Scoop: Cougar Town Boss Reveals 'Cliffhangery' Kickoff to Midseason Hiatus

UPDATE | TVLine has learned that due to the preemption of last night’s new Cougar Town, the entire schedule has been shifted back one week. Translation: the shocking Travis twist will now air in April. Now get back to your brilliant big-secret guesses in the comments!

________

Someone fill up Big Carl, stat!

We’ve just learned that an extra special something happens between Cougar Town lovebirds Travis (Dan Byrd) and Kirsten (Collette Wolfe) in the mini-midseason finale that might actually overbear the, um, overbearing Jules…

As you know by now, ABC is making way for Matthew Perry’s Mr. Sunshine this spring by pressing pause on Penny Can for about six weeks. (Grrr, right?!) But get excited because the just-renewed hit is (temporarily) going out with a bang.

“I don’t want to call it a cliffhanger, but there’s going to be an issue raised in the last episode before the break that is going to be paid off at the end of the season,” showrunner Kevin Biegel tells us. “When we come back at the end of the season there are [a few] left, so all of the story arcs we’re setting up for the end of the year, we’re starting now.”

Now here’s the Trav tease we can give you:

“It’s a big thing with Travis, all about him and his girlfriend, Kirsten,” says Biegel. “It’s a huge part of the end of this year. And it’s a situation that closely resembles what Jules’ past was.”

Of course, our mind went straight to baby on board, but the Cougar boss eased those fears, explaining: “It doesn’t mirror [her past] though, so I’m not saying anyone’s getting pregnant or anything. But young love is a big part of it, and Jules dealing with that is what brings us through the end of the year.”

But why Kirsten? Travis has already had another longterm girlfriend on the show, but according to Biegel, it’s the awesomeness that is Collette Wolfe that has elevated her character to perma-stature.

“Collette was so good that we just kept writing to her,” he laughs. “And [Kirsten's] an older girl and kind of reflexive of his admiration of his mom–the parallels aren’t that hard to draw between his mom and [his girlfriend].”

Hmmm, somehow we don’t think Jules will see it that way, but it sounds like some seriously juicy goodness.

Don’t miss the final episode of Cougar Town before its midseason finale on Wednesday, February 2 at 9:30 pm on ABC.

Comments (27)

• …wait, if there are only 5 episodes after the hiatus does that mean that there are only 19 episodes of Cougar Town this season?

That sucks.

Comment by FH14 – January 13, 2011 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nevermind, just asked Busy Philipps on twitter and she confirmed that the season will have 22 episodes.

Comment by FH14 – January 13, 2011 10:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE Cougar Town this season. The show really hit it’s stride and it’s just hilarious. There isn’t a single character that doesn’t add something (including that dude who occasionally pops up because he wants to be one of the gang, forget his name at the moment).

Comment by RP – January 13, 2011 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s Ted – I agree, he is fantastic!

Comment by Tracy – January 13, 2011 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s Tom actually… Ted was scrubs.

Comment by Wendy – January 13, 2011 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love the show, but there are just so many characters on the show that I find annoying…but they do add something to the show…is that weird? I just find Travis and his father to be extremely annoying. If I knew anyone like that in real life, I’m afraid I would have to avoid them like the plague…

Comment by 1337 – January 13, 2011 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They’re probably getting engaged. I gotta say that I’m not a Kirsten fan, I liked Kylie better. I’d prefer Travis with Laurie though, that’s probably gonna happen down the line.

Comment by irg19 – January 13, 2011 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yeah but ABC just pushed what was gonna be the Jan 26th ep to Feb, so unless they double up with 2 eps on Feb 2nd, this ep wwont air til April

Comment by craig – January 13, 2011 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really dislike Kirsten. Kylie was a better fit. On the other hand, I love poor Tom and how badly he wants to be in the crew!

Comment by Kate – January 13, 2011 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any word on what’s going to happen to the episode that was supposed to air last night but didn’t?

Comment by Joseph – January 13, 2011 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ABC just pushed back the airdates due to President Obama’s speech last night, so we get an extra week of Cougar Town goodness.

Comment by Megan Masters – January 13, 2011 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I heard that they will double up on Cougar Town, when Modern Family is on a repeat.

Comment by Stacie – January 13, 2011 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Clearly they will get engaged or married and it will drive Jules bonkers!

Comment by AlistairCrane – January 13, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really am not happy about the news that Kirsten will be sticking around. I’m not a fan of the character. I assume they will get married or engaged.

Comment by Brandi – January 13, 2011 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • meh, not a fan of Kirsten either. I’m wondering if “she” cheats on “him” after Travis drops out in order to follow her as she works on her dissertation.

Comment by Sweet – January 13, 2011 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I started watching Cougar Town THIS season and now they are taking it away for a while in February???? I don’t give a flip about Matthew Perry’s new show now. Take away some of Dancing with the Stars/Flashes in the Pan way too long time slots and then we can make room for Matthew and leave Big Carl for Wednesdays.

Comment by Jason – January 13, 2011 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Kristen and love the show, but it has a major problem – can the actor that plays Travis PLEASE get a non horrible haircut?

Comment by JB – January 13, 2011 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Come on we all know Travis is going to end up with Laurie at the very end. Initially, Bill Lawrence said he was gonna wait until Travis has graduated from college at the very least, but recently he said he has second thoughts about that. So whatever this is, whether it’s Kylie or Kirsten, it won’t last.

Comment by Gem – January 13, 2011 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually really like Kirsten, Kylie irritated me a bit. Kirsten is sassy and clearly a confident young woman and I love that.

Comment by PV – January 13, 2011 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How in the world can you describe this show as a “hit”? It loses 40% of the lead-in from “Modern Family” and doesn’t even rank in the top 40.

Comment by Steve – January 13, 2011 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ah, retentionistas… you people are so funny…

Comment by Gusar – January 14, 2011 01:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • preggers scare!!!!

OMG, Jules will FREAK. OUT.

Comment by stacie – January 14, 2011 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • sorry, meant to say… i would love to SEE a preggers scare

Comment by stacie – January 14, 2011 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really don’t care too much about what happens between these too. I don’t like Kirsten. Her character is both bland and annoying, to me at least. As long as Trav ends up with Laurie and the end I’m happy. Oh and the show keeps being great.

Comment by samfio – January 16, 2011 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i used the wrong “too” … that’s embarrassing.

Comment by samfio – January 16, 2011 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree that Kirsten is annoying. I just don’t think she fits in with the cul de sac crew. I like the Travis/Laurie idea, but how badly would Jules freak? Big Carl might be too small!

Comment by Cristin – March 2, 2011 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post