Exclusive

Bones Exclusive: Booth/Brennan Season-Ending Romance Subject of 'Spirited Debate,' Says Boss

Bones fans, grab a seat, and I mean grab it good, lest you be knocked out of it by what you’re about to read: This is the season Bones may finally go there with Booth and Brennan.

I kid you not.

Series creator Hart Hanson tells TVLine that the No. 1 topic of conversation in the show’s writers’ room is whether or not the star-crossed sleuths should end the season as a full-fledged couple.”What happens [as we wrap] between Booth and Brennan is the subject of a spirited and wide-ranging debate —and that’s the honest-to-God truth,” he say. “Some people think [we should go for it], and others are wildly against it. It’s a really interesting debate.”

One thing that’s certain is that Hanson and fellow exec producer Stephen Nathan will have to make a decision soon. The groundwork for a possible B&B hookup will be laid in this season’s 19th episode, which, as revealed in this week’s Ask Ausiello, finds them trapped in an elevator. “They’ll be forced together,” teases Hanson, “and they have to figure some things out.” (FYI: My Bones-obsessed former colleague at EW.com, Mandi Bierly, just posted some new details on the elevator episode.)

Your thoughts? Is it time for Bones to pull the trigger on Double B? Weigh in below!

1. Deborah Russell says:

Please, please, bring Booth and Brennan together!! In the episode were she saw and heard herself in the doctor was tear jerking when Brennan realized she had lost her chance. Her emotions were so awesome it was as if it were real. I know some may think it would be the end of Bones, but Bones is a show filled with everything people want in a show. And it is one that we can watch with our grandchildren and they are learning the bones because of it. B&B belong together! The only suggestion I have is that they take it slow. Show them really getting to know each other in a whole new light. So myself and my husband pray you will bring them together. I have so many episodes DVR’d and re-watch them. Thank you for the best series on TV.

• Ashley G. says:

I agree- do it slow like a real love/romance. Taking the time for them to get to know this new part of each other and themselves as a couple it would be GREAT!

2. TJ says:

I definetly would like to see B&B hook up as a couple. It’s along awaited relationship.

3. Debra says:

Oh my goodness yes! It is high time! UNLESS they can’t work together when together and then where would we be? It would make for some great episodes though! They’ve worked for this long on working together and not being together; now they could work on working together together… does that make sense?

4. Randall Riek says:

I think it would really help the rateings if you would hook them up, you have been teaseing us for way to long. I want to see them get together

5. Jenny says:

Yes, I think it is about time that they got together. In reference to some of the above comments, I don’t think it will ruin the show or make it less interesting…. of course they will still ahve the same type of banter back and forth. They love each other now and do that. There are still many ways to keep the show interesting.

6. Tabatha says:

OH OH I So hope they get together! Because I think they make a better couple than the girl Booth’s been with.

7. Tesla says:

We’ve waited this long, go ahead and give us the romance. just because B&B finally get together should not mean the story should end there. They are completely opposite that their relationship would be interesting with their work

8. Deb says:

yes there is a lot of ‘energy’ between them, however every other show that has ever had the couples finally get together the shows go belly up after that the whole excitement of the show is the energy. & with them together then the energy is not the same.

9. Pamela says:

Yes! They must get together. Must.

10. amanda says:

Do it already but make it good with atleast 1 episode showing booth still may have some interest in brennan, cause right now it seems like there’s nothing there at all.

11. Kerin says:

In all honestly? Its about time.I love Bones.Its a great show with fantastic characters and chemistry, but after over 5 seasons of them toying with Booth and Brennan it was starting to get a tad annoying.
    After a while you need to stop the back-and-forth and either go for it or not or you’re going to loose interest and viewers.

12. donna says:

Yes get them together we have waited long enough it needs to happen it would be like the icing on the cake bones brilliant but could be even better with b+b together

13. Tabby says:

OMG! They so need to be together. They would make an awesome couple & I agree, I don’t think it would mean the end of the show. I think it would add a lot to it since they would not be your usual superficial couple.

14. Lena says:

Whatever they decide to do I’ll be okay with. I know that in the end, whether it’s soon or on the last episode of the series, they will be together.

15. J(ay) says:

The whole Hannah thing almost made me stop watching the show because it was so disappointing. I do hope to see Booth and Bones as a couple.

16. KM says:

Is it wrong that my first thought was not, “YAY, they might go there!” but “Wait, you mean they’re considering NOT going there?”? This actually worries me. I’ve just been assuming that it would be impossible for this season to end with B&B still apart. Everything is falling into place. If the writers still can’t see it, I’m kind of concerned. It’s time for some adorable B&B romance!

17. ashley says:

yess! do it everyone wants them to and i dont see i reason why not

18. Steve Smith says:

The issue I think the writers and producers have with putting Booth and Brennan in a relationship is where will they go from there? Everyone wants them to end up together and once they are put together, what happens next? If they’re brought together too soon, what is the audience going to want next? The one thing that everyone seems to want will have already happened. And if they are put into a relationship, a lot will obviously change. There will probably be a lot less discussions about life and Brennan’s need to be rational at all times. Think about what happens in real life when two people go from friends to a relationship. A lot changes and they’ll have to account for that in the show. Will the audience like the changes? What’s going to happen after a case is solved? Are B and B just going to go out on a date afterward? History has shown that ultimately bringing 2 main characters together in a show usually leads to its demise because it’s difficult to keep an interest in the show because the audience has already gotten what it wanted.

The reason they brought in Hannah I believe was that the back and forth of will they or won’t they was getting old so they wanted to throw a wrench in that by putting Booth with Hannah, effectively putting a halt on the back and forth. As many people have stated, they were getting sick of the back and forth. Most people wanted them to just end it and put B and B together, but like I said up top, where would they go from there? The hope that B and B will eventually end up together is what keeps a lot of the audience around. Unfortunately, by bringing in Hannah, it also took away from the Booth and Brennan dynamic as we see a lot less of them interacting, not just emotionally, but as friends. It ended up bring a bigger wrench than I think they had originally thought it would be.

19. Booth and Brennen together …….don’t spoil a good thing …..they get just sssooooo close and something or someone interupts .If it ain’t broke don’t fix it .It’s like the old MOONLIGHTING show ,don’t mess it up,PLEASE!!!

20. Mariah says:

I have watched Bones from the beginning and I would love for Booth and Bones to finally get together! It’s been so long and they’ve gotten so close to making it that I think it’s finally time. But don’t make it easy or predictable! If they’re going to get together it’s got to be heart-wrenching, non-stereotypical, and shocking because they deserve something special.

21. Eleanor says:

I would like to see Booth and Tempe get together. They work well together and I think a relationship would also work out.

22. sarah says:

DO IT I HAVE WATCHED BONES FOREVER and the ladies that have been with booth on the past have made me solo ticked!

23. Miriam says:

It’s about time!!!!!! You have no idea how long I have been waiting for this. It is the ultimate twist for the series

24. Rayne says:

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE! I dont think I can wait any longer to see them finally get together! It really would make my year!

25. Dana says:

PLEASE DONT DO IT It would jump the shark for the show for sure!!!!!! I’m begging please do not ruin one of my two favorite shows on tv!!!plllleeeeaaaassssseeeeeeeeeeeeeee

26. anne elizabeth roy says:

yes, yes, yes, they are so meant to be together …but like the others said…go slow……………

27. Latashia says:

OH MY GOD! I had a heartattack when I read this, then I ran around like a maniac. Than told my Nana. And then ran around some more. Than Bones came on, so I sat down and shut up. XD

28. Rita says:

Yes! Yes! Yes! I have been waiting for this to happen. It was so sad when Bones realized she may have missed her opportunity. The writers can make it just as interesting if not more with them as a couple. Go for it writers, you can do it!

29. Helen says:

Yes, please put them together. This season has been boring. It is well past time.

30. She says:

Absolutely!!!! They belong together! Be the first show to get the stars together and continue the story. Hate it when a GREAT couple gets together and the story ends. Let us know what happens in their lives.

31. no_w240 says:

I think you should go for it! I honestly have become slack on watching episodes because of hannah I really liked the tension they had going for them before booth came back with a girlfriend. Was quite disapointed when I realized her character would be around for a while. Although the actress is decent because of previously layed ground work for the expected union of Booth and Brennan it really made me not want to watch… And I love Boned.

32. Kodie says:

They should get together. They have list their spark this season and it needs to come back. We need a more spirited episode They are a little on the gloomy side these days…AND they are perfect for eachother!

33. Sarah says:

Oh yes! They need to be together! Hannah was just a substitute for Booth until Brennan figured herself out. Well she finally realized that in the last episode and you know Booth is just too nice to dump Hannah on the spot and go for who he really wants. But I have faith in B&B!

34. Colleen says:

Trapped in an elevator? Gee, this sounds oddly familiar to how Hodgkins and Angela got together doesn’t it? Only with a jail cell….Hmmmm….All I know is I am all for the two hooking up but then what? Where is the tension that we all tune in for each week? I hope they are able to fill that void and still make the show interesting. I wouldn’t count out Booths’ girlfriend just yet. She’s a fighter.

35. Broncolinda says:

Yes, please bring them together! They have had so many adventures thus far, but that would be the ultimate one. Bones might even change her mind about love and marriage. Who knows–never say never!

36. Holly says:

Just do it already PLEASE!!!!

37. Carolyn says:

yes they need to get together please do it

38. R Chick says:

Please, please, please put B & B together. This season has been awful with Booth not being interested in Brennan. Not to mention the fact that Hannah is super annoying. What is wrong with her voice?!?! Also, the entire conversation where she took Bones sunglasses was bizarre & forced.

39. Jessica says:

I agree with Tesla that a B&B hook-up would not mean the end of the show (the only plausible reason writers have avoided it so far) but rather an interesting twist that could be explored from many angles. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it happens soon!

40. tvaddicted says:

I am on the fence about it. I wouldn’t want it to become a Doug and Carol situation like on ER. Okay so we are together, now what? We break up, hate each other and them make up? If it could be done well and make sense for these two wildly different personalities then yes go ahead. But don’t hurt the back story that has taken seasons to build by making one of them a weaker version of the characters that we so love. But that is just my opinion.

41. Carol says:

It’s bound to happen with so much chemistry between them!

42. Liz says:

They should be together. Hannah is nice, and I can see the purpose for her character, but Booth falling in love so quickly almost made it seem like he wasn’t really in love with Bones as much as he said. Any show seems to think the longer you hold off on giving viewers what they want, the longer they’ll watch, but eventually people WILL get annoyed and move on. The could get them together and either give it another season or two, or take the show in a whole new direction and have it be just as good or better.

43. Chet says:

This is a great idea but will Hannah be hurt I hope not

44. Ileana says:

O.K. I say it would be GREAT to have them together…….But on the other hand having that tension between the both of them is what really makes the show! Don’t get me wrong I would really LOVE to seem together but I also want to have the show go on!! ;-)

45. Jim says:

I know everyone wants to see them get together but once they do, THEN WHAT? Past history shows us that, once this happens, the show begins to die. I don’t know if it’s because the writers have a harder time with the story line or what but if it happens, I don’t see the show lasting for more than another season or two.

46. CranberryOrange says:

Yes. To the fifth power. Really, this s way too long overdue and if Angela and Hodgins can be a couple and work together, Bones and Booth can too. We believe in them.
    This /needs/ to happen.
    Listen to your fans.

47. holly brown says:

I love BONES!!! Watched it from day one and yes, they should get together and stay together!!!

48. Kacie says:

I missed the first season and am just now getting caught up with DVDs. This is the BEST show on TV and Booth and Brennan are the best – just like Stabler and Benson in L&O SVU. Their chemistry goes beyond the script. Rarely do you find that anymore. Everyone loves a happy ending and to get them hooked up – maybe not married – but at least as a couple – would make lots of people happy – and we ALL need ‘happy’. Brennan needs to use some of her brain instead of saying “I don’t understand what you mean” and learn from others and retain that experience. Getting in a relationship would make her so more could relate to her.

49. cheryl says:

yes!!!!!B&B need to finally bite the bullet and get married. this :he loves/he loves me not is getting old. and they still can have awesome sleuth work together

50. chrissy says:

PLEASE! We have been waiting SO LONG for this! I CAN’T STAND Hannah! Booth & Bones are meant to be together so get on with it already!

• stacey says:

We all know it is going to happen but when has always been the question!Why must they wait so long just let the DO IT already!!!!!

• Crissy says:

AMAN!!

Oh and bring back Zack already

• Ann says:

I am with you fully………..they need to be together!!!!!!

• Margaret says:

I agree with everything you said I too have been waiting so long for them to get together. I loved the story she wrote when he was in the coma, I can’t stand Hannah either and when she met Parker I was upset watching Bones cry was way to much they are truly meant to be together so put them together!