Exclusive

Exclusive: The Office To Introduce [Spoiler Alert]

The Office is going on a hiring spree.

With Steve Carell’s swan song rapidly approaching, Dunder Mifflin is getting some new blood — beginning with Stanley’s never-before-seen adult daughter.

Exec producer Greg Daniels confirms to TVLine exclusively that casting is underway for the recurring (and potentially series regular) role. (Stanley’s other daughter, Melissa, turned up in this season’s Take Your Daughter to Work-themed episode.) It’s one of several new characters the show will be introducing later this season.

“We’re trying to take Steve’s departure as an opportunity to shake things up and add some new characters,” says Daniels, who adds that Carell’s exit will also give the show’s supporting cast a chance to shine like never before. “They’ve been playing with this dynamic for so long… you kind of know how the stories are going to go. For Michael not to take up the A story in every episode means that a lot of them are getting the A stories now.”

Thoughts? Looking forward to Dunder Mifflin 2.0? Got casting tips for Stanley’s (presumably twentysomething) daughter? Hit the comments!

1. Sarahbeth says:

I hope they put some more Jim and Pam romance and pranks back in to the show!! Their dynamic was awesome and they never show it anymore!

• Jay says:

They’re married now, there is no romance lol

• cristah says:

Yeah. Jim and Pam can’t exactly flirt and make us wonder if they’re gonna get together anymore. But I do miss the pranks.

• Becky says:

@ Jay- As a married woman of almost 8 years I can safely say that while things are different, and always changing, as people always change then romance and love grows even deeper than before and better than I could have expected… flirting with my spouse is the best… Some things never change ;)- As for Pam and Jim, the writers are great and seem to keep coming up with new and interesting twists that married people (& with children can relate to) love The Office, We’ll miss Steve but are super excited to keep watching as changes are made! oxoxoxoxoxo

2. Entertainment2u-Twitter says:

The perfect opportunity to end this series comes with Carrell’s departure. Unfortunately, NBC and the show runners will try to milk this series far longer than they should.

• Lindsey says:

Sad but true. The show has run its course, and I wished a few seasons ago that it was cancelled. It’s no longer a must watch show, and I only watch out of loyalty. His departure is the perfect time to end it.

• Christina says:

YES, my thoughts exactly. It would be such a good ending, but instead they are going to give the show a slow and painful death. It won’t last more than a year without Michael, IMO. I don’t know what they think they’re doing… and why introducing more characters we’ve never seen before will help. Next year will already be season 8!! It’s more than run its course for a TV sitcom already.

3. Hank says:

The Office SUCKS NOW this year has been very disappointing. So over this show, it needs to be canceled now that Steve’s leaving. End the show on a high please!

• Nicole says:

Actually I totally disagree. While the show definitely waned in the last couple of years, I think there’s been a major improvement this year. It’s been funnier than it has been in a long time, and the feeling has reminded me a bit of earlier seasons. I’m sticking with optimism that the show will get a creative boost having to write for everyone without Michael and while I love Carrell, I’m looking forward to some Michael-free Office to see how the dynamic changes. To be honest, his character has been the most tiresome of the group in the last couple of years so I think things could improve once he’s gone.

4. Brock says:

I have NEVER understood why “Ryan” is a series regular and in the credits when he has huge lapses without even showing up. I know he’s a Producer, but we see Kelly, Angela and others waaaaay more.

Long as Meredith and Angela stay put, along with Jim and Pam I am happy!

5. brandy says:

I’ll miss Michael Scott, but he isn’t the sole reason for watching the show. I love this whole cast, and I’ll definitely keep watching.

6. ThatBob says:

In the words of the philosopher Kenny Rogers: “You gotta know when to hold ‘em, know when to fold ‘em…” Well, NBC, it’s time to fold this one. It should go out on a high with Carell instead of sputtering to an ignominious dead end a few seasons later. Too bad NBC’s development has been so poor that they can’t afford to let The Office come to its natural end. (Then again, CBS is doing the same thing with the sputtering CSI mothership, so who can blame poor NBC?)

7. CheechM says:

I disagree with a lot of the posts- I love the office and I think there are enough strong characters and personalities that done right this show could keep on. I would love to see some That’s So Raven!!!

8. J. Sylvester says:

I would love to see Aisha Tyler as Stanly’s daughter. She could even be a neurotic obsessive replacement for Michael. Stanly working for his daughter?

9. Justin says:

You know, I totally counted this show out for a long time when I heard Steve was leaving, but I think the supporting cast on this show is great, and always thought they were a little under-used. I actually find Michael Scott very annoying at times, and a damper on the rest of the cast. While I do think it should come to its natural end, this supporting cast is great and it could definitely continue to breathe new life into the show if they bump everyone up to series regulars.

10. JJ says:

Stanley’s daughter (and the whole bring-your-daughter-to-work day episode) was not this season. Maybe you were thinking of Daryl bringing his daughter in for Christmas?

11. dsaf says:

i think that steve carell leaving will make the show better

12. Matt says:

If she wasn’t on “The Defenders,” I’d suggest Jurnee Smollett, who is great at both comedy and drama.

All of the actresses I can think of (Regina Hall, Taraji P. Henson, Sanaa Lathan, Sharon Leal) are too old, though they all look younger than their age.

13. Rob J. says:

Looking forward to not watching The Office at the end of this season, whether it be due to the show’s much-needed series finale taking it off the air when it needs to go or due to my refusing to enable the second coming of Scrubs: Med School next fall.

14. beth says:

Jennifer Hudson to play Daughter Hudson. :)

15. cathy says:

What about gabrielle union?

16. Jason says:

People, are you insane? The Office is NBC’s highest-rated and most audience-affluent series. You actually believe it makes sense for them to just “end” the show, simply because an actor is leaving? Sure glad you’re not running a network. Sheesh.

17. Autopilot says:

Jason, should NBC have run Seinfeld for a few more years without Jerry? Cheers without Sam?

18. Eternal Clementine says:

I am actually so over the character Michael Scott that I am looking forward to the show without him, hoping that bringing some of the side characters to the forefront will actually renew the show to it’s comic greatness of seasons past.

19. flutiefan says:

i actually like the suggestion of Raven-Symone!

20. Gregg says:

Bring back Rashida Jones & have all of the original UK Office cast meet the US Office TV show cast members.

21. Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is a really well written article. I will make sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I’ll certainly return.

22. Dave says:

You and all of the others that say Michael is tiresome and not the sole reason for watching the show will watch the show be canceled. The show is almost unwatchable now. Andy Bernard might be the most obnoxious character on television. I cringe my teeth every time the camera pans to him. The show has lost everything. If they want a shot, they need to make Dwight and Creed co-managers. The other option is landing Zach Galifianakis as the new Dunder Mifflin boss. Otherwise, the show is done.