The TVLine-Up: TV Worth Watching This Week

Between the broadcast and cable networks, there are exactly 1 kajillion different things to watch this week. We’re here to tell you about 21 of ‘em.

MONDAY, JANUARY 17
8/7c | House (Fox) | Watch out, House, it’s a parent trap! Candice Bergen guest-stars as Cuddy’s mother. (Watch video here.)
8 pm | Chuck (NBC) | Welcome back to our favorite nerds! You were missed.
10 pm | Hawaii Five-0 (CBS) | Daniel Dae Kim’s Chin Ho bumps into his ex, played by Reiko Aylesworth. So many Lost memories for them share — a good 24 of ‘em, I’d say.

House Romance Crisis: Can ‘Huddy’ Survive?

TUESDAY, JANUARY 18
8/7c | NCIS (CBS) |
Hi, Bob… Newhart.
8 pm | Life Unexpected (The CW) | Tears expected. The charming yet undersampled CW series draws to an end with a two-hour finale.
10 pm | Parenthood (NBC) | Sarah stresses out over Drew’s wrapping-paper fundraiser. Been there, done that, bought eight rolls from my own munchkins.
10 pm | The Good Wife (CBS) | Series cocreator Robert King told TVLine that this is a critical episode with regards to Diane’s plan to split off into her own firm. I smell a twist!
10 pm | White Collar (USA Network) | Is Mozzie still with us…? [Gulp] As you ponder that, stay tuned to TVLine for an exclusive, rollicking side-by-side Q&A with both Matt Bomer and Tim DeKay.

Lost‘s Michael Emerson to Guest on Parenthood

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 19
8/7c | American Idol (Fox) | At long last, Season 10 and its slew of changes is upon us. Me, I’m just thanking our lucky stars that we have No. 1 Idol Loonie Michael Slezak to tell us how it is every week.
9 pm | Modern Family (ABC) | If you don’t know about The Scene at the heart of this week’s ep, I’m not about to spoil it here. We saw it at TCA last week and it is riotous. Now excuse me as I go wash my eyes.
9 pm | Criminal Minds (CBS) | Reid is suffering mysterious headaches and hallucinations… and so am I after polishing off that medium pouch of peanut butter M&Ms in one sitting.

New American Idol Crew: ‘We’re Taking It Up a Notch’

THURSDAY, JANUARY 20
8/7c | The Big Bang Theory (CBS) | Guest-casting this CBS hitcom can be a tall order — especially when you tap NBA star Rick Fox to play Bernadette’s supersized ex. (Awesome photo here.)
8 pm | Community (NBC) | Theo Huxtable is in the house, as we meet Shirley’s ex-husband (played by former Cosby kid Malcolm Jamal Warner).
9 pm | Bones (Fox) | New time slot! Booth says too much! New time slot!
9 pm | Royal Pains (USA Network) | Guest stars for the winter run include Amy Sedaris (Strangers With Candy), Jim Gaffigan (My Boys), Gilles Marini (seemingly everything these days) and Julianne Nicholson (Law & Order: CI). And of course “The Fonz” (whom I met the other day!) will return.
9:30 pm | Parks and Recreation (NBC) | Finally, the peeps of Pawnee are back. Now watch as Leslie clumsily coerces Ann into seducing more funding out of Rob Lowe. (I know what the ladies out there are thinking: “Tough job, but….”)
10 pm | Fairly Legal (USA Network) | Life‘s stunning Sarah Shahi stars as a lawyer-turned-mediator; Battlestar alum Michael Trucco is her equally telegenic ex.

Bones Exclusive: Booth/Brennan Season-Ending Romance Subject of ‘Spirited Debate,’ Says Boss

FRIDAY, JANUARY 21
8/7c | Medium (CBS) | In the series finale, Allison and Joe’s new careers threaten to pull them in separate directions. She didn’t see this coming?
9 pm | Fringe (Fox) | Great Scott! The spook-tacular series dives into its new time slot with guest star Christopher Lloyd. I better see 1.21 gigaviewers show up.

Fringe On Fridays Will Be A Fringe ‘Unhinged,’ Says J.J. Abrams

SUNDAY, JANUARY 22
3/2c | NFC Championship (Fox) | The Packers and Bears slug it out to see who will face my New York Jets in the Super Bowl on Feb. 6.
6:30 pm | AFC Championship (CBS) | The Jets take the final, requisite step toward Super Bowl XLV.

Which of the above is must-see TV for you? And by all means, hit the Comments to make tune-in suggestions of your own!

Comments (45)

• Definitely will be watching Fringe. Will follow it whatever day and timeslot.

Comment by cortexifan – January 17, 2011 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe Friday is the MUST see TV night.

Comment by Aimee – January 17, 2011 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m kind of looking forward to checking out Harry’s Law tonight. Kathy Bates is always worth watching.

Comment by reb – January 17, 2011 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES Chuck is back!

Comment by Jones19 – January 17, 2011 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aw, come on… show Life Unexpected just a little bit of love, who doesn’t enjoy watching a train wreck each week??? I for one love it.

Comment by The Laura – January 17, 2011 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LUX was a complete oversight – I took for granted that CW was otherwise in repeat mode all week. LUX’s 2-hour finale has been added in!

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – January 17, 2011 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LUX! I’ll miss it, I’m sure this finale will make me cry buckets. Good to know that Baze has a deal with a network (CBS?) and will hopefully make it back on my tv.

Comment by Trish – January 17, 2011 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • THANKS :)

Comment by The Laura – January 18, 2011 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for NCIS

Comment by jennifer6973 – January 17, 2011 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking forward to Harry’s Law, but what i most look forward too every week is Parenthood!

Comment by Rachel – January 17, 2011 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone know when Human Target returns or on what night it will now broadcast?

Comment by mdaily – January 17, 2011 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • HUMAN TARGET returns Monday, January 31, at 8/7c.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – January 17, 2011 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • housssse. it’s been 7 weeks, and i’m ready. also, excited for bones, too.

Comment by theresa – January 17, 2011 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey what about Royal Pains & Faily Legal on Thursday. Royal Pains is back and Fairly Legal is premiering.

Comment by @a_terry – January 17, 2011 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good catch; both have been added (including a link to my TwitPic with HW!)

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – January 17, 2011 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thanks for adding Royal Pains & Fairly Legal with all of that great info. HW seems like a great guy.

Comment by @a_terry – January 17, 2011 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s about freakin’ time for Parks & Rec to come back! Yesss! :D

Comment by Liv – January 17, 2011 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • WooooHooooo!

Comment by Leon Redbone – January 18, 2011 01:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As far as I know Human Target is staying on Wednesdays, it’s just going away for awhile while American Idol has it’s two hour episodes it always starts with, but I could be wrong.

Comment by Emteem – January 17, 2011 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll never understand why Parenthood hasn’t made this list yet. Last week’s episode? Amazing! Lauren Graham + Mae Whitman = perfect scenes. And yet, if I were to go by this list I wouldn’t even know that. I feel like The Good Wife is in every other article TV Line writes. It kind of sucks Parenthood doesn’t get the recognition it deserves.

Comment by Carrie – January 17, 2011 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are completely right; PARENTHOOD has been added.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – January 17, 2011 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t forget about Being Human on syfy tonight!

Comment by Sarah – January 17, 2011 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Skins????

Comment by Alexa – January 17, 2011 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Bones, but you listed the wrong episode!

Comment by Marie-Eve – January 17, 2011 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about MIKE AND MOLLY! I LOVE that show :D its soo great! ^-^ My whole family watches it. Sux that Castle is a rerun :< I am also going to be watching White Collar, Fairly Legal and Royal Pains.

One thing: The Gravedigger episode has been pushed back to Jan 27th (per the Fox press release out on the 14th) I am disappointed at the switching of these two episodes. This week is "The Body in the Bag."

Comment by EveDallas – January 17, 2011 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, bummer about the switch. I got all these great quotes from Emily D about the episode (a week ago), to drum up business for the time slot change. Oh well. I’ll cook up a new angle ;)

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – January 17, 2011 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck, Community, Parks and Rec, Fringe, and Da Bears.

Comment by Chris – January 17, 2011 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Some of my faves are back – Chuck, White Collar, Royal Pains, Parks & Rec and Fringe – WOO HOO!

I’ll check out Fairly Legal and yummy Michael Trucco.

While I feel it’s time to say goodbye to Medium, I’ll still miss the Dubois family, especially Joe.

Comment by Lorie – January 17, 2011 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CHUCK! Also excited for Community coming back, if only for the Cosby sweater (teehee). Although I’m ecstatic Chang is finally in an episode and Duncan is also in it. Oh and I can’t forget Rich! I have seriously been deprived of Chuck and Community this past month.

Comment by Becca – January 17, 2011 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Uhm forget parenthood, where is grey’s anatomy, private practice and off the map? Are they not showing this coming week? I’m sure they are.

Comment by Shuayb – January 17, 2011 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry, not even Candice Bergen is worth watching House anymore, not interested in the Huddy show. Who cares for Cuddy’s family?!?! This is HOUSE MD! Or it’s supposed to be.

Comment by Sam – January 17, 2011 11:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Good Wife, Bones + Medium

Comment by Ingmar – January 17, 2011 11:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just heard Jennifer Lopez”s version of “Venus” WOW! you’ve basically spat on Shocking Blue’s version & somehow made Bananarama’s one a classic.

Comment by dee123 – January 18, 2011 04:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m excited for Criminal Minds to come back and it’s even a Reid-centric episode. Those are the best kind. I love Matthew Gray Gubler. The list of things I’ll be watching this week is HUGE, but these picks are a fair representation. So sad to see LUX go.

Comment by Brandi – January 18, 2011 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YOU FORGOT BLUE BLOODS!!! Moves to Wednesday at 10 this week. AWESOME show!

Comment by JustMe – January 18, 2011 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What? No props to “Friday Night Lights”?! Only four episodes left!

Comment by the tenor – January 18, 2011 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jets to the Super Bowl? I beg to differ, Steeler nation will prevail. Steelers vs. Bears. Put in the books.

Comment by Jeremy – January 20, 2011 09:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking for SOMETHING on this website from Slezak about the series finale of Medium…. made me cry my eyes out and I LOVED it.

Comment by ChristineOH – January 23, 2011 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it good fot me

Comment by ayeniifeoluwaoladeji – October 3, 2013 05:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post