Regis Philbin Leaving Live!: Who Should Replace Him?

Regis Philbin announced on Tuesday morning that he will be leaving Live! With Regis and Kelly sometime this summer.

“It’s been a long time — 28 years since I’ve been here — and it was the biggest thrill of my life,” Reege, 79, said toward the end of Tuesday’s broadcast. “Everything must come to an end for certain people on camera. Especially certain old people.”

Philbin’s daytime run began in 1983 with The Morning Show, a New York City-area ABC talker. (I totally remember watching this during summers home from school.) Come 1985, Kathie Lee Gifford replaced Cyndy “Ex-Wife of Steve” Garvey as Philbin’s cohost, and not long after that the show went into national syndication.

A semi-polarizing personality prone to prattling on about her husband and kids, Gifford famously exited stage left in 2000, and a year later Kelly Ripa was called in from the soap opera ranks to partner with Philbin. For a short spell, “Pipa” juggled both All My Children (which taped down the street) and the daytime talker.

A three-time Emmy winner for his work, Philbin stressed that he won’t vanish into the ether once his Live! run ends. “I’m not retiring,” he said. “I am just moving on.”

During times when Regis went on breaks, Ripa shared the stage with such fellas as Anderson Cooper, Bryant Gumbel, Howie Mandel, Survivor host Jeff Probst, Mario Lopez, Pat Sajak and, of course, her hubby Mark Consuelos.

Who would you like to see claim Philbin’s chair this summer?

Comments (90)

• Neil Patrick Harris! He has such a great rapport with Kelly plus he has his new babies to talk about. The host chat is the best part of the show. HIMYM is set in NYC so they could move production to the East Coast and he could do both.

Comment by Jennifer Powell – January 18, 2011 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Her hubby Mark. Please no Ryan Secrast he is around way to much.

Comment by shelly – January 18, 2011 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mark Consuelos should defently replace him. I have alway been a fan of them two

Comment by NEK5552 – January 18, 2011 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why not Joel McHale? I know there is the different networks thing, but Joel is funny and gets along with virtually everyone. He may not want to do the talk show thing five days a week, but he would be a huge HIT when he is there…

Comment by Debbie – January 18, 2011 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anderson Cooper…but I hear he’s busy. Too bad.

Comment by Buddy – January 18, 2011 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wouldn’t that be awesome!!! But yeah – he has his own show coming out soon. Maybe if his show doesn’t work out….

Comment by AuntSassy – January 18, 2011 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anderson Cooper he is by far the best co-host that ever fills in for Regis. Bring on Anderson

Comment by Doreen – January 18, 2011 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • anyone besides her husband

Comment by Joe Jackson – January 18, 2011 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ricky Gervais!

Comment by Buster – January 18, 2011 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about Jeff Probst? I could look at him all day AND he is interesting.

Comment by Lola – January 18, 2011 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ashton Kutcher

Comment by jannwally – January 18, 2011 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I vote for Hugh Laurie…..but then he would have to leave HOUSE and that would be really bad. But, I do think he would be fantastic with Kelly and a great show host.

Comment by houseNcuddy – January 18, 2011 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I Like the idea of Pat Sajak, or someone from that generation. The Old vs Young dynamic of the show is part of what makes it so special.

I like the idea of Jeff Probst, but he would be gone too often and too long shooting who-knows-where for the next Survivor episodes.

Comment by ncmacasl – January 18, 2011 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey, now!

HANK KINGSLEY

Comment by Larry Sanders – January 18, 2011 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • meeeeeee!!!

Comment by Vi – January 18, 2011 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would like to see Neil Patrick Harris take over. He’s always been a very enjoyable guest host and he a Kelly seem to have a good chemistry!

Comment by Crystal – January 18, 2011 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • itll probably be the lopez guy, if i could wish anyone it would be… Trump, or what about a lady…like I hear oprah is looking for work….

Comment by hmmm – January 18, 2011 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anderson Cooper or Neil Patrick Harris. Love them both.

Comment by Lily – January 18, 2011 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • David Duchovny would be interesting.

Comment by Crashnet – January 18, 2011 10:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Greg Kelly!

Comment by Ronet – January 19, 2011 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would like to see Michael Ausiello replace Regis :)

Comment by MFuhrman – January 19, 2011 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tom Bergeron would be great.

Comment by Menda – January 19, 2011 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I REALLY like Jeff Probst or Mark.

Pat Sajak – too creepy
    Mario Lopez – too cheesy and too young
    Anderson Cooper – too busy and would never do it. Plus, he doesn’t play along with Gelman’s schtick.
    Howie Mandel – too annoying
    Bryant Gumbel – too smug

Honestly, I feel need someone older to fill Regis’ role and to still appeal to the older audience.

Comment by Nicole – January 19, 2011 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think they should stay in the crooner area. Regis is a wonderful singer. Someone like Michael Buble. Someone with ultimate class and style.

Comment by 30by30-mmd – January 21, 2011 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Has anyone thought about Niel Patrick Harris?

Comment by Mjb – January 22, 2011 06:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Its like you read my mind! You appear to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you can do with a few pics to drive the message home a bit, but other than that, this is magnificent blog. An excellent read. I will certainly be back.

Comment by Sade Hoysradt – February 8, 2011 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jerry Oconnell. He is a father and can relate with Kelly on children. Marrief to Recca Romanj? He had hosted before and he is so funny. They looked great together and have chemistry. Plus a host needs to be willing to try anything and Jerry in his movies has proven that! I truly believe Kelly and Jerry would make a GREAT TEAM! Very sad to see Regis leave :( been watching that show for 20 yrs or more. Good Luck Regis and Good Luck Gelman on finding replacement. Remember Jerry OConnell. :)

Comment by Kathryn Parham – September 1, 2011 07:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post