Bones Exclusive: Booth/Brennan Season-Ending Romance Subject of 'Spirited Debate,' Says Boss

Get More: Exclusive, News, Scoop, Spoilers

Bones fans, grab a seat, and I mean grab it good, lest you be knocked out of it by what you’re about to read: This is the season Bones may finally go there with Booth and Brennan.

I kid you not.

Series creator Hart Hanson tells TVLine that the No. 1 topic of conversation in the show’s writers’ room is whether or not the star-crossed sleuths should end the season as a full-fledged couple.”What happens [as we wrap] between Booth and Brennan is the subject of a spirited and wide-ranging debate —and that’s the honest-to-God truth,” he say. “Some people think [we should go for it], and others are wildly against it. It’s a really interesting debate.”

One thing that’s certain is that Hanson and fellow exec producer Stephen Nathan will have to make a decision soon. The groundwork for a possible B&B hookup will be laid in this season’s 19th episode, which, as revealed in this week’s Ask Ausiello, finds them trapped in an elevator. “They’ll be forced together,” teases Hanson, “and they have to figure some things out.” (FYI: My Bones-obsessed former colleague at EW.com, Mandi Bierly, just posted some new details on the elevator episode.)

Your thoughts? Is it time for Bones to pull the trigger on Double B? Weigh in below!

Tags: ,

Comments (960)

• I am all for Booth and Hannah staying together. Love thore two

Comment by Jane – January 13, 2011 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OHHHHHHH HELLLLLLLLLL No Hanna has got to go
      booth is meant to be with bones she needs him and he needs her
      it is sooooo romantic he is her knight in shining armor

Comment by Anne – January 13, 2011 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I am so with Anne. Hanna has to go. the ep. where they say she got shot. I’ll be honest i was hoping it to be her end. Booth and temp need to get it together. there are eps. where i get so mad cause they get so close and it’s oops no!

Comment by Amanda – January 13, 2011 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For crying out loud, yes! 6 going into 7 years is WAY past time for the two leads to get together. This cliche gf/third party plot has ruined the season thus far, the only way to fix it would be to start gaining on B&B’s relationship again. When season 6 started you could literally feel the chemistry fizzle out of the characters because there was so much push of a character that no one cared about. Ridiculous! If the writers put another road block to keep B&B apart, fans will be jumping off the boat in droves. Get it together BONES!

Comment by KB – January 13, 2011 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree with KB. I am not even interested in it since the third party came aboard. The sexual tension between the two is what helped make the series what it is. Ditch the other girl.

Comment by Toni – January 13, 2011 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! I tend to lose interest w/on and off relationships.

Comment by MAR – January 13, 2011 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good grief – YES! The ways they are keeping them apart are starting to feel SO forced and manufactured. My husband used to regularly watch with me, and he feels that it’s gotten so ridiculous, that he’s pretty much lost interest. They did such a good job with the tension that it just feels totally false that they haven’t gotten together yet. I agree, the fans are going to outright revolt and start giving up if they don’t get them together soon.

Comment by switbo – January 13, 2011 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bones, I think, is at that point where there’s more behind them than ahead. I think to breath new life that could keep them going for another 2 years, exploring a real love between Bones and Booth is the exact way to go. Do it! Make it real and make it last.

Comment by Jim L – January 13, 2011 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!!! already!!! I’m so ready to see them struggling to be a couple…struggling to make it all work in the middle of what they deal with….struggling to see if their love for each other is ‘enough’ to get them thru the issues, the trials, the family problems and job issues….I want to see them working at being a couple…being committed for life eventually. These two are so wonderful anytime…the First half of season 6…seeing them apart in every way has been so painful to wade thru…never in all my years of watching t.v.-and i’ve seen some marvelous couples–have I seen two any more right for each other. Pull the trigger!! Let’s go FORWARD!!!!!

Comment by Lynne – January 13, 2011 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DO IT!!! PLEASE!!1 its time. They can’t wait any longer!!!

Comment by Gina – January 13, 2011 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OH MY GOD, YES!!! Let’s get this show on the road already! Don’t get me wrong, I’ve really enjoyed the build up, the tension, etc…but if this does happen it’ll be at the end of the 6th season. It’s time. Booth and Brennan are primed. There is no one else for them and throwing any other obstacles in the way would just be ridiculous at this point.

I know allowing couples to get together too soon in a series can ruin the sexual tension but that won’t happen here. There are so many possibilities for great storylines if those two are together…so much character development and growth to be seen.

Hart Hanson and Stephan Nathan should give Booth and Brennan the green light. LET’S DO THIS THING!!!

Comment by Elena – January 13, 2011 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PLEASE do it! 6 years is long enough! GO FOR IT!!!! And please, get Hannah OUT of the picture, NOW!

Comment by Katie – January 13, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best news we have heard in a year. Get this couple together and show a smart, successful relationship with bumps and turns and everyday life showing romance is not over when you get together.

Comment by dovepage – January 13, 2011 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t believe anything that comes from the Bones camp after the big lie of Season 4.

Comment by Jenn – January 13, 2011 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!!! Please go for it.. Six years is long enough. I for one would LOVE to see Booth and Brennan together.

Comment by Amy – January 13, 2011 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Every year Hart Hanson “teases” that the Booth – Bones relationship might go somewhere. Never happened. I’m so sick of listening to this guy’s crap. He strings us on like this every year, which is why I stopped watching “Bones”. It was one of my favorite shows, but I got so tired of feeling like a puppet on a string!!!

Comment by daniellealberta – January 13, 2011 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Since Hart Hanson has a propensity to hate musicals, this comment kills two birds with one stone.
    As Miss Eliza Doolittle once sang:
    “Words! Words! Words! I’m so sick of words.
    I get words all day through; First from him, now from you.
    Is that all you blighters can do?
    Don’t talk of stars shining above. If [they're] in love, show me!
    Don’t wait until wrinkles and lines pop out all over my brow.
    Show me now!”

I think that just about covers it.

Comment by TinkonBrink – January 13, 2011 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree! We must be approaching sweeps/spring tv season bc yet again we hear the same cryptic thing from the people that make Bones about the Bones/Brennan situation. It truly is ridiculous.

I LOVE the show, but the continual messing around and lying to fans truly makes me angry and not want to watch the show.

If the creators said “they are never getting together, deal with it.” I wouldn’t have an issue, but to constantly tease over multiple years the development in the relationship is absurd.

Comment by JB – January 13, 2011 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Don’t kill me, but i like Hannah, i want her to stick around.

Comment by João Amaral – January 13, 2011 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love that people are finally cottoning on to how the fans are played every single season.
    It’s. Not. Going. To. Happen. // I’ll believe it when I see it… this is assuming they can even fix the mess they got themselves into with the dreadful Hannah storyline.

Comment by Gee – January 13, 2011 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hannah can stick around as the reporter who writes the wedding announcement for B & B !!

Comment by linda porter – January 13, 2011 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “They’ll be forced together,” teases Hanson, “and they have to figure some things out.”

Yes, I want Booth and Brennan together, but they do have a lot to figure out. I want them to TALK and be on the same page again before they seriously commit to each other. If time is needed to address some of the storyline decisions that have been made this season, I’d rather wait a bit longer to see them together than just pair them for the sake of speed and getting it done.

Comment by Andrea – January 13, 2011 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All this has happened before and all this will happen again.

Comment by gabe – January 13, 2011 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This non-sense is why iv been slipping away from Bones ):

Theyve been saying this for 3 seasons, and when Hannah came in, its killed my love for the show.

It hasnt been a deliberate “im not watching this anymore” but more of a slow move towards not caring. I used to always make sure I had time the day of or after an episode to watch… but this year iv just kinda been like “ehh…nothing I want to see is gonna happen this episode.”

When I hear that something ACTUALLY HAPPENS between them, il be more inclined to watch. Until then you have lost yet another fan, Bones.

Comment by Anna – January 13, 2011 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I assume that if Bones is renewed they will not get together. If Bones is not renewed then they will get together.

HH has said several time they won’t get together until the last season. I am pretty sure Bones will be renewed for a 7th season but they would be silly not to plan for it to end this season, just in case.

Comment by Vorpaks – January 13, 2011 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • they need to bring back the chemistry with the entire cast. This season has been to awful to watch: Brennan just constantly sad and alone. Bring back the partnership and go from there.

I won’t watch until this whole triangle is over, and I am not even a shipper. I just can’t stand the overall sad tone of the show. It is not the same “Bones” and I am not sure that they can get it back. This whole arc has been dragged out way too long.

Grey’s, CSI and the Office are all alternatives (even Royal Pains).
    This could be too late for Bones. I know they will most likely be renewed, but Hart Hanson went on too long with this story line. The introduction of Hannah may have been a good idea, but it changed everything about the show and took away what fans really cared about:
    Brennan, Booth and the squints working together. It has become the
    Booth and Hannah and the squints seperate. Why has this recurring
    character been given so much importance?

Comment by Ellen – January 13, 2011 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone realize how much these writers jack the story lines from House?
    House season 5: it looked like h/c were about to get together, but house’s craziness got in the way.
    Bones season 5: it looked like b/b were about to get together, but brennan’s craziness got in the way.
    House season 6: Cuddy gets a Bf that goes until the last episode when she starts a relationship w/ House
    Bones season 6: Booth gets a gf who is here for at least a long while, then might possibly end up with Bones in the end of the season?

HH, get your own story, stop stealing House’s

Comment by Bailey – January 13, 2011 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Get it together-and finally get them together. The hilarity that would ensue from B&B transitioning into a new level/type of relationship would still keep the show fresh and audience engaged. Stop pulling so violently at my heartstrings!

Comment by Tabitha – January 13, 2011 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everyone has kinda said what I have been thinking! I think that its way overdue that B&B get together. I also think that if they hold that the show could find itself ending prematurely! I have been watching since the beginning and really hope they get together but in a very Bones way

Comment by Theresa – January 13, 2011 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes get them together, that steak is way overdone now, it´s almost totally burned out. It should´ve happened with the beginning of this messed up season.
    I won´t trust it until i hear it´s happend though, won´t set me up for more dissapointments with this show.
    Also it has to happen realisticly , they can´t just brush off Booths jerky a** way this season.
    When i hear that´s happened i will start watch again.
    Whats most sad is that this sh*t is always going to be between them, even if they get together it will never go away. When you get hurt the way they have been in this mess it will always be there.

Comment by marple – January 13, 2011 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is clear B&B have very deep feelings – when this happens and with the life and death and how closely they work, the toes are in the water and it is simply a matter of time before biologically, they will become joined!

Comment by Jaclyn – January 13, 2011 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, they should get together, it is long overdue, it should have happened in seaosn 4 or 5.
    I actually think they have started that talk about B&B due to the negotiations regarding their renewal. Since HH have earlier been sure that if they got season 7 they would get 8 aswell, what if they in thier negotiations have been told that the deal will only be season 7 but they will have to negotiate season 8 next year. That could perhaps worry HH a bit, since it is a lot harder to get season 8 than season 7 from what I know, since when it comes to about season 8 the show starts to fall into the category of older more expencive shows.

Comment by Josephine – January 13, 2011 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YESSSSS!!! I agree with most of the above posts (except for the two crazies who say yea to Hannah—think those were put there out of anger and frustration myself). As nice as everyone keeps saying the actress who plays Hannah is, her character has done some serious damage to the characters (all of them really) and the show in general. I continue to be a loyal fan and trust that the writers who brought us the terrific story-lines and character development in the past will pull this off. I think they just need to stop throwing obstacles and let it happen. As they have mentioned several times in the show, I just hope they have not missed the “moment.” Any more procrastination and I fear they might just miss it. Bring on the romance—us loyal fans deserve some love!!!!!

Comment by Kim – January 13, 2011 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should have gone for it a long time ago, without hallucinations, ghost, baby plot, coma dream, psychic, SO, signal from the universe etc. I so miss early Bones (S1/2)…
    It’s too late now :(

Comment by boo – January 13, 2011 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ” and others are wildly against it ” – After 6 seasons who the frakk is others ?

Comment by Razor – January 13, 2011 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So true!!!

Comment by Lawton – January 13, 2011 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL! I mean really! Enough already.

Comment by Patrick – January 13, 2011 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES, PLEASE!

Comment by xhio – January 13, 2011 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OH MY FRIGGIN GOSHHHHH!!!
    JUST DO IT!!! PLEASE!!!!!

Comment by marissa – January 13, 2011 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE X1000000000000000 GET THEM TOGETHER ALREADY!!!

Comment by Lawton – January 13, 2011 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! PLEASEEEEEEE!!!! it is about damn time they do cause this whole thing with hanna is baloney …… booth & bones belong together if not what the heck for have i been watching this show for 6 yrs …… the story and the characters themselves demand that they get together …. i hope they follow through cause if not this whole thing is going to be A BIG FAT F— Y– TO THE FANS THAT HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR IT ALL THIS TIME!! WE NEED OUR PAY OFF MAN!!! BOOTH & BONES FOREVER!!! =)

Comment by darklady65 – January 13, 2011 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG!!! YES! YES! YES! Plzzzzzz

Comment by Amera – January 13, 2011 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG OMG OMG YESHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Comment by Kay – January 13, 2011 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES, PLEASE!

Comment by Bill Nelson – January 13, 2011 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YESSS !! they have toyed with our emotions long enough!!!!

Comment by Stefania Giordano – January 13, 2011 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s time!! Please! We want them to be together!

Comment by Gen BG – January 13, 2011 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree about keeping it like the books. Allow them to get together but keep it interesting!! :)

Comment by Nicole – January 13, 2011 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Make them a couple! The episode were Booth dreamed about them married was my favorite episode ever! That would make the show so fun & cute.

Comment by Briana – January 13, 2011 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • been waiting a long time. I hope they finally become a couple and Hannah finds someone else. it’s been a long time waiting to see what happens. maybe being trapped in the elevator will make it happen. I hope so.

Comment by Susan – January 13, 2011 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yesssss I hate seeing him w anyone else and she looks so sad…Im telling you if she doesnt soon I may jump thru the tv and attack him myself…hes a hottie:)

Comment by annick aldape – January 13, 2011 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yes please let them finally admit their love for each other it is so obvious it is time!!!!!

Comment by susan nielsen – January 13, 2011 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ditch whatsername! B&B all the way!

Comment by dan – January 13, 2011 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ok so this probably will make me sound like a bad person, but wen booth got the phone call that said hannah had been shot, i was kindof hopping she was dead and then bones would come to his rescue at the funeral and they wud kiss… lets just say after the 5 years of on again off again romance between hodgins and angela that finally worked out, i think the 6 years of on again off again romance between bones and booth is more than enuf… i wanna c them married by the end of season 7 please

Comment by Allison Long – January 13, 2011 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Laurie G – January 13, 2011 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You have to put them together you’ve been pulling it out for to long that its time to give us what we wont already and thats B&B.

Comment by sherie – January 13, 2011 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they don’t get rid of that far too perfect but ridiculously out of place girlfriend of his and get Booth and Brennan together, some of us may end up hating the show we used to love. Just saying.

Comment by Michelle C – January 13, 2011 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes!!!!!!! Do it!!!!

Comment by Glenn – January 13, 2011 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG!!! yes yes yes….there is no end to the possibilities for interaction if you finally hook them up…Booth’s blond is a bore! PLEEEEZZZZ let them have each other, then we can love vicariously through them!

Comment by Cris – January 13, 2011 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES !!! Do it…….We have been waiting for this since the begining :) Please do it NOW !!!!! Bdw, I Love this show !!

/ Jenny

Comment by Jenny Wolff – January 13, 2011 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sure, why not? They can always break up next season if it does not work out!

Comment by Lewis F. LaHaise – January 13, 2011 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree!! I have been waiting since Season 1 also!! Bones is awesome!! Sometimes they make Bones look too stupid but I still love the show!! :)

Comment by Chey Ann – January 13, 2011 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • no. that will incur the end of the show. half the fun and interest in watching it is from the inevitable attraction between the two and the tension it creates. unless you plan on this being the final season, which i would HATE, don’t bring them together

Comment by lucas – January 13, 2011 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You´re right please¡¡¡¡ please, come on to much time waiting bring in on

Comment by Mary Ox – January 13, 2011 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post