House Exclusive: Amber Tamblyn Checks Out

Get More: Exclusive, News, Scoop, Spoilers

The doctor is out… or at least she will be by the end of the season. House creator David Shore confirms to TVLine exclusively that Amber Tamblyn’s stint on the show will conclude this spring.

Although her deal with the show was only for one year — she was brought in to fill the temporary void left by Olivia Wilde’s Thirteen — the boss was hoping the Joan of Arcadia actress would extend her stay. “I wish she was sticking around, because she’s wonderful,” he says. “But she’s not going to be with us for [much longer].”

Tamblyn’s whip-smart MD-in-training Martha Masters will depart right around the time Wilde’s ailing Thirteen is slated to check back in. (I hear the two will briefly cross paths.) Shore says he’s “literally working” on the script for her final episode right now. “We’re going to give her a good sendoff. I’m not at liberty to discuss any details,” he insists, “but she’s getting a good sendoff.”

Tamblyn’s character got the typically chilly welcome from House and others when she arrived earlier this season, laboring to supplant her lack of a “Dr.” title with encyclopediac knowledge. “Shes an interesting character, that Masters,” notes Omar Epps (Foreman). “Our team is a little bit jaded, so we had to have a lot of patience with her.”

Thoughts? Were you, like Shore, hoping Tamblyn would lengthen her House call? Hit the comments!

Comments (317)

• bummer…

Comment by Elizabeth – January 13, 2011 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I remember Amber mostly as Emily on General Hospital and the title character on Joan of Arcadia and the movie Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants – ALL great.

I was so happy when I read she was coming to HOUSE; thinking they’d finally have 2 women on House’s team. haha Even so, I LOVE watching her the show. She is real breath of fresh air on this wonderful show and I just love the way her character interacts with the other characters.

I was really hoping they’d keep her around for a long, long time. Even after her short tenure, I will miss her.

Comment by Carmen – January 13, 2011 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t think she was a breath of fresh air on HOUSE at all. I hated her. I hated everything about her character, and I hated the awkward dynamic she brought to the show.

Comment by JP – September 16, 2011 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • With all of the termoil going on with the cast, production issues
      House will wind up going off the air. On and off the show there is
      too much koas.

Comment by Bruce 53 – January 27, 2011 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have really enjoyed her on the show. Matching Wits with House and her Morals. It will be sad to see her go.

Comment by jahgirl – February 8, 2011 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Martha Masters sucks!
      Good riddance!
      This is the most boring, show-stopping character I have ever seen on House. Thank GOD!!!

Comment by Chris – February 21, 2011 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • she is awful, bring back thirteen!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Bill – February 23, 2011 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • After Masters has the patient that eats the women he kills, she wont be there anymore. 13 has been in jail or an institution of some kind, I am glad she is coming back, it puts a piece of the puzzle together that has been missing..but that is all I gather from the preview.

Comment by Holly – March 22, 2011 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amber is a good actress, better then Olivia. It is pity that must be a good looking woman in the show for rating. Even so, Olivia has no breast and is cold.

Comment by GeyzeR – April 18, 2011 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree although i find amber to be prettier than olivia.

Comment by bob – April 19, 2011 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Of all the female actresses they have had on House, Amber Tamblyn was by far my favorite. I thought she brought a positive balance to House’s negativity. Actually, I was very disappointed how the writers made her capitulate to House’s way of thinking on her last show. I adored her honesty and the sparring between her and House was priceless. I will miss Amber and wish her every success in whatever endeavor she pursues. Maybe if enough of us write in, maybe just maybe she might return!

Comment by Rita Kaufmann – April 19, 2011 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s a much better actress than OW. Her character, however, is even more annoying than Cameron once was.

Comment by Foster – January 13, 2011 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not mad or happy of this new. she was a good actress but i never connect with the character. But I’m sill glad they give her a good send off .

Comment by marie – January 13, 2011 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Here, here. Annoying as all get out.

Comment by Azazel – April 24, 2011 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Booooooo.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – January 13, 2011 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A good sendoff? I bet her sendoff will be as better as Jennifer Morrison’s sendoff, tacky.

Comment by JMA – January 13, 2011 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. Not really breaking news, Mike. We knew from the beginning it was a short-term contract, and Tamblyn never made serious noises about wanting to stay. I’ll enjoy while she’s here. Since Tron, I like Wilde again, but I still find 13 a deadly bore. House has generally been horrible at writing female characters.

Comment by Amber – January 13, 2011 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amber, you’re so dead on about the female characters on House. They seem to take a backseat to the male leads. Even the episode that featured just Cuddy was an indirect way of telling us that her character was underdeveloped. Tamblyn will be missed by me only because she’s a great actress, her role was almost tomboyish, thus adding fuel to your theories. Allow me to add more… the House iPhone app features several video shorts of a male character, “Nurse Jeffrey”, who I thought had great potential to be a regular on the main show! Where’s he?

Comment by Dimplemonkey – January 13, 2011 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And here I thought Wilde is finally leaving for good. Nothing against her or her character. I actually am quite a fan of Wilde, but it’s just she’s been gone so long and she’s doing so many movies. I was so sure she’ll leave the show before the season wraps.

Comment by Binky – January 13, 2011 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m glad you will send Amber off in a good way, Young at her age if she would come back at time on House it would be a more qualified doctor in the role she had played. Glad Olivia is coming back. You can put me on the show. As a phlebotomist that can really draw blood to attention to HOUSE. I can show House something he has never seen. Give Cuddy the run around on in the hospital. Good story ? But we need a fresh Season 8 that is not only House and Cuddy but maybe House and Patients get caught up in a love triangle. Let me be the one to be the patient on this story line. I have a story that you all can write that would have viewers wonder what would happen down the line. If some one can get back with me. You don’t have to pay me just get to where Fox studios are and we can talk. Thanks for what you all do for the fans of HOUSE, we need a new change for season 8.

Comment by HAPPY – January 13, 2011 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I prefer Martha! But I’m glad they give her a good send off !

Comment by Bruna Cora – January 13, 2011 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awww I like her. Damnit they better bring Thirteen back! I know Olivia is extremely busy being awesome with films right now, but she needs to go back to House stat! I miss House can’t wait for monday’s new episode!

Comment by danity – January 13, 2011 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love 13, can’t wait for we to come back. and I haven’t been watching the she as dedicatedly as I was when 13 was on the show. but I love Ambers character too, I won’t be fazed when she leaves though.

Comment by jess – January 13, 2011 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rats. I like her. But I was starting to thaw toward 13 once they broke her up with the always boring Foreman. So I’m sort of looking forward to seeing what they do with her when she comes back.

Comment by Cantare – January 13, 2011 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Boreman, not Foreman :) yeah he’s pretty lame

Comment by Maria – January 13, 2011 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • … hmmmm would this be a black thing?!!

Comment by AJ – January 15, 2011 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sucks. I was thisclose to giving up on House this year, but her character completely reinvigorated the show.

Comment by M – January 13, 2011 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooooo! She was awesome! Why!!!! Everyone likes her :( Her character is amazing…and she’s terrific!!!

Comment by B. – January 13, 2011 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boooooooo!!!!!!!! I have loved Amber since I was about 13 and she was starting out as Emily on GH. So sad she is leaving, especially because I’m not exactly a big fan of OW or 13.

Comment by Melissa – January 13, 2011 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s sad. While I like Olivia Wilde (and her prominent family), she is in the wrong business. Back to cringing again.

Comment by Ant – January 13, 2011 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i was totally hoping she would stick around! I think the show benefits from new blood like the way it did when it brought 13 and the others on the show. and her character is pretty great. AT is an interesting actress to watch. i loved her in “the unusual’s” it was to bad that didn’t last a little longer

Comment by jason – January 13, 2011 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have no opinion, because she’s only been in what, 2 episodes? And I feel like House has been off the air for months. Will be able to form an opinion once it comes back next week.

Comment by Jerry – January 13, 2011 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LAME!
    Amber is a killer actress and i was hoping she’d become a regular.
    “Boo you whore” comes to mind.

Comment by Aidan – January 13, 2011 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She hasn’t been in the show long in terms of episodes actually aired but her character has seemed interesting and has been a breath of fresh air to the team. Sorry for DS and the crew if they are going to regret loosing her. I’m sure her remaining episodes will be great and I wish her all the best.

Comment by freya – January 13, 2011 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder if DS and KJ have already realized how stupid they are by letting JMo go. Lol Cameron was one of the most (and still is) favorite Character and got the crappiest exit in TV-history. But I`m glad that DS is trying to do better this time. Sad that she wants to go,I like 3M much more than 13 and Amber is a much better actress.

Comment by Karo – January 13, 2011 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • when is 13 coming back? that’s all i want to know!

Comment by syd – January 13, 2011 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That Tamblyn chose not to stay on the show makes me wonder what the show’s working environment is like. Like that of Princeton-Plainsboro but with Jacobs or Shore in the House role?

Comment by Rob J. – January 13, 2011 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She hasn’t quit , her storyline is coming to an end .

Comment by Tracy Murray – January 13, 2011 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Total bummer, she’s so great… I relate to her so much, we have a lot in common… Hopefully OW stays permanently, I’m happy for her success and everything but if they’re going to be sending Amber off Olivia might as well stick around for good.

Comment by Maria – January 13, 2011 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tamblyn is awesome, Masters is awesome, but her being a third-year student never sat well with me. At least Thirteen is actually a doctor.

Comment by Elka – January 13, 2011 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad news. I honestly stopped watching for a while, but tuned back in when I heard how great she was. House will probably get erased from the DVR schedule again now. I just don’t get it. They’re fairly bad at writing any female character (CTB being a notable exception), yet none of the male characters are prizes either… besides House, and the 2.5 seconds Wilson appears.

tl;dr: Tamblyn was a breath of fresh air, and even with “13″ coming back, it’s going to get awfully stagnant again.

Comment by RP – January 13, 2011 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss Cameron.

Comment by Anika – January 13, 2011 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news….

Comment by karin – January 13, 2011 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss CAMERON, she was my favorite character and her exit storyline was awful

Comment by daniela – January 13, 2011 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do whatever is necessary to keep her there.

I think she is a fine actress and really put a neat character twist to test House on every level.

Comment by Roland – January 13, 2011 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GOOD!! She is SOOOOO BORING!!!

Comment by stcysctt – January 13, 2011 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never liked her or the way they dressed her so I am glad to see her go. Can’t wait for 13′s return!

Comment by Angela – January 13, 2011 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why don’t they just keep her AND thirteen. That would make an interesting interaction, not only between them, but the rest of the team, and would probably drive HOUSE nuts!

The show is fantastic now, but just think of all the craziness with all of them.

Whether she stays or goes, I am still going to watch it.

Comment by sue – January 13, 2011 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She was a breath of fresh air for a show that was getting stale. Even the return of 13 may not alter that

Comment by Nijel – January 13, 2011 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, geeze! Are the “House” creative writing team losing their edge? It appears to me, that the revolving door cast of women actors have some sort of “differences” with them or the cast in general. Anyone think the same?

Comment by Gary F. Rogers – January 13, 2011 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Never really liked her in comparsion to “13″. Can’t wait until her return. By Martha

Comment by Pinche – January 13, 2011 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think you could get rid of her quick enough.

Comment by Zannypants – January 13, 2011 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like her better than 13. Her character is pretty and smart…not just eye candy. I like how she’s a walking encyclopedia. It’s interesting to watch her brain work. Isn’t 13 supposed to die soon? Then what? A miracle drug so she doesn’t ever have to leave the show?

Comment by Stephanie – January 13, 2011 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • … sure, if by “..die soon” you mean in the 8 to 10 years they dialogued into a few s5 episodes!! Sad that so many women dislike 13 because she’s fantastically sexy and way beyond their own sad aspirations could ever attain!!

Comment by AJ – January 15, 2011 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Instead of replacing a new character who is interesting but isn’t a doctor (Masters) with the old character who isn’t interesting but is a doctor (13), they should just return Wilson’s screentime to its former levels. He’s interesting AND a doctor.

Comment by Dread Pirate Roberts – January 13, 2011 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry, but I’m glad to see her go. I never really liked her character or felt any sort of connection. 13, please come home soon!!

Comment by Ivan Libya – January 13, 2011 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would like to see Amber leave, 13 never return, and bring back Cameron!

Comment by Theresa – January 13, 2011 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, thank god. I’ve characterized this season like a sit-com that’s jumped the shark: They had no more good stories so the main characters (in this case, House and Cuddy) got married and had a baby (Masters). And she’s one of those horribly annoying, impossibly precocious kids. Ugh.

Comment by Kat – January 13, 2011 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like her morals and the way she tests House and the fact that he hated her. But 13 is better. They should play more Huddy time!! Wilson needs to be in more too! Feels like there’s no more House and Wilson time.

Comment by Kim – January 13, 2011 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t care either way because she did not make an impression on me. She wasn’t a good actress on the GH soap. The only reason that she gets work is because her father is some bigshot film producer or director or something, in LA.

Comment by nancyalis – January 13, 2011 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who will replace Amber? How about Kristin Chenoweth, Kate Beckinsale, Laura Vandervoort, Drew Barrymore, Cameron Diaz, Katie Holmes, Helen Hunt, Jane Seymour, Kate Winslet, Natasha Richardson? Bring Sela Ward back!

Comment by Reader – January 13, 2011 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, why not make it a surprise? Every exit on House is a surprise and frankly difficult to digest(we do,eventually). But they have had too many and have introduced too few,House is one of my Fav shows. They should put more colourful characters instead of taking them out no?

Comment by Ali – January 13, 2011 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank goodness Masters is going! I really miss Thirteen!

Comment by HummingBird HeartBeat – January 13, 2011 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved Masters character, though I thought she was a bit like Cameron, and didn’t fit too awfully well with everybody. I really liked the asian girl before her, (she played Lane on Gilmore Girls, but can’t remember her name). I thought she melded well with the rest of the cast, and her character’s personality was very interesting.

Comment by Charlotte – January 13, 2011 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bye bye Amber. Please DO let the door hit you on the way out.

Comment by Tess – January 13, 2011 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not at all disappointed to hear this news. I will be very glad when Olivia Wilde rejoins the cast. Did not like the character that Amber Tamblyn portrayed. Too moral, too annoying.

Comment by Carly – January 13, 2011 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait for olivia Wilde to come back. I”m crazy about her.

Comment by Dennis Schechtman – January 13, 2011 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post