Scoop: Ricky Gervais Reclaims His Office Job!

You know that faceoff between Office managers David Brent and Michael Scott that’s supposedly been in the works for, um, ever? Looks like it’s actually, finally gonna happen!

Sources confirm that Ricky Gervais will reprise his role from the original overseas version of the comedy in the Jan. 27 episode of the U.S. redo. As you’d expect, details are sketchy. But what I’m being told is that Gervais — who not only created the British Office but retains an exec producer title on the American remake — will cross paths (and perhaps swords?) with his Yank counterpart, Steve Carell’s Michael.

You’ll recall that last year Gervais hinted that he might be Dunder-Mifflin-bound this season, then producers denied anything was in the works. (Though the actor-comedian previously wrote an episode of the U.S. Office, this would be his first time appearing on screen.)

The news of Gervais’ guest gig comes just three days after his no-holds-barred stint as host of the Golden Globes drew fire from Hollywood’s thinnest-skinned elite. Thankfully, a backlash to the backlash seems to be kicking in.

Your thoughts?

Comments (173)

• Holy Hell, that would be the best thing ever. Seriously.

Comment by The Laura – January 19, 2011 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Ricky Gervais would be a great candidate, as well as Jim Carrey. Personally, I think Jim Carrey would be a better choice.

Comment by Tiyan Newman – January 19, 2011 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Jim Carrey didn’t CREATE the OFFICE! Ricky Gervais is the genius mastermind behind this show that we LOVE!!!! I really don’t think you can possibly get a better guest star!!!!! No matter how big of a movie star or how funny a comedian you are.

Comment by Gena – January 19, 2011 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I would stop watching The Office if Jim Carey was on it. He’s a great serious actor (Eternal Sunshine, Simon Birch), but I hate all his comedies!

Comment by ella – January 19, 2011 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • While I don’t think Jim would be the best candidate either, how can you not like Ace Ventura and have a soul?

Comment by Dave – January 19, 2011 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • jim carrey? hahhah wtf does he have anything to do with the office? He is slapstick funny not office funny.

Comment by erin – January 19, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • how could jim carrey be the better choice?? gervais created the role as david brent so no-one could play the role better,also they want it to be david brent making the appearance!not a yank pretending to be david brent,DUMB ASS!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by wayne ellis – January 19, 2011 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Jim Carrey?!!! Whaaaaat? I can’t even imagine him in this role. I guess no one can really replace Micheal Scott in my mind.

Comment by Hardyhar – January 19, 2011 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Idiot.

Comment by Dwight Shrute – January 19, 2011 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Carey over Gervais. Gervais is … THE OFFICE.

Comment by gary lashmar – January 26, 2011 02:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree!!!

Comment by Odis – January 19, 2011 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Very deep. Sounds like a Daniel Steele episode. I hope Ricky can compose himself for the takes of the upcoming segment. His empathetic side will come through just like on the Golden Globes. Very sappy and very British. Does he take up a latin lover??

Comment by Lisa Devine – January 19, 2011 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought that there could not posibly be anyone good enough to fill Steve Carrell’s shoes – but this is pure genius. Ricky Gervais, although fairly new on the American scene, is more than perfect to take over this role and do it with panache!

Comment by Susan Howard – January 19, 2011 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m so sorry, I know Ricky is a very talented man, and creative too, but he’s just not that funny…he’s humorous…there is a difference. I don’t care if he has a cameo or not.

Comment by T – January 29, 2011 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brilliant!

Comment by Dillan – January 19, 2011 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But David Brent didn’t work for Dunder Mifflin – he worked for Wernham Hogg. I wonder how they’ll explain that…

Comment by JJ – January 19, 2011 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Easy. Sabre buys the brittish company. Writes itself ;)

Comment by Arthur – January 19, 2011 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • David Brent doesn’t work for Wernham Hogg either, he was fired. But that doesn’t mean that the documentary crew behind the camera isn’t the same for both versions of The Office.

Comment by Jason C. – January 19, 2011 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You do recall David Brent not working for Wernham Hogg in the end, right?

Wernham and Dunder don’t have to have any connection whatsoever. For all we know, David went for the American dream, but will end up just managing another paper merchant.

Comment by Ellmer – January 19, 2011 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, I recall that, which is why i wrote that he WORKED (past tense) for Wernham Hogg. Give me some credit, guys :)

Comment by JJ – January 19, 2011 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Of course I remember – that’s why I wrote WORKED (past tense). Come on guys, give me some credit! :)

Comment by JJ – January 19, 2011 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HATED him on the Golden Globes, but man alive, if he gets to be David Brent again, all is forgiven.

Comment by Jacob – January 19, 2011 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • u have no friends and no taste in comedy

Comment by the big one – January 19, 2011 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ricky was brilliant at the Golden Globes… otherwise would have been extremely BORING… He told it like it is and man, considering the times, what a breath of FRESH AIR!!!

Comment by Karen – January 19, 2011 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. It seems American Actors cannot take a good slagging off. They’s last about 5 minutes in Frank’s Cafe in Liverpool or playing the Glasgow Empire Theater (the Graveyard for Comics who suck)

Comment by Mikeypoppins – January 19, 2011 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you didnt like him for the Golden Globes then why would you watch him as Brent? His humour created Brent, and his humour skewered Hollywood drolly, something that those who take themselves too seriously should get over. He was a brilliant host, and hopefully the writing will live up to expectations for the MIchael meets David event

Comment by Trent – January 19, 2011 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you must be a thin-skinned celebrity then. Gervais rocked!

Comment by RB – January 19, 2011 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just hope they’re both sitting in an airport next to each other chit-chatting in between flights or something. Crossing paths is about all that needs to happen between David & Michael.

Comment by Elizabeth – January 19, 2011 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Couldn’t agree more. This would satisfy everyone’s curiosity without violating the enclosed world of the original “Office”. David Brent ended things on a promising note; no need to resurrect him.

Comment by Gavin – January 19, 2011 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree as well. Maybe Michael signs up for a 2 day C level training seminar, and they incidentally check in at same time. Lots of material from there!! Hey … look at me, I’m a writer!

Comment by Tall Ted – January 19, 2011 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • British “Office” purists are going to throw a hissy fit. I’m interested to see what they come up with, though.

Comment by Andrew – January 19, 2011 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • JJ, I think the esiest thing would be to say both companies are owned by Sabre. Or Sabre is owned by some larger conglomerate that also owns Wernham Hogg.

Comment by MikeNJD – January 19, 2011 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking the same thing. I have to admit I have never seen any British version of the Office; so Gervais’ coming on there (aside from his being fantastically comedic), wouldn’t really mean anything to me insofar as his role overseas.
      I don’t relate Wernham Hog with Dunder Mifflin or vice versa and never heard of Wernham Hog until today. Guess its time to head over to Netflix and catch up on the British version. I’ve been meaning to.
      But, in all fairness to the many, many Americans who have NOT seen the British version, they just wouldn’t get his being there and because of that, it really wouldn’t make much sense. They might just look at each other like, “Huh? What was THAT all about?”

Comment by MaryOfficeWannabee – January 19, 2011 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AWESOME NEWS! Ricky Gervais for the epic win!

Comment by Troy – January 19, 2011 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMFG! OMFFG!

Dude, this is the best scoop you have ever told us about! :D

Comment by Manuel Reis – January 19, 2011 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • my thoughts?! —- BRILLIANT! i am in LOVE with Ricky Gervais! love him! loved him as the host of the Golden Globes! i am obsessed with The Office! ….this just sounds like perfection!

Comment by Dayz – January 19, 2011 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes. A thousand times, yes.

Comment by Jen S – January 19, 2011 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It´s and old news.

Comment by Paute – January 19, 2011 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awww, excellent news. I wonder if he’s applying for Michael’s job.

Comment by MIchael – January 19, 2011 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Certainly that doesn’t mean that the little contretemps between Gervais and Carell at the Globes was a publicity stunt?

Ah, Hollywood. It never gets old.

Comment by te – January 19, 2011 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They do that all the time though. Anytime Ricky is hosting/presenting at something that Steve is at, Ricky says something terrible about Steve and Steve acts all offended.

Comment by Briana – January 19, 2011 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I always had this idea that they would reveal in the series finale that Ricky Gervais had been behind the camera the entire time. This kills the dream I dreamed.

Comment by DH – January 19, 2011 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • David Brent doesn’t work for Wernham Hogg. He was made redundant.

Comment by Chester McDoodles – January 19, 2011 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally!

Comment by Adam – January 19, 2011 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He was great on the Golden Globes. People need to realize he’s a comedian, and he makes jokes. It’s not like he’s the only one who bashes celebrities; go look at a celebrity magazine and see how much they point out that someone looks fatter than usual. GET OVER IT.

Comment by Mike – January 19, 2011 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • love it – hope those wimps at the gg who couldn’t take the truth choke on this!

Comment by joseph – January 19, 2011 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I personally think the British version of the office is complete garbage and that Ricky Gervais is talent-less rude individual. Please keep him off of the American office. :)

Comment by KG – January 19, 2011 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • thankyou !!

Comment by Zach Becker – January 19, 2011 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • talentless? He invented the office. wtf. He picked Steve Carrell to play the boss. wtf again

Comment by Bill – January 19, 2011 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ricky is a genius & if it wasn’t for him there wouldn’t be an American “Office” dur !

Comment by Max – January 19, 2011 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love watching Ricky Gervais. He was brilliant on the Golden Globes. As he always is. I loved the BBC Office and I loved his David Brent character.

Comment by Janet – January 19, 2011 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This will be great! Maybe Gervais will be on the show regularly after Carell leaves, which would be awesome I love him. Loved him on the Globes he was spot on.

Comment by Kim – January 19, 2011 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope he isn’t going to be Michael’s replacement…

Comment by kelly – January 19, 2011 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Ricky G!!! I hope he is on the show!!

Comment by Jamie – January 19, 2011 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People are forgetting that in the British Christmas Specials, he wasn’t working for the company anymore. Gareth was the boss.

Comment by Kevin – January 19, 2011 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • David Brent did work at Wernham Hogg, but was fired/made redundant… maybe he’s trying to get back into the paper industry with a new company?

Comment by Zmacks – January 19, 2011 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • uhmm .. Steve Carell as Michael Scott , makes the show . I think the show is gonna go down hill after Carell is done . He is the total comedy , and once he’s done , the show is done . Yeah , maybe a few years ago , with all the pranks and comedy , it may have worked , but not now . Bring some more of the other employees doing comedy , and it may work .

Comment by Zach Becker – January 19, 2011 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Couldn’t agree more.Steve is the SHOW!they’ve tried to swing stories to focus around other characters and it fails to be funny or work.. Gervais has a laugh like a 11 year old school girl..Sadly this is the only humor I find in him and its because its Obnoxious and ANNOYING! Wade.

Comment by Wade Gruber – January 19, 2011 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’ll probably be applying for Micheal’s Job. However he won’t be able to get it, because its supposed to be just a one episode thing. I just hope that the character remains basically exactly the same, and not some mishmash of the old David Brent and Micheal Scott.

Comment by Gerrit – January 19, 2011 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RickyG as a regular on the office would be a brilliant move.He should be the new boss on the OFFICE

Comment by Doug – January 19, 2011 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best news I’ve heard all day.

Comment by Cathy – January 19, 2011 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This will likely be as an interviewed candidate (or permanent replacement, yippee!) for when Steve Carrell/Michael Scott leaves the show.

Comment by Benny – January 19, 2011 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVED him on the Golden Globes. I watched it because of him. He wasn’t nice, but he wasn’t supposed to be. I would love to see him take over as manager at the Office. Lordy, I’d never miss it like I sometimes do now.

Comment by Becky – January 19, 2011 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cannot wait!!!!

Comment by Emma Peel – January 19, 2011 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was prophesied that when Rickey Gervais was on The Office US version it would be the final season.

Comment by Alan Lomax – January 19, 2011 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For Most of the ppl here , firstly : PL. WATCH the UK version first,, I am a big fan of Steve .. I tht he was amazing as Michael Scott.

Then, Yesterday, I sat to watch the 12 episodes, in the UK version.. MAN ! I was laughing like hell.. Ricky Gervais is even more natural than Steve , as Steve himself accepts ..

If he comes back to the show, I’d definitely not consider not watching the show after Steve quits !

Comment by Upen – January 19, 2011 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that Ricky Gervais should become Michael Scott’s replacement at Dunder Mifflin – it would be so fitting – and he has that subtle, finely tuned humor that would definitely add to the show.

Comment by Kelcon – January 19, 2011 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Bethany – January 19, 2011 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally, Ricky and Steve on screen for the first time in “The Office”. Should be great. But Ricky shouldn’t replace Steve when his contract is up. Ricky already played that role. To me, I believe there is only person worthy of replacing Steve, Stephen Colbert! They both came from The Daily Show w/ Jon Stewart, they’re at the same comedic level. So, make it happen, NBC.

Comment by Dave – January 19, 2011 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I CAN’T WAIT!!!!

Comment by Emily – January 19, 2011 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bye Bye Steve Carell. Dont let the door hit you in the ass as you leave I think it would be freaking hilarious to have Ricky do a stint on the show and completely outclass his American counterpart. I’m more saddened by Regis’ departure than I ever will be over Mr Carell

Comment by Mikeypoppins – January 19, 2011 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A showdown between Gareth Keenan and Dwight Schrute would also be sweet! Which “Assistant to the Regional Manager” would reign supreme?

Comment by IndyR – January 19, 2011 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ricky Gervais is a genious. He’s being treated like the only person who has poked fun at well deserving candidates. His role in American The Office would be the icing on the cake! Ricky has my vote!

Comment by Reece – January 19, 2011 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • how sweet would it be if a Zach Galifianakis, or Paul Rudd got the job

Comment by david – January 19, 2011 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY! :D Best scoop ever! I’ve wanted this for years! I love both versions of The Office, and always wanted them to cross over. And when I first heard so long ago that Steve Carell was leaving and they were thinking about who would take over, I automatically thought of Ricky Gervais! Even though I don’t think that’ll happen, and I think this is just a cameo, it’s still amazing news that makes me super happy! I wouldn’t miss this episode for anything! I’m so excited! :D

Comment by Casey – January 19, 2011 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Will Ferrell or Seth Rogen

Comment by zach jones – January 19, 2011 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I secretly hope that this is a way to have him take Carell’s place when he leaves..it would totally save the show and make it a huge hit, once more.

Comment by Sandy – January 19, 2011 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love it! I can already feel the tension between the two smarmy moronic office bosses, not to mention the two actors on screen at the same time.

I can’t wait to see Jim Halpert’s expression following David Brent’s first idiotic line.

Comment by Jeffrey Gunn – January 19, 2011 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ricky who? Don’t care to much about Ricky Gervais, i understand he’s the exec and all, but Greg Daniels is why The Office is so dang hillarious!!! anyways, I have the prefect candidate who could fill Michael Scott’s shoes, John Michael Higgins loved him in “A Mighty Wind” and since he has somewhat of a musical talent. I would love to see him jam with the boys from Scranton!!

Comment by rawdiggy – January 19, 2011 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best news of 2011 yet!!!
    I knew that he might do something like this. I wonder if anyone else from Warnham Hogg will be there with him. Please be a full episode and not just a quick cameo appearance.
    Brent IS the Office people wake up and watch the original. British comedy is very high brow, it does go over alot of people’s heads.

Comment by Gavin – January 19, 2011 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Steve Carell is awful as Michael Scott and a terrible actor overall. If this is true, and Gervais comes to the Office, then I might actually watch it for the first time since season one.

Comment by Todd B. – January 19, 2011 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post