Exclusive

House Exclusive: Amber Tamblyn Checks Out

The doctor is out… or at least she will be by the end of the season. House creator David Shore confirms to TVLine exclusively that Amber Tamblyn’s stint on the show will conclude this spring.

Although her deal with the show was only for one year — she was brought in to fill the temporary void left by Olivia Wilde’s Thirteen — the boss was hoping the Joan of Arcadia actress would extend her stay. “I wish she was sticking around, because she’s wonderful,” he says. “But she’s not going to be with us for [much longer].”

Tamblyn’s whip-smart MD-in-training Martha Masters will depart right around the time Wilde’s ailing Thirteen is slated to check back in. (I hear the two will briefly cross paths.) Shore says he’s “literally working” on the script for her final episode right now. “We’re going to give her a good sendoff. I’m not at liberty to discuss any details,” he insists, “but she’s getting a good sendoff.”

Tamblyn’s character got the typically chilly welcome from House and others when she arrived earlier this season, laboring to supplant her lack of a “Dr.” title with encyclopediac knowledge. “Shes an interesting character, that Masters,” notes Omar Epps (Foreman). “Our team is a little bit jaded, so we had to have a lot of patience with her.”

Thoughts? Were you, like Shore, hoping Tamblyn would lengthen her House call? Hit the comments!

1. Yngwie says:

I am glad actually that she will be quiting probably by the end of this season because honestly her character was more annoying than Cameron’s!
    Olivia Wylde’s character though was one of the best additions to House, She’s hot, intelligent and manipulative at times it would be great to get her back on the team especially after she left without prior notice and still noone even knows where she is !

2. Toadie says:

The 13 character is ok, though she has a built-in limited shelf life (unless Foreman finds a cure….right!)…couldn’t stand goody two-shoes Cameron and Tamblyn hasn’t been on long enough for me to properly form an opinion either way…

…I miss CB!

3. miniature says:

Hire martha, see her thru senior education, and getting officially known as a doc in House.

Having 2 female docs in the team makes more sense than having 3 males in the team.

Rehire Cameron, fire 13, and keep Martha. Done.

4. Kristi says:

Oh, good. I’m not a fan of her character.

5. Kale says:

The best female role on House was the beautiful and amazing Franka Potente on the 2009 season premier. Bring her back and tear House’s heart apart with what he has with Cuddy and the brief moment he had with Lydia. Heck, give her a role as an administrative assistant or something…anything…just bring her back.

6. Siul says:

I Think that Cameron should back,she is way better than 13 and this new girl…i think between 13 and Martha(?) i prefer Martha,but 13 is prettier than her,but the most beautiful of the show is Cameron

7. Daniyah says:

I miss Cameron and 13! Bring them both back asap!

8. miniature says:

is there a chance that we could hire some asians as well? i kinda miss kal penn’s performance in season 4 and 5.

hiring some asian would be a bonus, since we have a brit(hugh laurie) and a aussie(jesse spencer)

9. Teresa says:

I love House w/ all the changes. It really doesn’t matter who else is there as long as House and Cutty are! Although Wilson could NEVER be replaced. This show could never be “stale” My favorite~

10. Hannah says:

I don’t have any issue with that, I don’t like here and I don’t like here character at all. I miss Thirteen so much, and I miss Cameron too. It’s to bad that Cameron’s not coming back. But I think that Tirtheen will, because when the Introsong come, here name stands there (Olivia Wilde)

House is the best TV-show on earth!

11. Denise says:

I really hate to see her go. She does add a little something different to the show, but I do not think the show is boring at all. It does seem most people miss Cameron and hate the way she left the show.Most people like OW and want her back,[mostly guys,LOL].I think as long as House airs, I will watch it, but I do like to see Wilson and House interact,especially since Cuddy and House are a couple. It gives the show a little more depth to see the crazy friendship they have.

12. wink says:

i’d like to see a cameron + 13 + martha team versus taub + chase + foreman team. that shud be a season to remember.

13. bonnie says:

Soooo glad Thirteen is coming back soon! Tamblyn is ok but . . . . .

14. tj says:

I think she added to the show, she kept House on his toes especially since she knew almost as much as him without the experience and schooling! She was a good rival and caused him to re-think his actions (even if briefly).

15. Stacie says:

Never cared much for Amber’s character. Yet I am EXTREMELY excited that Olivia Wilde is returning!!! Her character Thirteen is fantastic. She fits into House’s team perfectly!!!

16. Jessica says:

I’m so glad that Amber Tamblyn is going… I couldn’t STAND her character. I’m thrilled that Thirteen is coming back!! Woohoo!! I love Olivia Wilde :)

17. Joanna says:

I personally liked her character. She was a challenge to House, being as smart and brilliant as he is. I would rather have her character than either Cameron or 13, nothing against the 2 just thought Cameron was boring and 13 was just ok. She also was young enough to attract the younger generation with the show. I think she could have made the show a little more interesting.

18. Amber says:

I actually liked her character. Brought a new angle in and kinda tossed things around, rather than the same-old same-old PROBLEM-> CURE-> CURE FAILS, NEXT CURE-> CURE FAILS, TRY EXPERIMENTAL CURE AND LIE TO PATIENT-> WOO SAVED!

19. Laura Cristina says:

I loooove House! The best! *-*

20. Damon Gesell says:

She was a good addition, but only for a short time. The honesty was good, but wouldn’t work with the show. Olivia Wilde needs to come back, 13 is so hot.

• Elaine says:

“Hot” should never be used in regard to this show again. David Shore gloried in how “hot” Olivia Wilde was when she first came on the scene, and she did nothing for this show. In fact, she became part of the problem with all her outrageous storylines. Some people – not me – would consider Cuddy’s frequent nudity “hot,” and that has done nothing for the show either. We’ve seen ‘em, Cuddy. Now put them away. This show used to be “hot,” but they need to go back to the early seasons to see how that came about and then figure out how they lost it.

21. Marthinus says:

I like the 13 character. Cameron sucked, glad she is gone. She was such a downer.

Amber, the travelling pants movie ruined her for me, sorry, could take her serious at all. It would be like the Gilmore girl playing a Dr. It is just so far out, it can’t be sold a a truth.

22. Nesserz says:

I actually like Amber’s character better. I do like Olivia’s character, don’t get me wrong, but I like the fact that Amber’s character is not afraid of House and tells it like it is. Like his complete opposite. I actually wish she would stay longer or even permanently. I could honestly careless if 13 came back.

PLUS..WHY would you wanna leave House?! Best Tv Show Everr! :)

23. Dusty Hansard says:

Bring back 13 as soon as you can–she is soooooooooooooo HOT!!! Oh, and this chick–just isn’t!!!

24. daniela says:

I would love to see a women team, with master, cameron and 13, but the show is so sexist, that there is always only 1 woman on the team, in fact even Lisa said that she will love to have more interacton with the female actresses cause cuddy barely has talk to Cameron, 13 or Masters.
    In fact I don’t think Cameron had an scene alone with 13.

25. Rose says:

I really prefer Amber’s character – it’s lovely to have someone with the IQ to ruffle House’s feathers and provide a new focus for the team. They feel a little more defined than during the last season. I thought that Amber was wonderful in Joan of Arcadia too – wish she wasn’t going!

26. Kathy says:

I am so happy to hear Thirteen is coming back…I love the show and missed her so when she left…Amber wasn’t that bad, I dont know what all the talk about her is about….but just happy that 13 is coming back…miss Cameron too..wish she was coming back also…I love the show no matter who is on it..as long as House stays put with Cuddy, and Wilson…

• Michaela says:

ITA with the last part of this post. I’m not that stuck on 13 and if she left I wouldn’t cry, but I don’t hate her. I did like Amber and I don’t want Cameron back because it feels too rerun. Though I liked Cameron okay too when she was on. The part I thoroughly agree on is as long as House Cuddy and Wilson are there, I’m there.

27. Greywolf says:

I say keep Masters, 13, Chase and Foreman, get rid of Taub. He’s too wishy washy with House and the others and really just becomes a pesky fly you want to keep shooing off the screen. If we can’t get Tamblin for another season, then perhaps another option would be someone with the intelligence toned down a little from Master’s character, but knows her stuff, and can give as good as she gets from House, someone to put him in check a little with his smart-ass ridicule of his team members. Someone House actually learns to respect because she meets him head on tit for tat so to speak. A good person for such a role would be Julianna Margulies (sic) or even if we could Alex Kingston (which may be hard with her current work with Doctor Who).

28. Suse says:

Sorry to see Amber is leaving, much preferred her character to Thirteen who I find annoying.

I’d rather have Cameron back to be honest.

29. Holly says:

Too bad. Amber Tamblyn’s character was a breath of fresh air on the show. They need a new character or two next season-if they have one-and I certainly hope they do. The old ducks are not as interesting anymore and they’re all sort of the same now. They need someone a little different to offset them-or someone like Kutner used to be. Kutner was great.

30. Diane says:

I like Amber as an actress and always have. Her current character is interesting, too. HOUSE has begun to bore me. This seasons ‘love affair’ with Cuddy is so unbelievable and a waste of time. I have not cared for Cuddy from the start nor did I like Cameron. 13 was just okay.

Foreman drives me CRAZY. He always seems angry and too full of himself. He IS House. I do like Chase and Taub. Loved Kutner.

31. wesley says:

i used to love this show, but i think it has jumped the shark if you know what i mean. for years house’s main objective was to sleep with cuddy, now that he has done that, each episode seems to show house can do what he wants and still gets the girl, unrealistic

32. Rico says:

Didn’t like the character…I disliked Cameron, and she was Super-Cameron!

33. When they let Ms. Tamblyn go, they have to realize that it won’t get any better than this. Her character has so much potential to grow and expand. She is an incredible talent. What a waste. First CBS cancels on of the most refreshing shows in decades (Joan of A) and now Fox is letting her go. Come on guys, wake up! This young woman is a find! Think again, please!

34. Ravanna says:

Well Amber your character was interesting and I wish you best of luck in whatever your next venture is. As for her character in House she WAS a conundrum and did I believe give House’s character something tothink about on several levels of his intellectual mind, be that where it may. I think her age and backbone along with her intellect was a good idea and her image was a + for role modeling. I do believe that her character was a nice change and that having a little bit of love/hate of characters shaking things up is great for ratings. 13’s character is wild, beautiful and smart but kinda boring in way. I like her just fine. She is very beautiful and a good actress. Just the role seems to have petered out a bit for me at least. Cameron is also just as pleasing to the eye and I like the character. To tell you the truth it would be interesting to see Amber’s character perhaps come back later or make appearances here and there once the “team” is back together to shake it up and give it life. Challenge IS a great motivator. Just my thoughts… :)

35. Rusty says:

It’s too bad that Amber (Anne Dudek) was killed off. She was absolutely terrific. Maybe a twin that nobody knew about??? Tamblin is great on the show, it’s too bad she can’t continue in future episodes, maybe some cameos next season or make her Cuddy’s assistant? Love 13 and hope something can be done to ensure her role stays alive. I think though, with her blossoming big screen career, her days are numbered. Just don’t do a major tear jerker, like when Amber died. I still have the sniffles every time I watch that episode.

36. Dawn says:

No, don’t let her go!! She is fantastic! She brings an interesting twist with her naivety. 13 is great though, Get rid of Foreman and keep Amber!

37. Sam says:

If you ask me I think you need to keep her but use her as Houses equal. I love all the episodes where House has his ego checked but some how he wins in the end. If he is challenged more I think the show would be more intreging. Do note I don’t think House can ever LOSE lol. This show shouldn’t be about super models it’s about the best doc. ever and you need to have some one who challenges him and Formen falls alittle short!

38. Mike P says:

The Masters character is good, and with development could be one we come to know well as have the others. Due to a recent operation, I have been home for three weeks and have seen a great number of House reruns. I would like to see the writers bring back, at least for a partial stint, if not full time, Big Love. I liked the character and House’s interaction with him. He has also been the only character who was actively participating in a religion in serving as a foil to House’s unbelieving ways.

39. Cturner68 says:

Loved Amber (the actress) Don’t like the new girl …..yes i agree she is as annoying as Cameron !! LOVED LOVED LOVED 13 !!!!! Please bring her back ….also like how you “brought ” Amber back to mess with HOUSE :)

40. Ann says:

I really like her character but I also like 13 and Cameron. All the female characters have been unique and add to the show in their own way.

41. Cassie says:

Oh well we knew she would probably not stick around for long. Oliva Wilde is coming back and she will probably not stick around for that long either since she is doing so many movies these days. As long as Jesse Spencer stays with the show I will still watch. If they ever let him go I’ll go with him, because I really don’t like Foreman & Taub

42. Debraggery says:

Don’t really care, I’m just happy that Thirteen is coming back!

43. Alison says:

Good I’m glad she’s leaving, find the character irritating. Looking forward to having 13 back!

44. christina says:

Never really liked the character!! I totally miss 13….

45. Deb says:

I think she should stay. Love her with Hugh

46. Christian says:

someone needs to die. the show is unfortunately becoming a tad stale killing someone off might just be the remedy.

47. raynebowwe says:

I think that no matter what I’ll still love the show! Its very informative & yet entertaining!

48. kate says:

I loved the Masters character! Her naivety and optimism really worked well against House’s grumpyness. Such a great actress and a wonderful addition to Season 7 – it’s a shame she isn’t sticking around longer but hopefully 13’s storyline will make up for it :).

49. Bugs Bunny says:

I’m actually sorry Tamblyn is leaving. Despite all of the drama written into 13’s character I find her boring and a one dimensional actress.

50. June says:

Kate got it exactly right: Amber Tamblyn’s Masters character’s “naivete and optimism really worked well against House’s grumpy [jadedness]…”. I WAS FASCINATED by her character. I truly hope she’ll be back at least now and then. She was amazing. A.T nailed that character perfectly!