Exclusive

Exclusive: DirecTV In Talks To Air The Kennedys

On the heels of Showtime passing on giving The Kennedys a home, TVLine has learned exclusively that DirecTV is in talks to air the eight-part miniseries.

If a deal is arrived at between the satellite service provider and producers, The Kennedys would air on DirecTV’s 101 Network –- which in recent years has provided refuge for the critically acclaimed dramas Friday Night Lights and Damages.

History Channel Mysteriously Cancels The Kennedys

Originally developed to air on the History channel and starring Greg Kinnear as JFK, Katie Holmes as wife Jackie, Barry Pepper as Bobby Kennedy, and Tom Wilkinson as Joseph Kennedy, The Kennedys found itself orphaned when A&E Television Networks decided earlier this month that “this dramatic interpretation is not a fit” for the History brand.

Almost immediately after AETN made its decision, there was talk that Showtime would snatch up the series, as it did with the presidential bioseries The Reagans in 2003. Upon reviewing The Kennedys, however, Showtime passed on the project.

“What it really came down to was that it didn’t feel [like] Showtime,” network programming chief David Nevins told reporters on Friday. “It didn’t feel like premium cable.”

Are you curious to see The Kennedys?

1. Xander says:

I hope it doesn’t air, what a garbage movie, sounds like crap and the people in the movie are crap. NEXT!

2. bowlby4 says:

I hope this doesn’t happen. DirecTV keeps raising my rates, and then goes out and spends that money picking up shows that didn’t do well enough to stay on the air in the first place.

3. John Berggren says:

This one should be buried. Attacking the Kennedy family is as bad as trying to make Ronald Reagan seem like a saint. Lets try to be honest about our history.

4. PhilipJames says:

I guess the liberal wacko Kennedys and their stooges can’t censor the entire US TV network… with the help of the LSM, the true story of the Kennedys has been glossed over and now we get to the unvarnished true story of the old man being in bed with the Mafia, how John got elected through voter fraud, how John was screwing women left and right in the White House and the press went along with it and all the other corruption.
    So much for the phone Camelot theme.

5. Inez Gionti says:

I personally, think it should be aired. Why not,most people will be interested. They wrote about Mr. Roosevelt, and he had some things come out that were not Kosha, so to speak. In spite of the personal History, of all the Kennedys, John was a good President, and he made a difference. Why should his family not want the good in the man to be made public? We all know the best and the worst in him, already. What went on in his personal life, is old news, he was a darn good President, for this great country of ours, and HE should be written about, and remembered, for all he did for us, the American prople. What he did when he was not in his Office, other Presidents, have also done, and they were not as good a President as he was, far from it. His family should be very PROUD of all his accomplishments, and not be ashamed because he was a human being, who gets messed up in his personal life. That was his business, not ours, he was a GREAT President, and that’s what most Americans, loved, and remember about him. Let the story be told, he should mostly be remembered for the good things he did for all of us.He was a man. and they do get tempted, more so than women. I am sure that God forgave him for any discretion, why can’t all Americans, do the same. I would love to see Jack Kennedy’s accomplishments in writing, and forget about the trivial things, that had absolutely no bearing, on the really good Job, he was doing for this great Country. I think that most people feel the same way,I am almost positive of that. Thank you very much for letting me speak what I beleve to be the truth of the man. He was, in my Book, the best we ever had.
    Thank you for giving me the chance to say this, and meanibg it from my heart, sincerely and without malice. To anyone who is apposed to it, let them live with thier hostility, he was a good soldier, and a God fearing man. Let his soul rest in peace, with his God, and the family he has lost.
    Thank you for allowing to speak my peace. I have seen many Presidents starting with Roosevlt, nobody could have been better than JFK, in my book, you can take that to be the God’s Honest truth.
    Inez Martin Gionti.

6. JOHN says:

XANDER IS A NUT JOB.

7. JOHN says:

XANDER = NUT JOB

8. E. Nelson says:

I pay enough to Comcast to be able to see it!