Exclusive

Castle Exclusive First Look: Watch the Big Kiss!

Is this the year television’s most celebrated unrequited duos stop being polite and start coupling the hell up? Dr. Crankypants and Huddy on House are nearing the five-month mark (and they said it wouldn’t last); Booth and Brennan appear to be closer than ever to finally getting it on over at Bones; and on Castle, Nathan Fillion’s title sleuth is about to plant a wet one on his partner in crime Beckett. But as I teased in last week’s Ask Ausiello, there may be more to the Jan. 24 smooch than meets the eye. The good news? You don’t have to wait another 10 days to start compiling conspiracy theories. The video player below contains an exclusive first look at the duo’s big mouth-to-mouth moment. Go ahead and watch. You know you want to.

Loading video...

How I Met Your Mother Spoiler Alert: Barney’s Father Unmasked!

Reaction? Did you spot any clues? Were you too busy swooning to do any serious investigating? Are you hot or bothered or both? Hit the comments!

1. Lisa says:

OMG! This is nuts! I think either 1. Castle kisses her first, as both a cover to whatever they are investigating at the time and because he wanted an excuse to kiss her. Then understanding what he is doing and why, she goes in for another kiss after seeing someone over his shoulder. OR 2. Castle kisses her FOR REAL to show his true feelings but then Beckett continues it to throw off whoever it is that she sees over Castles shoulder. Unfortunately the second option would break poor Castles heart after realizing it was just for show.

• Ava says:

I couldnt agree more! there obviously has to be another kiss before this one because first of all, this looks to rushed and shes not into it at all. Second of all, this is a different kiss than in the promo photo because in the picture their hands are at different spots and her eyes are closed.

• Babs says:

Oh, yaaaaa! Agreed.

2. MAGGIE says:

HOPE THIS WAS PART OF AN INVESTIGATION ,BUT SURPRISES BOTH OF THEM WITH THAT KISS AND IS BEGINNING OF A BEAUTIFUL RELATIONSHIP FULL OF TEASES AND FUN!!bEST SHOW ON TV!!

• Monica says:

I agree. It looks like it may be part of an investigation that catches them by surprise and sparks the fire they’ve been kindling for so long. The sexual tension increases turning up the heat with a season full of anticipation! Loving it!

• Frank says:

It looks like they are either snooping around or secretly investigating something and are discovered by someone. In order to mask their true objective, they are forced to kiss as a cover. Both will play it off as if the kiss lasted too long or was a non-event. b Both will be shown in some sort of introspective immediately after, giving us the viewers that which we are craving…

3. MAGGIE says:

BEST SHOW ON TV,CAN’T WAIT FOR 24TH!!

4. kate says:

So heres my take- They both look like they’ve just been kissed- IE by each other- and beckett sees someone suspicious and kissing castle again boths lets her check out the suspect AND kiss castle.

• Colleen says:

I agree with Kate…also, Beckett’s eyes are open (I watched it twice to make sure…LOL)!! Can’t wait for the 24th!!

5. anna says:

who cares! they kissed! and since this isn’t sci-fi then we’re not talking alternate realities. Woo Hoo!

6. i believe this kiss is done as an invest. tool but both haev been wondering a long time what it would be like and they wanna fall in lust/love, but due to the job they must keep their distance…atleast until Rick decides to write a final book…^_^

7. Clynne says:

Yeah it looked a little suspicious. I don’t see the writers putting them together as they say its a show killer. They will probably wait a little longer. This looked very much like it was staged however Im sure the sexual tension between them will be much more after this. I don’t think they are getting together

• Rose says:

“They say” being the operative words here, I think. Don’t you Clynne? Some shows can handle that release and some can’t. If all the show is about is the tension then you loose the pull. So is this a one pony show?

8. Kevin M. says:

Could still be an alternate reality… look at Bones! The kiss could be anything from a dream sequence to a scene in a book (again, just look at Bones lol)

That said, I suspect it’s something that really happens, and probably on the job.

9. Gail says:

Who cares WHY they kissed,IT’S ABOUT TIME!

10. Savannah says:

Ahh only 6 seconds?? January 24th cannot get here soon enough! This episode looks so good!!

11. Bobby N. says:

Oh Castle….you lucky dog.

12. Ken says:

I’m sure there is a reason for the KISS, besides the one we want ,but who cares it finally happened. Now what is it going to lead to next.

13. Chelsea says:

Her eyes were OPEN! This does not seem like a kiss kiss, but a “undercover” kiss. Which really just makes me sad. This is why I hate spoilers. I don’t know why I bother.

14. Kevan says:

Yeah…her eyes dart to the right the moment before the kiss and remain open during it. She sees something and kisses him to check it out.

15. Joyce says:

Finally! I can’t wait for next Monday.

16. krystal says:

OMG!! LOVE IT!! Too bad there will be a twist..I just watched this clip like 10 times in a row lol!!

17. Randy from Glendale says:

It is part of an act for the episode. If they ever fall in love, the show is over, as that’s the “draw” of the show.

Yup, just a teaser.

• Elisabeth says:

No! They already are in love of each other. The show is over if we get bored but the cause maybe is not they both together.

• anonymous says:

I agree Elizabeth. It’s obvious at least that Castle is already in love with Beckett, and Beckett is falling in love with Castle (against what she thinks as her better judgement). I don’t think they will get together until the end of this season or beginning of the fourth, but once they do that won’t necessarily take away the tension and flirty banter- castle is not a very angsty show and the writer’s have proven the have great talent. There’s a lot that can be done with a Castle/Beckett relationship to keep it from being boring onscreen, just like in the Nikki Heat books where Nikki/Rook have already crossed the line.

18. Robin says:

They both seem a bit rumpled. My guess: They just survived an incredibly violent incident that has them knocked off kilter. They kiss in the passion of the moment, then neither one will admit that it was “real” and they avoid each other/make excuses once more.

19. Kimberly says:

I would love to see them get together, we have all waited to see it! Must be a dream that one is dreaming…just enough to keep us hanging in there…waiting…

20. Kassie Marin says:

OMG!!!!Castle was showing his ture feeling while kissing her but Kate didn’t look like she didn’t care cause it look like she was looking somewhere else.Omg!i will kill her if she hurts his feeling and it was just an act. Cause i know that would just break Castle’s Heart. :(

21. Norma says:

Castle being Castle panics and kisses her so that their cover is not blown but she is blown away from the feeling that she got from the kiss. Look at her eyes before she goes in for the kiss. She knows that the kiss was real and not part of the job. I predict that Beckett will down play that there was no feeling but just merely doing her job. And that is how they will continue to keep us going and waiting.

• Eana says:

Norma, I think you quite aptly summed up exactly what I think! LOVED that it wasn’t just some “Hey, how ya doin’?” fly-by-night kiss. They DEFINITELY have chemistry-can’t wait to see what’s really going on! PS —> KUDOS to both of them – if I were a reviewer, I’d best describe that kiss as “DAHHHHH-YUM!” :) Honestly! I mean…I haven’t ever smoked, but feel like I need to light one up after that! ROTFL!!!!!!!

22. Meri says:

HOTT!!! So it looks like they just finished the kiss in the promo pic and are looking at each other, and then she looks at whoever we can’t see in the scene behind Castle and dives in for more. I also note from the still pic that they are outdoors in what looks like a parking lot, and that in the still pic, he appears to have grabbed her face and pulled her in for a kiss – I’m assuming as some sort of cover to fool whoever is watching them. But from their faces at the beginning of the clip, I’m thinking it affected them more than they expected. She looks quite in shock, probably because he was the one who realized first that they were being watched and initiated the first kiss. Bottom line, I don’t care WHY they ended up kissing, I’m just glad they finally DID!!! :-D

• Jon says:

I agree. Great point!

• Nola says:

I agree with you completely – this is an excellent summation :) I’ve watched the clip a dozen times and am certain it immediately follows the kiss depicted in the photograph. And while the motivation for the kiss may have been work-related, just look at the crackle and sizzle between them… Salty-goodness! I’d dive in for more too – even with on-lookers!

23. Zahra says:

The kiss is an act- Kate looks towards her left and i have seen photos to know that there is a guy on the floor either trying to reach for his gun or trying to get away. So the fact that kate looks so distracted and looks and looks towards her left even while kissing speaks volumes.

This i knew (since the season 2 ended)would be the the only way to remind kate of her feelings before the fall and also plant questions regarding her current biker boy relationship, she’ll ask herself is he who i want? and on the other hand castle will be able to fully understand that kate is beyond doubt his true mate.

Remember guys, this is the only way these two can walk away quietly and also are free to think what they like.

I’m just really happy to know that i was not wrong since a year.

24. I have been waiting for the big moment. My 12 year old is hooked on Castle too. Nothing like keepig you hangimg on huh?

25. Jon says:

This has to be a “second” kiss because in the picture Castle’s hand is on her shoulder and Beckett’s hand is by his side. In the video, their hands are in different positions.

26. Laydeejay says:

She will never sleep again without dreaming about this kiss and neither will he. But you can tell it happened just to throw someone off. Maybe they were being watched. I am loving it!!! :-)))

27. Elena says:

This looks like the kiss after the first kiss…the one in the promo and in the spoiler pics has Castle drawing her to him with his hands in her hair…in this video her hair is all messed up already and SHE kisses HIM. So, I think they kiss (possibly as part of an undercover ruse) and then she goes in for a second one. It’s probably a mix of her wanting to kiss him again and as a means to accomplish something (she looks like she is watching someone over his shoulder). He, however, looks like he is very much into the kiss…she looks into it, too, but there is something else going on with her. I wouldn’t be surprised if Beckett, totally blown away by the power of that kiss, tries to play it off later like she was just doing it to make the undercover thing look even more believable (or something along those lines).

At any rate, the dam will break once they finally kiss and things will start to happen from there. Of course, it’ll be awhile before they ever get together as an actual couple but I’d like to see them have a relationship like the Rook and Heat do in the Nikki Heat books.

28. Slizabeth says:

Fortunately for us, the music is far too sweet/serious to mean that this kiss is going to be swept under the rug. I agree with most of y’all, someone is watching/being threatening. BUT, that doesn’t mean this doesn’t get some kind of wheel rolling.

I do, however, feel like Beckett is the one that will need more convincing after the kiss… not Castle.

29. shelby says:

omg! i seriously hope that they do hook-up soon. but i think it is to early in the series for anything serious to happen. look at house and cuddy it took at least nine seasons though they at least have hook-up and he spent like a whole season trying to get her to dump the private eye, bones and booth have taken six seasons (and all that’s happen is a dream and a kiss once), tony and ziva from ncis have hook-up but nothing has happened i think they are going on at least nine (even though everyone knows they are in love. also abby and mcgee need to just admit it)

30. Elisabeth says:

This is strange… maybe is a second kiss… or maybe is a false kiss because someone is looking at them, and then they have their real kiss after that.

Her eyes says a lot… that kiss is only an act… but it have to exist the real one.

31. Tisa says:

It’s an “undercover” kiss. You can tell cuz Kate’s eyes are open and looking over his shoulder and she’s not really into it. Which makes me feel bad for Castle cuz he’s into it :( But regardless of the reason, at least they kiss. We have been waiting three seasons for this, so I’m grateful :)

32. Sammyjo says:

I was swooning too much to care…just cant wait for Monday!!

33. Ashley says:

Ok, is it just me or does it look like Beckett is just holding her hand out to the side like she doesn’t know what to do with it? Maybe Castle pulls her in for a first kiss (in the picture) and the clip is a second kiss. I do agree with everyone else though, Beckett definitely sees something or someone over Castle’s shoulder.

34. Rose says:

I had hopes that the show would eventually move away from the “one pony show” where it doesn’t matter what happens as long as Castle and Beckett make moon eyes. Looks like I’m plain ol’ out of luck. The writers have them totally focused on the not quite love affair and away from the actual cases–I guess it makes the shows easier to write if the mystery isn’t too complex.

From the response here, though, I’m destined to see a great deal more “Buffy” and “Angel” and no “Wire in the Blood.”

• Fairienote says:

I’m sorry, you must be watching a different Castle than the rest of us. I see subtle nuances with their relationship but I’m not beaten over the head with it. I enjoy the ability to watch a good case on tv and enjoy some comedy as well.

Yes, a part of the show is their relationship. That’s what I think part of the intent was. I’m thrilled beyond belief at this turn of events, but I like knowing that o can get a good case out of the writers.

And mike, I love this new site! Congrats!

35. gospody1 says:

Seeing they signed on for another year with ABC. I highly doubt they will bring in the show killer this early. I think like everyone else this is staged for under cover purposes only and through this they will achieve the desire that they want each other. Seeing that they killed off Castle’s girlfriend last episode they still have to bring out the relationship Beckett is having with the Cardio Doctor. The plots are redundant and they writers know they have to spark our interest somehow, and brining back a very touching case, Becket’s mom’s death which is underlying plot to through the very begining they are brining the show back to it’s roots.

36. Donna Lappin says:

I think someone was watching them and they had to make it look good. Take a look at Kates eyes glancing to the left. She was watching someone.

37. Lisa says:

First, CONGRATS on the website, Mike! I’ve been a faithful A-hole since your TV Guide days, so it’s especially sweet to see you and Matt together again, creating all kinds of havoc in hollywood ;-)

CASTLE – they’re on an undercover assignment and have to “prove” they are LUVAHS! Such a fun show!

38. hetal says:

wow!!!! sow aiting 4 dis day….
    i also wanna kisss him….
    mwaaa to Nathann..
    lovee youuuuuuuuuuuu……. Nathannn….

39. Eileen says:

judging by becketts actions and the looks she kept shooting over his shoulder i think it was a undercover kiss also, you know they both been wanting to but fighting it and the choice was taken out of there hands they didn’t want to appear to be on a stake out or blow there cover so they kissed

40. Kristina says:

So I keep rewatching this clip and I don’t think it is undercover at all. Yes her eyes are open but I don’t see her looking at anyone, I think she is just in shock and cant believe that he kissed her.

41. Melissa says:

Castle and Beckett have amazing chemistry together; however, if they became a couple, it would just kill the show. Think about it. What is one of the main reasons women watch the show? I don’t know about the other women, but I watch it for three reasons: There is an air of mystery surrounding the program that keeps me watching each Monday to see if Beckett and Castle do finally share a kiss. I appreciate the fact that the writers have managed to include all of the elements that makes up a good storyline while at the same time keeping the program content clean. Nathan Fillion is charming and HOT!! Not everyone is going to agree with me, and that is okay. All I ask is that my opinion be respected. Thank you. :-)

42. fran says:

OBVIOUSLY we’ve almost established the fact that this isn’t their first kiss. it’s their second. :D BECAUSE in the promo video he facial expressions are COMPLETELY different. there fore this is their second kiss. (in my opinion)

43. ~Fei says:

Actually, considering the episode is about Beckett’s mom’s killer… From what I’ve heard the direction of the kiss is to be comforting rather than anything romantic or of a distraction. Notice how close together they are… Beckett looks out of her funk as well. Sure her eyes are opened, but the scene wasn’t meant to be that passionate in the first place. More like Castle is comforting her. o.o;

44. Scott Quinn says:

I think they are undercover and they need to kiss to prove that they are togethor to someone.

or its filming for the nikki heat movie and the other woman didnt get the part??

or they both decide what the hell and kiss.

45. Tom says:

Like it.
    I hope if Castle will stop be broadcast the final chapter will be Castle and Beckett will merry

46. Gloria says:

Actually, this could be the first kiss. . .the photo of them kissing could be a SECOND kiss, everyone. First one as a cover, second one as a realization of how they feel. Let’s keep hoping!!

47. Tasha says:

Don’t know – I’d say she IS serious, but then there is this “WAIT A MOMENT!!!!” situation – which might be brought up by her having (swift) second thoughts, or more likely by something that cought her eye right before she was about to close them to be swept away by emotion ………. hopefully.

48. VikSi says:

I’m not so sure there’s someone behind Castle. Looks more like he kissed Becket and the realization that she enjoyed it (or realizing that she actually has feelings for Castle she didn’t want to admit to herself) caught her off guard and she is still confused

49. Mish says:

OKAY, here’s what I think:
    It’s possible that it’s some undercover thing. And if you noticed, for a split second there, Kate looked somewhere to her back. BUT I also noticed that at the start of the clip they were both panting which could mean that they kissed prior to this one.So I’m in the possibly good side of the arguement. But nonetheless, this is one steamy CASKETT kiss! And I hope after this, THEY DO ACTUALLY GET TOGETHER! :D

50. DonLunte says:

Obviously they dont wanted to look suspicious for some reason and went for it. But still the kiss means something… probably more to castle than beckett. Im looking forward to all the awkwardness after this xD

• Elena says:

The kiss definitely means something to both of them, but I’m not sure that it means more to Castle than Beckett. Her feelings for him are just as strong as his feelings for her. We’ve seen that become more and more obvious ever since the S2 finale. Her reaction when she overheard Castle ending things with Gina was so telling. Now we just have to get her to get rid of Dr. Biker Boy. :)

Anyway, what I think is that Castle is a much more openly passionate person, someone who is way more in touch with his emotions than Beckett. She is guarded, especially when it comes to letting people get close to her, even if she wants to let them in. So, when this kiss happens, for whatever reason, Castle is totally gung ho about it. He wants her and this is the moment he’s been waiting for…even if it’s staged for some case-solving purpose, it’s real to him and he just throws himself into it. It’s different for Beckett because, though she has very strong feelings for Castle, she can’t let herself just go with it. I suppose this kiss above happens after the kiss we saw in the promo. They both look winded and her hair is all messed up like Castle’s hands had just been in them (like in the promo). Obviously, it’s a powerful kiss and knocks them both for a loop. Their faces say it all, I think. When Beckett goes in for the kiss in the video she seems to have some other motive…she has her eyes open and she’s watching something over his shoulder. She’s also very stiff and awkward here, like she’s distracted. Something’s up but Castle’s oblivious…or if he is aware he is allowing himself to get lost in the kiss.

So, what I’m saying is that the kiss is very meaningful for both of them but I’m not sure it means more so for Castle than Beckett. I think it’s going to cause some interesting consequences and delicious awkwardness, for sure. Castle will be ready to throw himself into pursuing Beckett but she, because of her issues, will put her wall right back up and hold him at bay because she can’t just let herself go like he can. Whatever happens, though, you KNOW she is going to be replaying that kiss over and over in her head. Eventually, she will give into him and let him in, but it’s gonna be awhile, for sure.

Regardless, I cannot wait to see this episode and find out what’s really going on here!!!

• Lexi says:

^^^^^This. So much this.

• Vern says:

I totally agree with you and I actually think that what you said is true. At the beginning of the video beckett and castle are both looking at each other like something just happened, her hairs messy ect. when i first saw this video i was kinda bummed out cause i wanted them to have a long, passionate kiss for the first time but when i read your response it made my day. :P