Great Scott! Fringe Tops Friday Ratings

It didn’t draw the 1.21 gigaviewers I had hoped for, but Fox’s Fringe nonetheless won the night in the demos with its Friday debut.

Fringe delivered a 1.9 rating in the coveted 18-to-49 demo, up 12 percent from its last Thursday outing and building slightly on its lead-in, Kitchen Nightmares. Overall, the spooktacular series — which this week guest-starred Back To The Future‘s Christopher Lloyd — drew 4.83 million total viewers.

Elsewhere on the newly freaky Friday….

* NBC’s CBS’s’ Medium walked into the light with a finale audience of  7.76 million total viewers, making it the night’s most watched program (with CSI: NY serving up a repeat and Blue Bloods temporarily test-driving Wednesdays).

* The aforementioned Kitchen Nightmares led the 8 o’clock time period in the demos. In fact, Kitchen Nightmares and Fringe combined to give Fox its best average Friday rating since March 2008 (!).

* The double-helping of CSI: NY repeats won the 9 and 10 pm slots in total viewers, with audiences of 7.2 million and 6.6 mil.

1. cody g says:

this is amazing news!!! my saturday has been made!!! lets hope it can keep this up and there will be no question about its renewal!!!! LONG LIVE FRINGE!!!!!!

2. Narrowback says:

Great news! I know there’s lots of panic about the Friday move, but I think that there are plenty of people who, due to kids or budget or both (I’m in the last camp) like to stay in on Fridays, and have been hungry for some good Friday night television.

• Will says:

I’ve been hungry since Syfy gave up on the Scifi Friday Night idea. I like Sanctuary and Merlin, but they’re nothing special like Fringe. I myself stay in because I live in a small town with nothing to do.

• Rachael says:

Agreed! Friday is one of the few nights I can watch tv. Considering movie tickets are $10.50, who can afford to go out.

3. Roni says:

Praise Jesus!!!!!

4. Roni says:

Praise Jesus!!!

5. Ali says:

Last night’s episode was amazing. Love me some Fringe!

6. Sarah says:

FRINGE FANS FILL FRENZIED FLAILING FOR FOX FRIDAY’S FREAKY FEATURE ‘FIREFLY’, FUTURE FACILITATED

Alliteration is fun. :D

7. Alexa Whiteside says:

I’m curious how Supernatural will affect this next week. I know that it’s CW and all, but the audience and key demo for these two shows are very similar.

• mdaily says:

This is my concern too. Too bad to very good shows will be in direct competition with each other.

• mdaily says:

Sorry. Meant to write “two very good shows”.

• Chiana says:

That’s what I’ve been worried about too. I have a PVR and can also use time-shifting, but I don’t think the networks properly credit delayed viewing. It’s too bad that they’re not both on Fox, so this wouldn’t happen, but on the other hand I think CW probably offers more support and sticks to its shows, than Fox usually does.

• Alexander Amoibé says:

I love both shows and I view both of them religiously… but not necessarily on Friday night. I think the ratings system needs to take better account of the viewers who tune in on Hulu or through the Fox and CW websites, because things are different now than they were before. I’m not watching these shows on a CRT television, I view them on my laptop, sometimes multiple times, and that should count in the overall ratings scheme.

8. Sandra says:

Cool, not let’s up it keeps these ratings.

• Sandra says:

What the heck is wrong with me?????? I was trying to say “now let’s hope it keeps these ratings” My brain is broken :(

9. Mikaylah says:

Yay! Last night’s episode was wonderful. I hope Fringe can find success on Fridays.

10. Finally some good news for this show! And last night’s episode exploring chain reactions and chaos theory with Dr. Brown of all people? Amazing!

11. JC says:

You probably should have mentioned that “Supernatural” was a rerun on the CW. “Supernatural” will be back with new episodes next week, and only then will we get a true feel for how well “Fringe” can do on Fridays.

• SW says:

I agree with JC. I only watched Fringe live last night because Supernatural wasn’t new. Once it returns, I’ll be watching Supernatural live and DVRing Fringe to watch the next day, and I know several of my friends are planning on doing the same. So, you probably shouldn’t get too excited about these ratings yet. Next week will be the big test.

• FVS says:

There are a lot of people who are getting bored with Supernatural too, though. And with CSI. Fringe can maybe pick up some stragglers from those shows, because it is both a freaky show (like Supernatural) and an investigative show (like CSI).

• caroline says:

But you don’t have a Nielsen box, so who the eff cares?!

12. Doug-H says:

I wasn’t home last night but the DVR was working just fine and I watched this terrific episode when I got there… I guess if I counted, I’d be in the time shifted viewership.. I will be curious how Fringe does with DVR viewings… Moving off of the tough 9-10 Thursday slot I’m sure helped….

And the quality of last night’s episode will cause more folks stay home…

13. Ben Phelps says:

It will be interesting to see how Fringe is affected by competition from new episodes of Supernatural and CSI: NY, but for now, it’s good news. Go Fringe!

14. raelee514 says:

Yay Go Fringe, :::happy dance:::

15. Sourabh says:

This is great news, although I don’t know how the return of CSI:NY and Supernatural might affect future ratings.

On an related note, for some reason, while posting the comment, the name, email address and website were automatically filled with the details of a Sam McPherson from tvovermind.com.

16. Jane2 says:

Finally some good ratings news this week! I hope Fringe keeps it up, I really want another season. Fingers crossed there won’t be too much crossover between its audience and CSI NY.

17. Elin says:

FRIIIIIIIIINGE <3 :D

18. Maryann Craven says:

Woo Hoo!!

19. darclyte says:

Happy about Fringe.
    Sad to see Medium go.
    Got me pretty choked up near the end, but I did like that they had each cast member acknowledge the audience.
    Amazing that a show with nearly 8 million viewers can’t stay on the air in this time of poorly rated tv.

• LLNYRN says:

Though I hadn’t watched it in quite a while, I was also sad to see “MEDIUM” go. I did’t even know that last Friday was its end until the day before in my local newspaper.

The stories on “MEDIUM” got a bit too redundant and stale for me at times. But I always loved the family dynamic of that show.

Incidentally,

This was the 2nd Glenn Gordon-Caron show to get cancelled by CBS for poor ratings on a Friday night. “NOW AND AGAIN” was the other one. And that was a GREAT show too.

20. ForensicMama says:

YES!!! I hope this means a renewal!

21. Mykosmo says:

Thank god! I’m relieved and overjoyed that it held it’s own. Maybe we can get a few more seasons of Fringe!

22. aci79 says:

I’m so glad that we are having a good start with Fringe Friday. I hope that it maintains the number and renewed for however long the series need to complete the storyline. Keep it up Fringies!!!

23. Kelly says:

YAY! I love Fringe. One of the best shows on tv.

24. Gadsdenrattlers says:

Loved the Twin Peaks reference in the latest show. Wouldn’t it be a hoot if the “real” Dr. Jacobi paid a visit???

25. Marc says:

Next week will be interesting: I think Supernatural has a better lead-in than Fringe in the sense that Smallville and SPN fit together better than Kitchen Nightmares and Fringe do. I believe that Supernatural and Fringe were in the same time slot on Thursdays last year as well so it’ll be interesting to see how much each show affects the other.

Personally, I think there are enough viewers to go around and that both shows will be safe. With Smallville bowing out after this season, I could easily see CW giving Supernatural the 8 p.m. Friday slot next year and using it to lead-in to either a new show or one that just started out this season. I’d just think that CW would want to keep as many vetran shows going as possible, especially considering how poor some of their other shows do in the ratings. I’m pretty sure that Jared Padelecki and Jensen Ackles have signed on for another two seasons so the network wouldn’t have to worry about contract demands from the two actors.

• Bob says:

Fox should put on reruns of X-Files right before Fringe, then they’d really wipe the floor with all the other shows. Who cares if the shows are over 10 years old, they’re still great.

26. tazzy says:

“Medium” was fantastic! I’m glad people tuned in to watch.

27. AlistairCrane says:

Fringe didn’t top the ratings, Medium did.

• StupidAlistair says:

we’re talking about 18-49. idiot.

cbs got money-less people watching. advertisers don’t care about them.

• Keno says:

I’m glad the show you like is still hanging on. Rest assured, though, the creative forces behind “Fringe” could care less about you. Sooner or later…sooner, I think, you’re going to find that out. Then you’ll feel the pain of us so called non-spending viewers who watched shows like, “Commander and Chief”, “Life On Mars”, “Jericho”, “Lost”, “American Dreams”, and yes, even “Medium”, bite the dust. The first three shows I mentioned had great promise, but we live in a RIGHT NOW world. Imagine all the shows that had slow starts now considered classics: “Bonanza”, “Mash”, “All In The Family”, “Route 66″, “Maverick”; the list is staggering. Today they’d be canceled after a few weeks. WAKE UP- The television industry doesn’t care about us, and we need to stick together! You’re the idiot if you can’t see that. It’s my hope that in twenty years, YouTube sinks the networks, and gives the actors the chance to produce themselves and control their futures. Then, maybe, the viewer will suddenly be important again. I just hope I live to see it. We support your choice of shows- Do you would it hurt you to throw us a little support back?

28. Keith T. says:

Honestly I am surprised that the day a program airs still has such an effect on ratings. With the prevalence of DVRs, do people still watch TV live anymore?

29. QuitBeingABuzzKill says:

Friday night’s episode was fantastic! I’ve missed Walter. The opening scene alone made my day. Don’t give up Fringe fans!

As for the farcically fake Fringe fans-

Seriously, the first remotely good news Fringe fans have had in moths, and there they are, the Supernatural people. We get it, you claim to love both shows, but won’t support the one that actually needs live viewers because you don’t really care if it gets cancelled. We understand, no Supernatural fan will watch Fringe, ever, ever, ever. Is it too much to ask that you go and spread your negativity elsewhere for one friggin week? Don’t you have an online poll to swarm?

30. jeremy says:

the test now is the channel surfer to check it out and get hooked like the rest of us. it just takes one or two episodes and they will join the ranks of us Fringe fans. MAY FRINGE LIVE FOREVER!!!!