Exclusive

Exclusive: Fox's High-Profile Bones Spinoff Lands Michael Clarke Duncan

Fox’s proposed Bones spinoff is starting to take shape with the first piece of casting — and it’s a big one.

Michael Clarke Duncan has been tapped to co-star in the project, which will be introduced in Episode 19 this season. The spinoff, based on The Locator series of two books written by Richard Greener, centers on Walter Sherman aka “the Locator” (the role is still being cast), a former military policeman who can find anything. Duncan will play Walter’s partner Leo, a tough, raw-hide cowboy philosopher.

This marks the first regular TV gig for Duncan, repped by APA and Industry, who best known for his Oscar-nominated role in The Green Mile.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, News, Scoop, Uncategorized

1. Scott says:

I’m surprised that this would be his first regular TV gig, he’s a fine actor and I’m sure lots of people will tune in to see him regularly. I would love to see what Booth makes of him.

However, the obvious question remains, are there going to be any crossovers between this new show and Bones?

2. Ezza says:

Would love love love to see Jason Wiles aka Bosco from Third Watch cast in this role!

3. PopCulture Girl says:

Not familiar with the books, but I’d love to see Joe Flanigan on TV again. Former military policeman sounds right up his alley.

4. Sera says:

@PCG – I agree with you, I’d love to see Joe F on TV again, this sounds like his kind of role.

5. GeeMa says:

Yes for Joe Flanigan. Miss seeing him on TV and this seems like it could be a good fit.

6. Colleen S says:

I agree with all of the votes for Joe Flanigan. He is a very good actor. So powers that be please pick Joe.

7. Katy says:

Just reading that over and all I can say is “Joe Flanigan”. He’d be perfect for the lead. And he’s got experience working with huge men from his SGA days, LOL

8. Mari says:

Excellent this sounds like something I will totally tune into!

9. Em says:

Joe Flanigan for this role please!

10. Myra says:

Have to agree with Joe Flanigan!! Would love to see him on a regulare show again. That said, I’m confused. If the show/character/whatever is being introduced on Bones Ep 19, wouldn’t there have to be an actor involved? Or are they just going to talk about it or talk to the “locator” on the phone or what?

11. Dave says:

@Myra – as I understand it, the plan is to debut the character in that episode, so they would have to find an actor pretty soon to achieve that. I know Michael Ausiello’s been talking about this “watcher” character for ages since his old gig, so I would guess that Fox must have had trouble finding a suitable actor, which has only been made more difficult by a similar role not working on House with Lucas the P.I.

But as you’ve all said, Joe Flanigan seems to be the man and with Stargate Atlantis seemingly done, it’d be a great new project for him to be involved with. Somebody call his agent!

12. JoanieC says:

Another yes please for Joe Flanigan to play the role. I think he would be great and has more of a history than just Atlantis. He was in Profiler and has done a lot of great guest spots in the likes of CSI Miami.

13. Louise S. says:

I think Joe Flanigan would be a great fit for this part. He can hold his own against anyone, and would make a great locator. He rocked Stargate Atlantis as Sheppard, and did a mean Thoughtcrimes and other similar roles.

14. Sera says:

Only problem with Joe that I can see is that he might be under contract obligations not to do another series till they find out whether CoP will be made into a series on Fox. I doubt that it will, given the ratings, but I sure hope that isn’t stopping him from auditioning for other roles. He’d be perfect for this one!

15. Suzie says:

I’m a Joe Flanigan fan and maybe I’m biased but I would love to see him in this type of role. I’ve watched everything he’s been in and Joe just brings something that keeps you mesmerized and it ain’t just his pretty face. ThoughtCrimes is one of my fav movies and he was fantastic in Profiler and Women’s Murder Club as FBI Agent John Ash as well. Stargate Atlantis was his shining role and I think that with his talent he deserves another chance to shine. I hope that he is considered for this role and has a shot at auditioning. I would definitely watch it!

• Dunnie says:

Like Suzie, I’m also a huge Joe Flanigan-fan, and though she already has said everything important, I simply want to add this:
      Joe Flanigan is an excellent actor with an outstanding talent and enormous potential, and you would make a big mistake if you miss taking a good and deep look at him. You do that, invite him for an audition, and I assure you that you’ve find the man you want for this role…

16. dinabr says:

I vote for Joe Flanigan

17. dinabr says:

I also vote for Joe Flanigan

18. Nic says:

I would have to agree that Joe Flanigan would be a good choice for this role. It would be great to have him back on our screens on a regular basis.

19. Mo says:

I have to say…I’m also a Joe Flanigan fan or Michael Shanks would be great as well! Both are very strong actors.

Oh yeah, if you need a beautiful, talented, smart blond to offset all that testosterone…AJ Cook (JJ from Criminal Minds) is available due to the numbskulls at CBS letting her go.

20. ameyer13 says:

I have been a Bones fan since the show first came out and it saddens me that it seems like the show is coming to an end. I watched the handsome David Boreanaz as he showed his fangs in Angel and then as the hilarious agent in Bones. Both Emily Deschanel and Boreanaz put on a fantastic performance and the chemistry is hypnotizing. So I don’t want to miss the final episodes as they come to their sad end even if it means putting in some extra effort on my part. I found out that I can get a little device called a Sling Adapter from work; Dish Network which will allow me to watch Bones and other classics when I’m away on business and unable to have the comfort of my couch. This little baby sends my TV to my iPhoen and that gives me the freedom I need and my entertainment too. I look forward to both actors careers going forward and I hope I’m happily surprised by the new characters they find themselves in. Alas all things must comes to an end but for me, I won’t be missing the final credits on this entertaining show.

• J says:

Man, I hate feeling dense; but I’m not sure how far this is going over my head. Are you saying we are in the midst of the final season of BONES? Dang! That’s the only show I must watch!

21. Phil Prince says:

Joe Flanagan and A.J. Cook hooking up for a Bones spinoff? That’s a show I could actually get excited about. I loved both of them in their previous roles, and I think they would be a perfect fit for the show, as well I think they would have better chemistry right off bat than Booth+Boones….

22. Colleen S says:

While I voted for Joe earlier I think it would be interesting to throw in MCD co star from The Green Mile. Doug Hutchison would bring a quirky and different take on the character.