Parenthood Exclusive: Jason Ritter Returns!!!

Jason Ritter isn’t going to let a little thing like an alien invasion stand in the way of a Parenthood comeback. The Event actor is set to reprise his role as love interest to Lauren Graham’s Sarah for one episode later this season.

“We’re very excited to have him back,” says Parenthood EP Jason Katims. “Sarah comes to him for advice about something. It’s only a few scenes, but what’s nice about it is you see that they still have this amazing connection. They are great together.”

Katims said he and his fellow Parenthood writers concocted the Mark-Sarah reunion story before knowing if Ritter was even available to play it. (Of course, it helps that both Parenthood and The Event are both on NBC.)

“Even though we knew he was [on The Event], we broke this story and we thought, ‘It would be so great to get him,'” Katims explains. “So we pursued it and he wanted to do it. We’re thrilled to have him back.”

1. Melanie says:

NOOOOOOO I HATE HIM! WHY OH WHY DAMN YOU! I’m not watching anymore.

• Sue says:

Goodbye, then.

• jbird says:

I have to agree with you. Maybe not with quite as much enthusiasm ;), but I just didn’t care for the two of them. I actually preferred LG with Kevin Alejandro. I hated that they paired her off with the sleazy Billy Baldwin character.

• bamalam says:

Why did his character leave? I’ve watched all the episodes and I can’t believe that I missed why Sarah chose Baldwin over Alejandro…

• Karen Yost says:

I loved when it was Billy Baldwin playing her love interest.
        I couldn’t wait for those nights when it was those two. She is good for him and he is good for her..
        Billy and Lauren please

• Lisa says:

Clearly, you’re not a real fan of the show then… or you’re just exaggerating. It would be your loss, though. He did an awesome job as the younger teacher and was great with both Sarah and Amber, and any fan of a show wouldn’t “stop watching” over one episode when he had a multi-episode story arc last season.

• Jamie says:

He did do a great job. He gets Sarah, and digs Amber, when Amber didn’t like herself. Sarah needs him right now.

• Bonnie says:

I agree. He is the only good one for Sara. Amber needs to put the situation in a realistic perspective. She will be grown and gone on her merry way in a few years. Her Mom would be left alone and without the one possible love of her life, just because Amber had a school-girl crush. ‘Taint fair.

• jax says:

omg get a life

• AJ says:

Um, it’s a few scenes in one episode. Get a grip, girl.

2. Michelle says:

I adore Jason Ritter and I adore Lauren Graham. As much as I like The Event, I want Sarah to be with his character. He was the only good one.

3. Cee says:

Yes! Sarah and Mark’s brief relationship was beautiful to watch; I’m so excited to see him return.

I’m loving this season so far, Lauren and Mae Whitman especially are awesome but this entire cast deserves a little more recognition and credit that they currently receive.

Melanie, surely you don’t have to give up the show for a brief appearance in one episode?

4. ami says:

Its good, appreciable.

5. C says:

YES, i love that he’ll be back….
    I also think he’s THE ONE for Sarah…he’s just awesome ( AND good looking).
    Lauren and Mae are doing GREAT this season…and YES the cast needs more recognition. I LOVE this show and I’m looking forward to see Mark again!! <3

6. Amber says:

I love Jason and Lauren’s dynamic so much. He should come back more frequently; it helps that the Event looks to be a one-season show.

• Kate says:

Sorry Amber but The Event is coming back in Feb. And I’d rather see Jason on that show. Even though he was good on Parenthood. He’s just that good of an actor.

• Amber says:

To finish the second half of its season, after a lengthy hiatus. Have you seen the ratings? I highly doubt it will return next season. I enjoy the show, but come on.

7. Wendy says:

Awesome!! I was really hoping they would bring him back. I love Jason, and thought he and Lauren had great chemistry. Can’t wait!

8. David says:

Why is it that haters and lurkers respond first followed by a majority totally disagreeing with them… in her words “WHY OH WHY DAMN YOU!” Melanie

9. hannah says:

YAY! Loved the chemistry between them.

10. Teressa McGary says:

I love Jason Ritter!!! Bring him back permanently!!!

11. Lisa says:

SO HAPPY!!!! I LOVED him on this show! Even if it’s for one episode, it’s nice to keep him around.

12. Brittania Thompson says:

I love Jason Ritter. I think he has made quite a name for himself all on his own and not just known for being John Ritters son. His dad must be proud of how well he is doing and what a great actor he is. I am glad to see him back.

13. Shari says:

Parenthood is the BEST show on network tv right now. Although I wasn’t crazy about the story line of Sarah dating one of her kids teachers, I did like their chemistry.

Would love to see more Amber story lines and less Haddie story lines. Mae and Lauren’s chemistry as mother-daughter is amazing. I think it may rival Lauren/Alexis from Gilmore Girls.

Love every character on this show, and the actors are all bringing it week after week.

• Josanne says:

Like your comments here. I haven’t seen a cast and story lines I’ve been so hooked on since Gilmore Girls. I bought the GG DVD’s and run through them once a year. Never get tired of the banter. However, I’m enjoying LG in yet another single mom role. She’s different, more vulnerable. And Mae Whitman, outstanding. The two of them together are amazing. However, I’m really hardpressed to find any of the characters and match-ups that I don’t like. It’s all good. Shows like this don’t come along but once in a “blue moon” like Gilmore, which like Everwood and October Road, will are remembered long after they are gone.And speaking of Haddie; the scene where her folks told her she couldn’t date Alex. I found myself on both sides of that argument, and shedding tears for all of them. The only thing I didn’t like about the show; not being able to watch it over the holidays! I’m glad they’re back for a while.

14. Paige says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE these two together, I was so mad at her when she let him get away!! There was NO WAY I wanted her with that slimy boss of Adam’s who didn’t even know the meaning of family. I agree, if your a true fan of the show you know they are meant to be together, now let’s just hope her daughter is cool with it! :)

15. Mary says:

I liked him and Sarah together. I also liked the Alejandro guy. She seems to always pick the wrong guy.

16. glorai says:

I don’t like him. His character is scruffy and looks like he smells bad. Anyway, he didn’t click with Graham so I hate that he’ll be back. EWW!

17. Pam says:

I liked that the chemistry between Graham and Ritter was dynamic, but it was exactly as the show treated it – a fleeting dynamic moment between the two characters they portray. This made it real and not forced, but in the real world those types of fleeting moments of chemistry often become dry. I think Lauren Graham’s character, Sarah would best be suited with an actor that brings a character with a spark of strength to her “not-so-sure” fear of trusting herself, muchless a man that will stay in her (Sarah’s) life. If the show is going to portray Sarah as a single mother, for too much longer, than maybe they should write more single mother circumstances, such as with the fleeting moment romances, but also add some of those ugly battles with the other parent that we single mother’s tend to face year after year. Throwing in a Single Mom’s group support could bring real issues about single parenting forward in the show. Single Mom’s are not just available women for men, they are also very often the strength behind their children’s decisions. Ritter is a good actor for Graham as far as chemistry, but I don’t think the show should make a hasty decision on it. Let it play it’s course, just like it does in real parenting.

18. kristine says:

I love this show. He was a good guy when he was on b 4 so hopefully he can help Sarah with whatever she goes to him b 4

19. TheGoodFairy says:

Sorry, story line with the darling Jason Ritter was too reminiscent of oh, something else repeated M-F at 5pm Pacifc time. Lauren Graham needs some story lines she hasn’t played before. Loving parents and siblings here is a start!

20. Lois Davis says:

I’d like to see another actor from “The Event” on Parenthood with Lauren, Scott Patterson. They were great together on Gilmore Girls.
    I liked Billy Baldwin ok but didn’t like the character he played

21. Sara says:

YEY! This is the moment I’ve been waiting for. I really loved Mr. Cyr and he and Sarah had great chemistry. Hopefully it will be for more than one episode. He’s the guy Sarah needs to be dating.

22. Barbara says:

She chose the boss because she was sick of losers without money so she chose one with money. Go figured.
    I don’t think the teacher is good for her… he is too young. But they make a cute couple.

23. Aiden says:

A selfish part of me does not want The Event to become a huge hit so that Jason Ritter could be a full time character Parenthood. His and Lauren Graham’s chemistry is just too good.

24. Ellyn Melzer says:

Wonderful goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you’re just too wonderful. I actually like what you’ve acquired here, really like what you’re saying and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it smart. I can’t wait to read far more from you. This is actually a tremendous website.

25. Thais says:

People here really liked Billy Baldwin and Lauren toguether? Well, I didn’t. There was not that “in love” thing between them and Lauren Graham is so pretty, a mom like Sarah having this relatinonship with a guy 12 years younger makes the story so much more interesting. Mark-Sarah scenes are really funny… The last episode was great, with all the door thing. They’re really nice toguether. But I guess that he’s not going to really BE part of the serie, once he’s playing another character on The event.

26. Kay Winter says:

Parenthood is unbelievably excellent. From the writing to the acting each week provides outstanding television.I can’t say enough for the performances. Each family member seems so real and so vulernable.
    Each story line hits the mark as far as real circumstances and emotions.I’ve never seen Monica Potter before and for me she really portrays a worried mother with clarity. Who knew Dax Shepard has such a dramatic flair and could be so reliable and consistent each week.Mae Whitman has such extreme depth. It is almost hard to encompass each scene she is in.Lauren Graham is perfect in this role of a divorced mom trying to make things right. Helena Christianson is the perfect yuppie lawyer. Her husband makes my heart pound!