David E. Kelley 'Optimistic' That Wonder Woman Redo Will Happen

Get More: News, Pilots, TCA Press Tour

Although all of the major networks passed on David E. Kelley‘s proposed revisiting of Wonder Woman, he is confident that the DC Comics-inspired series still has life in it.

“The bottom line is I had a lot of fun writing it, and we’re still optimistic that we’re going to do it,” Kelley told reporters on Thursday at the TCA winter press tour. “We’ve got a script that [Warner Bros. TV] and DC are very excited about.”

RELATED: TV Wonder Woman Not Going At This Time

Kelley says he wholly understands why his Wonder Woman drew no suitors when he shopped it around earlier this month. “It’s a huge project… so it was a bit much to ask anyone to chew off for this next season,” he acknowledged, “but I think everybody’s confident we are going to see it.”

Kelley would only describe his take on Wonder Woman/Diana Prince (last and famously visited as a live-action 1970s TV series starring Lynda Carter) as “a little different.” He added that juggling the human aspect of the titular heroine with her special powers “was the most fun thing” about prepping the project.

ABC Orders Charlie’s Angels Reboot

DEK’s new legal drama, Harry’s Law, premieres Monday, January 17, on NBC.

Do you think Wonder Woman can be (re)done successfully for today’s TV audience?

Comments (9)

• Always loved DEK’s work but even I am not sure about this. Would love to be able to read the script. It’s also nice to see him doing a few more things then law shows (thoughI admit I have enjoyed all of them).

Comment by Jasin – January 13, 2011 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it needs to happen. There is a long list of TV shows and movies that prove 1.) comic book themes work, and 2.) female heroes work. Now you’ve got a show with both — it should be a no-brainer.

Comment by Alex – January 13, 2011 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “a little different” could be fantastic.

or all completely wrong.

Comment by Summer – January 13, 2011 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nadia Bjorlin for Wonder Woman!

Comment by Ronet – January 13, 2011 11:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with Summer that doing it differently could be a good thing or a bad thing. But since I happen to know he is working very closely with Lynda Carter on this project, I have faith that it will turn out to be a good thing. I mean, who better to know Wonder Woman and how to improve on the original series than Lynda?

Comment by Raelara – January 13, 2011 11:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nadia Bjorlin for Wonder Woman!!!!!!

Comment by Pradip – January 14, 2011 03:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d be really interested to see his take on it — I mean, he might do something really original and brilliant. Or it might be a classic flop you’d HAVE to see to believe. Either way, it’s sure to be interesting.

Comment by amy – January 14, 2011 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nadia Bjorlin is terribly whiny on Days! I would never watch a show revolving around her.

Comment by PGP – January 14, 2011 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I sure wish they’d see how great Charisma Carpenter would be. :)

Comment by toast – January 15, 2011 06:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post