Exclusive

House Exclusive: Amber Tamblyn Checks Out

The doctor is out… or at least she will be by the end of the season. House creator David Shore confirms to TVLine exclusively that Amber Tamblyn’s stint on the show will conclude this spring.

Although her deal with the show was only for one year — she was brought in to fill the temporary void left by Olivia Wilde’s Thirteen — the boss was hoping the Joan of Arcadia actress would extend her stay. “I wish she was sticking around, because she’s wonderful,” he says. “But she’s not going to be with us for [much longer].”

Tamblyn’s whip-smart MD-in-training Martha Masters will depart right around the time Wilde’s ailing Thirteen is slated to check back in. (I hear the two will briefly cross paths.) Shore says he’s “literally working” on the script for her final episode right now. “We’re going to give her a good sendoff. I’m not at liberty to discuss any details,” he insists, “but she’s getting a good sendoff.”

Tamblyn’s character got the typically chilly welcome from House and others when she arrived earlier this season, laboring to supplant her lack of a “Dr.” title with encyclopediac knowledge. “Shes an interesting character, that Masters,” notes Omar Epps (Foreman). “Our team is a little bit jaded, so we had to have a lot of patience with her.”

Thoughts? Were you, like Shore, hoping Tamblyn would lengthen her House call? Hit the comments!

1. Elizabeth says:

bummer…

• Carmen says:

I remember Amber mostly as Emily on General Hospital and the title character on Joan of Arcadia and the movie Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants – ALL great.

I was so happy when I read she was coming to HOUSE; thinking they’d finally have 2 women on House’s team. haha Even so, I LOVE watching her the show. She is real breath of fresh air on this wonderful show and I just love the way her character interacts with the other characters.

I was really hoping they’d keep her around for a long, long time. Even after her short tenure, I will miss her.

• JP says:

I don’t think she was a breath of fresh air on HOUSE at all. I hated her. I hated everything about her character, and I hated the awkward dynamic she brought to the show.

• Bruce 53 says:

With all of the termoil going on with the cast, production issues
      House will wind up going off the air. On and off the show there is
      too much koas.

• jahgirl says:

I have really enjoyed her on the show. Matching Wits with House and her Morals. It will be sad to see her go.

• Chris says:

Martha Masters sucks!
      Good riddance!
      This is the most boring, show-stopping character I have ever seen on House. Thank GOD!!!

• Bill says:

she is awful, bring back thirteen!!!!!!!!!!

• Holly says:

After Masters has the patient that eats the women he kills, she wont be there anymore. 13 has been in jail or an institution of some kind, I am glad she is coming back, it puts a piece of the puzzle together that has been missing..but that is all I gather from the preview.

• GeyzeR says:

Amber is a good actress, better then Olivia. It is pity that must be a good looking woman in the show for rating. Even so, Olivia has no breast and is cold.

• Rita Kaufmann says:

Of all the female actresses they have had on House, Amber Tamblyn was by far my favorite. I thought she brought a positive balance to House’s negativity. Actually, I was very disappointed how the writers made her capitulate to House’s way of thinking on her last show. I adored her honesty and the sparring between her and House was priceless. I will miss Amber and wish her every success in whatever endeavor she pursues. Maybe if enough of us write in, maybe just maybe she might return!

2. Foster says:

She’s a much better actress than OW. Her character, however, is even more annoying than Cameron once was.

3. marie says:

I’m not mad or happy of this new. she was a good actress but i never connect with the character. But I’m sill glad they give her a good send off .

4. Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Booooooo.

5. JMA says:

A good sendoff? I bet her sendoff will be as better as Jennifer Morrison’s sendoff, tacky.

6. Amber says:

Wow. Not really breaking news, Mike. We knew from the beginning it was a short-term contract, and Tamblyn never made serious noises about wanting to stay. I’ll enjoy while she’s here. Since Tron, I like Wilde again, but I still find 13 a deadly bore. House has generally been horrible at writing female characters.

• Dimplemonkey says:

Amber, you’re so dead on about the female characters on House. They seem to take a backseat to the male leads. Even the episode that featured just Cuddy was an indirect way of telling us that her character was underdeveloped. Tamblyn will be missed by me only because she’s a great actress, her role was almost tomboyish, thus adding fuel to your theories. Allow me to add more… the House iPhone app features several video shorts of a male character, “Nurse Jeffrey”, who I thought had great potential to be a regular on the main show! Where’s he?

7. Binky says:

And here I thought Wilde is finally leaving for good. Nothing against her or her character. I actually am quite a fan of Wilde, but it’s just she’s been gone so long and she’s doing so many movies. I was so sure she’ll leave the show before the season wraps.

• HAPPY says:

I’m glad you will send Amber off in a good way, Young at her age if she would come back at time on House it would be a more qualified doctor in the role she had played. Glad Olivia is coming back. You can put me on the show. As a phlebotomist that can really draw blood to attention to HOUSE. I can show House something he has never seen. Give Cuddy the run around on in the hospital. Good story ? But we need a fresh Season 8 that is not only House and Cuddy but maybe House and Patients get caught up in a love triangle. Let me be the one to be the patient on this story line. I have a story that you all can write that would have viewers wonder what would happen down the line. If some one can get back with me. You don’t have to pay me just get to where Fox studios are and we can talk. Thanks for what you all do for the fans of HOUSE, we need a new change for season 8.

8. Bruna Cora says:

I prefer Martha! But I’m glad they give her a good send off !

9. danity says:

Awww I like her. Damnit they better bring Thirteen back! I know Olivia is extremely busy being awesome with films right now, but she needs to go back to House stat! I miss House can’t wait for monday’s new episode!

10. jess says:

I love 13, can’t wait for we to come back. and I haven’t been watching the she as dedicatedly as I was when 13 was on the show. but I love Ambers character too, I won’t be fazed when she leaves though.

11. Cantare says:

Rats. I like her. But I was starting to thaw toward 13 once they broke her up with the always boring Foreman. So I’m sort of looking forward to seeing what they do with her when she comes back.

12. M says:

This sucks. I was thisclose to giving up on House this year, but her character completely reinvigorated the show.

13. B. says:

Nooooo! She was awesome! Why!!!! Everyone likes her :( Her character is amazing…and she’s terrific!!!

14. Melissa says:

Boooooooo!!!!!!!! I have loved Amber since I was about 13 and she was starting out as Emily on GH. So sad she is leaving, especially because I’m not exactly a big fan of OW or 13.

15. Ant says:

That’s sad. While I like Olivia Wilde (and her prominent family), she is in the wrong business. Back to cringing again.

16. jason says:

i was totally hoping she would stick around! I think the show benefits from new blood like the way it did when it brought 13 and the others on the show. and her character is pretty great. AT is an interesting actress to watch. i loved her in “the unusual’s” it was to bad that didn’t last a little longer

17. Jerry says:

I have no opinion, because she’s only been in what, 2 episodes? And I feel like House has been off the air for months. Will be able to form an opinion once it comes back next week.

18. Aidan says:

LAME!
    Amber is a killer actress and i was hoping she’d become a regular.
    “Boo you whore” comes to mind.

19. freya says:

She hasn’t been in the show long in terms of episodes actually aired but her character has seemed interesting and has been a breath of fresh air to the team. Sorry for DS and the crew if they are going to regret loosing her. I’m sure her remaining episodes will be great and I wish her all the best.

20. Karo says:

I wonder if DS and KJ have already realized how stupid they are by letting JMo go. Lol Cameron was one of the most (and still is) favorite Character and got the crappiest exit in TV-history. But I`m glad that DS is trying to do better this time. Sad that she wants to go,I like 3M much more than 13 and Amber is a much better actress.

21. syd says:

when is 13 coming back? that’s all i want to know!

22. Rob J. says:

That Tamblyn chose not to stay on the show makes me wonder what the show’s working environment is like. Like that of Princeton-Plainsboro but with Jacobs or Shore in the House role?

23. Maria says:

Total bummer, she’s so great… I relate to her so much, we have a lot in common… Hopefully OW stays permanently, I’m happy for her success and everything but if they’re going to be sending Amber off Olivia might as well stick around for good.

24. Elka says:

Tamblyn is awesome, Masters is awesome, but her being a third-year student never sat well with me. At least Thirteen is actually a doctor.

25. RP says:

Sad news. I honestly stopped watching for a while, but tuned back in when I heard how great she was. House will probably get erased from the DVR schedule again now. I just don’t get it. They’re fairly bad at writing any female character (CTB being a notable exception), yet none of the male characters are prizes either… besides House, and the 2.5 seconds Wilson appears.

tl;dr: Tamblyn was a breath of fresh air, and even with “13” coming back, it’s going to get awfully stagnant again.

26. Anika says:

I miss Cameron.

27. karin says:

Great news….

28. daniela says:

I miss CAMERON, she was my favorite character and her exit storyline was awful

29. Roland says:

Do whatever is necessary to keep her there.

I think she is a fine actress and really put a neat character twist to test House on every level.

30. stcysctt says:

GOOD!! She is SOOOOO BORING!!!

31. Angela says:

I never liked her or the way they dressed her so I am glad to see her go. Can’t wait for 13’s return!

32. sue says:

Why don’t they just keep her AND thirteen. That would make an interesting interaction, not only between them, but the rest of the team, and would probably drive HOUSE nuts!

The show is fantastic now, but just think of all the craziness with all of them.

Whether she stays or goes, I am still going to watch it.

33. Nijel says:

She was a breath of fresh air for a show that was getting stale. Even the return of 13 may not alter that

34. Gary F. Rogers says:

Oh, geeze! Are the “House” creative writing team losing their edge? It appears to me, that the revolving door cast of women actors have some sort of “differences” with them or the cast in general. Anyone think the same?

35. Pinche says:

Never really liked her in comparsion to “13”. Can’t wait until her return. By Martha

36. Zannypants says:

I don’t think you could get rid of her quick enough.

37. Stephanie says:

I like her better than 13. Her character is pretty and smart…not just eye candy. I like how she’s a walking encyclopedia. It’s interesting to watch her brain work. Isn’t 13 supposed to die soon? Then what? A miracle drug so she doesn’t ever have to leave the show?

• AJ says:

… sure, if by “..die soon” you mean in the 8 to 10 years they dialogued into a few s5 episodes!! Sad that so many women dislike 13 because she’s fantastically sexy and way beyond their own sad aspirations could ever attain!!

38. Dread Pirate Roberts says:

Instead of replacing a new character who is interesting but isn’t a doctor (Masters) with the old character who isn’t interesting but is a doctor (13), they should just return Wilson’s screentime to its former levels. He’s interesting AND a doctor.

39. Ivan Libya says:

Sorry, but I’m glad to see her go. I never really liked her character or felt any sort of connection. 13, please come home soon!!

40. Theresa says:

I would like to see Amber leave, 13 never return, and bring back Cameron!

41. Kat says:

Oh, thank god. I’ve characterized this season like a sit-com that’s jumped the shark: They had no more good stories so the main characters (in this case, House and Cuddy) got married and had a baby (Masters). And she’s one of those horribly annoying, impossibly precocious kids. Ugh.

42. Kim says:

I like her morals and the way she tests House and the fact that he hated her. But 13 is better. They should play more Huddy time!! Wilson needs to be in more too! Feels like there’s no more House and Wilson time.

43. nancyalis says:

Don’t care either way because she did not make an impression on me. She wasn’t a good actress on the GH soap. The only reason that she gets work is because her father is some bigshot film producer or director or something, in LA.

44. Reader says:

Who will replace Amber? How about Kristin Chenoweth, Kate Beckinsale, Laura Vandervoort, Drew Barrymore, Cameron Diaz, Katie Holmes, Helen Hunt, Jane Seymour, Kate Winslet, Natasha Richardson? Bring Sela Ward back!

45. Ali says:

Well, why not make it a surprise? Every exit on House is a surprise and frankly difficult to digest(we do,eventually). But they have had too many and have introduced too few,House is one of my Fav shows. They should put more colourful characters instead of taking them out no?

46. HummingBird HeartBeat says:

Thank goodness Masters is going! I really miss Thirteen!

47. Charlotte says:

Loved Masters character, though I thought she was a bit like Cameron, and didn’t fit too awfully well with everybody. I really liked the asian girl before her, (she played Lane on Gilmore Girls, but can’t remember her name). I thought she melded well with the rest of the cast, and her character’s personality was very interesting.

48. Tess says:

Bye bye Amber. Please DO let the door hit you on the way out.

49. Carly says:

Not at all disappointed to hear this news. I will be very glad when Olivia Wilde rejoins the cast. Did not like the character that Amber Tamblyn portrayed. Too moral, too annoying.

50. Dennis Schechtman says:

I can’t wait for olivia Wilde to come back. I”m crazy about her.