TVLine Items: Law & Order: LA Shake-Up, and Other TV News to Know

Brace yourselves, Law & Order: Los Angeles fans. The following behind-the-scenes shake-up scoop will shock you…

After a slow start this fall, creator Dick Wolf has decided to revamp the NBC spinoff, starting with some huge departures. TV Squad has confirmed rumors that series star Skeet Ulrich will be leaving his role as lead detective in March, and per Deadline, female castmembers Regina Hall and Megan Boone are on their way out as well.

To fill the void, Alfred Molina’s DA character is set to return to his crimefighting roots, while Terrence Howard will now appear in every episode on LOLA as the resident District Attorney.

And that’s not all!

The Wrap reports that Showtime has also passed on The History Channel’s just-axed miniseries, The Kennedys. “Although [it] is well produced, well acted and a quality piece of work, it doesn’t fit Showtime’s programming brand,” read a network statement.

Pretty Little Liars has cast more yummy eye candy, says Zap2it. Meet newbie Tilky Montgomery. He’s “mysterious.”

• Per EW.com, Showtime is in early talks to develop a Hard Knocks-type docuseries that will focus on MLB’s San Francisco Giants.

What say you about those LOLA shake-ups? Fill us in below!

1. Melody says:

I liked the original Law and Order, the rest of them are just flimsy copies of that one, but I like Skeet so I’ve been watching LOLA and now my only reason for tuning into that show is gone so I guess it’s one less show on my DVR.

• Alicia says:

Why watch with Skeet Ulrich gone? He was the ONE that should have stayed!!!! Terrence Howard is good in his role, but really, Skeet was the reason I watched.

2. Lincoln says:

Regarding L&O, I’m not surprised, to be honest. I caught a couple of episodes and Skeet didn’t seem that good. He seemed a bit stiff & the acting wasn’t very good, IMO. I’m sad to hear Regina Hall is out. Let me just say that Dick Wolf should retire. He’s a pompous man who is all about the money and not about acknowledging what viewers want to see.

3. Dominique says:

Oh come one, give Skeet a break, he can never be a little lucky when it comes to roles on tv shows, can he?
    I agree that his acting hasn’t always been stellar on L&O, but it’s something enitrely different from what he usually does, I think he just needs to get used to it.

4. Lorie says:

I was forcing myself to watch LOLA soley b/c of Skeet. I’m now free of one hour of TV viewing.

• tahonia says:

You’ve said exactly what I was going to post. I like the dark New York feel of the other franchises, the light and victims just make it seem like any other show on tv, and make it seem like they just slapped a L&O label on so they could market it better. If Skeet is gone, so am I.

• Sarah says:

Same here! There’s no reason for me to watch anymore if Skeet’s not on it. Here’s hoping he’s back on our TVs soon!

• GeeMa says:

I agree. Now have a free hour. Skeet needs to be in something where he has more action. Loved Jericho. They need to get that cast back together. A modern day western – what not to love.

5. Well, where to start….

This whole series needed some sort of revamp, and this is a good start. Kind of like 100 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean. I can’t even picture the faces of the two actresses you named, so, they won’t be missed, and as far as Skeet goes, well, good riddance.

I truly feel this version was horribly miscast in the first place, the only one that seems real is the bald detective that they’re keeping, so, that’s cool.

6. AlistairCrane says:

I like Skeet, but this role wasn’t really good enough for him.

7. Why Regina has to go? why?

8. JRS831 says:

The only thing I liked for this version of L&O was Skeet. With him leaving, I will not watch it. Not crazy enough about the rest of the cast. I loved the original and this one just doesn’t do it for me.

9. Lola says:

Without Skeet I won’t watch.. It’s ok though, I was never really a big fan of this L&O version.

Although, I did enjoy the various cameo’s by the stars of ‘Jericho’.

10. Peggy says:

I have to join the others who have said they only watch it because of Skeet and without him, I will have another free hour. I actually thought it was a pretty good show.

11. Drew H says:

Skeet was really the only reason I watched. I’ll keep watching as long as he’s on and then I’m out.

12. EM says:

Didn’t realize Skeet had so many fans. But really, he wasn’t a good fit for this show. They should do like they did for L&O:CI, bring back someone from the original show like Benjamin Bratt or something. I loved the L&O cast from the last couple of years so any of them would be good to have transfer to L.A.

13. Jaclyn says:

I find Skeet absolutely engaging. It is constant tinkering that ruins shows!

14. KevyB says:

Frankly, Skeet would’ve been better as some free-wheeling, go-for-broke DA than some straight-laced detective. Beyond him, the rest of the cast just wasn’t gelling either, no matter how good each individual was. Remember the last cast of L&O? The court portion of each episode was always riveting, with Sam Waterston, Alana de la Garza and Linus Roache having great chemistry together. And they all had great chemistry with the detectives, who had great chemistry with each other. That’s just not present now, and Skeet is one of the problems. Personally, I’d move Jeremy Sisto into the role. He was a fish out of water in NYC; he can be one in LA. If not him, Anthony Anderson would be fine. And if neither of them, Cutter could finally get fired by McCoy and move west.

• Mykey716 says:

Totally agree, KevyB! Definitely no chemistry in this cast! I was trying to figure out why it seemed so ‘off’ and boring! You nailed it and great suggestions in bringing some of the former L&O (NY) out to LA….and a much more believable storyline than Alfred Molina’s character (DA) going back to being a cop! (Really – after all those yeas of law school, you’d rather be a cop? Please)
      I really don’t see this show lasting….probably be lucky to finish out the 1st season!

15. toast says:

Eh… I don’t really care for Skeet myself, I barely tolerated him on the awesome series Jericho. With that said, I think NBC should have just let the original L&O go another season or two. Maybe they should just put Law and Order UK on NBC instead.

Well, now the only thing I have to hope for, is that Munch shows up on LOLA & L&O: UK

16. Cynthia says:

I really liked Skeet in this show and I’m not fond of Molina so I’m very unhappy about the shift. I thought the show was doing a great job of capturing Hollywood while still maintaining the Law & Order vibe.

17. Connie says:

I only gave L&O LA a chance due to Skeet being on. I like Terence Howard a lot. And he is the only reason i will continue to give it a chance. But i am so disappointed. I really liked Skeet on here.

18. Carol says:

I would love to see Sam Waterston and Linus Roache move out to LA to continue their roles in a new location. As it is now, LOLA just doesn’t have the grit or intrigue that the original version had. Skeet was miscast and blah as a detective without any zing and all the DAs were charisma-challenged in the extreme. I miss the old L&O so much.

19. sylvie says:

Skeet and his partner were a great eminently watchable ad relatable team. Out of everyone else, Terence Howard is fantastic and I thought his partner was good. I have a hard time remembering any of the others.

20. daisy west says:

i will no longer wwath the shhow. skeet was great. you guys will be sorry you let him go