Exclusive

Big Bang Love Scoop: 'Shamy' Is Heating Up!

Would you believe it if I told you that The Big Bang Theory bosses believe Sheldon (Jim Parsons) and Amy Farrah Fowler (Mayim Bialik) have “the most stable relationship of anyone of the show”?!

‘Tis true! Turns out there’s lots of fun ahead for the gawky lovebirds (and their equally geektastic friends), and Chuck Lorre and Bill Prady gabbed about it all last night at the Golden Globes…

“Sheldon and Amy are settling into a lovely Skype relationship,” Lorre laughs when asked what’s ahead for the quirky twosome. Adds Prady: “They’re often Skyping to each other — they really seem to have the most stable relationship of anyone of the show.”

OK, so Skyping doesn’t sound very hot, but this is Sheldon Cooper we’re talking about! Sounds pretty sexy now, right?

But what if Shamy was no more? Is there still room for now-series regular Mayim Bialik on BBT? Don’t worry, the big boss men assure us that Mayim is in it for the long haul. In fact, fans of Amy, Penny (Kaley Cuoco) and Bernadette’s (Melissa Rauch) newly-formed sisterhood can look forward to more femme fun in the coming weeks.

“The women really are starting to bond and Penny is really the odd duck because Bernadette and Amy are scientists,” Lorre tells TVLine. “So even among the women on the show, poor Kaley is playing the odd character out, which is wonderful. And, adds Prady, “Amy Farrah Fowler believes that she and Penny are best friends and we’ll see more of that ahead.”

On a more serious note, Wolowitz (Simon Helberg) is about to face the dilemma of a lifetime: mom or girlfriend?

Teases Lorre: “[Wolowitz] lives with his mother and it proves to be difficult on a relationship.” “Bernadette is going to put her foot down and make him pick,” Prady adds. Gasp! Will we lose the lovely offscreen vocal stylings of Mrs. W?! “Oh, don’t bet on it,” Prady laughs. “I don’t think that ever goes away.”

We’re Team Shamy, are you?

Give us your BBT reactions in the comments and don’t miss new episodes Thursdays at 8pm on CBS.

1. Kelly says:

OH GOD NO. Why are they doing this. UGH!

2. ladyhouston says:

Oh dear lord, why are they torturing us with this? Please stop the Shamy before it’s too late!

3. Dave says:

Personally, I’m glad to see Mayim Bialik on television again. Love the show, but would also love to see Penny and Leonard get back together, even if it would be awkward due to their off-screen interactions of the past. Simply put, more BBT please!!!

• Lea says:

I agree with you. I love Leonard and Penny and I like the Shamy, too. As long as they don’t have sex because that would be so OOC for both of them.

4. Kate says:

I hate Amy. She was interesting for an episode or two, but she has more than over stayed her welcome. I know they had to write Penny out for a few episodes when Kaley broke her leg so Amy filled a void, but now I wish they would get back to the original dynamic of the four guys and Penny with the occasional dose of Bernadette.

5. Cynthia says:

I love Mayim and she’s amazing at keeping up with Jim’s banter, but I’ve had enough of the Shamy relationship storyline. Away with you.

• don says:

yep i’ve loved Mayim since blossom she’s a great actress but i just don’t like her in this role. i understand for sheldon the producers wanted a plain girl who is intellectual but couldn’t they have at least picked someone who would have some sort of chemestry with sheldon? i mean there is no chemestry between them at all. none at all.

6. Nancy says:

I *love* Shamy! Glad we’ll be getting more.

7. Anthony says:

what happened to chuck lorre promising sheldon would stay asexual? i guess heteronormative relationships are the key to sustaining the largest audience but what about those who have been fans since the beginning?

• PV says:

well said. I too am disappointed by the forced sexual identity upon Sheldon and now Amy. Both of them have clearly stated they have no interest in romance or sex so why can’t they just be two friends? It is so heteronormative..ug.

Clearly the show didn’t need to do this. People have found Sheldon relatable since day 1 and the show has continued to get an even bigger audience, something that wasn’t because of the Shamy.

On the plus side though, I am enjoying the increased female presence on the show of Penny, Bernadette and Amy.

8. Toni says:

I really just can not stand Amy. Sorry. This is the LAST “relationship” I want to see progress on this show. Bleh.

9. Maggie says:

Can’t stand her. Tried to, but can’t. Why do we need a bad female copy of Sheldon, when we already of a Sheldon?

She’s just not funny. Keep Bernadette, but lose the Amy!

10. Stacy says:

It’s disappointing that Mayim Bialik became a regular. I’ve nothing against her, but her character sucks and kinda ruin the show for me.
    No more Amy, please. Seriously, the show was awesome with Penny and four nerdy guys. Leave it that way.

• Linda says:

I agree with you Stacy. Her character being added to show has kind of ruined it for me. I love the four guys and Penny. I would like to see more of Raj though. He’s my absolute favorite!!

11. Dominique says:

I’m Team Shenny, thanks very much. Or just Team Get Rid of Amy, that works too.
    Don’t understand why the producers think the fans like Amy, the majority hates that character and wants her off TBBT now.

• Stacy says:

Amen to that.

• ShennyFan says:

Me too! There are so many shenny shippers, that every day it seems less unlikely to happen. Let’s just hope that the writers see how many people think Shamy has had it and that Shenny would make everyone go “aww!”.

12. SaberJ says:

Less Amy, more Bernadett!

• tahonia says:

I agree with “more Bernadette”==Amy is just too painful to watch. Her total lack of social skills is more pitiful than funny. Mayim is doing a wonderful job as the character, but I’m not interested in seeing her grow. I like the interactions of the guys–lunch table scenes are probably my favorites.

13. Anne says:

I don’t see why anyone can be Team Shenny. They are definitely the brother/sister relationship of the show.

I like Amy/Sheldon. Hope they continue to build it.

14. Gusar says:

Do not like Amy. She is dragging the show down for me. I hope she won’t drag it down too much and make me lose all my enthusiasm for what is otherwise a brilliant show.

15. amy says:

I would be willing to bet $5 that everybody who “hates Amy” is actually a fervent Sheldon/Penny shipper who thinks that would happen if only Mayim Bialik went away, OR somebody who can embrace geeky-looking guys but thinks all women have to be gorgeous barbies to be worthy of interest.

• Helen says:

I’d bet far more than that.

• tahonia says:

I like the Leonard/Penny mix. I don’t need to have a “barbie” to find women interesting. It’s just that Amy is just so lacking in interaction skills that she makes Sheldon seem almost normal. I’m not sure what I would write as a perfect match for Sheldon–but definitely not someone that he would have to teach. I did enjoy the Sheldon/Amy argument about applied and theoretical physics. That worked.

• Beck says:

I’m anti-shamy but I’m in no way in favor of Sheldon and penny getting together. I just don’t think Amy adds anything positive to the show. It also feels like the more people they add to the show the further it gets away from the formula that made the show successful in the first place.

• Linda says:

I feel the same way. Although I do like Bernadette in the occasional episode, I definitely don’t like Amy or the Shamy relationship. If they go too far in this direction, they’re going to lose viewers and then the show will get cancelled.

• Michelle says:

I’m not a Shenny shipper. But if I were to ship Sheldon with someone, I’d want it to be someone with at least a few redeeming qualities. I just don’t care for Amy (no reflection on Mayim intended; it’s just the character).

16. Nicole says:

You know, I am actually digging the Shamy. As it is. Of course, I would give it up in an instant to have L/P back-they’re my biggest OTP, but if I could have both…

Though to clarify, I don’t want Shamy to be anything more than it is. I don’t want it to be an intimate, romantic relationship. But I do like what we have now.

Though being honest, I like P/B/A even more!

17. Lisa says:

I LOVE Amy and think she and Sheldon are just awkwardly wonderful together. I do wish we’d see Penny back with Leonard. The annoying part of this show is Raj’s stupid not being able to talk to women nonsense. Please fix that! It’s never been funny.

18. Sarah says:

We don’t need a girl version of Sheldon, Amy needs to go away.

Totally team Shenny.

19. Mimi says:

I’m definitely a Shenny shipper, but I really do love Amy and find her adorable. I don’t get the hate.

20. Latoya says:

ughhhhh! Please, no more Amy Farrah Fowler I mean yes, admit at first it was a good twist (to me) to see a female-like Sheldon cooper on the show, just to see how they’d interact. But we get it now. She’s really not entertaining to watch. She’s just a below par version of the real deal. I hope the directors re-think this!!!Oh ya, Bernadette can stay. But i agree with some people, I mainly enjoy the interaction between the 4 guys & Penny!

21. Lary says:

Team Shamy? Really? NEVER!

22. Tara says:

I agree with my sister. I love Shamy (hate Shenny, but that’s unrelated; I didn’t think I’d like Shamy and I’ve always been firmly Team L/P) and I’m glad to see more!

23. Britney says:

No thanks. I just don’t believe Mayim in the role at all, and I’m not looking forward to more of her. I kinda wish they’d ditch both of the new add ons and go back to S2 awesomeness.

• Nerdista says:

I couldn’t agree more! She is NOT believable. I liken her to Scrappy Doo. I love MB but her Amy is just painful.

24. Runa says:

Amy is my favorite character on the show. Bring on the Shamy!

25. mariadelpilar says:

Please get rid of Amy is BORING!

26. Chelsea says:

Shamy is my least favorite part of the show. I hope it ends this season.

27. graciie says:

GO AWAY SHAMY! it was hilarious for a few episodes but just gets repetitive now. and to the person who said all shamy haters are shenny shippers, i NEVER want to see that happen. Sheldon’s awesome without a “deal”.

28. kate says:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get rid of Amy. She is the worst character ever and proves every week what a tremendous actor Jim Parsons is because a lesser actor like herself shows what an annoying character she is.

29. Wes says:

I enjoy Amy on the show; she creates an interesting dynamic with the other actors.

30. Holly says:

I can not stand Amy!!! I tried so hard but she just isn’t funny! I feel like they writers are trying to hard to make her the female version of Sheldon but they are not succeeding.

31. EJ says:

I personally don’t like Amy. I wish they would get rid of her character.

32. Michelle says:

I love Mayim, I do, but I’m not a fan of Shamy. Or Amy in general, but particularly of Shamy. It was funny at first, but it’s gotten a little old. The character just isn’t likable. I’d like her to drop by once in a blue moon, but not as Sheldon’s girl-who-is-a-friend. More Bernadette, please.

33. patipatiti says:

UGGGGGGG i realy hate Shamy!! meaby because i am a little shenny jeje but i don´t like Amy, it´s ok for some chapters but not in a long term please!!!!

34. BK says:

I can’t stand the fact that the majority of viewer thinks a show is all about people hooking up. Hello ??? There is more to life (or a TV show) than love and relationships. Sheldon was not made for a relationship and if he should ever have one, it should be with an offsetting character like Penny.

The whole thing with Amy is just annoying (like the character itself) and sadly makes me like the show less.

Get rid of her.

• ShennyFan says:

I agree. It’s a comedy show, they should do unexpected things. It can’t get more unexpected than Shenny! Not even L/S would be so unexpected!

35. Kay says:

Please—no more Amy and definitely no more Shamy! Sorry, but Amy Farrah Fowler sucks the life out of any scene she’s in. I prefer the four guys and Penny with a dash of Leonard and Penny as a couple thrown in.

• Lalah says:

You nailed it, Kay! I agree with your comment that the character of Amy Fowler sucks the life out of the show. A comedy should actually be…FUNNY…and Amy Fowler does not cause the laughter or interest that the other characters provide. I find myself *yawning* and I never thought anything on TBBT would do that. :(

36. Brent says:

I love love love Shamy. And the prospect of seeing more interaction between Amy, Bernadette and Penny makes me so happy. I love Penny (the popular girl) actually being the odd man out, so to speak, even in her close circle of friends. It is a situation in which she probably has very little experience.

I don’t see Shamy as a sexual couple at all. They have both reiterated repeatedly that intercourse between the two of them is unthinkable, while at the same time toying with the thought of procreating. From their point of view the relationship is really one big science experiment.

I also find the idea that Amy is who Sheldon was when he first met Leonard and the boys to be incredibly insightful from the perspective of what Leonard has put up with over the years and also from the perspective of just how much Sheldon has grown, socially speaking. The fact that the 3 awkward nerds are actually teaching the ways of the world to somebody that is socially inept is hilarious. They are definitely not role models that most of us would want to have had when we were trying to figure out our place in society.

• Brent says:

More to the point. Anybody that hates Amy would have probably hated Sheldon had we been introduced to him at the same time that Leonard met him.

37. April says:

I actually like Amy. I don’t see her and Sheldon as romantic, but I like their friendship. Sheldon has someone who’s on his team, so to speak, and is as socially clueless as he is. I think Amy is a female mirror of Sheldon and I enjoy seeing how she reacts to things, including the girl-bonding. It’s what we’d get if Sheldon was a girl and I think she’s fun to watch.

38. Dawn says:

I’m team Shenny. But I like Amy’s character and interaction with the other characters.

39. belinda says:

Team Shenny all the freaking way. But I agree with Dawn, I do like Amy’s character and interaction with the other characters, and if the presence of her means more screentime for the 3 ladies, that’s awesome.

40. jlk says:

I like the idea of Amy, but I have a feeling they’re overdoing it, there’s too much of her.
    I’m strongly against ANY romantic relationship for Sheldon, ever. Something coitus-themed could be fun though, just like him driving a car etc.

41. kb says:

I love the relationship between sheldon and amy… I want then to really get together! HOW CUTE! love it love it love it.

42. kb says:

lenard is just annoying.. and a giant vagina. I want to like him.. and most of the time I do, but he is just so whinny! GAH! But, I would like to see him and penny back together.. but he needs to grow a pair.

I do miss Penny and sheldon’S interactions though.

I would have to say that Amy is a bit annoying with some of her comments, but i am pretty sure that is the point. I love the Shamey and I think it would be adorable if they slowly started to have a real relationship.

43. Alcubbies says:

Amy’s character could be fun if played by a better actor. The current actor has not created anything interesting out of the situation. Maybe the writer’s need to give her some relatable interests, like the love of scifi and comic books for the guys.

• don says:

“”Maybe the writer’s need to give her some relatable interests, like the love of scifi and comic books for the guys.”

they tried that but they’re still boring.

44. Claire says:

There’s really something about Amy that bugs me. It’s not the actress, it’s not the “concept” of the character, it’s just how we’re forcefed with her. She was a cool twist for the finale of the 3rd season and the beginning of the 4th, but then she’s suddenly a part of the group and it’s kinda offputting. Moreover, I don’t think her character is really deep : it’s like Sheldon with breasts and without the cute and funny aspects of him. She looks like Sheldon in his worst days, and even there, she’s not as fun as he is. I don’t hate her per se, and I think that it’s interesting the way she interacts with Penny, with Berne, with Zack …, but I just don’t like the fact that she’s suddenly the most important recurring character, while Bernadette or Leslie would deserve to be seen more often than her.
    Most of all, I think that her not-very-loveable personality doesn’t work well with Shedlon : we don’t need another obnoxious character, we already have one. We learned to love Sheldon, but now Amy brings out the worst in him. Her presence also drove him away from Penny who, on the other side, brought out the best in him. I’m a Shenny shipper, and even if I know that it’s a very unlikely romantic pairing, I would at least settle for simple friendly interactions. But with Amy in the way, they don’t spend as much together as they did.
    If they want to keep Amy, I think that they should at least reduce her importance. And most of all, I don’t want to see a Shamy romantic relationship developed. That would definitively kill me.

45. Joe says:

Amy Farrah Fowler isnt funny at all and sounds like forced reading. Totally ruining the fourth season. She is getting waaaay too much exposure on the show. Was the best show, now soiled by the worst character ever.

46. Lalah says:

Arrgh! I do not know anyone who finds the Amy character as funny as the others…no offense intended to Mayim Bialik…but she is neither entertaining or beneficial to the show. Moreover, the writers should not attempt to push a character whose charisma and comedic value (if any) is far below the rest of the cast.

Mayim’s portrayal of Amy is stiff, formulaic and uninspired. The Mount Rushmore academy of drama works delightfully for actors for whom a stony countenance and deadpan delivery is an enhancement; but not well at all for a show whose ensemble cast provides highly individual, unique and cleverly developed characters.

MB just cannot carry this character. She is wonderful in other material but this is not a good fit. Please, oh gods of the sitcom heavens, do not ruin this fantastic show.

47. Meg says:

I hate Shamy!!! I’m a Shenny Shipper, all the way! Sheldon and Penny are MEANT TO BE!

• Ale says:

Do you have prooves that defend that statement? They can’t even stand each other ;)
      don’t get me wrong, i love penny, and i love sheldon, but the idea of them together is just gross. Incestuous :O

48. Liz says:

Amy is the worse character ever introduced to the show!!

The idea was interesting but lasted far too long! Amy slows down the pace of EVERY episode!

Season 4 has taken a downward spiral.

The original comic book and science humour has nearly been entirely lost and Big Bang Theory has become like any other flat-share show which we have all seen a thousand times before.

BRING BACK THE GOOD OLD BIG BANG THEORY!!!

49. Yani says:

I´m so diggin the Shamy!!! I really love Amy´s character and how she is making Sheldon a little bit more human. I mean, he is actually nice to her!
    I dont really understand how can there be people who want Sheldon to end up with Penny, I mean WTF? That would be almost like incest. They are like brother & sister!

50. Ren says:

wow I’m glad that I am not the only one who dislikes Amy. I knew it cant be just me!!! I’m not sure if its her character that I dislike or the actress that played her character…. I don’t find her funny at all. And we already have Sheldon, we don’t need a female version of him. I agree with the others pls get rid of her or I’m not watching this show anymore!! Season 1-3 were great! Season 4 sucks so bad!! Sheldon+Penny’s interaction is way funnier and much more interesting than Sheldon+Amy!!!!