doomed shows.

Comment by FH14 – January 23, 2011 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This really shouldn’t have been a blind item…

Comment by Yasin – January 23, 2011 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “One of my most popular blind items ever…” Yeaaaah, I think that was a lot of build up for nothing.

Comment by Michelle – January 23, 2011 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I personally liked Michael Ausiello more when he was with EW. Between the misfired Justin Bieber Glee post and this very MEHFUL blind item reveal, I miss the old days :(

Comment by JP – January 23, 2011 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The answer is disappointing. Had hopes for other shows.

Comment by jenny – January 23, 2011 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bummer. Was hoping it was Terriers.

Comment by Liza180 – January 23, 2011 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES to extending it to 21 episodes instead of 15! YES to saving it but NOT without series star Kyra Sedgwick. I just can’t imagine that series without Brenda Leigh. I like Mary McDonnell but she’s NO Kyra! I was so EXCITED for like a hot second until I read replacing Kyra and spinoff.

Comment by Liz – January 23, 2011 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this is good news the show really is well done with lots of great characters – if done right i think it could survive the loss of Brenda Lee Johnson and the move of Mary McDonnell to lead

Comment by mdb – January 23, 2011 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • boohooo I thought it was Smallville

Comment by Gabriela – January 23, 2011 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m still waiting for you you to reveal the “Hot Couple Make Love AND War” blind item.

Comment by Rob – January 23, 2011 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show without Kyra isn’t worth it. AS the closer is brenda/kyra i could definalty get behind them extending the season to 21 episodes. Spin off perharps get behind it.

Comment by steve – January 23, 2011 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOW What a let down. I was looking forward to the closer going off the air. Kyras lisp is the second worst lisp on television behind only Turtle from Enterage.

Comment by Justin – January 23, 2011 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! Perhaps not keep Mary as the lead of the closer, but I would die for a spin off of Sharon Raydor! To get into her story would be pure awesomeness!

Comment by Vann – January 23, 2011 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well that was the most uninteresting and disappointing news ever sigh not worth it -_-

Comment by Darkangel66 – January 23, 2011 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That might work, but they will have to flesh out the other characters FAST before Brenda leaves. I’d give it a shot, though. Like the ensemble. Just as long as they don’t kill her off. Let her move to DC!

Comment by sanie – January 23, 2011 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely LOVE The Closer, but I can’t imagine it without Sedgwick either. I can see a spinoff with the other detectives, but I am not a fan of the Raydor character as the main lead at all.

Comment by SLS – January 23, 2011 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m pretty sure a lot of people, including myself, were hoping this reveal was related to Smallville. So I’m a little sad. I’ve never seen The Closer, so I’m not hating. I was just wishing for Smallville. Oh well. Even though I’ll be crying the night of the finale, it’s been ten years, and I understand that they all want to move on.

Comment by Casey – January 23, 2011 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let The Closer end while so many people still love it. So many shows make the mistake of lasting longer than they should.

I love Mary McDonnell (far more than Kyra), and I think she can do far better than the Closer-verse. I’m surprised it is so popular. I find the writing awkward and even dumbed down as if we can’t keep up with the story so they explain everything.

Comment by Leah Hodder-Romano – January 23, 2011 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Much as I like the secondary characters, it’s a bad idea to try to keep it going without Kyra. “After M*A*S*H,” anyone?

Comment by MockingbirdGirl – January 23, 2011 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Closer without Kyra is like an Alias without Jennifer Garner (initially, they were gonna attempt to keep it going without her when she wanted to bow out in Season 5) –She IS the show and no one will care after. I love The Closer and hadn’t even realized it’d been announced that it was ending. I think I was shooting a little high for that reveal. Bit of a let down, Aus.

Comment by Michelle – January 23, 2011 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Without Kyra, it’s really not the same show – is it?

Comment by R.H. Golem – January 23, 2011 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • stick a fork in it — it’s done

why do these shows even think we want to watch the shows without the lead?

end THE CLOSER
    end THE OFFICE!

Comment by Entertainment2u-Twitter – January 23, 2011 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh, get rid of it. (I’ve never seen an episode)

Comment by Will – January 23, 2011 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited – this show is great every episode

Comment by roxy – January 23, 2011 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Blind item that needs to be revealed: popular soap abruptly fires actor, rewrites mystery arc…please answer!!!

Comment by Ray – January 23, 2011 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!! That’s great news! I love Brenda Lee, but not much of a fan of Capt. Rador. Maybe they can add a new character to fill her shoes.

Comment by Jeanne – January 23, 2011 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brenda is “The Closer.” The whole show is based on her ability to close cases… getting a confession out of everyone to close the case… how could they possibly have The Closer without her?

While I love this show, IMO, if there is no Kyra, there should be no show.

Comment by MDEP – January 23, 2011 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was hoping it was SGU. :(

I like Raydor so that would be fine by me. I do think it’s time for Kyra to move on. If she doesn’t want to be on the show anymore, I don’t want her there.

Comment by Blah – January 23, 2011 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank God it is no Smallville, and The Closer without Kyra not work!!!

Comment by Clarice Fernandes – January 23, 2011 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boo I wanted it to be Friday Night Lights

Comment by Kelly – January 23, 2011 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please please do “Tensions Mounting on Hit Show”!! I want to see if I’m right or not!

Comment by V – January 23, 2011 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is great news. But I think that Provenza and/or Flynn should be given their own spin-off series. I love those guys together!

Comment by Rebecca – January 23, 2011 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Crap…I was kind of hoping for Smallville

Comment by Nerwen Aldarion – January 23, 2011 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Closer? I don’t even know what that IS. Should’ve been Smallville.

Comment by Rosalie – January 23, 2011 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post