Cable News News: Olbermann Out At MSNBC

After a rather tempestuous year and amid many changes in the cable news biz, it was announced late Friday that Keith Olbermann and MSNBC are parting ways, effective almost immediately.

“MSNBC and Keith Olbermann have ended their contract,” reads a statement from the cable news channel. “The last broadcast of Countdown with Keith Olbermann will be this [Friday] evening.”

“MSNBC thanks Keith for his integral role in MSNBC’s success,” the statement continues, “and we wish him well in his future endeavors.”

How will MSNBC fill the void? According to multiple reports, as of Monday The Last Word with Lawrence O’Donnell will claim the 8 o’clock weekdays spot, followed by Rachel Maddow. Ed Schultz’s The Ed Show will close the night at 10.

Olbermann’s exit comes three months after he was famously “suspended indefinitely” — aka a few days — after it was discovered that he had donated to three Democratic candidates during the last election cycle.

What’s your reaction to this wowza bit of cable news news? Were you Team Olbermann and are thus sad to see him go?

Watch video of Olbermann announcing his final show:

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

1. Kiki says:

Best News EVER!

• J says:

Seriously? Best news ever? If you didn’t like the guy, you didn’t have to watch.

I am going to miss him, been watching his show for 8 years

• Matt says:

God forbid there actually be an opposing view point to the right wingers at Fox. Goodluck to you Keith!

• Bob says:

Gee what ever will you do without hearing a voice on the left? You might have to turn to other MSNBC shows, New York Times, LA Times, NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN, Washington Post, or NPR.

Whatever will you do to hear the voice of the left?

• Nicole Belle says:

Wait, the “left” NY Times that published Judith Miller’s lies about Iraq?

The “left” ABC that has featured presidential loser John McCain 26 times since 2008 (how many times did they feature John Kerry after 2004)?

The “left” NBC whose anchor David Gregory said it wasn’t his job to fact check lies told by Republican guests after Media Matters showed how many times he allowed “death panel” lies to air unchallenged during health care reform? The same NBC who had Tim Russert, Dick Cheney’s favorite outlet to catapult the propaganda.

The “left” CBS that fired Dan Rather?

The “left” CNN that hired Erick Erickson, conservative blogger who referred to Justice Souter as a “goat-f&#$ing molester”?

The “left” Washington Post who also printed lies about Iraq and held off on publishing about warrantless wiretapping until after the 2004 election?

The “left” NPR that relied on 239 guests from conservative think tanks (as opposed to 141 from liberal think tanks) for their various shows.

That “left” media? Gimme a break. “Liberal media bias” is a oft-used but rarely proven meme that doesn’t hold up to even the slightest scrutiny.

• waagtod says:

The only people that consider those outlets as “left” are the neo-nazis fox heads that have their nose up glenbecks bum. I hate Illinois Nazis.

• Earl Thomas Glass Jr says:

To Whom This Concerns:
      I will miss the Keith Olbermann Show on MSNBC! I will therefore watch LESS of MSNBC, I like Chris Mathews,Ed Shultz, and Rachel Maddow; but Kieth Olbermann for me was the modern day Edward R. Murrow; During the George W Bush administration Mr Olbermann so rightly spoke of the hypocrisy that Mr Bush’s administration exhibited during his tenure in office. Mr Olbermann compelled me to think, research what he spoke on, and then determine what is Truth! What a shame this great journalist will not grace the face of TV at the moment. I am so sadden! I wish Mr Olbermann good health,joy, happiness, and a good life. Blessing to him in Yeshua!

2. Jeff says:

Score one for the multitude of right wing liars.

3. topoopon says:

MSNBC’s mistake. Bye bye to whatever ratings they had.

• Daniel says:

MSNBC has been called the House that Keith built, and indeed he’s the primary reason I tune in.

I’ll stick around for Rachel, love her too. But this still stings.

4. Bob says:

Good bye Keith. You were terrible and got your butt kicked in ratings nightly.

• Kevin H. says:

MSNBC is second-tier cable, numbnuts. Go back to watching Fox!

• Bob says:

Bet you’re part of the request for civility crowd in politics. How intellectual of you.

He got his butt kicked as far as second-tier cable shows go.

• Al says:

Gee Bob. Normally I wouldn’t take your comments seriously, but I see that unlike your political cohorts you can complete a sentence. If you think that networks such as ABC and NBC are situated on the left, then you’re situated so far on the right that no one with half a mind will take you seriously. Go join your Tea Party buddies and see if collectively you can complete an entire thought.

• Stewie says:

Are you Bill O’Reilly’s agent? No one else cares about ratings, dude. Stop reciting garbage over and over, it makes you look like you don’t know what you are talking about.

5. Charlie says:

Had to check my calendar to be sure it wasn’t just an April Fool’s Day joke. Thankfully it isn’t!

6. Lindsey says:

At least we still have Rachel.

7. Clarissa says:

=(

Sure he was an asshole, but he did more good than harm.

8. Matt says:

Heartbroken over this news. Keith you are a voice of reason in a crazy world, to MSNBC, you have made a tremendous mistake. Keith, please it is my hope to hear your voice again in the non too distant future. God speed sir and thank you.

9. Derek64 says:

So sad about this!

10. Kerem says:

A shame to see him go, as he was one of the few real journalists left on tv that wasnt afraid to tell it like it is & call out the GOP on their “politics”. Not surprised by all the hate in some of the other replies on here about his depaarture. Though even those people know deep down that what he had to say he could always back up & in an argument he would always put them in their place, not that it would do any good.

11. Sharon says:

I’m not a fan but he deserved better than MSNBC.

12. Diane says:

I am a big fan. He spoke te truth first and will miss watching him.

13. Dorothy says:

Will miss keith, hope to see him on another news network.

14. Jay says:

I guess Keith is the first victim of the NBC-Comcast merger. How is this merger good for America?

15. EM says:

Was MSNBC not happy with him or with what he was saying? Would Fox let their highest rated personality go like this? Probably only if they killed Cheney or became a Democrat.

16. Mr. Schwump says:

I’m going to miss him, yet I think the show has gone off the rails lately. Too vitriolic.

I think the nation has shifted after the Tucson shooting, and I am watching very little of these screaming and yelling shows anymore. I’d like to see more intelligent analysis of the issues. Like the Chris Matthews Sunday show, for example.

One thing I would like to see more of is less Sarah Palin. The media needs to treat Sarah Palin less like a major political figure and a more like Ann Coulter – a calculating individual who says shocking things to attract media attention.

• Media Ho says:

You know, I usually describe Coulter as a “total a$$hole bee-yotch with no feelings or compassion for anyone other than fellow right-wingers,” but I LOVE your very succinct and non-censorable description. I salute you, sir!

17. mp says:

It’s about time.

18. Lisa says:

That sucks !
    Keith will be missed.
    Doesn’t seem like MSNBC gave anyone much notice which is really kinda lame.

19. dj says:

I agree that we need more reason and less emotion in our newspeople.

20. Joan Reyes says:

The repugnants who are taking over MSNBC will likely fire Rachel Maddow next, since she is left-leaning as well. If that happens, I hope their ratings dive-bomb and then let’s see what they will do with their precious network.

Even if I could afford cable, I won’t subscribe to Comcast. I hope all those executives get their butts kicked good and hard.

• Jason says:

If Rachel is gone, I no longer have a reason to watch the network, I guess I’ll just turn off TV and listen to Citizen Radio…oh well

21. Mark says:

I watched Keith and supported his show. I ubderstand that a new broom sweeps clean. I hope Keith gets a new gig on HBO so he can speak openly. I understand what Comcast is all about. We the people are loosing our rights to the right. Be very careful. Our justice department allowed this merger. What does that tell you.

22. JEF says:

#Bring Keith back!

23. Jay says:

Well Keith!….You let the Bastards win!

24. Kira J says:

Dumbest move ever! Hopefully CNN will grab him while he’s hot!

25. BBBoomer says:

I’m so sad. Keith said what I wanted to. I watched Countdown whenevery I could. I hope he pops up somewhere else. There are not enough strong voices on the left to counteract the shouts from the right.

Keith, we need you!

26. T. Davis says:

Well, it doesn’t matter. When the nuts take over the government, you know Bachman and the Pee Party and all that, we’re doomed. They will completely wipe out the economy and everything that goes with it. Get in fight with every country on earth. America’s only got about ten years left on the planet. Keith was trying to help us.

27. T.A. McNeil says:

I think it is best for Olbermann. He has become increasingly shrill and narrow-minded, and has at times resorted to outright lies to support his political beliefs as the only ones worth having. I wish Keith well and hope that he returns to television in the near future, but at the same time I am hoping that he is a little more “controlled”. Being an advocate wasn’t the problem; becoming arrogant, patronizing, and mean-spirited was.

28. Emily says:

I am still in shock over this horrible decision. Keith was a voice of truth and reason, and one of the few people on TV brave enough to stand up against the Bush Administration, regardless of the political blowback. I know I would have gone crazy during those years were it not for Keith. He will be greatly missed.

• Brandon says:

He was afraid to have a republican on his show I don’t think he ever had one on. I’ve never seen him argue with a republican only behind there backs. That’s why his show was boring you just hear on side 100% of the time. Even Hannity will argue with liberals on his show.

• Cathy says:

Hannity also said to Sarah Palin that he never heard her complaining–why didn’t he just bend over? She hasn’t stopped whining since she lost the election.

Those who don’t leave their couch and don’t read for themselves listen to Fox, which is argumentative and destructive. They don’t like one thing, so they hate on everything. Try thinking for yourself for a change and not taking everything someone says as the gospel.

29. mtn_ lion says:

Really sorry to see Keith go, hope he’ll surface on CNN or somewhere else very soon. At times he was over the top and a little shrill– but he was always right. He and Rachel were the pillars of MSNBC’s healthy counterweight to Fox, and one does get the sense that in the wake of the hyper-capitalist mega-merger, maybe that’s all gonna be dismantled. Good luck with the ratings thing, MSNBC. Less sarcastically, good luck Keith! Going back to “Mission Accomplished,” you were a desperately needed breath of fresh air.

30. Rocket says:

They still have Rachel Maddow….and she has the exact same haircut.

31. Stephanie says:

Keith was the only good thing about the evening lineup. He could be too much up his own butt once in a while but you just roll your eyes and move on. Racheal Maddow on the other hand just sucks and spends most of the program lecturing to the viewer and explaining everything like you are a slow 8th grader. MSNBC just shot itself in the foot. Why not get rid of useless “morning Joe”, oh yeah you are in bed with Starbucks and are corporate w hores.

32. Chris says:

Keith is MSNBC.

33. Brandon says:

I thought he was being sarcastic when he mentioned it was the final Countdown, before the last commercial break. But it was real. I’m still as speechless and heartbroken as I was when he said his farewell.

34. sumwhut says:

this is distressing. don’t try to convince me of the pervasive existence of a “liberal” drive by media. we are being overrun/mind manipulated by the corporate right. downright scary. i will miss keith.

35. Will says:

Sane…reason…truth…good…combined with Keith Olbermann all of these words become oxymorons. Goodbye and good riddance you vile human being, truly you ARE the worst person in the world!

• Cathy says:

Really? That’s all you’ve got? It was a joke, and obviously, one that people without a sense of humor didn’t get. He pointed out the stupidity of our elected officials time and time again. Why shouldn’t he? No one else other than Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert were doing it.

36. Lj says:

MSNBC would be a leader truly if they filled the time slot with Democracy Now! MSNBC is center left. The Left has little voice in this country.

• JD says:

Yes, the left has no voice in this country. Okay, so what do you call NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, NPR, the New York Times, the Washington Post, the Los Angeles Times, etc?

37. Jez stratton says:

Goodbye and good riddance. One of the most vile human beings ever to get air time.

38. Crissy says:

I never watched, but he is nice to look at.

39. Guru9 says:

I still don’t get it. Rachel, Lawrence, and Ed are just as, if not more outspoken as he is. I wonder if the new Comcast merger had anything to do with it…. Hmmmmm????
    Anyway, when another news channel picks him up, that’s who I’m watching. See you soon Keith!!!

40. Arthur Jefferson says:

Correction: Nielsens are everything and Olbermann wasn’t even a blip on the radar. He’ll be missed by nobody, including NBC: hamster races in Anchorage, Alaska–filler in the 2 AM slot–drew better ratings. I hope this mama’s boy will enjoy improved success on his new gig (a puppet show, ironically, in Anchorage, Alaska).

• Cathy says:

Wow, such hostility. Yet most of the comments on numerous blogs indicate you are wrong. Maybe you’re the one who should look into that puppet show. And of course, once you say one word against Palin, you’d be cancelled. Oh, wait! The Alaskan people can’t stand her, either! As for being a mama’s boy, who cares and why not? Besides, if you knew anything about Olbermann, you’d know that he mourned his father’s passing recently, and shared it with his viewers. His grace indicates a dignity that most people can’t even contemplate.

41. Elliot says:

What class he has! Be will be missed. Keith is the only program that I watched on MSNBC.

42. Will says:

Random thoughts: 1) This didn’t have to do with macro issues; it was office politics. My guess is that Keith consistently pissed off his immediate boss, but he always had someone higher to appeal to. Now that the merger is complete, no longer is there someone looking out for him and the chickens have come home to roost. Keith’s immediate boss knew this and has been setting him up for months. A checkers versus chess situation. In other words, whoever green lit Lawrence’s show knew that it would eventually replace Keith. Look at how quickly MSNBC has announced its change in line up? The Young Turks guy who will take over Ed’s 6 pm slot is ready to go on Monday. 2) Depending on his contract with MSNBC, I see Keith taking over Larry King’s old slot within one year, especially if the British guy doesn’t pan out. CNN will take Keith b/c this has nothing to do with left/ right issues or personalities. Keith is a known quantity who can bring in money. 3) This notion that there is a right-winged conspiracty to get rid of Keith is unfounded. If there were anyone whom I would target as a conservative shareholder for Comcast, it would be Rachel. First, her audience is younger and likely to grow to a larger degree over time. Second, more people take Rachel seriously. She’s a Rhodes Scholar with a PhD in politics. Who else from MSNBC’s left appears more frequently on Meet the Press? Thirdly, Rachel follows the money better than anyone I’ve seen on network television today. Her addiction to connecting the dots and utilizing facts to show the motivation behind x, y, and z makes her more dangerous to monied people than anyone I can think of in the media now.

43. Guy Thompson says:

MSNBC has hurt the viewership by releasing him. He was a voice of reason for them. I looked to the channel for reasonable commentary, now I am not sure what to expect, or even if it will be useful to watch.

44. DN says:

FOX News is for people who only want to hear their existing opinions confirmed. If you’re a fan, you’re a joke. And your opinion is nothing more than white noise. Why post this comment here? It fits in just as much as FOX news fans’ comments bashing Keith Olbermann.

• Anne says:

Keith burned too many bridges just as he did at all his other jobs. And anyone who paints the Fox news viewers with such a broad brush is an idiot.

45. Tony C. Blondell says:

I watched Keith for many years and found a consistent theme in his show. It was “Lookout for your fellow man, and Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” I will say this One last time for you Keith…”The worst person in the world…… “MSNBC”. Good Night and Good Luck..

46. Benson76 says:

Plain & simple he is one of a kind. This man paved the road for Rachael Maddow as well as the other fantastic news anchors to follow. I am heart broken that he will no-longer be my five O’clock must see T.V.. If he gets another show on another network make no mistake I will follow him anywhere. Friday the 21st 2011 was a sad day in news…

47. Ben Phelps says:

Seems like there’s more to this story than we’re getting right now…

48. lanam says:

hahaha i am so freaking happy he is gone gone gone..i could not stand him – he just liked to hear his own voice…i never watched him, sorry for the ppl who actually listened to his gibberish…also can’t blame the repubs, and before you get your panties in a twist I am an Independent — middle of the road when it comes to politic, bc i don’t trust either parties repubs and/or dems…they are all full of bs..keith olberman will not have his chair to kiss obama’s ass anymore yipeee…buh-bye

• Tony C. Blondell says:

I read you post and what struck me was you opening statement..”i never watched him”, and yet you can opine on his show.Think about what you said just for a minute…”i never watched him”. I don’t know you, I have never heard you or saw you and yet I don’t like you..Does that sound like a sensible statement? Let me answer it for you the answer is NO. So do you wanna try again and talk about something you know a little about. Just a suggestion. Me personally, I think I would choose to know you first before I made a snap judgment on whether or not I liked you. I bet If I met you I would like you.. Have a great day ” Potential Friend”

49. Ed says:

On Deadline.com, the story is that Olbermann wanted out and set everything in motion. Kind of hard to blame others when he is the one who wanted to leave. Perhaps he has a new place set up to go to.

50. Gadsdenrattlers says:

Good Riddance. The vitriol that came from that show was terrible.
    0.3% of the American population watched Olbermann. The other 99.7% could have cared less.