Life Unexpected Boss Promises 'Totally Happy Ending' to Tonight's Finale

Sigh. The day I’ve been dreading has arrived. But as much as it pains me to mutter the words “Life Unexpected finale” in the same sentence, the scoopage must go on.

So, Miss Liz Tigelaar, the loveliest showrunner in town, is here to chat all about tonight’s LUX sendoff, including a happy ending pinky-promise (yay!) and a Cate-Baze sendoff so sweet you can’t miss it (even bigger yay!)…

TVLINE | We’re sad about tonight’s Life Unexpected finale. How are you holding up?
Tigelaar: We’re bummed, but everyone is handling it well and moving on. We’re excited to get together to watch it. And we’ve all seen each other a lot. Britt [Robertson] was doing ADR recently and hung out with Shiri [Appleby]. Everyone was at the hospital when Kris [Polaha] and [his wife] Julianne Morris had their baby. Shiri and Emma [Caulfield] and I still hang out — we’re all still around. We’re trying to find Kerr [Smith], but he’s lost in Park City somewhere skiing. Everyone will stay close, but it’s not the same as working together.

TVLINE | What can fans expect from tonight’s finale?
Tigelaar: Anytime we’re getting into a later part of the season, it’s always ramping up to so much drama–everything’s coming to a head. So with the last two episodes any secrets that we have will be revealed, people will find out the truth about everything and a lot of things happen the really change the course of their lives. People are going to be really satisfied with the end. It certainly highlights that we were shut down early in terms of what we could have done with the show, but at the same time, I haven’t had anyone’s who has seen the finale have a response that’s not totally satisfied.

TVLINE | Give us a little breakdown of how tonight’s two-hour event is laid out.
Tigelaar: These episodes were never a two-parter. The finale, episode 13, was really setup to launch us into the back nine, but we ended up having to wrap it up in a different way. We didn’t completely alter 13, but the whole episode doesn’t feel happy; there’s humor, there’s major drama, the sh-t hits the fan in act four, everyone’s guts are on the table. The performances are really raw and emotional honest, and in the final, final, final moments of the show, it’s just happy and uplifting and emotional — I could cry just talking about it.

TVLINE | Were you able to wrap up each character’s storyline as well as you’d have liked to, had you been given more time?
Tigelaar: We definitely focus on the bigger characters, but if you go through every character on our show, everybody has their win and their victory and gets to where their character needed to be, even if it’s just in a subtle way. The finale really builds on the promise of the pilot, that this is a coming of age story for these adults and by the end, they’ve grown; they’ve become the grownups they needed to be.

TVLINE | Is it safe to say that LUX wraps up with a happy ending?
Tigelaar: It’s a totally happy ending. You’ll cry because you’re happy — there is no sad ending.

TVLINE | And finally, any parting words for Cate-Baze devotees? Hopes are high for these two!
Tigelaar:
There’s obviously so much more we would have wanted to do with Cate and Baze and so many more places we would want to get to. But if you’re a Cate and Baze fan, there’s no way you won’t be happy in the end.

On that squeeful note…don’t miss the two-hour Life Unexpected finale tonight at 8pm on the CW.

Be sure to say your sad so-longs to LUX in the comments!

1. Pedro says:

great!! wouldn’t miss it for the world!!!

2. Toni says:

I can’t wait to see what Ms. Tigelaar means about Cate and Baze fans being happy with the ending. I hope that’s true, because Cate and Base were the only ones keeping me watching as I was hoping they would find their way to each other (sorry Ryan). I’m excited about tonight and expect some really good Cate and Baze stuff. LOL.

3. The Kevster says:

I watched the show because I’ve worked with Shiri and love her to death and wanted her to have a monster hit. I ended up staying with the show because it was so wonderfully done up and down the line.

The tone of the show as so unique, and while it may not have been to everyone’s tastes, there was nothing like it on TV. Shonda Rimes in her wildest dreams couldn’t do a show this good.

I remain a new and huge fan of Ms. Tigelaar’s and wish her much success. Whatever she does next, I will be watching. And may Shiri’s next show be that monster hit.

4. Piper says:

love all the LUX stories/interviews i’ve been reading today. each one tells me a little something more about this show that i’ve grown to love & the people that made it possible. will miss this show oh so much :(

5. Allison N says:

Awww I can’t believe tonight is the last Tuesday with new Lux episodes! I will definitely be tuning in live, as should all fans, to show support for this amazing show.

6. James says:

so she basically ruined the ending for us then since we now know that Baze and Cate get together

7. Michael says:

Such a poignant series. Too bad it’s ending too song :|

8. dianaprince says:

Why was this show cancelled? Any chance of a late, hail-mary, pickup?

9. Cince says:

So sorry to see this show go. How is ‘One Tree Hill’ still on, yet LUX is gone?! Crazy!

10. James says:

once u see the ending u will know the series is not ever coming back

11. The Laura says:

That was so gut wrenching, and beautiful and I still have tears in my eyes…

12. Cassi says:

It is unfair that this show is comming to an end. It is a show lots of people can relate to in everyday life. There needs to be a season 3. Lux is an amazing,strong girl

13. Heather says:

Just watched the finale and STILL have tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat….. bittersweet. SOOOO happy with the last 10 minutes of the show. I thought it was wrapped up BRILLIANTLY and, in my opinion, everyone ended up exactly where I saw them. So sad to see it end though. One of my guilty pleasures on Tuesday night and I’m 28! Lol Best of luck to the cast and crew!

14. Jewls says:

I’m not sure how I feel about the ending. I think everyone ended up the way they should have but because we didn’t see it happen it seemed odd. You go from the heartfelt talk kate and ryan had to them being with other people…you go from baze finally getting over kate to being with her…you go from jones dating Tasha to being with Lux and tasha being totally cool with it. I get that it was 2 years down the line but for the viewer who has this season it mind it was such a drastic change in relationships.

Overall though I’m just bitter it is over. Oh ya, the Ducks reference was a bummer as well. GO BEAVS!

• eric says:

I hear what you are saying with the ending. It felt like it was tacked on after they found out it was basically canceled. But I’ll take that scene over it ending on a cliffhanger. This way I can buy the DVD and be satisfied. I was worried it would end like Popular did and leave it on a cliffhanger. I still won’t but that show on DVD because of how it ended.

• Lauren says:

I totally agree. It should be a requirement that if there is a chance that a show isn’t renewed, they have an ending made up so it ends happily for the fans. I was very happy with the end of Life Unexpected, because they resolved all the plot points. I would not have been happy if those final few minutes weren’t in it. I would have loved to see the build up to that though. I was so upset when Huge ended because I knew it wouldn’t be renewed and the ending was so sad and wrong.

15. frances says:

at first i wasn’t sure i would like this show, then i was hooked..sorry they ended it (all the good shows end too soon)but at least they gave us an actual fast forward to see where the characters end up. i hate when they end shows in limbo.

16. saroyan says:

This is my first year i visit there. I found consequently many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only person possessing every the pleasure near! Hold up the great work.