Survivor Vets Russell Hantz and 'Boston' Rob Will Seek Redemption

It is official: As long Survivor is on the air, “Boston” Rob will be able to put food on the table (even if it’s oftentimes merely rice).

CBS said on Thursday that Rob Mariano (from the Marquesas and Heroes vs. Villains editions) and Russell Hantz (Samoa, Heroes vs. Villains) — neither of who has claimed the million-dollar prize in their previous tries — will join 16 previously announced first-time castaways for Survivor: Redemption Island.

Redemption Island‘s titular twist is that ejected players will cool their sun-chapped heels at a remote isle, with the jope of possibly being voted back into the game.

What do you make of this pair of encores, Survivor loyalists? Are you more or less inclined to visit Redemption Island this winter?
The 22nd cycle of the CBS reality juggernaut premiered Wednesday, February 16, at 8/7c.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. mcvs2104 says:

Looking forward to Boston Rob and Russell. They would definitely make Redemption Island better than Nicaragua.

2. CarolH says:

Personally I love this…I really like both of them and would like to see one of them win.

3. steve says:

russell and Rob? No survivor for me this winter!

• starshockey13 says:

I love Boston Rob, but Russell Hantz is a creep, and I don’t know what they are thinking by shoving him down our throat yet again. I have seen EVERY episode of Survivor since the beginning, and I will have a very tough time watching this season just due to the fact that the creep is back!!!

4. Kristen says:

I am definitely more likely to watch now!

5. Mindys says:

I am THRILLED that Russell and especially Boston Rob will be back for this SURVIVOR. Can’t wait! Go Boston Rob!

6. Jinxy says:

Is Russell a good player of the game Survivor? Yes. Is he a good person? Despite what he says, No. You can’t fake that level of animosity towards others (particularly women) for that long. Twice. The first time he played it was entertaining. The second time was tiresome. Now we get him AGAIN?? ugh. After 20 seasons, or whatever, this could be the end of me and Survivor.

• Mikos says:

I’m not even sure he’s a good player. He works hard for those immunity idols but not around camp and his challenge dominance is good not great. But worst of all is that he either won’t or can’t play any kind of social game and he’s the equivalent of a track athlete who refuses to walk the last five feet to the finish line, believing it should come to him.

I think it’s silly to presume to know if he’s a good person or not. You don’t have to like him but you probably should acknowledge that the show doesn’t really describe the person, just the person on the show.

7. Beth says:

No way those guys will be around for long, unless the other contestants are really dumb. It could be interesting to see them fight it out on Redemption Island, though, especially if they go back to back and so are up against each other. Personally, I’m fine with both of them being there, as I find them both entertaining and kind of fascinating to watch. (But go Rob! I find I like him more and more the older he gets.) Boston Rob must have the record now for competing in the most editions, right?

8. BW says:

Love Survivor–Can’t tolerate Russell. Did not watch when he came back the 2nd. time and definitely will not be watching this season until he is gone…hopefully right away!!!

9. Teena says:

And I was really interested in seeing how this Redemption thing was going to work too. I can’t watch that troll Russell another season.

• Allie says:

Yep. As long as Russell is on, I won’t be watching. I know he has fans, but I personally think he’s trash. I hated when he came back a second time and I definitely won’t watch his third outing. I hope like crazy he’s gone soon so that I can tune in again! I am really looking forward to seeing how Redemption Island plays out!

10. Jordan says:

Rob was in Survivor All Stars not Heroes vs. Villains.

• fiona says:

rob was in survivor all stars AND Heroes vs. Villains.

I can’t wait to see how things pan out. It better be a team Rob vs. team Russell face off. CAN’T wait to see Rob get redemption from last season and oh so sweet revenge

11. PsiHawk says:

Wow Matt… lots of typos and errors in this post…..
    Rob yes… Russell sucks

12. Abe Froman says:

Bored now.

13. Raechel says:

I was looking forward to watching Survivor again since I haven’t watched since Russell’s first outing. I guess I will have to wait until couple season to watch again because Russell is the worst person to play since Johnny Fairplay. I don’t what people say about how nice he is but to me someone as horrible as he is on the show could much different in reality.

14. dee123 says:

Russell? guess i’m not watching then.

15. Dave says:

Guess it depends on what a ‘jope’ is.

I enjoy the tension that Russel gives the show, and given that his ability to get on the actual show will likely depend on his winning a challenge, I look forward to seeing if anyone fails to keep him off…then they can announce a “Biggest Heel” award.

16. milessilverberg says:

Rob and Russell? The show has officially gone to the trough (and I do mean trough) one too many times. I wouldn’t be surprised if one of the challenges will have the tribes on waterskis, jumping a shark.

Oh well. It was a good run for a while.

17. Coach-Wade Fan 445 says:

“It is official: As long as Survivor is on the air, “Boston” Rob will be able to put food on the table (even if it’s oftentimes merely rice)……”

“CBS said on Thursday that Rob Mariano (from the Marquesas, All-Stars and Heroes vs. Villains editions) and Russell Hantz (Samoa, Heroes vs. Villains) – neither of who has claimed the million-dollar prize in their previous tries —…..”

There Fixed.

now to my comment.

Simply put, I can’t wait to see this season. “Boston” Rob, is a great player, and I’m just hoping they slip these two up at the start.

Russell Hantz is a masterful player, maybe this time around he’ll of learned to play a more social game.

I do have this to say.

Rules for Survivor

#1. Get the Ringers out first. Russel and Boston Rob must be the first ones voted out, Now with this, Redemption Island thing, it might be hard to get them out quickly, but at least you won’t have them in your camp wheeling and dealing.

#2. Don’t Trust Russell or Boston Rob. simple as that, If you think that you can take either one of them to the final three, and stand a chance of wining, your wrong. for the most part.

Rob’s been in this game four times, and Russell has gone all the way to the end twice, these are not small feats, and as we’ve seen time and time again, when push comes to shove, Both Boston Rob and Russell with give it they’re all, and both have a keen understanding of this game and will use every last ounce of strength they can muster to win this thing.

#3. Lady’s Russell is married, Boston Rob is married, so flirting and shaking what the good lord gave you (or in more survivor likely hood, Dr. Nip/tuck made you) you only further demean yourself and all women. so stop. please for the love of Probst.

#4. Big Gambles = Even Bigger Losses. I can’t say this enough. Trust No One. “Oh no one will ever vote Russell to with this so I’ll take him to the end so they will have to vote for me” not a sound move. more like dancing with a snake, one wrong move and you’ll get bite. cause I can assure you you are not the only one thinking Russell or Rob are a safe no vote at final three.

#5. Mix things up. Take what Jeff has said in the past, and apply it to your game. Be bold, but not stupid.

alright, now that is done, I can’t wait to see this season.

18. melodious says:

Matt, Matt, Matt…..come on, vacation is over. “Jope”, “premiered”????

19. John Berggren says:

I want to see one of the survivors guess Russell’s real name so he stomps himself into the earth.

20. toast says:

Unlike some, I think that Russell isn’t nearly as much of a jerkwad as he’s made out to be. He’s just a very cerebral player and he doesn’t get his emotions into the game, and I think that’s where his downfall is. At least Boston Rob can get people to like him, Russell is all about the game with no social aspect to it.

Either way, it will definitely make for a good season with both of them on it. I just hope that they’re around a little bit, even though if I were on this season, I’d make sure they were sent packing first.

21. john says:

What’s with russell and the tears? some people hate him and some people love him, and that made the game interesting. I will miss the troll.

22. Annoyed Aboutshow says:

I am in Australia and Redemption starts this week.
    Now that I know that Russell targeted and voted out I will not be watching the show.

All the talk about Rob what has he ever done? 3 games and finished 2nd in one of them (he is hardly a good player)

The only possible thing that would make me watch this season is to see him voted out.
    As he has been a arrogant self centered player in every season and I don’t understand how so many can’t see this.
    Why was he given another chance there are more worthy players?

The funny part is how so many say that Russell betrayed ever one but both times the bulk of his main alliances made to the end by sticking with him.
    I know I would stick with him as now one would let him win at the end due to being bitter about being beaten.

Rob betrayed every one and any one and it’s funny that the media say otherwise.
    Russell has played the best episodes of Survivor and kept the show from going down the drain. (why do you think they brought him back?)