House Exclusive: Amber Tamblyn Checks Out

Get More: Exclusive, News, Scoop, Spoilers

The doctor is out… or at least she will be by the end of the season. House creator David Shore confirms to TVLine exclusively that Amber Tamblyn’s stint on the show will conclude this spring.

Although her deal with the show was only for one year — she was brought in to fill the temporary void left by Olivia Wilde’s Thirteen — the boss was hoping the Joan of Arcadia actress would extend her stay. “I wish she was sticking around, because she’s wonderful,” he says. “But she’s not going to be with us for [much longer].”

Tamblyn’s whip-smart MD-in-training Martha Masters will depart right around the time Wilde’s ailing Thirteen is slated to check back in. (I hear the two will briefly cross paths.) Shore says he’s “literally working” on the script for her final episode right now. “We’re going to give her a good sendoff. I’m not at liberty to discuss any details,” he insists, “but she’s getting a good sendoff.”

Tamblyn’s character got the typically chilly welcome from House and others when she arrived earlier this season, laboring to supplant her lack of a “Dr.” title with encyclopediac knowledge. “Shes an interesting character, that Masters,” notes Omar Epps (Foreman). “Our team is a little bit jaded, so we had to have a lot of patience with her.”

Thoughts? Were you, like Shore, hoping Tamblyn would lengthen her House call? Hit the comments!

Comments (317)

• I think Martha Masters had a good dynamic with the rest of the team. Like Omar Epps said the team is all very jaded and immoral in a way because they believe the ends justify the means, not to mention they’ve all gotten used to House, so to bring to bring a character in again that actually has a strong moral compass and treats patients as a people, not only is it a breath of fresh air plot wise, but from a character standpoint, it reminded the rest of the team that they are human-beings dealing with other human-beings. BUT on the other hand the “guy” in me says: WOHOO OLIVIA WILDE IS COMING BACK, BIG BLUE EYES POUTTY LIPS AND ALL YEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAH!

Comment by Liam Mahoney – January 13, 2011 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To the person that commented about killing off one of the characters: in my opinion, killing off someone who isnt around anymore, yet is still close to the group would do the trick. Like a phone call telling chase that camerons been in a fatal car wreck, or something along those lines.

Comment by Chris Quigley – January 13, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Especially if that character isn’t coming back , I can see it , though , personally , I would like to hear of Cameron dying from a sudden illness than a violent car crash . I ‘d like to see Masters graduate and get her doctor’s license by the end of her appearance on House and have the producers leave the door open so that the character can return once in awhile to help the team .

Comment by Tracy Murray – January 13, 2011 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Amber Tamblyn and her character. I was hoping she would stick around, her character is a refreshing change from the jaded and snide rest of the team, including 13.

Comment by Kay Cook – January 13, 2011 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • totally agree – I really like Amber Tamblyn, and I liked the dynamic of her character. I’ll miss her!

Comment by raevis – January 13, 2011 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I like her having a form of autistic reaction to everything as well as her wanting to be honest. Gives a fight to every scene which is nice.

Comment by Shan – January 13, 2011 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Love Amber’s character. She is just what this show needed to add spice and new point of view. I was so glad to see what she had to offer and NOW SHE’S LEAVING!!!!! So sad.

Comment by Judy – January 13, 2011 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aw, it’s too bad that she will leave. I really thought she was PERFECT. I liked her character. Of course my husband would like cameron and 13 back, but I still think Tamblyn is a perfect fit with this cast.

Comment by oopsie – January 13, 2011 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Ms. Tamblyn should be kept on. Although I like Thirteen, I like Ms. Tamblyn a whole lot more. She’s got more morals and conscience than either Cameron and Thirteen combined. While the other two consorted with the male actors, Tamblyn keeps her distance which is a nice relief. But it would be interesting to see both Tamblyn’s and Wilde’s characters interact in a season, not just to cross path’s once. I think she’s a nice change. :)

Comment by Nicole – January 13, 2011 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly I’m glad to see her go! I think her character is annoying and slows down the fast pase witt of the show!

Comment by Sarah Wald – January 13, 2011 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with your comment. she did not fit the show and I found it very difficult to watch her!! Glad to see her go:)

Comment by Susan Custer – January 13, 2011 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. I liked her okay at first, but I know she will annoy me if she’s there for more than one season.

Comment by kmpeters – January 13, 2011 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh god yes, you took the words right out of my mouth

Comment by Samantha – January 13, 2011 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank God some people agree with me that she didn’t add anything good to the show at all.

Comment by Fan1906 – January 13, 2011 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Add me to the list of people jumping for joy. MM was an unoriginal, watered-down version of Cameron. There was no depth to her character, and like others said, she just didn’t fit with the House vibe. SAYONARA!

Comment by Cheery – January 13, 2011 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree!

Comment by Hannah – January 15, 2011 07:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i am glad she is leaving, she’s cute but shes a bit toooo corky/acty,,she brings a bit of an un- natural vibe to the show, didnt seemed to fit

check out a song i wrote for house trying to get it on there go to youtube and type in “a dose of reason” please leave some love

daniel

Comment by daniel jakubovic – January 13, 2011 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tamblyn’s character seemed a bit too immature for this particular role. She did not fit in with the other characters. Often wondered why was she even cast?

Comment by Kim – January 13, 2011 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love it when you get to interview David Shore. He created my favorite show on TV right now. Speaking of which, did you get any information about the retool he had to do this season? Or how about what he’s planning with House and Cuddy? Rumor has it they’re breaking up at the end of the season by the latest. Some think they break up by episode 16. Since your last spoiler about at least one couple breaking up, everyone’s pretty sure House and Cuddy are splitting.

Comment by Aiden – January 13, 2011 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so thrilled to hear she’s getting the boot. I miss Thirteen so much. I miss Cameron too, but I am still hopeful they will bring her back one day. And I miss Thirteen and Foreman being together, they were such a good match until Foreman screwed everything up.

Comment by Gennifer – January 13, 2011 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think she was an interesting character….. but she’s no 13. Time to bring back the real deal. If for one reason or another they want to bring her back in a guest spot that’s fine with me.

Comment by Tom – January 13, 2011 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would take masters over 13, any day! 13 just whines all day n no longer adds anything to the show(aside from sex appeal)…masters has been a great addition to the team…if we must keep 13, why cant masters stay too?

Comment by kristy – January 13, 2011 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thirteen does not whine, I don’t even have one example in my mind in which she did whine (and I’m a pretty big fan of the show)

Comment by Fan1906 – January 13, 2011 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have been watching HOUSE from day one , I LOVE IT ! It is my fav. and I must say, I am glad AMBER TAMBLYN is leaving !! she is just not mean and nasty enough !! KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK GUYS !!!

Comment by BETH KACHINSKI – January 13, 2011 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was hoping there would be a guest appearance by David Cross. bummer.

Comment by Furious Moe – January 13, 2011 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The character of Martha Masters could have EASILY gone for 2 full seasons of House (but Thirteen is to hottt to keep off camera haha)

Comment by kissmyasthma99 – January 13, 2011 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate to see Amber go, she is just the cutest little thing.

Comment by cc – January 13, 2011 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked Amber Tamblyn’s character but like many posters here I do miss Olivia Wilde as 13. Her conscience is strong but more malleable than Masters’. Nice run though!!

Comment by Krishna – January 13, 2011 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m actually glad to see her character go. She seems like a lovely person but her Dr. Masters got to be quite annoying on the show. Her personality did not mix well with the others. Thirteen brought so much more to the show. She had a much more exciting lifestyle and she had so many layers to her. I think that they have only begun to scratch the surface with her. I didn’t even miss Cameron once she joined the team. Perhaps it’s just me but I like more complex characters.

Comment by Jaime – January 13, 2011 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to agree with the naysayers. I thought she looked like a fish out of water, and I don’t mean her character’s persona vs. the rest of the group. I feel like Ms. Tamblyn just wasn’t a good fit with the vibe of the ensemble. I’ll even go so far as to say her presence in the episodes disrupted my usual groovy, happy mood while watching. Sorry, Amber!

Comment by Regina – January 13, 2011 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Esta es la major serie que ha existido y con la partisipacion de Amber se pondra mejo

Comment by Isaac Fuentes – January 13, 2011 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am sad that Amber Tamblyn is leaving….she is and will always be one of the best young actresses around. I must agree she did not click very well with the rest of the characters but it was nice to see someone who doesn’t tip toe around Dr. House. The show still remains to be my number one show. I just love Hugh Laurie as Dr. House.

Comment by Sher – January 13, 2011 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think that enough people gave her a chance…I think she is great! People look at her as a kid, not the actress she is.

Comment by Noreen – January 13, 2011 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • glad to say goodbye, it’s the least I can do…she just doesn’t have that magnet every other character has that draws you in to sit through every commercial break, resisting the urge to pee thinking you’ll miss something while away…I cried when Amber died…I will NOT shed a tear for this send off…

Comment by nicki – January 13, 2011 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry but I like Olivia Wilde’s character better. Like Jaime said, she has more layers. I wouldn’t mind Amber guest starring on a few episodes.

Comment by Felimarie – January 13, 2011 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While House is my favorite TV show, just got done re-watching all of the episodes starting from Season One, I just didnt ever really feel that connection of Ambers character. She aside from House is a good actress, but she’s just been in too many other things to see her in this specific TV Series, almost too young for the group. I miss Thirteen, hope she isn’t at some point written off to die as a result of her Huntingtons and will be glad to have her back on the team, but as far as Tamblyn, I am just not sad that she is leaving the show.

Comment by Jen – January 13, 2011 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t mind her at all i don’t think it matters who they put on there. The writers do an fantastic job with whoever…

Comment by Randy – January 13, 2011 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope she leaves after axe-murdering 13.

Comment by Pixy – January 13, 2011 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • :O

Simply all I can say is :O

Comment by Vega – January 13, 2011 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate that she is leaving, though she added to the show and I hated 13 on many different levels. I hope her return is very short term.

Comment by dcm – January 13, 2011 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved her part, it was like a little House just female. I think she really added a new perspective to the show it needed something else other than House’s relationship with Cuddy that everybody knew was going to happen and they dragged that out way too long and now they are going to end someone FRESH, what a shame!! good-luck with what you try and pull off this time, you know what they say if it aint broken dont fix it, she was a good fix and should be left alone.

Comment by Janice S. – January 13, 2011 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What’s happening to [H]ouse ? OW and AT will both leave. Doris Egan is gone. No one at the PCA except LE. Everyone taking on other projects i.e. Greg Yaitanes. Katie Jacobs MIA & Story Arcs cancelled at the last moment. Are we dead in the water come May ?

Comment by Toughestfrail – January 13, 2011 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • kill her off like they did to kutner

Comment by jen – January 13, 2011 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked having Amber’s character…it was a breath of fresh air because she had feelings for the people she treated and didn’t see them as just a challenge or a disease. there was a balance…but i also look for ward to seeing 13 ocme back

Comment by JAne Taylor – January 13, 2011 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My husband and I love Amber Tamblyn. I had quit watching House and decided to give it another try once Amber was hired. How could she fit in because the show has been in older reruns for weeks now. I will watch until Amber goes and when she goes, so will we.

Comment by Debbie Jacobi – January 13, 2011 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • love it!

Comment by JenJen – January 13, 2011 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • jennifer morison fue la mejor con mucha diferencia.Desde que no esta la serie a sido un fracaso.Yo si fuera Jennifer jamas volveria a House su trato ha sido vergonzoso con el esperma y tantas tonterias,nunca he visto escribir un papel tan mal.Si vuelve 13 la serie seguira peor que ahora

Comment by ane – January 13, 2011 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring be back Cameron!
    she is the best :)

Comment by judy – January 13, 2011 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved her character! Wish she would stay, but I can understand she has hunger for bigger and better gigs!

Comment by Wild – January 13, 2011 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d like to see 13 and Cameron both come back. Tamblyn is great too, but time for her to go.

Comment by Colleen – January 13, 2011 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s good to change things up from time to time, but I can’t wait till Olivia Wilde gets back on the set. :D

Comment by Weeeee – January 13, 2011 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Masters was too anti house for me she did make for interesting character interaction such as foreman and chase bugging the hell out of taub but still shes just too. . . too pure i guess, too much of a goodie two shoes

Comment by Jordan – January 13, 2011 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank God!!! She was ruining the show. Her character is awful.

Comment by Rachel – January 13, 2011 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i just love amber tamblyn! i would really enjoy her to a permanent part of the cast! she will b missed!!

Comment by loretta – January 13, 2011 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No. I’m glad she’s leaving. Her character has had a few interesting moments, but I would have preferred it just sticking with Foreman, Chase and Taub while Thirteen was gone.

Comment by Emgee – January 13, 2011 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it will be a great loss to see her go!! I think her character is awesome….

Comment by Karen – January 13, 2011 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • honestly I am more interested in House’s reaction of Masters’s leaving and thirteen comming back, because if remember, House does not like change very much, he like consistence and he was very comfortable with 13. im curious to see how House is gonna handle 13′s “betayal” and how he’s gonna depart from a girl whom he was surprisingly and strangly attached to! other than that, although Amber Tamblyn was wonderfully fresh and interesting, i looooove 13 and am glad to have her back. i thought after haveing a taste of the big screen, Olivia Wilde wouldnt come back to TV, but glad to know she’s staying true to her audience :) well any way it turns out, i trust that the “House” writers would do a wonderfull job as always in surprising us. looking forward to it :)

Comment by lucy – January 13, 2011 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t understand why they keep Olivia Wilde. I don’t think she is a very good actress. I wish the character who played Cameron had stayed.

Comment by Palma Lee Stephens – January 13, 2011 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want to know – did the actress choose to leave, or just terminated by the writers and producers? I liked her character – she brought a fresh new contrast to the cast. If the others didn’t like her, then their heads are too big.

Comment by Mary Dill – January 13, 2011 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Masters hasn’t been on the show long enough for her character to be developed. I can think of so many sub-plots that could add ‘layers’ to her character. I enjoyed her interaction with House. No one else can compete with him. Anyway, I hope they bring her back soon – I also am happy that Olivia is coming back. I like her character on House and she seems like a great person in real-life, too.

Comment by Sherrie – January 13, 2011 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • she is an amazing actress but I would rather see her do her OWN show. She was great and much needed for House but she is so talented that I want to see her be a main title character of her own show.

Comment by Amber – January 13, 2011 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, I liked her better than Thirteen… Bring Cameron back!

Comment by Sam – January 13, 2011 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AGREED! Cameron all the way!! Loved her, loved her as part of the team..not been replacable thus far!

Comment by Kathi – January 14, 2011 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed too! I liked Cameron the most. Thirteen and Martha are okay too, but Cameron was the best. A shame that she isn’t coming back..
        After every episode that Cameron wasn’t in, I checked the names in the intro. The first time I didn’t saw the name ‘Jennifer Morrison’ I knew enough… :(
        Martha is a cool kid too. :) Thirteen too, but they all have different, interesting sides.. :)

And indeed, through time, the story line has changed, but it’s not bad, just… different! :)

Comment by Shirley – January 14, 2011 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post