House Exclusive: Thirteen's Fate Revealed!

Get More: Exclusive, News, Scoop, Spoilers

Rumors of Thirteen’s imminent death have been greatly exaggerated.

Amidst deafening buzz that Olivia Wilde’s ailing alter ego will succumb to Huntington’s disease when she resurfaces later this season, series creator David Shore tells me that his plans for the actress extend beyond this season. This comes as Wilde’s movie has taken off during her time away from the Fox smash (during which she shot several films, including the big-budget sci-fi Western Cowboys & Aliens).

“That was kind of [our] plan: let her go away, become a giant movie star, and then she would come back and bring [all her new fans] with her,” says Shore with a laugh.

Although Shore has every expectation that Wilde will be return next fall, he concedes, “We’ll have to continue to work around her schedule a little bit. But it would be a crying shame for us to let her get away at this point. We’ve been very good to her and we’d like a little bit of it back.”

Ask Ausiello: Is another big breakup looming on House?

Regarding her much-speculated-about comeback this spring, Shore hints that “We have something very cool in mind. We’re writing an episode built largely around her return. I know [fans] are speculating about what happened to her during her absence, and I don’t want to rule anything out.”

Thoughts? Relieved you can count on Thirteen to be around for a while — particularly in light of Amber Tamblyn’s impending departure? Hit the comments!

Comments (275)

• Ugh I am so disappointed. House has sucked this year with all the Huddy crap and now this, can we get the old House back? Why do they toy with people’s hearts like this.

Comment by Jules – January 14, 2011 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Couldn’t agree more!

Comment by Liz – January 14, 2011 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Couldn’t agree more!

Comment by Yuli Stoinov – January 14, 2011 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I definately agree. This season has been so sloooooow. I miss Cameron and wish 13 would stay where she belongs–gone!

Comment by Haley – January 14, 2011 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hear, hear. The woman’s an annoying nuisance. Keep Masters & ditch Thirteen!!

Comment by Gina – January 14, 2011 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • A+

Comment by marina – January 14, 2011 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Ur sad to hate someone because ur a fat pig. You’ll never look like her. You’ll never be on tv. I’m sure you’d prefer a bunch of fat ugly girls on the show. Idiot

Comment by Ron – March 5, 2011 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Love 13.Hate Masters enough to consider not watching.

Comment by babs – March 31, 2011 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I vote for Cameron leaving and 13 coming back!!!

Comment by Dusty Hansard – January 14, 2011 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I TOTALLY AGREE…. get rid of the wineing cameron…at least 13 stood up to house and made me laugh..and u never new what to expect between her and omar..I miss her

Comment by s groff – January 14, 2011 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I agree – love thirteen – very interesting, creative character – a boon to womankind!

Comment by tikiwheats – February 16, 2011 12:39 PM PDT
      • This season was somewhat showoff, not showing the inherent property of House, anyway 13 was good, but Cameron was better, so it add up to more disgust. They should do something like————-kill House

Comment by sudhanshu – January 14, 2011 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She is hot as hell and I love everything about her on the show. So ur phucking opinion is stupid

Comment by Ron – March 5, 2011 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like the House-Cuddy relationship. We get to see different sides of House and it is softening his image. He was becoming too harsh and uncaring.

He needs a delicate balance between being like steel, and yet being able to show some compassion.

Comment by Cheryl – January 14, 2011 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wise word, my friend. I wish more people would see the show the way you do.

Comment by marina – January 14, 2011 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i agree with you, i’m from chile, and i have to wait a little longer for the episodes due to a time/country thing but i like house very much and how the charachter has evolved is very interesting, we have seen him for lots of seasons trying to get cuddy, finally he does, some say that they miss the old house, but i find him almost the same way he was before, even with cuddy, the thing is now we’re seeing another face of house, the one i wouldn’t say happy, but, with a couple, that happened before, with his ex wife, and a woman from the psychiatric hospital which name i can’t remember, but those were short relationships, with cuddy we can see an apparently log relationship, i hope the serie keeps as good as it is now, congratulations to everyone

Comment by Hector – January 14, 2011 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • House is the same to me in all the intrinsic things and he is still a huge jerk. I am glad they finally went there with House/Cuddy. They needed to and it’s given them new interesting aspects to explore in his character seeing him in this place I’ve never seen him before. I don’t think it’ll be a lasting relationship though. All of the odds are against it. David Shore compared them to Sam and Diane before the season even started. Katie Jacobs called it an arc. And look at the show itself, love doesn’t last on this show. Plus, Ausiello said that two relatinships were breaking up this season, the only two on the show are Taub/Rachael and House/Cuddy. Even Greg Yataines on twitter said something about all good things coming to an end referring to them. You know they won’t last-so don’t get your hopes up.

Comment by Nicole S. – January 15, 2011 12:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I’m sorry Nicole S. but as House would say: ” You’re an idiot ” Chris & Rachel Taub are married and are barely a featured relationship in the programme and it’s doubtful that will end ( although you never know with scriptwriters ) . . . House & Cuddy are the most important and sadly, from the information available, this will be ending . . . you are forgetting the most pivotal relationship, in MY opinion anyway, Wilson and Samantha . . . Wilson Suggested that maybe Sam should get pregnant . . .
            I would like to address those of you complaining about the quality of this season . . . There are so many ways in which these writers could have changed and they have also changed things in many ways . . . but THEY are the ones who have created this programme and thay are doing so in the way that THEY feel is good for the show.
            So either stop whining and enjoy whats to come or if you don’t like it don’t watch! perosnally I hope that the show keeps going because everything they have done so far is awesome!!

Comment by Andrew – March 3, 2011 12:38 PM PDT
    • Irrevocably agree! It’s not even Huddy, though, it’s how she says she wouldn’t change him, and now there are the ‘ultimatums’ and she’s getting the line between ‘boss’ and ‘girlfriend’ a tad blurred! Not happy at all with this season.

Comment by Emily – January 14, 2011 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What I love about David Shore is that he never clearly defines anything. He’s very subtle and discreet when it comes to answering questions about the future of the show. Like right now he hasn’t said that she will die or not, he just said that he has plans for her beyond this season. That means she can always die and return for a couple of guest appearances next season. You never know, especially with this show.

Comment by Yasin – January 14, 2011 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You saw how quickly they killed of Kutner (Kal Penn) when he wanted to stop acting. It was completely off character for him. So I wouldn’t put it passed them to kill off 13 if Olivia Wilde wants off the show. Although there are other options. They could just make her Huntington’s progress very fast and have her go away for treatment indefinitely. You never know, just because he says he has plans for her doesn’t necessarily mean she will actually be in any episodes. She could just be referenced.

Comment by Opalescent – January 14, 2011 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “You never know, especially with this show.”

And that’s one of the things I love most about it.

Comment by @ Yasin – January 15, 2011 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well one bad news won’t wreck my day but I’m not sure I will continue to watch House anyhoo.

I’ll see.

But tell David that she is in no danger to bring any fans from her movies. And btw, what movie?

Comment by mary – January 14, 2011 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What movie you ask? are you blind? it says the damn title right there!

Comment by JT – January 14, 2011 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She was in Tron Legacy.

Comment by Jess – January 14, 2011 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’s in Tron Legacy 3D right now…not sure if that’ll bring fans but it’s the movie He refers.

Comment by Chef Deej – January 14, 2011 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • well theres Tron for one and the new movie mentioned in the article

Comment by nsgilespe – January 14, 2011 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay, Olivia is so cool. I love the show. I can´t wait to see what happens next :D

Comment by Mina – January 14, 2011 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Olivia Wilde is an excellent actress. Looking forward to her return.

Comment by Pamela – January 14, 2011 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cool. I miss her and can’t wait to see her back.

Comment by Lisa – January 14, 2011 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wooohoo! i love 13. but she’ll come back only in spring?? i’m disappointed

Comment by sydb – January 14, 2011 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “…she would come back and bring [all her new fans] with her,”

Hmm, Shore finally realizes there is value in a fan base other than lovers of Huddy? That’s indeed news.

Comment by Bored – January 14, 2011 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 13 has always been my favorite since she appeared on the show. I can’t wait for her to come back!!

Comment by anon – January 14, 2011 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 13 is coming back. As I have never really warmed up to her that is not great news to me, now if Cameron was coming back that would awesome.

Comment by Amanda – January 14, 2011 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Need more Olivia Wilde! Need her to return asap!

Comment by Xandercas – January 14, 2011 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m very excited that Thirteen is sticking around. I think there is a lot more the writers can play with when it comes to her as a character. I am still waiting for the whole Thirteen/Chase thing to play out

Comment by Allison N – January 14, 2011 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am sooo excited! I really missed her dynamic with House and the team. I never disliked the character, but I really started liking her more and more, and was sad…yet intrigued when she left.

Comment by Lauren – January 14, 2011 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This reveals NOTHING about her fate.

Comment by AJ – January 14, 2011 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss her! I haven’t watched House since she left at the beginning of this season. Hopefully I didn’t miss anything big!

Comment by dontpanic42 – January 14, 2011 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • no you haven’t missed a thing… there have not been any new episodes since November 22 i believe. what is up with that.

Comment by dan booth – January 14, 2011 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of course, OW is “a giant movie star”.
    No wonder insignificant others “have to continue to work around her schedule”
    Sure there is going to be the first real promotion this season.
    Does show needs actors if it has the model with amazing face?

Comment by Fraitings – January 14, 2011 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes yes, i think it is pathetic that they “need to work around her schedule.” if she can’t work with them anymore like they need her to, just leave already like Kal Penn did.

Comment by marina – January 14, 2011 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 13 was at the premiere and in chapter 2 of the seventh season and were the worst audience data

Comment by ana – January 14, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Olivia Wilde seems like a very nice young woman. Thirteen, on the other hand, was an over-used, over-hyped, unbelievable addition to the cast. While I acknowledge that Olivia Wilde has a growing fan base, that doesn’t mean that those fans will want to watch the dreck that is “Huddy,” or care about Taub’s marriage, etc. And if Shore thinks that the reason ratings are down is because of Thirteen’s absence, he is living in his own fantasy world.

Comment by Elaine – January 14, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • have not enjoyed the show without her – hope she gets back very soon, and stays or I may need to find a new program

Comment by amos – January 14, 2011 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not a big fan of thirteen. I liked allison cameron much better.

Comment by House fan – January 14, 2011 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i don’t get people who don’t enjoy the show anymore only because she isn’t in it. i mean, WHAT DOES SHE DO? nothing. masters was an awesome addition to the show because she contributes a lot.

Comment by marina – January 14, 2011 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d nearly bet money she’s pregnant and/or has something going on with Chase.

Comment by Tom – January 14, 2011 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m getting very dizzy from this cast merry-go-round. The arrival & departures of female cast members don’t give views enough time to fall in love with them. Note to Creative Team: STOP IT! @sdakotaguy on Twitter

Comment by Gary F. Rogers – January 14, 2011 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I told you so! I can’t wait to see her back on House!
    Still miss Cameron, thought.

Comment by Hannah – January 14, 2011 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • since her character went away ive slowly lost interest in the show. first was cameron, then thirteen. cmon!

Comment by isumi22 – January 14, 2011 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i agree. i use to be a Faithful Housetonian But since house and Cuddy hooking up and thirteen leavin. hue found myself watching something else…..

Comment by dawn – January 14, 2011 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To kill off another doctor would really be redundant at this point. I have enjoyed the show from the very first episode, and I miss the “old days” when the show was more about the weekly medical mystery and less about the love lives of the doctors.

Comment by Susan – January 14, 2011 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • so true!!!! it has gotten very Greys anatomy.

Comment by dawn – January 14, 2011 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The reason ratings are down is because they show one new show a month. Very annoying. I am glad 13 will be back tho. Like her character. However, if this show doesn’t start showing a new show every week I’m going to stop watching period. I don’t care who they put on the show.

Comment by stacey – January 14, 2011 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 13 needs to stay. As far as the huddy and house relationship, keep going. Its your story mr. Shore… Keep it that way.

Comment by John – January 14, 2011 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Huntingtons does not take you that fast, at least not at her age. So there are alot of miles left for her to come back. Work on House and bring him back to a place where he is the House we all knew and loved in the beginning. I know he has been through a lot but dont screw him up to much or I will have to move on to a nother favorite show.

Comment by Teresa – January 14, 2011 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ROFL at everyone’s dismay about certain aspects of the show. Goodness! Deal with it–or stop watching.

HOWEVER, if by chance, one of the producers or writers DO happen across these comments, here’s my suggestion for KEEPING the fans:

Give Cuddy a life-altering illness. Not one that’ll kill her, but change her.
    House gets back on Vicodin, because it’s too much.
    We get House back… the Huddy thing won’t be so frigging unbearable…and House’s reasoning behind being back on the painkillers will be condoned by his team and even Wilson (but only because he’s a good friend/enabler. lol).

If you’re not gonna do this, producers/writers for House, let me know… cuz then I’ll probably just turn that idea into a fanfic. ha ;)

Comment by xenascully – January 14, 2011 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Thirteen! I want to see her back. Whether or not Cuddy and House blow up. I like their romance, too, but I find it annoying that House isn’t on very often and there are so few episodes, so many “hiatuses.” I don’t care very much for “Sam,” but maybe that’s the point of her, she isn’t very likeable.

Comment by SongSpirit – January 14, 2011 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love 13 and cannot wait for her return. House and Cuddy need to break up because there new relationship sucks. However, it needs to be a good break up meaning that a whole episode is not wasted on just the break up and they don’t drag out Cuddy being sad and mopy all the time. Just my thoughts. Oh and 13 and Chase need to have one night of angry drunkin sex….

Comment by Angela – January 14, 2011 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought her and Foremen had a thing, I’d rather see that rekindled

Comment by Niché – January 14, 2011 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Were you around fandom when Foreteen were an item. No one liked them. They were referred to as ‘Boreteen’ and people griped incessantly about them. I’d rather not have them couple up again if I have to deal with the fandom fallout. People complain enough in this fandom as it is.

Comment by DNW – January 15, 2011 12:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • loved thirteen’s character and love house. i feel like this season it has been on at weird times…i always seem to miss it :(

Comment by jessica – January 14, 2011 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have loved house since day one, but you are trying too hard to turn it into grey’s anatomy, STOP! That show is pointless.

Comment by phoenix – January 14, 2011 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have to agree. there is too much drama and not enough puzzles, Please bring back 13, but bring back the reason i started watching this show beyond all the other hospital drama. (ie get the puzzles, enough of “will house go insane if get more puzzles or he loses his ability to solve puzzles”

and while you are at it BRING BACK CAMERON. she was the only person who could shove an idea or a diagnosis in house’s face with style

Comment by Alexis – February 7, 2011 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • you guys are crazy! this season has been great and as far as im concerned house just keeps getting better and better. I have to admit i will be glad when 13 is back coz Amber-whats-her-face is dullsville! HOUSE ROCKS! keep doing you Mr Shore x

Comment by ella – January 14, 2011 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am with you, ella. What is wrong with House and Huddy! I think they’ve handled it pretty well actually.

Comment by Molly – January 14, 2011 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank GOD. she is my favorite character. Besides house that is. Plus. Id probably go gay for her.

Comment by Nikki – January 14, 2011 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I used to love House and knwe exactly when it was going to be on, hung on every word of every commercial about it, it has gotten so crappy the last couple seasons that I don’t even know when it’s goona be on if I catch it okay if not okay too. Ain’t what it used to be.

Comment by Carrie – January 14, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think 13 has been off having a lesbian affair with Cameron. They’ve been in Africa with that TB doctor all this time…if Fox knows what’s good for them…

Comment by Peter Toyman – January 14, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 13 *licks*

Comment by 13lover – January 14, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love 13! I do hope she comes back! I miss Camerons character. I would be a shame to lose 13 too!

Comment by jessica johnson – January 14, 2011 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I do like the House + Cuddy relationship, but I miss the way HOUSE used to be back around season 3. The ultimate dream on HOUSE would be to still keep the House + Cuddy relationship, but replace Thirteen with Cameron…please!

Comment by Rachel – January 14, 2011 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If she comes back, will she renew her relationship with Foreman? (or will there at least be SOME tension between them?)

Comment by Rollie – January 14, 2011 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this season, love the diagnostics team- whoever they are. Sure, I miss 13 and Cameron, but the show continues to exhibit innovation, inventiveness, and the sarcasm that makes House so endearing. House is still an A+ for me.

Comment by Fran – January 14, 2011 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring back Cameron! Glad to see the back of Amber Tamlyn; that was a misguided bit of casting. And while we’re at it, bring back the funny Clinic scenes.

Comment by Barbara – January 14, 2011 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • p.s if the ratings have gone down and some of u have stopped watching, your not die hard house fans and truely drawn in

Comment by ella – January 14, 2011 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t miss Thirteen at all. The best part of this season has been Amber Tamblyn. Keep her! Without the Masters character, I never would have continued to watch; those House/Cuddy scenes were just unbearable.

Comment by Ellen in NYC – January 14, 2011 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes i agree, yes thirteen was neat .. but this season kinda sucks.. i mean really.. I love house i got a ton of people into watching it ! and they got friends into it , and now none of us are all that impressed.. what is going on why is it taking so long for the next episode?! and who cares about thirteen really, she didn’t do that much for the team . !
    where is cameron . that was a bad idea to loose her..! she was my fav . i think she should have gotten a way back into it .

Comment by Kitty – January 14, 2011 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will be so glad to see Olivia back as 13. I think she will be exhibiting a great deal of class returning ‘back to work’ at “House, MD”. Can’t picture it for too long without her. Many actors have turned their back on their series’ in order to make it bigger in movies-kick up the attitude-and then fare poorly. I hope she gets the double scoop. Star of tv and movies.

Comment by CJ – January 14, 2011 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss Thirteen. I think she brought some zing into the show. I don’t miss Cameron with her whining. Bring back Thirteen!

Comment by Annette – January 14, 2011 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i hate olivia. she ruined the show and its just not the same as it was before she was cast onto the show

Comment by a1891 – January 14, 2011 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post