Ratings: NCIS Cops Largest Audience Ever

You don’t mess with Jethro Gibbs, folks.

Now in its eighth season, CBS’s NCIS scored its largest audience ever — ever — this Tuesday night, averaging almost 22 million total viewers. NCIS also recorded its best 18-49 rating since October 2009.

Accordingly, NCIS: Los Angeles had a big night as well, delivering its biggest audience in over a year (18 million viewers).

Elsewhere on Tuesday night:

* Now facing fresh NCIS: LA fare, ABC’s V still retained 88 percent of its Season 2 premiere audience, and bested Fox’s Million Dollar Money Drop in viewers and the demos.

* At 10 o’clock, The Good Wife dominated, beating its combined CBS and NBC competition by 12 percent in total viewers (with 12.2 million).

* Despite The Good Wife‘s return with new episodes, NBC’s plucky Parenthood scored its second-highest audience and demos since September 21.

1. Michael Sacal says:

I like how while everyone else is shouting that the sky is falling in relation to V’s ratings, you keep a positive spin on it.

I for one hope the show does get renewed because it’s been awesome.

• Zach says:

I was thinking the exact same thing! I agree that this season’s first 2 eps have been much better and, though I have no real hope for it, I would like it to be picked up again cause Elizabeth Mitchell mentioned in an interview that this season does build for an even bigger battle in a possible 3rd season. It would be a shame to never get to see it.

2. John says:

Last night’s V represented, to me, a show that finally focused and figured out what the heck it wants to be. Bring more on.

As for NCIS: I’ve seen episodes. I enjoy them. Especially in USA marathon format. But I know exactly ONE person who watches the show on Tuesday nights. Who are these 22 million people?

• tahonia says:

me! I never miss my NCIS!

• Tammy says:

I’m one. My best friend from college watches. My mom is another. My brother, his wife, and 3 kids are 5 more. Last week I bought season 1 of NCIS and the woman at the checkout counter told me it was her favorite show, so there’s another.

There’s 8.

• Nerwen Aldarion says:

Me…but I’m beginning to wonder why, this season has been such a snooze fest.

• Melody says:

ME!! One of my favorite shows. I also own all the available seasons on DVD, although with USA I really don’t need them. LOVE me some McGeek. Actually, most people I know watch the show each week.

3. SomeDoug says:

At 10pm, it is very impressive that “The Good Wife” beat its own network (plus a second network) by 12%!!

4. Allison says:

John, one of those people would be me. NCIS then NCIS LA then the Good Wife – my tuesday night schedule :)

5. xaverie says:

LOVED NCIS last night. I loved Agent Abby working with Gibbs. Those two had a really great chemistry and I loved the two of them talking with our Abby. I definitely hope she recurs in the vein of Fornell, often.

And, of course, the Good Wife was brilliant.

• Melody says:

I agree, I like her presence on the show. She’s got good chemistry with the cast. I’ve been missing Fornell and I hope to see him drop in soon.

6. Luke says:

Remarkable… awesome shows get cancelled and this stuff gets 22 million… Terriers opening titles is more enjoyable than whole 8 seasons of this crap put together…

• timotey says:

Fortunately, almost 22 mil. people don’t agree with you, me included.

And I tried Terriers, didn’t even make it through the pilot episode. I’m not saying it’s a bad show, just not a series for me. So, as they say, quality is subjective :)

• znachki says:

I love – and loved them both. It’s not an either/or.

7. dontpanic says:

I’m a little surprised at how well NCIS does seeing as CBS doesn’t really promote the show very much. The cast is almost never in the headlines, or out promoting the show in talkshows. I think most people wouldn’t even be able to name most of the actors on the show.

I’m happy for them though! The show is surprisingly good (just started watching last season)! Also, I think I’m developing a girl crush on Pauley Perrette.

• Lisa Marie says:

It’s a procedural, and one starring Mark Harmon, who a lot of people absolutely recognize. You don’t have to watch every episode to understand what’s going on (even if there are continuing side storylines). It’s easy to watch an episode even if you’ve missed the last several. That’s unlike serial dramas that require you to keep up with the storyline or risk not understanding each episode. It helps that it was a brand new episode that wasn’t facing much competition last night.

I’m probably biased against NCIS, though, because I think there are far too many procedurals on TV. It’s not that I think it’s a bad show–it’s not a bad show. It’s just that the more procedurals there are, the less space there is for serial dramas (which, IMO, tend to be more unique and have more room for creativity).

• tahonia says:

serial dramas are good–Dallas kept me at home back in the days when I didn’t need to BE home. But I don’t like the way that serial dramas force you to a committment to the show, and then TPTB decide to move the night and time, and then it’s just not convenient any more and you are amazingly surprised how easy it was not to watch it any more…..The thing I enjoy the most about NCIS is the character interaction. IMHO, I think NCIS has more character development than a lot of the other procedurals, albeit the development happens in a sort of unnatural way–using Tony’s father in a case, Gibbs’ dad being central in the investigation, Ziva’s brother and father being themselves…. But I really like NCIS, even if they did kill off Kate.

8. Maria G says:

It’s not just Gibbs, it’s the entire cast. I, for one, can’t wait to see whose butt Ziva kicks next unexpectedly.

9. John says:

Thanks for the partial elightenment, Allison. Like I said, very enjoyable, but the fan base doesn’t seem much more visible than, say, the mere 5ish million that watch 30 Rock regularly. At any rate, good for them for keeping the episode supply well stocked for my next USA marathon.

10. Boiler says:

Perhaps the Glee rerun added a few million?

11. Meri says:

I like Agent Abby, I hope she becomes a regular! Why doesn’t NCIS ever get critical acclaim? It is so well written, funny, and has a great cast!

12. Mikaylah says:

I love NCIS! But this season has not been the best. I’m a fan of Tiva, but they should either do something with them soon or scrap it all together.

13. Kaite says:

Show is always the number 1 scripted show, people love it, but where is the love for NCIS!? No Emmy, GG, SAG? NOTHING!

14. Olyve says:

What about the game on BET being the highest rated scripted programming on basic cable? ever?

15. reddeadgrl says:

the viewings for this show is the same as the whole population of my country (australia)!!!!