Lie To Me Star: There's 'Truth' Within Cal and Gillian's Teasing

Last week, in the middle of an otherwise entertaining episode of Fox’s Lie To Me (Mondays at 9/8c), a provocative exchange took place as Cal and Gillian discussed a divorce case.

CAL
I couldn’t even get near you when you were on the rebound.

GILLIAN
Maybe you didn’t try hard enough.

CAL

Are you saying that I had a chance?

To say that the flirty overtones launched fans into a tizzy is putting it mildly. Even series star Kelli Williams got a kick out of it.

“I know!” the actress remarked to TVLine when we inquired about the exchange. “We do enjoy teasing each other that way.”

Well yes, but is it simply teasing? Or might Gillian have blurted out a bit of truth as to how she kept Cal (played by Tim Roth) at arm’s length after the end of her last relationship?

“Possibly…,” Williams allows with a big smile. “I think they joke around a lot, and yet there’s truth within those jokes.”

Williams said that the delicious dialogue “might” be planting a seed for the future, but as with many an actor deposited into one of TV’s “Will They?/Won’t They?” dynamics, she questions the long-term entertainment value of happily ever after.

“Let’s say they do love each other, and that comes to fruition. Well, then what?” she asks. “Then they have a regular relationship? Do we watch television for regular relationships?”

Whatever the writers’ agenda is, Williams knows one thing for sure: “It’s certainly fun to play those scenes with Tim!”

1. Victoria says:

This is a great little interview! Thanks so much!

2. Celeste says:

Thanks so much for this interview. It’s exciting to watch Lie To Me & see the Cal/Gillian relationship unfold. This show deserves heaps more publicity..thanks for doing so. I’m a grateful fan.

3. Mikaylah says:

I think Cal and Gillian have one of those perfectly unique relationships that wouldn’t fizzle if they did get together. I hope to see more development of their romantic feelings, as well as the depths of their friendship.

4. Kristen says:

I think Cal and Gillian have one of those rare TV relationships, where because they were such good friends first, if they get together, (AND I HOPE THEY DO) it won’t ruin anything! They have such a playful relationship! Things wouldn’t change between them, they would only get better.

5. Meredith44 says:

Honestly? I would love to see it shown this season, as odds are not looking good for the show to be renewed for next season, so it is unlikely the relationship would have a chance to get stale. I do like the flirty banter, though, so I’ll settle for that.

6. Moviefan2 says:

Lie To Me is a great show! Again, FOX gets rid of the good ones and keeps cr** like, Million Dollar Money Drop,So You Think You Can Dance, etc.
    Hopefully Lie To Me will be back. I already miss The Good Guys. Won’t FOX ever learn? I really hope USA Network picks up more of these shows that Fox drops. USA has it right; doing the shortened seasons and having more shows.

7. Tek says:

I love LTM and hope that Fox doesn’t cancel it. I’m still burned by NBC canceling Earl without wrapping things up so I watch very few new series. Wake up and see the Lightman!!!!

8. Spag says:

I love the show, and I love the flirtation shared between these two, but honestly, I would be so disappointed if they were to get together. I think the chemistry between them exists mostly in that space between friendship and romance, and if they were to go completely one way or the other with it, something truly special would be lost.

9. Anna says:

Thanks for this interview! I love Lie to Me, and the banter between Cal and Gillian is pretty much my favorite thing in the episodes. It’s so much fun to watch. I kind of do hope that they end up together eventually, but as long as FOX keeps the show on air, there’s no hurry.

10. Karl says:

Once a character gets going, it sort of takes on a life of its own. The dynamic between the two of them has to flow naturally, it can’t be forced one way or the other. Much like real life. almost like a representation of real life! only dramatic. then we would be really watching some tv! hold onto your seats!!!

11. marlaaa says:

Think X-files. They can’t get together. It is part of why we watch the show. Fox & Scully didn’t get together untill that awful movie, but it was the best part! You get to say “I knew it!” But it can’t happen yet. It’ll remove an important part. Torres & Locher?… now that could happen (again).

12. MK says:

The TV show House seems to be working the regular relationship pretty well while still having entertaining drama. I don’t see why Lie to Me can’t make it work, too. I’m actually really glad to see Cuddy and House together, and their drama is still great. I’m in no rush to get Cal and Gillian together at the moment, but I’d definitely like to see it at some point during the show. I know it can work.

13. James says:

Haha yeah i was saying it from episode one, “they will most likely end up together”! I`m sure you guys might drag it out, keep us guessing for a while, then make us have to wait until the next season to see what happens. LOL

14. Tara Stanek says:

I say that they get together….and then what, you ask. Here’s what. Cal of course pisses Gillian off but then makes it up to her. Its working for the House/Cuddy relationship. The only thing different is…I think Cal has loved Gil for almost the whole time they’ve know each other and house, well has always been attracted to cuddy but its just now at the point where they love each other. So in other word….Cal bend over backwards for Gillian and she should take advantage of that fact. :) Now there’s some teasing.

15. sharon e says:

These r all great shows, but All In Their Own Way!!! So I say, Keep watching, enjoy & remember They will all keep us wondering & wanting 2 come back 4 more “If they r a good show”!!! We need more like them!!!

• Rebecca P says:

I agree, I think this show is the greatest and I wine when I don’t get to see it at the end of my day. I would love to see them be in a relationship scene and it would be fun to see what kind of words come out of their mouths then.

16. DDS says:

I think Cal’s daughter should be the one to advance a relationship with Gillian. Let’s say, she realizes that as she’s maturing that she is starting to believe she is developing the talents of Cal. She looks to the closest strong female figure that she sees most often, and develops a mentor/student relationship. Now Cal sits back and sees the dynamics play out between the two and starts to allow himself to think of Gillian as the wife and mother figure they might both need.

Furthering personal relationships, a little bump in the sexual tension, without the physical involvement, thus avoiding the “Moonlighting” curse.

Might work on Castle too. Naw, the shows are back to back, a bit too obvious.

17. Gail says:

Lie To Me is such a great show! There are so many possibilities for the writers to explore with all of the characters. I do feel that they need to explore more about the relationship between Cal and Gillian. There needs to be more consistency with the teasing and “hands on” in the relationship. There could be story lines about lies, with more interaction between them leading to their feelings past present and future. I think for the future of the show, the writers will have to give the fans some satisfaction in this category in a consistent way. Perhaps the network will see an increase in viewers if this were to happen. Their chemistry is just awesome and inviting to watch! Please give us season 4! Thanks Kelli for the interview.

18. nana says:

i’m french and i love this show and i think the relationship between cal and gil is very importante for the show and the people appreciate it a lot !! i love tim so much and kelli of course !!