Ricky Gervais Makes a Decision About Hosting Next Year's Golden Globes

Could the third time be the charm for polarizing Golden Globes host Ricky Gervais? Not if the outrageous Brit has anything to say about it.

Inviting Johnny Depp, Ashton Kutcher, certain Scientologists and other targets of his tangy tongue to breathe a collective sigh of relief, Gervais is of the mind that his last Globes gig is behind him.

“It doesn’t really matter [if the Hollywood Foreign Press wants me back] because I’m not going to do it anyway,” Gervais told a TMZ camera crew. “I think twice is enough.”

Gervais says he enjoyed his second turn at the podium “more than last year” — and despite some harsh reviews, he actually earned a thumbs-up from the HFPA.

“We loved the show. It was a lot of fun and obviously has a lot of people talking,” the Globes’ backers said in a statement cited by Deadline. “When you hire a comedian like Ricky Gervais, one expects in your face, sometimes outrageous material. Certainly, in this case, he pushed the envelope and occasionally went too far. The HFPA would never condone some of his personal remarks. Overall, however, the show was among the best we’ve ever had.”

Some speculated on Sunday night that, in the midst of an hour-long Gervais-free stretch of the awards show, the host had gotten the hook by disgruntled producers. Ricky, though, shrugged off that talk, saying in a statement, “I did every single introduction I was meant to,” cherry-picking the presenters “I had the best jokes for. (And who I knew had a good sense of humour).”

Do you agree with Ricky’s decision to get out while the getting is kinda good? Who would you pick to follow his caustic act?

1. George says:

i think that if he went again his material would not be as good.

2. Tom says:

Ricky Gervais for the epic win! This guy was f’en awesome! Perfect time to leave after that epic performance! Good job RICKY!

3. lll says:

I want Robert Downey Jr to be the next host))

• MV says:

Ha! My friends and I were saying the same thing! He would be perfect: charismatic, has a good sense of humour, despite a rocky past, is well-respected among his peers. Might have easily been the highlight of the evening.

4. Ben Phelps says:

I thought Gervais was great this year, but agree that he probably couldn’t top it next year. Best to get a new host

5. Jill says:

He may as well say he’s not interested so he can pretend it was HIS decision. I think it was clear by 8:05pm ET on Sunday night that he didn’t want to come back.

6. Bobbi says:

Very convenient decision on his part, no?

7. Esaul says:

I think Gervais did a fantastic job. I think people are just overreacting to absolutely nothing. He’s a comedian, what did you expect?

8. RGervFTW says:

Gervais is a genious. Well done, Ricky ;-). Can’t stop laughing every time I see your monologue at the introduction.

9. The Original Gator Hater Early Cuyler says:

Gervais was the best thing about the globes. I probably won’t be watching next year. Seeing an awards show that is clearly rigged is just a waste of time.

10. Lourdes says:

Good Riddance! I thought Ricky’s schtick was tired last year, but this year, he was not good AT ALL. I don’t mind him being irreverant, but at this year’s Globes he wasn’t funny or relevant, and I found that the energy of the show suffered as a result. I can’t believe that some forums are praising Ricky for having the temerity to be an unimaginative jerk – have people forgotten what “good” edgy comedians (like Chris Rock) are capable of?

• zarsamos says:

If I recall, good “edgy” comedians like Chris Rock are capable of toning down what makes them funny and boring us stiff at the Oscars.

11. Katie says:

I thought he was hilarious. All of his jokes got laughs from the audience and honestly I think it’s just shedding light onto which celebrities take themselves too seriously. I think it’s good that he’s going out with a bang. I hope they hire another comedian who isn’t planning on holding back. Robert Downey Jr. was really funny as a presenter, too.

12. Gavin says:

It seems to me that with the popularity of the “comedy central roasts” and the buzz from Ricky’s “mean” jokes, somebody would draw the obvious conclusion about what kind of host they need to get good ratings for their awards show.

13. Mykey716 says:

He’s decided not to return for a 3rd run? Who does he think he’s kidding? I am quite sure it was made crystal clear that this time was his LAST time. Last year he was very funny AND irreverent; this year he was rude, crude and, unfortunately NOT funny. His jokes were extremely cruel, homophobic and (again) not funny. I was so glad he was doing the GG again, since they are most enjoyable of the award shows. (And personally, the GG this year, were boring….kinda like the Oscars have been lately)