Exclusive

Bones Exclusive: Booth/Brennan Season-Ending Romance Subject of 'Spirited Debate,' Says Boss

Bones fans, grab a seat, and I mean grab it good, lest you be knocked out of it by what you’re about to read: This is the season Bones may finally go there with Booth and Brennan.

I kid you not.

Series creator Hart Hanson tells TVLine that the No. 1 topic of conversation in the show’s writers’ room is whether or not the star-crossed sleuths should end the season as a full-fledged couple.”What happens [as we wrap] between Booth and Brennan is the subject of a spirited and wide-ranging debate —and that’s the honest-to-God truth,” he say. “Some people think [we should go for it], and others are wildly against it. It’s a really interesting debate.”

One thing that’s certain is that Hanson and fellow exec producer Stephen Nathan will have to make a decision soon. The groundwork for a possible B&B hookup will be laid in this season’s 19th episode, which, as revealed in this week’s Ask Ausiello, finds them trapped in an elevator. “They’ll be forced together,” teases Hanson, “and they have to figure some things out.” (FYI: My Bones-obsessed former colleague at EW.com, Mandi Bierly, just posted some new details on the elevator episode.)

Your thoughts? Is it time for Bones to pull the trigger on Double B? Weigh in below!

1. Julie says:

I believe Bones and should be together. I also think the shows team will do it right. This is a great show. I don’t miss an episode. So I have faith in the writers doing a good job whichever way they decide to go with it.

2. Julie says:

I think Bones and Booth should be together. The writers have done a good job and I think they will do it right. I love Bones and won’t miss an episode. I say good going to the writers!

3. jennifer brown says:

Bones and booth should be together they are meant to be together.

4. Vangie Bocanegra says:

It’s about time. Bones and Booth are a great team. Professional and personal. I can’t wait to see what the writers come up with.

5. Em says:

I’m so excited about the season finale. I like Hannah, but I see no chemistry with her and Booth. Booth and Brennan NEED to be together!!
    I love the show so much!

6. Michelle Jasmer says:

I think that they should accept and follow the course of their relationship. They have bonded closer than most married people and have found true love. I think that it would be a shame to not see them admit their feelings. I would love to see them become a couple!!!

7. Martina Deakins says:

I feel that both sealy and brennan have a connection that if explored there would be many new possibilities for brennan to seem more down to earth even though hannah has added a new thrilling concept to bones…i would hate to see booth break up with her to explore this but it might work….

8. Linda says:

I think B&B should finally get together. I dont thing they should keep boucing around it. I believe the show would be even better if they did, as the other players keep it going as well. And I miss Zach. They should come into the present, and let him out due to goverment cut backs or something like that. Bring the team back together again! Zach was like Brenning, no real people skills, but an over abundance of brains. They do need to give Brennan more people skills, as it is hard to believe anyone with so much knowledge is so stupied with people. She needs more people skills!

9. Karen Wheat says:

I love Bones more than any “crime” show on TV. It would be exciting to see Sealy & Tempy get together, and then the interest would be in how they balance their personal lives and their professional lives. Usually, when the main characters become involved with each other romantically, it ruins the rest of the series. With this particular pairing, I can see so many situations in which their differences will keep things fresh. Even if they broke up eventually, I think they could remain partners because of the respect they have built between them. The characters on this show are the most interesting, lively and entertaining on any show, in my humble opinion!!

10. I’m torn. Yes Booth and Brennan should be closer. I’m not sure if putting them in bed together is the right thing to do though. I still remember how badly the Moonlight writers handled the Maddie and David romance. I will continue to trust the excellent writers on Bones.

11. Karen says:

YES, YES, YES………….THERE ARE SO MANY, MANY, FUNNY THINGS THAT THE STORY LINE COULD CONTINUE WITH WILL THEY MARRY WHAT ABOUT KIDS AND INVOLVED IN ALL THAT IS BRENNAN’S WEIRD WAY OF DEALING WITH LIFE AND BOOTH’S TACTFUL WAY OF SHOWING HER THE “NORM” AND OF COURSE MIXED IN THERE THE WONDERFUL MURDERS AND SCIENCE. BUT FOR GODS SAKE LETS GET THEM TOGETHER………

12. Lauri says:

As much as fans want them together, DO NOT, I repeat, do NOT let it happen. Every show that has teased the viewers about two of the fan favorites getting together ENDED within a few months of the characters consumating their relationship. If fans want Bones to stay on the air B&B must not become a couple. To name a few examples: Scarecrow and Mrs. King, Moonlighting, and Mary Tyler Moore. When Rhoda and Joe got married it spelled disaster for Joe, and he left the series. JAG waited until the last episode to get Harm and Mac together and our last look was watching them flip a coin to see who would remain in the Navy.

• Anonymous says:

I can’t speak for everyone, but I’ve actually stopped watching Bones on a regular basis because the will they/ won’t they for Booth and Brennan dragged on way too long, to the point I don’t even care anymore. Now, it’s too late to redeem the show – at least for this fan. They’ve already assasinated Booth’s character and destroyed the beautiful friendship between the two leads. While dangling the UST carrot stick works for a while on fans, eventually they’ve got to give the fans a bite or many of us will move on to a show that will. Psych and Chuck have gotten their main couples together and are doing just fine. (And hopefully Castle will too!) Great storytelling and respect for your fanbase is what keeps viewers coming back for more. As for Bones? I’m over it.

13. Linda S. Scott says:

BONES & Booth would be a cute couple. It would not be a boring between them.

14. Yeny says:

I think its about time Booth & Bones get together, we have been waiting seasons on end to finally see those two together. I am really upset he is now with hannah but extremely happy to know that might change. Please Please PLEASE get Booth and Brenann together ! :D

• Nancy says:

I agree with yeny. Brennan & Booth are an awesome couple. They have such great chrimisty together, there is none between Hannah & Booth. The show would be great with them together. Before the 100th episode they were together all the time they know each other so well. I don’t get it, why are the writers having disagreements about having them in a commited relationship. The fans have been teased that they would get together. The sparks have been flying between them, they have been a couple in all ways except, as HH says the nuckie. Now here comes Hannah, and the teasing has not stopped every interview HH & SN give they hint that a coming episode something will happen between them that we have been waiting for. Stop teasing and get them togeter.

15. Crystal says:

I have been waiting for them to get together since the very first espisode but I think if it did happen then I don’t know if i would like the show as much. The sexual tension that is going on between bones and booth is what makes the show so interesting to watch. I love the work that they do in the lab but the love that they have for each other is what keeps me watching. booth looks at bones the way that every woman wants to be looked at and if they were to get together and something happened and that love between them was gone i don’t think i would like the show as much.

16. C Thompson says:

I for one am sick of the bouncing back between Booth and Brennan. It’s getting really old. People talk like married people can’t have chemistry. I love what they’ve done with Angela and Hodgins. I think it’s great. I think getting Booth and Brennan together is the only thing they can do to save the show. I hate having Hannah in there. While she is there, there is no chemistry at all, and I think having her there has just about ruined the show. I can barely stand to watch it anymore. If Booth proposes to Hannah, I am done with the show.

17. Jen says:

I’m all for Booth and Brennan being together!! I was extremely ticked off when Hannah showed up! LOL Guess I just get into the show too much. I love this show!! I watch the old shows every chance I get and can’t wait for the new ones. Many thanks to everyone that makes this show such a success!!! The writers are awesome and the cast is AMAZING!!! I can’t wait to see what happens next… I do feel sorry for the cast member that plays Hannah, it would suck for everyone to want you to be killed off a show. LOL I think it would be an insult to Brennan to be hooked up with Booth as a rebound tho. I hope he makes the choice and puts her first instead. :D

18. Anonymus says:

i think it would be cool if they hide it from everyone and we can see how they are managing 2 hide their relationship.

19. sasha says:

What annoys me about UST, dangling carrots on sticks, and the like, is the fact that its not fair. eg Mulder and scully. I can’t bare the one step forwards two steps back thing ….eg. multitude of other shows….angel.buffy. etc. …smallville. (only now successful because the expected clark and lois are together). The writing is key…as anyone who watched Farscape would know, where there two leads got together and made it stronger.

For some shows though it doesn’t work….and thats why UST is crap as a way to keep ppl watching if the show itself, the premise, the writing isn’t good enough to hold someone through, that there needs to even be a pairing.

20. RondaRM says:

I just posted comments on the page from the original article about this very subject. It’s not the right time to put Booth and Bones together as a couple. If they do it now it will spell the end of the show. You have to keep that sexual tension going between the lead man and the lead woman untill your ready to end the show. Then in the last season put them together and use that last season to give the view errors

• RondaRM says:

I hit enter before I was finished with my comment. What I wanted to say was: use that last season to give the viewers everything they waited 4 & wanted in the relationship.

21. Nannykat says:

It’s about time Booth and Brennan get together. We’ve waited sooooooo long for this. I love Bones but if Booth stays with Hannah, I’m turning my TV off and reading a good Kathy Reichs book instead.

22. Nathalia says:

I think it’s just about time. I mean, i would love if it really happen… they are great together, they are actually really cute, i think would be amazing if they really got together, like for real…

• Dianna says:

“… they are great together, they are actually really cute, i think would be amazing if they really got together, like for real…”

This rang true for me as well — up to the 100 episode.

Since Booth put his feelings out there and Brennan said no … not so great together, not cute together either, not really together at all and both of them, not just their nonexistent relationship, feel UNreal.

It is all for a reason, so we are told, but …
      no way would them getting together right now feel “right” at all, not since everything that has happened (for both Booth AND Brennan).

23. Olivia Jones says:

BONES AND BOOTH NEED TO GET TOGETHER OR I WILL DIE, SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OR STOP WATCHING, BUT I PROBABLY WONT CAUSE ITS AMAZING, EXCEPT THAT HANNA IS IN THE FREAKING WAY!

24. mimi says:

Enough already. Get them together. They would have so much new material to work with cause Brennan isn’t exactly the lovey-dovey type it would be interesting to watch. Especially if they bring back the baby topic. I’m so fed up with the Hannah story that I don’t even watch Bones live any more, I tape it and watch it later.

25. Marissa says:

Two words: HELL YES

26. donna says:

bones and booth should be together, please i have been a fan since the begining and if this does not end with them falling for each other i will not allow myself to watch weekly series any more. this one has to happen . please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. sandi says:

The chemistry between Booth and Brennan is soooo strong in definitely needs to be explored and they need to be together.

28. Nikki says:

Normally I say no to partnerships turning romantic, it just smacks of Hollywood. But I believe that the writers and actors on Bones over the seasons have shown a great warmth grow between these two characters. With that said I truely would rather neither of the two characters have a study love story sideline. You have that with other charcters on the show. I would rather B&B just be B&B and solve cases. If not then they should be involved with each other and no one outside. Then the show would be like Moonlighting but better.

29. Linda says:

It’s about time!! With Bones & Booth togther, their chemistry and the crime solving/cases are unlimited. In my opinion, these 2 actors have great, dynamic energy a la Tracy & Hepburn. There is a litany of great detective couples: Nick & Nora Charles (The Thin Man), Hart to Hart, and McMillan & Wife. There is so much room to grow this storyline with Booth & Bones as well as with Angela & Jack, Camille & her special someone. Perhaps hopelessly romantic, but why not!

30. A says:

Considering 90% of these comments are PRO B&B, I’d say the show would be committing suicide if they let it drag on any further than it already has…. IT’S TIME! I’ve been waiting since the first season to see Booth and Brennan together! The biggest problem with TV shows is that when they put couples together they always end up doing something stupid to make them a miserable couple… why can’t they just make things work??? Sure real-life couples have issues sometimes… but people work through them and keep on being in love!! If you put Booth and Brennan together… make sure it works and they stay together! Because if they ever broke them up, I think the show would suffer for it.

31. Linda says:

I would hate to see the show tank because of the prolonged resistance to get Booth And Brennen together. Fans will and are getting frustrated and are being driven away. Please get Seely and Brennen together, it’s the right thing to do. I for one will still watch after they do get together. I think it will open up more dynamics of the show for the writters to play with. Fun and games are over..now get down to the LOVE business. One does not just “Get Over” someone and move on. Inside it flame is still there. The Seely character is fooling himself and so is Brennen. Beside it would give your fans what they want and it will be good for the ratings and the show.

32. Sheila says:

Just get them together already!

33. Phyllis says:

I have been a fan of this show for just a little. I found it by accident and have been catching up with the repeats ever since. I think B&B should be together if the writers do it right. I have read books with the main characters together and have become a whole series of books. This too can happen and should. But, let the writers go about it the correct way and it could be so much fun as the main characters are so different. They complement each other in so many ways.

34. Norma Padin says:

Yeeeesssss. Its about time they get together. Don’t keep on waiting anymore

35. olodeco says:

It has been six years. Do it now or just end the show. There has to be some aspect of reality to this show in their personal lives. Who takes six years to get together?

36. Mimi says:

NO NO NO!! IT WILL RUIN THE SHOW!! DON’T DO IT!! REMEMBER MOONLIGHTING WITH BRUCE WILLIS AND CYBIL SHEPARD? IT WAS THE DEATH OF THE SHOW! PLEASE DON’T PULL THE TRIGGER!

37. Kir says:

Yes!!!! It Is Time For them to get together

38. Carmen says:

DEFINATELY!!! I havent missed a beat with these guys! t least give it a chance. I do think it will require new twists and turns. It cant be a happily ever after or it will be a horrible Buffy repeat. (Im a big David B fan. =]) But it the show needs to take the next step for sure. Weve seen this for years now…we know how each episode ends…in denial. Story might start getting old.

39. Linda says:

After 5 years of leading up to it and a so far crappy 6th season they better get them together. Once they get over the Hannah hurdle there’s no where else to go that would make any sense at all. Please get them together!!

40. Christie P says:

I think there needs to be a huge cliffhanger at the end of the season.
    Maybe it ends with a passionate kiss or a look.

I want them to be together but I don’t want them to be thrown together. Maybe something has them comforting each other?
    Its a dicey situation because you want them together but you don’t want to do it over the top to cause the ratings to go down the tubes.
    I can’t wait to see what y’all come up with.

41. Sharon says:

The more I think about this, the more I have to wonder what are the writers afraid of? Brennan and Booth love each other, (Booth might not be fully aware of his feelings yet), the fans want them together, (98% of us do anyway), so what on earth is the problem? Do they not realize the multitude of writing possibilities this would give them? Do they need help in understanding that having them as a proper couple, with terrific story lines would NOT hurt the show but would help it?

42. Taylor Mae says:

Please get them together! Ugh I think we have been waiting long enough to see them together!! So please get them together!!!(:

43. J says:

Just for fun, Barbie Loves Booth…
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf3p7P7tfyM&feature=related Haha, cute!
    Yes, pleeeeeease bring Booth and BONES together forever, (and let BONES keep her warm, tender, NORMAL personality! ~ not robotic!) Thank You! AND DON’T TAKE THEM OFF THE AIR!!!!!!! PS, there seems to be more than one J in here.

44. annie says:

Please, please, please make it happen. I can see a whole new exciting storyline, with Brennan and Booth being married, adjusting to that, then having children and adjusting to that while at the same time still working together. With Hodgekins and Angela working along side and also sharing parenting challenges. WOW I think this could have a whole new storyline and we could see them progress in their new roles as a couple and parents while still solving crimes. I can see Brennan blossoming as a wife and mom and the writers can take all the fans along on this new ride. C’mon Hart give us a new and exciting story line.

45. Luiza says:

Please this need to happen!!Is totally time!!!
    They need to be together!!!B&B 4 EVER!!!

46. Kristine says:

Yes, it’s time now. We have waited for this since the first season.

47. thumper says:

god please let it happen… i’m all for developing relationships but this has gone too long and i don’t come to watch this show only to see them setting up for yet another heartbreak crash and burn scenario every week. i’m not asking for los vegas weddings or the two suddenly having lots of babies or double rainbows or whatever… just get them together and build up from there.

48. Libby says:

For God’s sake get them together!!!! After watching the worst season ever of Bones we faithful fans deserve more. This season stories have been tedious and boring with one or two exceptions. Barbie is out of the picture now and please don’t let her come back. I will really stop watching since I have gagged at the whole Hannah thing being shoved down our throats at the expense of the other characters we love.

49. Helen Janes says:

Please do not jump the shark, on BONES, leave good enough alone, or you will lose it all