Exclusive

Bones Exclusive: Booth/Brennan Season-Ending Romance Subject of 'Spirited Debate,' Says Boss

Bones fans, grab a seat, and I mean grab it good, lest you be knocked out of it by what you’re about to read: This is the season Bones may finally go there with Booth and Brennan.

I kid you not.

Series creator Hart Hanson tells TVLine that the No. 1 topic of conversation in the show’s writers’ room is whether or not the star-crossed sleuths should end the season as a full-fledged couple.”What happens [as we wrap] between Booth and Brennan is the subject of a spirited and wide-ranging debate —and that’s the honest-to-God truth,” he say. “Some people think [we should go for it], and others are wildly against it. It’s a really interesting debate.”

One thing that’s certain is that Hanson and fellow exec producer Stephen Nathan will have to make a decision soon. The groundwork for a possible B&B hookup will be laid in this season’s 19th episode, which, as revealed in this week’s Ask Ausiello, finds them trapped in an elevator. “They’ll be forced together,” teases Hanson, “and they have to figure some things out.” (FYI: My Bones-obsessed former colleague at EW.com, Mandi Bierly, just posted some new details on the elevator episode.)

Your thoughts? Is it time for Bones to pull the trigger on Double B? Weigh in below!

1. Alex says:

YES. They belong together <3
    Please let it happen!

2. theresa says:

yesssssssssss. get them together now.

3. Arcadia says:

Shut the front door!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let them get together. I think the fans have suffered enough.

4. Allison says:

PULL THE TRIGGER ALREADY!!!!

I’ve been a slave to Netflix instant streaming of seasons 1-5 and it was evident (and painful) to see the chemistry. Make it happen! Other shows are doing it and they’re fine.

5. Petra says:

YES, PLEASE!

6. Danielle says:

I think six seasons has been long enough… and the natural progression appears to be there. After six seasons of a show, sometimes storylines tend to get repeated or take a turn for the worse. A Brennan/Booth relationship would open the doors to an entirely new catalog of plots.

7. Beckett says:

Not falling for it …. this, in my opinion, is the equivalent of dangling a carrot in the face of the pairing. This is the danger …. people will start (or have already) not to care anymore.

• freed says:

I totally agree with Beckett – the danger is in too much delay. Many fans are getting tired of all the maneuvering to keep them apart. We get that some shows go south when the leads get together, but it’s almost past time for Booth and Brennan.

• castiella says:

Agreed. I stopped watching the show after season 5, and I’m not tuning in again until they’ve got the B&B storyline back on track.

It’s not so much that I’m dying to see them together, it’s that the PTB’s efforts to keep them apart have led to some less-than-credible writing and lots of OOC-ness for the lead characters. It doesn’t make sense, and it’s a bit of an insult to both the actors and the viewers.

• Christt says:

Couldn’t have said it better myself. I know the creators/writers fancy this as a procedural first, but the mysteries have been sorely lacking and so has the relationship. I deleted the last several eps from last season from the DVR without watching and i don’t feel like i missed much. Hope h. Hanson isn’t jerking everyone around yet again….honestly….spirited debate? Really?

8. MKS says:

YES. It’s been long enough already! Plus, with Bones having confessed feelings at last, it’s really leading to great timing this season for them to finally embark on what viewers have been wanting forever.

9. Jule says:

God, PLEASE let them finally go for it!
    I can’t bear this any longer… I still havn’t watched the last couple of minutes of the last episode cause I couldn’t bear Brennan crying so bitterly…
    They should go for it, MAKE IT GOOD but don’t let their romance run over the rest of the show…

10. Andrea says:

YES! It’s time to get them together now. It’s been six seasons and it’s getting a little ridiculous that they’re not together. They’ve both declared their feelings, and Hannah seems to be the last obvious obstacle. Any other delays will simply feel [more] forced.

11. ADaisie says:

Decisions.. Decisions..

12. CB says:

IT IS TIME!!!!

Yes, they should go for it… Seriously! Take it slow (S7 dating and trying to establish a sturdy relationship and S8 going for the living together and facing live together then) but DO IT!

There is SO much potential with them as a couple since obviously, things are no smooth sailing with these two but THAT is the challenge. God knows this season so far was pure torture.

• Kimberly says:

I agree….they need to get together…I have waited and now it needs to happen.
      They belong together

13. Kristen says:

The writers need to make it happen, and soon. If they don’t want a “Who’s The Boss?” thing on their hands….

• Cass says:

Difference is, the premise of WHO’S THE BOSS (a show I love!) was a man and woman who, no matter how much they wanted to, could never really quite get together or make it work. The end of the series was far more together and hopeful than was originally intended, if its star is to be trusted.

14. emy26 says:

oh my gosh, are you kidding? of course booth and brennan have got to hook up and become a couple by the end of the season! their storyline of will-they/won’t they have been going on for years, i think it’s high time they get it to the next level and let’s face it they’ve been in love since the beginning of the show for christ’s sake! the writers should totally go for it!! *fingers crossed*

15. Sarah says:

I believe it when I see it.

After all this time I’m really done speculating, but this is long overdue.

16. Rusty says:

I would love to see them get together. But how they would interact as far as cases go…..????? It may be a stretch, we already have one couple working together Angela and Jack. What may work is have Booth break up with Molly or maybe kill her off. Have her get bored with Washington and go back to the war as a corespondent and then have her killed by a IED while with the troops? Then have Bones and Booth start to get back together next season slowly working up to a hook up for the finale of next years season.

17. Cooley says:

God, do it. It’s getting so old/ridiculous at this point.

18. Angela Roelofs says:

YES YES YES!!!! Frankly I lost interest in the show when they introduced Hannah’s character. She’s likable, but it was the chemistry between B&B that kept me coming back for more. I love this show dearly, but if they keep the whole Hannah story line going I won’t be running to my TV every time a new show comes on. I’ll probably just catch up online whenever I feel bored. However, if they get rid of this Hannah nonsense I’ll do pretty much whatever I have to to get to that TV when a new show comes on!
    Hannah = boring!!
    If Hart Hanson is smart he’ll get rid of Hannah before this show tanks.

19. Miranda says:

YES!!! Seven years for the two is long enough. The way they handled both his feelings in the 100th episode and her feelings in 6×09 were GREAT—but eventually those two ships that pass in the night must collide, and I can’t wait for that to happen.

20. diana says:

YES, PLEASE! if they don’t get together this season they don’t have to bother by renewing it for another season. it has been too much time watching the will they – won’t they.
    i seriously hope this is for real!

21. Cass says:

Am hopeful, but love the show regardless.

• Cass says:

P.S. I know it’s a problem with the rules in place for FBI romance, as Brennan herself has mentioned, but I think B&B would be absolutely hysterical as a couple.

22. Kali says:

YES – it is time!!
    please make it happen and let us be looking forward to a sesaon of Booth/Brennan couple deliciousness – please!

you have a very creative team, Mr Hanson – you can make it happen so that Bones will still be as brilliant and fun, if not more so, once you bring the star-crossed couple finally (!!!) together.

23. Mark says:

Bones’ problem has always been a startling lack of subtlety. I mean, with something like The X-Files, it was always a question of IF a hook-up was going to happen, not when, so they could get away with a 6 year build up.

But it was ridiculously clear from the pilot what Bones was up to and that there was going to be a romance between Booth and Brennan, and quite frankly, you don’t get to dither away for 6 years. That’s anti-climactic, and people have lost interest.

So I suppose my answer is “Yes” and “It should have happened a year or so ago”.

24. LJ says:

Hmm. The publicity machine is really cranking up in the face of new competition, isn’t it? I smell fear.

Really not falling for it. After seeing Booth with Hannah, I’m really not sure I want to see Brennan going for it with him so soon. It’s going to take quite a lot for me to believe it should happen and significant quantities of brain bleach.

Couldn’t we have just skipped the whole utterly pointless Hannah storyline?

Calm down peeps, this is just like every other time they’ve screwed with the fans.

25. isa says:

It’s been six years. It’s time.

Although it should have happened last season.

26. Kim says:

If I had my way, they would be married with 10 kids by now. GET THEM TOGETHER ASAP PLEASE!

27. Myra says:

After the way things ended on the last (new) episode I had decided not to watch anymore. I will watch if they finally get B&B together. It’s stupid that they’ve dragged it out this long but I can forgive them if they finally make it right!

28. Michael says:

I don’t watch Bones, but it’s one of the better things that happened on Chuck. If the audience is a fan of the two being together then they’re going to want to see the trials and tribulations that go into their being a couple.

• isa says:

I agree. Chuck is still amazing now that Chuck and Sarah are together (despite the mom storyline getting a little old).

29. Carolyn says:

Oh no, here comes the Moonlighting effect…

• Kat says:

I’m sorry, but I hate it when people say that. There were a myriad of factors that cancelled Moonlighting, the get-together admittedly among them, but it wasn’t alone. If anything, the only choice they have to retain Bones’ rating IS to get them together… any longer would be ridiculous, and to disperse it completely would get rid of the main hook of the show for many people.

• Robin says:

Thank you. I agree. Moonlighting went down the drain when Maddy & Dave finally got together.

30. Ezza says:

Oh god I am so excited! Had a moment of panic though, Bones hasnt been renewed for next year yet. What if this means that’s it? I would die. Hart Hanson said he would never put them together on the final ever episode but this says they might end the season as a fully-fledged couple. It will probably take a few eps for this to happen.

31. kate says:

They should. I’m all for playing out the romantic tension for a while and trying to keep the show interesting, but eventually (and six seasons should count as “eventually”) you have to give in. Otherwise, what was all this leading to? And as much as I like Hannah and Booth, there’s something there that’s just not quite right. I’m surprised that Booth with his far more in-tuned instincts can’t see that as great as Hannah is, she’s not Brennan; and he clearly still wants it to be Brennan.

Besides, this would be a great guide for Castle, because honestly if they take six/seven years to get Castle and Beckett together, I’m not going to be as happy about it. Especially since she recognized her feelings for him at the end of season 2.

• isa says:

I agree with this. It won’t take six years on Castle though, that’s pretty obvious. I think that the creators of Castle are much more in tune with their fans, and they seem to be building the Castle/Beckett romance quite nicely and at a decent pace (especially considering next week’s promo!!)

32. LJ says:

There is nothing I hate more than referencing ‘The Moonlighting Effect’. There are so many reasons why that show went wrong, god knows how many years ago now. And none of them have to do with them putting the leads together. Sorry Carolyn, this isn’t meant as a personal attack, but it’s wheeled out every time in relation to Bones and I actually think it’s irrelevant now. If anything, delaying Bones and Booth with the ridiculous Hannah plotline has done more damage than B/B together ever would have done.

Chuck this season, with Chuck and Sarah together has been AWESOME. I don’t see anyone referring to that.

• Jillybeans says:

Actually it had a huge part to do with why the show started sucking because, when they weren’t a couple, they could shift easily from actual plot to character development to sexual tension. When they became a couple, you couldn’t shift because they could never not be in a relationship and that stunts character development, and that in turn stunts plot development.

33. Emma says:

Yes. It’s about time! Otherwise the hook-up will loose it’s charm and people get just bored of waiting. And please no boring dream sequencies or alternative universes or fabricated trips to funnyfarms, or time shifters, that would be just so lame.

34. LJ says:

Honestly guys, if you fall for this, you’re going to be SO disappointed by the end of the season. Don’t put yourselves through it.

35. Angela says:

People have NOT lost interest as you can see by the respones here

Yes put them together but don’t rush it. Let them build up to it and go full fledged romance next season

• Ace says:

Don’t rush it? It’s been SIX YEARS. “Rushing it” went out the window sometime around Season 3 when they faked Booth’s death.

36. carly says:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS its abt freakin time omg eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee cant wait my B&B heart is full of joy!<333

37. Jillybeans says:

As much as I love the idea about the two of them, I kinda want it to happen towards the end of the show’s run. I’d hate to have a “Moonlighting” situation that ruins the whole show for me.

38. Grant says:

Bones is so crappy this year, I dont believe a word they say. Wasted 6 years on this show and continue to STALL STALL STALL. I wont buy it till I see it and so far I see NOTHING.

• bonescrazy says:

I don’t how many or anyone will agree me but I think Booth( or even Brennan)should propose marriage.Then the problem IMO would be better!!

39. Lily says:

all I have to say is, It’s about time!!!

40. Baptiste says:

Booth should hold out for Emily D’s much cuter sister.

41. Chrissy says:

I can see why they wouldn’t want to yet but like Danielle said above, it would open up lots of new plot lines. I’d love it if they kept it to themselves for a while and see how they act in front of everyone else. Sweets would have a field day:) They need to stop stringing along the fans or AT LEAST have them start acting like their old selves and be good friends again, this season is just uncomfortable so far!

42. Joe says:

the moment when Booth kissed Bones and said let’s go for it and she said no was enough for me. i’m perfectly fine with them walking away from that potential relationship

• Joliene says:

Right on Chrissy! This season is an emabarrassment to Brennen. Booth is “taken by Hannah.” If this is the story line for this season then let Brennen’s past lover sail back to DC and sweep her off her feet. After all, she actually cried when Jack sailed off to explore the world. And, I cried too!

43. Jamie says:

This spoiler is about as real as the “real sex” at the end of Season 4.
    HH is mistaking frustration with interest. Interested viewers keep watching. Also, he can’t have it both ways- pretend online viewers are negligible, then spin their complaints as a sign of the storyline’s success.

44. fan from latinamerica says:

PLEASE LET THIS BE POSSIBLE…I love the show, and lately I am tired and sick of the plot…and of course I am tired of Hannah and also I am sick of the really stupid way the writers managed this whole mess…if all this pain is just to have the long awaited B&B hookup, I think I should see and really enjoy the show again!
    But I have my reservations, I used to respect HH but lately he’s being so rude with fans, and in the last two season he lied to us (season 5 finale and also the big pay off for the 100th episode) that I am not sure about this. They broke my heart so many times this season, that I am skeptical…the sad thing is this season’s writing made me lose my Bones’s obssesion, and now I feel almost apathetic about this story. The writers ruined the characters, they made us hate Booth, who become a rude a-hole with his friends and his partner, they ignored the rest of the main cast given them a little screen time, and also they forgot to make good and interesting cases, all of that for that Hannah story line…is not just B&B is the way they ruined the show, HH & Co need to fix this soon, and they need more than just an elevator scene…or they going to fix this like they managed Hodgins and Ange relationship…with another anticlimatic hookup?? Please if they are going to fix the show and finally make B&B a real couple, just DO IT WELL

45. Erin says:

If it worked for Lois & Clark on Smallville and House & Cuddy on House, it can work for Booth & Brennan. I’m not sure what the writer and producers are afraid of…there is proof that it can be done, and done well.

46. Elli says:

I agree with Chrissy this has been an akward season and they need to bring back the old B’s and what better way than a relationship. Like Angela said they where a couple they just weren’t sleeping with each other.

47. Mousie says:

I can’t believe HH is resorting to begging for viewers like this. Heh. Karma’s a B****.

48. rachel says:

YES. Please. Finally. Sick of the back and forth!!!! Viewers needs some gratification!

49. Mon11 says:

Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. Why else would I have endured the terrible episodes we have had this season ?

50. Sarah says:

I think they should go for it, especially if they write it along similar lines as Kathy Reichs does in the Bones books. Tempe and Ryan’s on again/off again relationship is fulfilling but still has enough tension to keep you interested.

• Ger says:

If they get together by the end of the season (and I hope that they do), TPTB have to keep them together…I would hate for it to be an ‘on again, off again’ thing! We have waited so long for this…when they do, get together, it has to be for keeps…Think of the storylines we could have…They would be the hottest couple on TV and I for one would never tire of that…

• Sue and Dave says:

I’d love to see it, but we’re both afraid that it would put the kiss of death on the series. However, if they do get together and there is a baby, that may add some excitement possibilities to the show – hmmm.

• Aussie fan says:

I agree. The books do the on again off again relationship thing well. I am sure the TV series could too.

• sherry spechtenhauser says:

i would totally love to see them get together.. they would be the greatest couple on tv and i would totally watch them..!!

• leeanne robertson says:

i hope they do get together they would make a wonderful
      couple i don’t want it to be a dream or one off they are ment
      to be together wether bones likes it or not l

i love the show never miss it

• Lynette says:

I am a die hard Bones fan. I even watch all the old ones that come on over the weekend. Absolutely love Booth and Brennan. I do not remember seeing Emily Deschanel before Bones and she is a delight as an actress. Of course love David Boreanaz from Angel and Buffy that at the time my teenage daughters watched. Like him better as Booth!

I would love to see them become a couple with all the trials and tribulations and love that couples have. It would add to the dynamic of their relationship and along with many fans have assumed they would eventually be together.

Through this show my granddaughter and I have developed a common love of Dechanel’s, as my granddaughter has been a fan of the group She and Him with Zooey Deschanel.

Absolutely ! Love the show and yes to the love relationship with Bones and Brennan!!!!