Gossip Girl Exclusive: Illeana Douglas Drops Out

Gossip Girl is back to square one in its search for Lily’s sister.

Illeana Douglas, who landed the role Lily’s older sibling Carol earlier this month, has dropped out due to a scheduling conflict. Producers are in the midst of recasting the character.

It’s too bad, because Douglas was the spitting image of Krysten Ritter, who originated the role during season 2′s big ’80s flashback episode (which also served as a backdoor pilot for the ill-fated GG spinoff).

What do you say you help out the Gossip gurus by recommending some suitable replacements for Douglas in the comments. I’ll get you started: I think they should offer the part to… er… nope, I got nothin’.

Comments (44)

• I can’t believe it! This sucks major monkey balls. I’m disappointed. This season has sucked royally.

Comment by Jasmine – January 15, 2011 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You don’t like season four?! It’s my favourite season so far!

Comment by Darius – January 15, 2011 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Justine Bateman

Comment by Alexis – January 15, 2011 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Disappointing news indeed…

Comment by Darius – January 15, 2011 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great idea — JUSTINE BATEMAN!

Comment by Ross – January 15, 2011 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m still hoping for a Melrose reunion so I’d say… Josie Bissett, Laura Leighton or… Heather Locklear?! Hahahah.

Comment by Darius – January 15, 2011 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Krysten Ritter actually looks a bit like Winona Ryder, but (a) Winona Ryder is younger than Kelly Rutherford and (b) I don’t think Gossip Girl could get her.

Comment by Jennifer – January 15, 2011 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think The CW should wait for this actress.
    I’m not majorly fussed with this storyline and would rather wait as she does look exactly like the original actor, just older, obviously.

Comment by Jamie – January 15, 2011 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think anyone is going to get better looks wise than Illeana Douglas for the role (in comparison to Krysten Ritter, but I think with some darker hair Stephanie Romanov would be a great choice.

Comment by Tonya – January 15, 2011 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Would love to see Stephanie Romanov back on tv! I loved her as Lilah on Angel!

Comment by Lilah – January 16, 2011 05:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sharon Lawrence?

Comment by jerry – January 15, 2011 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about Lena Olin ?

Comment by AStar – January 15, 2011 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Laura Leighton’s too busy with Pretty Little Liars, maybe Brooke Shields? I mean if Hannah Montana could get her, I think Gossip Girl could too.

Comment by Jordan – January 15, 2011 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Steve Buscemi.

Comment by ck – January 15, 2011 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Mackenzie Philips? I think she looks a lot like Krysten and Illeana

Comment by Rande – January 15, 2011 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Meryl Streep?

Comment by zeus – January 15, 2011 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • really?? i hope that was a joke…I love GG but dont think Meryl Streep even knows what Gossip Girl is. LOL

Comment by Reena – January 17, 2011 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would take the job if they gave me a nose job. Bet I could rock with the best of them.

Comment by Terri – January 15, 2011 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kristin Chenoweth! She is hot!

Comment by Josh – January 15, 2011 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And Kristin is the WRONG choice physically. Also, Carol is Lilly’s older sister.

Comment by b – January 15, 2011 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lena Olin is a top choice.

And, like an earlier poster – this is by far my fave season. katie Cassidy was exceptional. I hope she’s a Charlie’s Angel!

Comment by Brock – January 15, 2011 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kristin Davis or Sherilyn Fenn

Comment by M – January 15, 2011 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Debi Mazar!, I always thought that she should play Carol if they ever brought her to GG!

Comment by b – January 15, 2011 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Or, Aitana Sanchez-Gijon.

Comment by b – January 15, 2011 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kelly Rowen with a wig?

Comment by kim in Dallas – January 15, 2011 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • talking about a Melrose reunion: JAMIE LUNER!! my god that would be soooo awesome!!

Comment by Jenny – January 15, 2011 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh my god, YES! But Lily is older than Jamie. Brooke Langton (who played Samantha on Melrose) could also pull it off.

Comment by Darius – January 15, 2011 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Melanie Griffith – she could be an older sister to Lilly for sure!!

Comment by Robin – January 15, 2011 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 3 words: Julie Cooper Nichol, hopefully Josh Schwartz still has Melinda Clarke’s number.

Comment by dee123 – January 15, 2011 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES!!!! best idea ever.

Comment by mj – January 15, 2011 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’s too busy on Nikita unfortunately but oh my god, that would be incredible.

Comment by Darius – January 15, 2011 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lesli Kay is the right age and look.

Comment by drew – January 15, 2011 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lisa Edelstein or Jennifer Beals!

Comment by Amy – January 15, 2011 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Daphne Zuniga could be an option (although she’s been on OTH).
    They’ll probably end up casting someone from a daytime soap like they’ve done on many occasions. Same thing happened when Adrianne Palicki turned down the role of Raina and then they cast Tika Sumpter.

Comment by T – January 15, 2011 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yup, Justine Bateman would be a great option.
    Also Jessica Hecht

Comment by PLL – January 15, 2011 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “dropped out due to a scheduling conflict.” Seriously? Isn’t that something they should have figured out before signing her.

Comment by JC – January 15, 2011 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why not Florencia Lozano who was originally Eleanor Waldorf? Sort of makes it full circle.

Comment by Dan R. – January 16, 2011 04:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nicollette Sheridan!!

Comment by dee – January 16, 2011 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I say just bring back Krysten Ritter and age her…that is what makeup artist are for :D :D!!! Plus I think it will be super hard to replace her after the amazing job she did on the valley girls episode on Gossip Girl!!! COME ON YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO LOL!!!

Comment by PLEASE – January 16, 2011 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about Lizzy Caplan?

Comment by Ctbadger – January 17, 2011 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That lady who used to play Miss Dipesto, the secretary on Moonlighting.

Comment by Jason – January 17, 2011 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No, wait…Angelina Jolie.

Comment by Jason – January 17, 2011 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just because the actress is younger than Lily doesn’t mean she can’t do it, Shantel VanSanten is younger then Bethany Joy Galeotti and she plays Galeotti’s older sister on OTH, I think they should get Marisa Tomei.

Comment by Jordan – January 17, 2011 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post