House Exclusive: Amber Tamblyn Checks Out

Get More: Exclusive, News, Scoop, Spoilers

The doctor is out… or at least she will be by the end of the season. House creator David Shore confirms to TVLine exclusively that Amber Tamblyn’s stint on the show will conclude this spring.

Although her deal with the show was only for one year — she was brought in to fill the temporary void left by Olivia Wilde’s Thirteen — the boss was hoping the Joan of Arcadia actress would extend her stay. “I wish she was sticking around, because she’s wonderful,” he says. “But she’s not going to be with us for [much longer].”

Tamblyn’s whip-smart MD-in-training Martha Masters will depart right around the time Wilde’s ailing Thirteen is slated to check back in. (I hear the two will briefly cross paths.) Shore says he’s “literally working” on the script for her final episode right now. “We’re going to give her a good sendoff. I’m not at liberty to discuss any details,” he insists, “but she’s getting a good sendoff.”

Tamblyn’s character got the typically chilly welcome from House and others when she arrived earlier this season, laboring to supplant her lack of a “Dr.” title with encyclopediac knowledge. “Shes an interesting character, that Masters,” notes Omar Epps (Foreman). “Our team is a little bit jaded, so we had to have a lot of patience with her.”

Thoughts? Were you, like Shore, hoping Tamblyn would lengthen her House call? Hit the comments!

Comments (317)

• .. she’s commanded her role with authentic wide eyed ‘world is my oyster’ amazement. BUT 13 is so much hotter!!

Comment by AJ – January 15, 2011 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • especially when she kisses other chicks Yummy

Comment by skunkmonster – January 17, 2011 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hot is hot, skunkmonster, without qualification; and thirteen is H-O-T.

Comment by lucca – January 18, 2011 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s an opinion of course, and probably the popular one, but I WAY prefer MMM. I’d take MMM over 13 every day. Not everyone thinks the ideal woman is a stick figure with a square jaw.

Comment by Spaz – March 22, 2011 11:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tamblyn added some much needed new storyline to the same sleep around stuff we now stuck with. Why don’t you try to keep her or another character like her?

Comment by Jon Dresser – January 15, 2011 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • True dat!

Comment by skunkmonster – January 17, 2011 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I concur!

Comment by skunkmonster – January 17, 2011 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awwww. no! I liked Masters! Not that I dont want Thirteen back, but Masters was fun and nice and was getting to know how to work with House and the weird ways the team solves cases… :(

Hopefully they don’t kill her off, dealing with Kutner’s death was enough for me. If they’re gonna kill someone, hopefully it will be Cuddy, and we’ll be free of the Huddyfail.

Comment by shotahunter – January 15, 2011 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love your comment so much I want to marry it. Masters was pretty cool and I’d be the first one to pull the trigger on Cuddy. If they’re gonna get rid of another team member why not Taub,he’s so..ugh.

Comment by NishaBee – January 15, 2011 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I would gladly help you

Comment by linda futrell – January 16, 2011 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh, I would love for Taub to take a hike.

Comment by Marcela – January 16, 2011 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • agreed

Comment by skunkmonster – January 17, 2011 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I never liked thirteen. I really love Masters. I love Cuddy and House together.

Comment by Patziggy – January 18, 2011 04:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • True dat. She is by far the best of the rotating interns since Kutner. Although Taub has grown on me, I still can NOT stand 13.

Comment by sherimoonzombie – January 18, 2011 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Like others I was hoping Amber Tamblyn would stay. I’m not clear on the circumstances of her departure. If she left the show voluntarily I can understand it. Others like Kal Penn have done so. But if she’s being dumped I recommend that the producers re-examine their decision.

Comment by Bob Catt – January 15, 2011 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • while the new scent of an (almost) doctor is somewhat fresh I feel that Thirteen is a much more interesting charactor. I hope the writes don’t make her exit lame and 13s reapperance something we regret. House has always been fun and challenging to the viewer and will hopefully remain that way. The woman I would like to see return to House’s crazy life is Stacy. Now THAT would be some fine tv-viewing. Take note producers: an old flame reappearing with what seems to be a settling House would be fantastic!

Comment by mrs. house – January 15, 2011 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, please! Cuddy is just sooo wrong. How to make them listen? I heard House might not be renewed

Comment by linda futrell – January 16, 2011 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If they keep the House/Cuddy(I will NOT use the nickname) relationship going, maybe the show deserves to be cancelled. Whenever a show caters to fans wishing romantic involvement between two characters so incompatible, it always goes downhill quickly.

Comment by Judge – January 17, 2011 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ooohhhh…..good one!!

Comment by skunkmonster – January 17, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wanted Amber to stay because she brought a freshness to the group and a certain wide eyed attitude that made the show all the more interesting!! If she cannot be convinced to stay at least schedule some more episodes with her visiting!! She is such a strong actress and she was such a joy when she was on General Hospital…I have missed seeing her on the telly!! Amber can give more balance to this show and give a chance for growth for all the characters there…especially House’s character!!

Comment by Joy – January 15, 2011 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wish she was staying. She has put a bit of life back into the aging show. Such a shame. Why cant we have both of them

Comment by Guy – January 15, 2011 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amber Tamblyn’s character is one of those that sounded better on paper, but came off as just “plain annoying”, not even interestingly annoying. I’ll be very glad to have 13 back. I’m also glad Sam left. Wilson deserves so much better. As for House/Cuddy–Mazeltov; it’s even more interesting and in no way has “jumped the shark.”

Comment by Dee – January 15, 2011 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amber Tamblyn has been good for the show. Olivia Wilde is great and hopefully the story line will be more interesting when she returns. The last two seasons has been boring. House needs to get back to being House.

Comment by Ann Shankle – January 16, 2011 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please don’t write her off…I LOVED her character and the fact that she wasn’t casted as just another hottie. Loved her brains and the way she dealt with House. Verrrrrry interesting dynamic that will now be lost. :(

Comment by Dara – January 17, 2011 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked Masters for the same reason Omar did. She brought that unjaded perspective back into the mix. It felt like the new team jumped on Houses bandwagon much quicker than the original three, although Thirteen has had her moments of ethical questioning.

However, you make the team any bigger, and it is ridiculous. And who do you get rid of? I’d be okay with Taub going, but his character has brought in some interesting thoughts on married life that were not there before in the show. I’d say Chase or Foreman could move on, but the show worked so hard to bring them back. And we know that Foreman can’t get a job anywhere anyway.

All that is to say, her fate was inevitable unless Wilde decided to stick to movies and leave House all together. That would not have shocked me, to be honest.

Comment by Jennifer – January 17, 2011 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Amber Tamblyn and her character okay. I also liked Keiko Agena very much! She was awesome! Told Talb where to stick it! Who cares if they are not hot?! You get enough of that stuff with Cuddy. We need some female characters with sharp wit that the female viewers can root for and who can keep up with House and Wilson. If Amber won’t stay, get Keiko back. She was great on Gilmore Girls and she was great on her one episode of House. Get her back!

Comment by Bethany – January 17, 2011 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. Can’t believe I thought it was Foreman that didn’t stand up to House, it was so obviously wimpy Taub. He brings an interesting dynamic I guess, but as a character he is so tedious, as is 13. I’d like them to keep Chase, and toss the rest of the team out. And I’d like to say for the record that I really don’t mind House & Cuddy. They’re still themselves and haven’t been changed to fluffy, sappy versions of themselves, so I’m ok with it. Best example of seen yet of two major characters getting involved and not turning into an anonymous blob.

Comment by Chiana – January 18, 2011 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t like her as much as 13,but do like the high IQ part of her though,there should be a younger different version of house in the body of a woman,with out the mistrust of human kind house has.Too bad she is going though.So what do I know? lol

Comment by brown acid – January 17, 2011 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish she would go NOW! There is NO chemistry -I find I am embarrassed for the actress and the character. Even if 13 wasn’t coming back (and I am glad she is), this one is a loser. Some one said in the previous posts that the show might not be renewed. Is that for real? I sure hope not! This is the ONLY show I watch!!

Comment by Donna – January 17, 2011 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad to see her go…she was perfect for the show! But I’ll always love her work from “Joan of Arcadia” to “House”. BTW-whatever happened to the show “Joan of Arcadia”? It was such a refreshing and good “clean” show! The writers just had to bring the devil into it, poor decision! Welp, back to ‘House”!

Comment by Kas – January 17, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • whatever…

Comment by Kas – January 17, 2011 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked her on the show. Too bad they couldn’t keep both ladies on next season. ;)

Comment by robinepowell – January 17, 2011 10:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked her storyline, but I am VERY irritated by her bad acting. I will be sooo glad to see her go! I wish she was going NOW! I can’t stand to watch her. I fast forward past all her parts. She is better suited for soap operas where terrible acting is ok. I was going to stop watching the show due to her being added to the cast. I guess now I will just wait until next season to resume watching it.

Comment by tess – January 18, 2011 04:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Noooo. Convince her to stay. Otherwise I suspect she might have another gig. She is a decent actress and I like her better than the “13″ character.

Comment by MPC – January 18, 2011 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love the new doctor she is super cute and very funny. 13 is ok too but shes dying anyways so i think the new doctor is good cuz she gonna live a long life they both are good doctors but amber tamblyn is awsome i love her i just dont want her to go she seems like a wonderful,caring,awsome,beautiful doctor

Comment by alexander – January 20, 2011 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still miss Cameron, and I think Chase does, too. Something’s not right without her. They should have her back for guest appearances anyway.
    I’d be glad to have MMM (Martha Masters) stick around, as she provides some counterpoint to the many men on House’s team and the cynicism they all emit, but looks like that’s not happening. They need more women.
    I miss Thirteen too, and am glad she’ll return but– we need Cameron. In a way MMM was an attempt to replace the Cameron innocence and morality– wasn’t she?

Comment by Isabella – January 24, 2011 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad Masters is leaving, shes annoying House in the bad kind of way and I’m glad 13 is coming back I really want to see what they do with her disease-she also made Foreman not so boring.
    Now all we need is Cameron to come back without her blonde hair! but I know that will never happen because Morrison and Spencer probably refuse to work with each other.
    ~here’s to hoping~

Comment by Brooke – January 29, 2011 10:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THANK GOD!!!

I thought I was gonna have to stop watching House bc Masters just annoys me so much. Plus I miss 13 a lot, she was a stronger character, and Olivia Wilde is a much stronger actress. But I do miss Cameron too. She was the only one I think that could beat House or at least keep up with him. house just seems too independent now, like he doesnt really need a team for anything more than grudge work. I miss the puzzle aspect of it all.

Comment by Alexis – February 7, 2011 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll miss her. Wish she was staying. Added some spice to the show

Comment by blessed – February 8, 2011 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tamblyn is awesome and although I’m not in love with her character, she brought a different dynamic which was welcome. I would have liked to see her stay on longer, but good luck to her! looking forward to Thirteen’s return <3 <3

Comment by lipsticksocialism – February 22, 2011 04:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks like I will finally be able to start watching House again. I love the show but Tamblyn’s character was driving me crazy so I decided to take a break. Her character was SO annoying that after the 2nd eppy with her on it, I realized that I’d lost interest in House. I’m SO glad that this is just a short-term role and I will be able to get back to enjoying House again.

Comment by Meaghan – February 26, 2011 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually prefer Amber over Olivia. She has a greater range of emotions. Besides, Thirteen’s character is kind of mopey and annoying.

Comment by Gloria – March 1, 2011 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Never liked 13. Sorry she’ll be back and sorry Tamblyn will go.

Comment by Paul – March 15, 2011 12:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want 13 and Masters! 13 was hilarious and I can really connect with Masters. Masters is still undeveloped and could really be a great character. I’m liking her more and more!

Masters + Chase :)

Comment by Amanda – March 15, 2011 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She is beautiful, I love her to the point of almost obsession LOL In my opinion she was the best thing to happen to the show. I will surely miss her more than the 13 interacial bull crap!

Comment by Ray – March 17, 2011 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yep they say this is house last season, well after they got rit of some of the cast and put the new mousie face teen ager on that house insults ever show it should be the last season, this girl has all but destroyed the show along with the writers and week
    story lines… …this dumb girl reminds me of some teen ager on a reality show… house sucks , less hope she goes and
    the show imporves

Comment by joe amrican – March 22, 2011 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t care if I ever see 13 again. I wish she’d stay in jail. Masters rules. She’s the best character on House right now after House himself. I really, really, really hate that she’s got to go. 13 is a freaking waste.

Long live M.M.M.

Comment by Spaz – March 22, 2011 11:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, you’re wrong.

Comment by Spaz – March 22, 2011 11:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good riddance, I’m so happy about this, she was the most annoying character on the show and never believable for a second.

Comment by Nigel Tufnel – March 25, 2011 10:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Amber is a great actress. She is more believable than Laurie and Edelstein. She gives off this non-jaded aura of youth and brilliance. I used to like the House character, but now I find him tiresome and annoying. The things the writers make the House character do now are just plain silly and stupid.

Comment by Mimi – April 2, 2011 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, another character on House that I actually liked, and now she’s leaving. This show has no clue when they have something good

Comment by Nick – April 19, 2011 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really sorry she isn’t sticking around. I too, liked her better than 13. She brought something new and fresh to the cast.

Comment by MiniChef – April 20, 2011 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have really enjoyed the character nicely portrayed by Amber Tamblyn on House. So irritating and morally compulsive she was fun to watch! I will miss her.

Comment by Ruthey – April 21, 2011 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can they explode her or chop her head off as a means for her exit? At least that would be worth watching. As of now, because of the character and Tamblyn’s god awful acting I quit watching the show. Now maybe I can go back to it.

Comment by Azazel – April 24, 2011 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, I think this is a good move. Amber frowns in ever scene. She is SOOOOOO wrong for the series.

Comment by Heather – May 2, 2011 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The truth is I loved every episode that featured Tamblyn. Masters was such a good character, always contrasting House’s personality. It was a very interesting funny and entertaining interaction to watch. I wish she was put back in the series.

Comment by Mosca – May 5, 2011 12:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have loved Amber Tamblyn since her very early acting days. Especially Joan of Arcadia. We adopted the “God wave” in our family and call it the “Joan wave”. Loved her in “Traveling Pants”, the Hallmark Hall of Fame special she did, and her season in “House”. I got away from watching House for a long time then Amber joined the cast and I became an avid fan of the series again. She was indeed a breath of fresh air and rightfully challenged House. I will miss her. I wish her success and look forward to seeing her in movies or TV soon. Maybe somebody will get the idea she could have her OWN show again???

Comment by Pam – May 5, 2011 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I dont really like masters.. 13 is way better. I just think that masters is a bore. She cries a lot too. It’s annoying. At least they are giving her a good send off!

Comment by Casii – May 16, 2011 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hated her, completely insufferable. Least liked character ever.

Comment by Corey Stewart – March 25, 2012 12:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post