Exclusive

House Exclusive: Thirteen's Fate Revealed!

Rumors of Thirteen’s imminent death have been greatly exaggerated.

Amidst deafening buzz that Olivia Wilde’s ailing alter ego will succumb to Huntington’s disease when she resurfaces later this season, series creator David Shore tells me that his plans for the actress extend beyond this season. This comes as Wilde’s movie has taken off during her time away from the Fox smash (during which she shot several films, including the big-budget sci-fi Western Cowboys & Aliens).

“That was kind of [our] plan: let her go away, become a giant movie star, and then she would come back and bring [all her new fans] with her,” says Shore with a laugh.

Although Shore has every expectation that Wilde will be return next fall, he concedes, “We’ll have to continue to work around her schedule a little bit. But it would be a crying shame for us to let her get away at this point. We’ve been very good to her and we’d like a little bit of it back.”

Ask Ausiello: Is another big breakup looming on House?

Regarding her much-speculated-about comeback this spring, Shore hints that “We have something very cool in mind. We’re writing an episode built largely around her return. I know [fans] are speculating about what happened to her during her absence, and I don’t want to rule anything out.”

Thoughts? Relieved you can count on Thirteen to be around for a while — particularly in light of Amber Tamblyn’s impending departure? Hit the comments!

1. Cata says:

WHYY??? I’m from argentina and i can’t belive it… why 13? I will miss her… she’s a great actress ;( but WHYYY???? :””'(

• chochy says:

creo q no entendiste nada…
      dice q 13 no muere en esta temporada…
      q son solo rumores…
      q x ahora al menos va a seguir hasta la proxima temporada inclusive…

2. Renee' says:

Thirteen is ok, but I really want Cameron back. That was such a bad way to take her off the show. And I hated that they dissolved her marriage for that reason. Sure, what Chase did was “wrong”, even though he was really saving 1000’s of lives by killing that guy, but it wasn’t something that Cameron should have divorced him over! I personally was disgusted when the writers had Chase ask Thirteen if she would have sex with him. Chase and Cameron’s marriage must have been pretty shallow – the way the writers have portrayed the characters – being able to throw it away so easily.

• Just me says:

You may have been disgusted but 13 and Cameron look alot alike. Now if I was in to girls, I’d “do” 13 in a heartbeat. That is one H O T woman!

• Jessica says:

i am into girls and i would do 13 in a heartbeat. she is way hotter than cameron. and in my opinion chase and thirteen should hav been dating instead of cameron and chase

• Summer says:

While I understand wanting Cameron back, you can’t really blame the writers for this. They had to work to rewrite things in a rush, because Jennifer Morrison chose to leave the show. She couldn’t handle working with Jesse Spencer anymore, and she made that decision. To blame the writers for her choice really isn’t fair, and she obviously isn’t coming back because she was the one that made the final call.

• Monica says:

Is that really the reason Jennifer Morrison left the show…due to Jesse Spencer? Was there a conflict of interest or did they have an actual relationship that went sour?

• Jessie says:

They were engaged. I don’t have the timeline in front of me, but I believe they called it off during the summer after they officially became a couple on the show. Talk about lousy timing. I suppose playing the wife of the guy she used to be engaged to wasn’t her cup of tea.

• Say WHAT? says:

Where in the world did you get your information? She didn’t choose to leave the show! The decision was made for her. Jennifer said Shore and Jacobs told her they had stopped writing for the character; she didn’t leave because she wanted to leave. According to Jesse, Jennifer, and their cast mates, everyone got along just fine and the broken engagement wasn’t an obstacle in their working together. All of this is well documented in interviews.

• RCSlyman says:

Are you kidding me? Cameron’s leaving completely was about the best thing to happen to the show. Honestly, I wish they would have “Blake’d” her, so that we’d never have the threat of her coming back (not wishing ill on the actress, mind you, I wish her a long and successful career… just not in this role, please!). The way she left was all too appropriate for the character, completely self-absorbed and unconcerned about anything but her own feelings, and how it affected her, and what it would mean to her.

• Rogue says:

Did you even watch the earlier seasons? Cameron and Chase’s marriage was doomed from the start, because Cameron never loved him. As it was, it started as casual sex, and that’s when Chase fell in love with her. She didn’t return the affections, and even when they were married – in the beginning anyway – Cameron still had a little thing for house. Cameron has consistently been a character of strong, albeit rudimentary, moral values. From day one, to the day they dissolved the marriage. That never changed. She could NEVER kill someone, no matter how terrible a person they were, or how much good it would do. She sees the world in black and white, and, again, that has been the case since the introduction of her character. It may not be a big deal to you, but it was something that Cameron, given her character and moral standing, could never forgive Chase for.

She got married for the wrong reasons, given her various misgivings and nearly calling it off, and when it came down to it, she just couldn’t accept Chase for the liberal he was. Chase couldn’t – with good reason, imo – live with someone who was constantly judging him. Chase loved Cameron, probably still does, but she will never be able to return that affection. When guys are rejected, the first thing they tend to turn to is casual sex. Has nothing to do with their marriage being, “shallow.”

• keke says:

I know what you mean, Cameron and Cutner characters were very important to the show and they both were written out very badly, on the other hand Amber character was not that big and she got one of the most memorable send off i’ve seen in tv. i just don’t understand it :/

• Laila says:

I disagree on Cameron or Kutner being very important to the show. Kutner was awesome though. I also thought his sendoff was a very moving piece.

3. housefan says:

i want old house back and i want him to do vicodin again

4. TK says:

She can sit on my face anytime!

5. Alfonzo January says:

Thirteen is fine guys,just create an episode were she will be cured from huntington’s disease,much to ask!! I think not we need hope,we need miracles,and let love between her and Forman go to the next level-marriage

• Atheist says:

we need thing to be real life is not a fairy tale good people die every day and the thing that makes house a good show is they keep it real.

• shannon says:

There is no cure for huntington’s disease

• Buddie says:

The is no cure for Huntinton’s Disease, so that’s not going to happen, but I hope they bring her back to show that Huntington patients can lead a productive life for a while.

6. Joy says:

Good!
    Glad to see Olivia coming back. Enjoyed her appearances elsewhere, but really like the dynamics between thirteen and House. Keep her around, even if she has to be out and about doing other projects (recuperating)”wink,wink”.

7. Alex says:

I love and miss thirteen!! Bring her back!

8. Scott says:

13 is just not a good character, I wish they would write her out of the show. Nothing about her is believable. Cameron was a much better fit.

9. prsngal says:

I have to agree. the writers did get a little sloppy on all of this. Cameron was a good character as well as 13 and the way they did it……….not sure. Will have to c when they come back if “House” can redem itself. This last season was not that great……….I hate to say

10. Jenna says:

Why are people calling Lisa Cuddy, Huddy? It is Cuddy. :/
    But I find Masters interesting, 13 would get a bit annoying sometimes but I did like her. But I like seeing Masters on the show because not all Doctors are like House,and his team, So its good to see a doctor with morals and ethnics work with House.

11. jen says:

i actually grew quite tired of cameron as the series went on. she started fresh-faced and obsessed with house, which was entertaining, but towards the end, she grew a “higher than thou” complex that was very off-putting and irritating. I never really understood the Cameron/Chase relationship. Chase needs someone stronger and more easy-going to fall in love with. and the new girl is more of an irritant than anything else. they are portraying her as a young med student, and she seems rather like a puppy, eager to please, but still wetting the carpet. can’t wait for 13 to come back! I also wish they would stop throwing the characters together in romantic relationships- they don’t seem to work well, but i love CUDDY!

• lorettaann says:

I agree totally. I got to the point where I couldn’t stand her. And I kinda love 13. The cast will remain great as long as they keep her, and Chase, and the other guy, can’t remember his name, the philanderer. Once Kuttner was gone for good, and I accepted that, I’m pretty much okay with changes.

• Keira says:

depends on the changes. i can deal with anyone leaving except Lisa Cuddy or James Wilson and House, of course. when you say philanderer that could fit either Taub or Chase, sadly.

12. Ian says:

House/Cuddy – it needs to change somehow, I don’t care how, it just needs to change. It bores me. House needs to be House.
    13/Cameron – YES! What a great idea, 13 and Cameron together. Forget about 13 and Chase or 13 and Forman. You want more viewers? Go with 13 and Cameron. Maybe even throw House into the mix. Now that’s gonna stir things up nicely!
    Maybe Chase could mix it up with Taub’s wife.

13. dan booth says:

hey, its nice to hear that thirteen is coming back… but what would be better is if david shore or who ever is in charge of the episodes at fox realized that if they don’t show new episodes in 2 months that people are going to find something else to watch and when they come back there fans wont!

• Diana Alderson says:

I totally agree with you, bringing 13 back is a good idea and maybe it will bring some new fans. However I for one won’t be a returning loyal fan, two months and no new shows only to have maybe two new ones and then re runs again… Sure way to lose you’re long time fans. You maybe a good show, but news flash there are other ones out there that don’t treat there fans like they are nothing!

• A.g says:

I agree with u Dan, House has kinda lost it’s allure with no new episodes.

• melissa says:

you do realize there is reruns of all the hit show its the HOLIDAYS actors need to have time off too

14. Phillecia says:

She’s pregnant

• Tracy Murray says:

I am thinking about that too , it will be interesting to see who is the father of Thirteen ‘s child , could be anybody , could be House ( if it was him , he would have had sex with her before the sixth season finale and before he and Cuddy got together ) . As a side note , to the person in the comment section who reminded us that Thirteen has Huntington’s , I think she will have a few more years to live , like two or three , it is only a TV show and sometimes , there is nothing wrong with a little artistic license if done right .

• Sara says:

I can’t remember where I heard it from, but it was mentioned that they might find out she actually doesn’t have Huntington’s and that’s why she would be coming back and for however long a time. I’m ecstatic that she is coming back, she’s a great character in the show.

15. Shelby says:

I’m SO excited to have her back. I just hope she won’t go back to Foreman, and will find a nice chick to be with. :D Or–bring Cameron back and have ‘em get together. Cameron always does like to fix broken people, and Remy’s about as broken as they come.

16. Rex says:

Haha.

Third paragraph: “…Wilde will be return next fall,” uses incorrect progressive aspect. There should be an “ing” connecting to “return” if you are going to have the auxiliary “be” verb in front of the main action. When complete, “Wilde will be returning…” will have a grammatically sound present progressive conditional verb structure.

Nerds of the world, unite!

• rajalexi says:

That is what happens when you write an article on a smart phone!

• Rex says:

Is this the unacknowledged face of shame that humanity wears when he or she leaves the house? A sad fate dawns ill when digital text cannot be comprehended by the masses, and the solemnity of mankind rests on stone and bramble. Vexed and hexed we are, but individualism is dead in a crumbling world that hides under the facade of humanity’s face. Woe is man. Vanity of all vanities!

No seriously, that’s really stupid. Ooh I’m gonna write an article, but have no paper with pen nor laptop. WAIT! I gotta smart phone.

That’s laziness.

17. shana says:

House has been my favorite show since the first episode! The writers&actors&directors r the BEST!
    13 was an awesome addition to this already awesome cast. I think the “big boys” that make the decisions r actor snobs&I’m so glad. That don’t take anyone, they require actual talent&class n their actors, writers, directors& it shows:) BEST SHOW EVER! Oh and Huge Lorey is my favorite actor, he’s so sexy&so good at what he does! He’s a bit older than me, I’m only 30 but if I ever get divorced&so does he, he’s my Target! Hehe

18. mell says:

I am a major fan of house. have watched it from the start and will continue to do so. I like the house and cuddy(NOT HUDDY)combo although I’d like to see more of the old house cuddy entanglement still. they were funnier in the past. you can still have that frustration between them and keep the relationship going. I miss there being more cracks from house on the team as well as the diagnostics of it. it seems to have gotten away from that aspect and need a bit more brought back. after all he is the top diagnostic doc so show us that again! i hate that cameron left. hers was the best female member of the team. i do think it’s kinda funny with the new ” i can’t lie” girl and house. but if they’re going to do that…spruce it up some make more cracks or something between her and house more lessons from house for her would be great! will keep watching like i always do but i agree it’s starting to get a little dull and too much character changing and old house needs to come back with a little of the new house appearing periodically.

19. sharebear says:

I can’t stand the Masters actress nor character. They need to bring back Cameron and 13. I’m getting bored with the show now that both are off it. Masters is just annoying.

20. Donna Czepczynski says:

I believe it will come down to that she was misdiagnosed and cured during the time period she was gone.

21. Amber says:

Cameron: As far as this character is concerned she has always been a back page character to me that they would bring in when they needed a “jimminy cricket” in the story or someone for them to be romantically involved with. Her being gone is no major loss.

13: This character seems to have more depth to her and comes off human not “holier than thou”. She gives Dr. House someone to butt heads with, Dr. Foreman a reason to NOT become more like Dr. House, and a woman’s point of view on things.

Cuddy: The relationship between Cuddy and Dr. House has been there under the surface since the beginning. Whether it works out or not is yet to be determined… It depends on whether Dr. House really wants it or not.

22. DR says:

Yes she can sit on mine as well!

23. Sirboy says:

sit on my face olivia :)

24. Asilee.com says:

I didn’t like Cameron she was too uptight to me. I’m glad 13 is coming back.

25. PJB says:

Thirteen is a “must” return…..Amber is awesome in a different way.

26. Julia says:

If you really do bring 13 back, please do not put her and Chase together ever! If you put 13 and Foreman back together, that’d be cool, but Chase needs to get Cameron back. A rebound with 13 would just be gross. I like House and Cuddy being together, though. Keep that part of the story. Finally House has the woman he’s loved for so long, and she loves him back.

27. tiffany galanos says:

Huntingtons disease is a very serious disease. there is no cure! no pill to subside it. real people, not 13, are dying from this disease. it runs in families. So stop with ur fantasies of 13 returning and she’s heal’d.. or the fight between her and cowrkers or lovers. Huntingston disease kills. remember that as u watch 13 fake die from something that is so real!! i hope all of House people go off the air from Huntingtons!!

• ZACHWIT says:

you obviously are upset about something. its a show… they are going to use real life diseases in it. saying something as stupid as i hope everyone gets huntingtons is just immature.

• Amanda says:

Yes, I agree. Posting such a horrible thing to say is completely immature. If you are preaching about how horrible the disease is, why are you hoping it happens to more people? And on a second note, if you don’t like the show, I have a cure for you. Don’t watch it.

• loyd adcock says:

i agree that huntingtons is a disastrous thing to have to deal with in real life. but!! house is a telivision show not life so chill out people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28. Montene says:

13’s character is very three dimensional – I miss her and would like to see her return. Comparing her to Cameron is like apples and oranges, no similarity at all. Cameron was one step away from a convent, annoyingly self-righteous. 13 is unpredictable and fearless and I think she adds an element of refreshing suspense to the show. Bring her back!

• roberson says:

Cameron is cute as hell and id do her any way she wanted.
      Thirteen is sexy as hell and id let her do me any way she wanted ;)

apples and oranges , nonetheless

29. Terry H says:

I would love for 13 to come back and explore Huntington’s more. My mother has the disease and is on a medicine that is very expensive, but helps a lot. Not a lot of people know about this disease, so thank you to House for bringing it to more people’s attention.

30. elle says:

1st off I thought her name was cudhay, more importantly, 13 is AWESOME and so is cameron. Cameron won’t be comming back though, she’s going to be on how I met your mother. Further more house and cuddays love thing is awesome but it will get better because we KNOW house can’t stay like this forever, he will inevitably f things up creating a better story for all. Duh.

31. Joe Dimaggio says:

I gave up on “House” at the beginning of the season. It’s lost everything that made it appealing in the first place.

The one thing I was actually happy to see what Cameron being gone. They should have stuck to the medical mystery stories and left all the personal relationship crap out of it.

That’s the same thing that ruined “Picket Fences”.

• Tamara says:

No offense but have you watched the episodes more than once? I had to write a paper on it and I went through and thoroughly documented the show’s storylines from the pilot on and they’ve had personal stuff from the beginning. They had the medical stuff as an ‘A’ storyline and then they’d always have a ‘B’ personal storyline and many times a ‘C’ personal one. It’s true. Go back and rewatch.

32. Christy says:

House and 13 together, or House and Cameron…And Cameron comes back a mother and it ends up being Houses…in the past lets say they had a night of drinks and whamo she got pregers..that would be interesting story line…oh the possibilties.

33. manda says:

when does this episode come on??

34. ViscountValmont says:

I actually like 13. I didn’t at first, but I never liked Cameron. I don’t mind her as an actress, I just don’t like her character. She’s whiny, annoying and self-righteous in a way that bothers me to no end in real life. She reminds me of this sort of “Jill Q Every-girl” that has endless ambition simply because she is a female trying to prove something, a solid resolve until she doesn’t, and believes every emotion she has is real until she changes her mind. It’s awful. But 13 is an interesting character. Once again, while this next fact used to bother me, it no longer does… and that is her looks. She is very “modernly” beautiful. Almost runway model-esque. I actually like this trait in her now as her character became more in depth, and as her portrayal of it fits well. I thought they might play her looks to the hilt, but they haven’t. She’s rarely scantily clad or slutted up, so I’m able to just enjoy her looks for what they are, not what they’re trying to be forced on me as. Her ambiguous sexuality and genetic illness are quirky pluses too. I am anticipating where she disappeared to and hope her return will continue to be an important piece of the show for me.

Oh, and FYI… I definitely do not agree that the show is old, slow, bad, boring, getting worse, etc, etc. That’s a load of crap. Yes, the show is formulaic. But it’s Hugh Laurie’s sense of wit and the story’s progression that keeps me watching.

• Eva says:

Eh, easy on the eyes, not so great on the acting, but typically she’s alright. I watch for House’s story. I want to know what’s going to happen to him and Cuddy next. Wilson’s cool too. Hugh Laurie is such an excellent actor.

35. belbelbel says:

It’s good to have 13s back! But please, don’t take Masters away. She added a fresh line to the show. Actually it would be interesting to see Masters dealing with someone like 13. I just can’t wait for the new episodes! COME 17/1!

36. Karl J, says:

I was glad that Cameron was written out of the story. I don’t know how to say it exactly but she seems fake to me. Too much emotional, it looks fake. The way she acted toward Chase was very shallow. I don’t understand their relationship. It was like nothing worth anything to them.

37. Ellen says:

What is with all the complaining about the break between episodes? That isn’t something new – it happens every year, and it used to be much worse when House was on the same night as American Idol! There are 52 weeks in a year, and only 22 episodes of House. That means there are 30 weeks with NO NEW EPISODES of House, and it probably means that there will be a lot of new episodes in April and May.

38. Kate says:

I miss Cameron a lot! 13 is starting to become one of my favorite characters. She’s not a replacement for Cameron but it helps to have her in the show. I just hope Cameron can come back at least for a couple of episodes.

39. mizdee1971 says:

House begins Jan 17th. THANK GOODNESS! House won’t be able to stay off his vicodin for long. It’s what keeps him going. As far as Cuddy goes, they belong together. They are both negative, crass, and unable to have a good relationship without each other. As far as 13 goes, bring her back, just let her work on the girls’ side. Let her medical situation be usable in the storyline of the show.

40. Judy D says:

Keep Thirteen til the series end!

41. suzy burcham says:

I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT IT MEANS AT THE END OF THE SHOW WHEN THEY SHOW THE GUYS W/THE HAT SAYING “THAT’S SOME BAD HAT, HARRY”

42. shirley says:

I would like to see the kind of storyline when HOUSE, MD was it’s on their 1st and 2nd season. Fresh, smart, very intriguing and absolute charming characters…

43. ooph. says:

:/ I like masters. I don’t want her to leave.

44. Janet says:

in a way I like that House is now also about the character’s relationships with each other. It makes the show more personal to the viewer. It lets you root for the rise or fall of the characters. The medical part of the show is still really interesting but I do enjoy that the show ofers a new kind of drama!

45. safira says:

I hate masters! Thirteen have to go back :D

46. Rayne says:

I love thirteen and I missed her so I can’t wait for her to be back.

47. bignickdig says:

WOW ITS A SHOW. you act like these people live their characters

48. bignickdig says:

wow its a show. you all act like these people are actually live the show. pathetic

49. Cheryl says:

OK… so 13 is back. Rumors flew around that she would be dead. Just because she’s coming back on the show, doesn’t mean she’s going to be alive. Let’s not forget what they did with Amber!!!!

50. Rapunzel65 says:

I think 13 is a great part of the show so i would be glad to see her back in the show and i think she is awsome :)