Sarah Michelle Gellar Fronts CBS Drama Pilot

Get More: Casting News, News, Pilots

TV’s erstwhile Buffy Summers, Sarah Michelle Gellar, is poised for a return to the smaller screen as the star of a new CBS drama pilot.

Titled Ringer, the prospective new series revolves around a young woman on the run from the mob, Deadline reports. Hoping to elude her pursuers, she adopts the identity of her wealthy twin sister — but wouldn’t you know it, there’s a steep bounty on her sib’s life as well!

Gellar’s previous bid for a full-time TV return was The Wonderful Maladys, a pilot that HBO opted not to pick up in fall 2009. Since wrapping Buffy The Vampire Slayer in 2003, her film credits have included Scooby Doo 2, The Grudge and its sequel, and the indie Southland Tales.

Ringer was penned by Supernatural writer-producers Eric Charmelo and Nicole Snyder; ABC Studios, CBS TV Studios and Brillstein Entertainment Partners will coproduce.

Comments (29)

• Finally! It is a bout time Sarah Michelle Gellar returns to tv!

Comment by Rolfe – January 14, 2011 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen! We, her fans, have been waiting far too long. I only hope the scripts are worthy of her considerable acting talents. Welcome back!

Comment by chattypatra – January 14, 2011 10:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss SMG and hope she gets a good job soon! Not sure if I like the sound of this…. Is she in a different town each week (Highway to Heaven) or on the run full-time (Prison Break)…. We’ll see. I watch the pilot for her if it gets picked up… But that means little. I dumped The Whole Truth & Undercovers mighty fast and the Cape has one episode more to prove itself….

Comment by Brock – January 14, 2011 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • she was also in Veronika Decides to Die, based on the book with the same name by Paulo Coehlo. it’s a great book and was a fantastic movie!

Comment by Caitie – January 14, 2011 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh the movie came out? I did not know that. I really want to see it, loved the book/

Comment by lorna – January 14, 2011 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I guess you’re not going to be the next Charlie’s Angel.

Comment by Danielle – January 14, 2011 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Welcome back, SMG! Missed you on my TV. And this series sounds SUPER cool!

Comment by Ella – January 14, 2011 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best TV news all week! I’m on a Buffy marathon right now so I’m extra excited:)

Comment by Jones19 – January 14, 2011 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SMG SMG SMG SMG SMG……..damn. Too bad the pilot sounds full of fail. She needs a show, sadly this won’t be it.

Comment by Dorian – January 14, 2011 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ahh I cannot wait! Sarah has been gone from TV far too long!

Comment by Allison N – January 14, 2011 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! The plot sounds so awful, but I’ll watch just for Sarah.

Comment by Steven – January 14, 2011 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was just talking with some friends tonight how Sarah Michelle Gellar needs to have a comeback. I hope this works for her. <3

Comment by Brennan – January 14, 2011 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What they should do is bring back buffy show twilighters what real vamps look like..dont get me wrong i love #Supernatural like theres no tomorrow and i love sara but this doesnt sound like it will be any good bring back BUFFY at least for 1 more round.

Comment by Angela – January 14, 2011 10:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s a talented actress, but this plot sounds not so hot.

Comment by amy – January 14, 2011 10:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She is SO SO talented! Its about time…I mean, I know she was just being a mom, taking care of her little girl for the last few months but ITS ABOUT TIME. I cant wait!
    Lets just hope it gets picked up

Comment by Amber – January 14, 2011 11:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • talented actress

Comment by john – January 14, 2011 11:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank god she took her head out of her a** and realised she belongs on TV not the big screen. Now if someone could just tell Jennifer Aniston…

Comment by Kat – January 14, 2011 11:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait for it! I LOVE Sarah Michelle Gellar ever since I saw her amazing acting skills in “Buffy The Vampire Slayer”. Can’t wait to see her amazing ass on TV again :)

Comment by Quirino – January 14, 2011 11:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The plot sounds actually awful…

Comment by eliott256 – January 15, 2011 01:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! Can’t wait, i love her!

Comment by D. – January 15, 2011 02:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The plot sounds awful, but if it’s by the writers of Supernatural it’ll have a fantastic first season and then get steadily worse until by the fifth season you want to chew your own arm off just so you’ve got something to beat the tv with!!

Comment by Lindsay – January 15, 2011 04:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love her, but this does not sound promising…

Comment by CAM – January 15, 2011 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i Like the premise and i like SMJ, so i am gonnna watch this :)

Comment by dsafads – January 15, 2011 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited. I didn’t want The Wonderful Maladys to get picked up though because I don’t get HBO.

Comment by Walter – January 15, 2011 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should make the twins Bulgarian vampires.

Comment by Rob J. – January 15, 2011 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Buffy was amazing and everything, and she’s a fantastic actor, but the writing and plot on this show doesn’t raise my hopes.

Comment by kattoer – January 15, 2011 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not so jazzed about the premise, but I’m really looking forward to the show simply because of SMG.

Comment by Andrew – January 15, 2011 11:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • More love for SMG here. But CBS shows are virtually all Certifiably Boring Soporifics…

Comment by Juke Early – January 16, 2011 04:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is there confirmation that the pilot will air or is it just being made? Would love to see her back on TV & since CBS seems to be a network that can launch a new show this is great news…

Comment by Tanya – January 16, 2011 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post